Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_the_Good_Little_Witch
youtube.com/watch?v=dSnlJW_ytMI
youtube.com/watch?v=-fSlPabCDFQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love sailor moon

Everyone wishes they could be a magical girl
EVERYONE

I'd argue that Magical Girl is already a genre on it's own and not just limited to Sailor Moon...

But we all know these were all inspired somewhat by Sailor Moon (Except the frog one probably?). Hey, at least Steven is a Magical Boy.

I genuinely don’t understand your problem here. Do you think artists just invent ideas in a vaccum?

>Boy
That's highly debatable. Even if he wasn't half gay rock, he'd never be a man

I wish I could be a magical girl (boy).

Japanese women are pretty darn creative.

If he wasn't half gay rock he would probably have been raised by his dad instead of the gay rocks.

Sailor moons is fucking great, get fucked OP

The point OP is making is that all those women are ripping off Sailor Moon.

How would you describe the difference between Magical Girl stories and traditional Young Hero stories?

>women ruin everything
In other news, water is wet.

but they arent

Sailor moon is great you faggot.

In any case, what the fuck are the three that aren't Star, Steven and B&P?

Overly dramatic costume changes and posing really

>Except the frog one probably?

>Amphibia chronicles the adventures of Anne Boonchuy, a self-centered 13-year-old who is magically transported to the fictitious world of Amphibia, a rural marshland full of frog-people. With the help of an excitable young frog named Sprig, Anne will transform into a hero and discover the first true friendship of her life.
Kinda. It's already been said it has the same exact concept as another recent Disney greenlight, The Owl House, and both are pretty much Star Vs/Bee and Puppycat

“Ripping off” is a meme buzzword used to dismiss things disliked or not well understood, stop using it you fucking soyboy.

Grab the Auto V is a ripoff. Star Vs. is a show that takes genre cues from magical girl shows, kind of like the whole fucking magical girl genre does over in Japan.

>Rumiko Takahashi

Sailor Moon did not invent magical girl anime

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_the_Good_Little_Witch

Sup Forums related magic girl from 1954.

No it's a ripoff whole sale, any elements it tries to add in to "subvert" the genre were already done by Sailor Moon decades ago and Madoka recently.

i bet you feel really clever for comparing a witch character to a magical girl huh you ignorant nigger

it's almost like the magical girl genre has recognizable tropes

Harpy Gee
youtube.com/watch?v=dSnlJW_ytMI

Amphibia
The Owl House

So do you not have any concept of what a genre is? Do you think all superhero comics are a ripoff of batman?

You suck at reading comprehension.

What about good comic bookin' ladies?

I guess every man who ever designed a superhero is just lazily ripping off superman, huh op?

Magical Girl stuff is cool though user.

but look at the films they've been making:

>The Adventures of Prince Achmed
>Animal Farm (co-director)
>Sita Sings the Blues
>Rocks in My Pockets
>Loving Vincent (co-director)
>The Secret of Kells (co-director)
>The Breadwinner

that isn't any better
that's actually fucking retarded

So Power Rangers?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

YES.
youtube.com/watch?v=-fSlPabCDFQ

I couldn't give less of a fuck about amphibia, i'm sick and tired of that wannabe adventure time artstyle, but Owl House and specially Harpy Gee got my attention.

Some are blatant ripoffs (Capt Marvel)
Some are clearly influenced but go off in an entirely different direction (Batman, Wondy, Goku, Saitama)
Some have nothing to do with Superman in any form (most of Marvel comics)

It's true and you can't disprove it

Magic is intimately linked with the character.
A traditional hero finds a magic sword or learns a magic spell.
A magical boy/girl DOES magic. Most of their shit is magic. They might dress it up somehow, but in the end almost everything they do is magic or enhanced by magic.

>Hey guys, Star Wars and Eragon are both genre films! Eragon totally didn't rip anything off from the former!

Yeah, but with short skirts

Fuck you OP. Also, when is the next season of Sailor Moon Crystal coming out?

If Alice In Wonderland and Wizard of Oz were written today would people call them magical girl stories?

And sailor moon was in turn inspired by even older magical girl shit, it's like power rangers/dragon ball for girls

They are far outside the realm of your typical mahou shoujo so no.

People would call them isekai

mecha is the superior genre

>Grab the Auto V
Dumb phoneposter

Is there any good Sup Forums /m/ though?

Only if Dorthy had a magical transformation when putting on the ruby slippers, Toto became a giant flying rainbow shitting wolf she could ride, The Scarecrow having a stand, The Tin Man becoming a giant mech, and the cowardly lion going super coward level 3

Megas XLR

They're in the isekai aka another world category.

Megas XLR is fucking shit tho

Most western women lack creativity and just go simple while emulating themes. I'm speaking mostly of more recent years.

The only cartoon you'd be able to get Sup Forums to watch with Sup Forums or /m/ without arguments.

It's the most Trigger-y non-Trigger IP.

Pitch me a Sup Forums mecha show anons.

>using Trigger as an adjective
>Trigger came before Gainax

No love for Sakura?

Dont compare the undiscipline work of Sugar or that Abomination that was Bee and Puppycat to a mangaka, please.

>Western women ruin everything
FTFY

>I'd argue that Magical Girl is already a genre on it's own and not just limited to Sailor Moon...
No shit, Magical Girl existed for nearly 25 years before Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon added the battle aspect and even then you can argue that goes all the way back to Mary Marvel in the 40s. But they're all drawing from Sailor Moon (or rather their idea of what Sailor Moon is because I doubt most have watched the series since it was on Toonami).

I would watch the shit out of that.

Sailor Moon manga is trash. It took men making the anime adaptation to turn it into something not shit. Takeuchi's a great businesswoman though.

But he triggered you didn't he?

I never get the chance to post this.
Would Scarecrow's stand be DARE TO BE STUPID?

>a woman designed this character

Are all Japanese women gay, or only most of them?

It feels natural for the creators of today to make stuff that they were inspired by as kids/teens. I like it.

No, they like it when people are good looking and design them that way.

She has great story ideas, I just wish her serial stories didn’t have such trouble with endings

Dude, Imaishi's Saturday-morning attitude is way more relevant than the Manic-Depressive tone Anno had with his direction and you know it.

>Pany & Stocking/FLCL don't matter now
yeah ok

He was raised by his dad though. The space rocks don't know shit about raising children.

>I guess every man who ever designed a superhero is just lazily ripping off Hercules
ftfy

>this thread

Sup Forums truly has become the new Sup Forums.

Giant alien robots fight a civil war with Earth as their new battleground.

Nigger, who the fuck do you think directed PSG?

Megas doesn't hold up at all and I'm sure neither Sup Forums or /m/ would like it

His problem is icky yucky girls user. They're trying to join his secret club

>It feels natural for the man and womanchildren of today to rip off media that they grew up with instead of creating their own ideas. I like it.

Fixed.

>Megas doesn't hold up
You shut your dirty whore mouth

Walt had the right idea keeping women as inkers instead of animators or story people.

The name of the game in modern animation is stealing shit from talented people

I don't get it. They are cleaning floors?

>good comic books
>pic related

Was Patrick really the first dimwit to clean the floors like that?

>"magical girl" is a genre that long predates Sailor Moon, checkmate
That's true, but there's no denying it's Sailor Moon they're all obnoxiously and incessantly referring to. The only thing I can pick out that's a definite reference to something else is Star explicitly having Sakura's wand.

I'm surprised to see this being defended so fervently in this thread. Do all male-directed shows feature repeated references to Dragonball as a core aspect? No not really, there's OKKO (among the many things it references?) Isn't that pretty much it?

Something doesn't sit well with me just how these creators will be influenced by something, which is perfectly fine, but then be like "I'm SO influenced by this and little else that I have no option but to just give up on any notion of originality or creativity and instead have my "new" show wear this reference on its sleeve". That they do this so willingly is what's bad about this. "Everything is a remix, user", I hear you say, but in the past, that remix would have been subtle and not distractingly cynical. The influence revealed in the shows of today is on the same level of a Family Guy joke merely referring to a thing and then having no punchline.

When kids watched Star Wars with its WWII movie inspired dogfights, they didn't see that and intuit "oh, they're doing a thing", they just enjoyed the space battles. I'm pretty sure that when they see today's cartoons doing that, regardless of if they know what's being referenced, they can tell that it's doing a thing.

underage plz go

In the original thread no one could bring up previous examples despite claiming it wasn't original. So I'd say yeah. But the joke isn't just that he's sweeping wrong, unlike what the retarded tumblr shows are copying.

Eh Harpy isn't a magical girl. Pumpkin ate her magic so she's just a magic-less elf.

So what is the joke then?

Megas XLR is one of /m/s 4cc team players. They like the show.

>Complaining about Magical Girl anime/manga/comics/cartoons
>Forgetting how fucking dark almost all of them universally tend to be
Need I remind you all?

>He doesn't know every pre-movie SpongeBob joke by heart
underageb&

None of the shows in the OP would have the balls to show actually scary imagery. I think the closest is the lizard guy melting in Star vs but wasn't anything you couldn't see in say Billy and Mandy a decade ago

My mom never allowed me to watch Spongebob

SU had some good body horror back when the show had some semblance of guts.

>leaving out MLP FIM

I understand it's not allowed here, but let's be real it was the biggest success story of the 2010s in animation, you're delusional if you don't see that. It literally brought a franchise that was in the gutter and not cared about by any demographic including the ones who the toys were aimed at into being the biggest cartoon fandom of the last modern age.

Off the top of my head, young adventure stories are typically centered around a hero having a need and getting into some shit in order to fulfill that need. Magical Girl stories are about otherwise ordinary girls getting unexpectedly thrown into a magical world, and whatever goal they might have is addressed only after a lot of fun self-insert magical shit. It's more oriented on the character as opposed to what needs to be done.

Name another Mangaka that's 4 for 4 on long running popular anime adaptations.

>None of the shows in the OP would have the balls to show actually scary imagery.
Which is why they'll always fall short of actual Magical Girl shows and their respective comics/manga. Seriously, do you honestly think shitshows like SU and StarVS could EVER pull off villains and abominations like Metallia, Pierrot, or the vast majority of shit that act as the prime foes for magical girls?