What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Sa2jYn3LmlE
youtube.com/watch?v=F34diroLoPs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Snyder and no proper planning. You can make a DC universe work pretty easily. I would have just made solo films for the big 5 and the threat of the JL movie being Atlantis and Aquaman Who is under the control of Starro

Warner hired Zack "Sucker Punch" Snyder to direct their most important DC films

They should've stuck with Christian Bale and just used the thing they used for Rachael in the new Blade Runner to make occasional Heath Ledger Joker cameos.
Also Lex Luthor should've been Kevin Spacey (inb4 he raped underage boys, that's not relevant).
Henry Cavill Superman was OK. Tom Welling would be better though.

WB and DC

The two biggest cancers in the world

Tried to spin a stand alone franchise into a universe, trying to play catch up with Marvel, immediately panicked and chopped up their movies.

Nah WB and Marvel Comics are the two biggest cancers

In a perfect world we would have Disney and DC making films that go beyond mediocre

It just kind of snowballed given the foundation it was built upon
Bale's Batman sucked ass. The movies were entertaining though

>What went wrong?
Casting, direction, writing.

Is this the Mouseketeer thread?

It became the faggot thread the moment you arrived.

Nah, you want the faggot thread next door. They have company wars on tap

There she is

Snyder/
Execs that don't know shit about shit when it comes to DC

Bale was fine, much better than any other recent Batman actor. The worst thing you can say about him is he did that growl sounding voice while dressed as Batman to try to intimidate criminals and conceal his identity. And it wasn't that bad, it's pretty much how I'd imagine Batman would communicate with criminals.

>beyond mediocre
not possible with a character like superman

WB panicking and trying to get their avengers on as quick as possible rather than planning it out in detail

DC have Zack the DCU and not Wildstorm.

Just bad planning. I mean, they reveal that Robin is dead and try to make a huge deal out of it, even saying that Harley Quinn was an accomplice. But...we weren't attached to Robin. Why should we care? Why are we stuck with this old and tired Batman? Was there even going to be longevity with him?

A lot of these basic mistakes come from execs or writers assuming that the characters have enough cachet in popular culture that nostalgia for older incarnations of those characters will do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to characterization and building audiences' emotional attachment to the new versions

Which was a huge mistake when you consider Batman and Robin was the last time Robin was seen in the mainstream, and everyone groaned at Dark Knight Rises Robin moment.

Nice b8. They did wonders with absolute losers like Iron Man so a Disney Superman movie would be great. Shit they did it with Hercules

I think the fundamental problem is that they want to be a deconstruction rather than an homage. They have some of the most iconic and beloved characters in the industry, but have decided that their flagship should be a "what if" that turns them darker and edgier than their most beloved incarnations.

It's like if My Little Pony did a reboot based off edgy brony fanfiction, and then focused all of their advertising on it as though it would appeal to their usual audience.

>They have some of the most iconic and beloved characters in the industry,
Not anymore :^)

Poor planning, rushed execution, and the head of the spear was a guy that thought reinventing the wheel with a sick new square shape was a brilliant idea.

>A lot of these basic mistakes come from execs or writers assuming that the characters have enough cachet in popular culture that nostalgia for older incarnations of those characters will do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to characterization and building audiences' emotional attachment to the new versions
That would have worked IF the characters were similar enough to the public perception to work. But since Snyder wanted to deconstruct everyone, that collapses on itself.

I could also say he looked like a little kid playing dressup, his costume looked cheap and ugly, his fighting style progressively devolved into throwing elbows at random, in his 2 years actually being Batman, he quit 3 times and only stopped like 4 villains, in his last movie he was entirely useless, he had zero detective skills, his vehicles looked like shit, his growl got more and more retarded with each movie, "WUURRSH THHUURR TRRRIIGGUUURRR!!?" And his mouth is always hanging open like he's confused.

The short answer is
One part of the long answer that baffles me the most the absurd lack of focus, especially the reshoots. I realize that Executive Meddling gets bitched about primarily when it goes wrong and ignored when it works, but I can't ever view "Do it all again but different lmao" as a good idea.

It tried to have it both ways. They wanted to skip all the effort and time of building up their characters because everyone knows them already, but then gave the keys to the kingdom to a guy that wanted to reinvent them all and establish new rules.
So you end up just skipping all that build up and new rele establishing to get to ends that are unfounded and with characters that no one has a reason to be attached to.
People like Superman and Batman and Flash, but they don't know who these versions are and assuming they're the same is a big mistake that just leads to disappointment.

Snyder, WB executives being retarded, no proper planning, and so on.

A DC cinematic universe should be easy as fuck to make, practically write itself, and print gold. You really do have to try to fuck that up. All you'd need to do is follow Marvel's BASIC formula of giving the biggest heroes their own solo movies that also (for the most part) cover different genres, building up to the big team-up movie in Justice League. You could deviate from the Marvel formula in some ways, like cutting down on all the humor a bit, and not killing off every fucking bad guy at the end of every movie, which would be for the best since DC in general has better villains than Marvel.

There. That's all they really needed to do.

I actually don't think there's anything wrong with the IDEA of giving us a more experienced Batman. The problem is that they made him way too old and then made BvS a rough adaptation of TDKR when it didn't really call for it.

>but I can't ever view "Do it all again but different lmao" as a good idea.
That's what happens when you run off in one direction half cocked with no idea where you're going to end up.
The timing of Justice League was a huge mistake. They should've waited three to six months to let the dust from BvS settle so they had an idea of what they needed to fix. Instead they already started working on it a week or two after before all the word of mouth was even in on BvS so by the time they realized the needed to change directions it was when they were halfway down the track towards its release already.
They were so damn sure that BvS and thus the rest of the DCEU was going to be an unmitigated success that they became the hare to their competition's tortoise.

>People like Superman and Batman and Flash, but they don't know who these versions are and assuming they're the same is a big mistake that just leads to disappointment.
This is what sent this franchise down the wrong path in Man of Steel. The first trailer indicated that this would be an overall hopeful film that explored Superman discovering who he is and filling his traditional role. But the film is tonally all over the place, with scenes like the first flight scene exemplifying this, but others like Pa Kent's infamous "Maybe" line and the even more infamous scene of Superman snapping Zod's neck. It expects the audience to have knowledge and expectations for these characters going in, which is fine, but consequently when it goes out of its way to counteract those elements in the film and not explore the traditional traits beforehand, they should expect backlash. They want to eat their cake and have it too.

It doesn't help that none of what happened in MoS had any impact on Superman as a character, as his dilemma over killing Zod seems to have been completely forgotten when you look at scenes like pic related.

There was no dilemma, he did the right thing, he knew he did the right thing and the film presented it as being the right thing, period.

Regardless, there is zero evidence the Dictator is dead, he could have had his arm around his head taking the impact and he said matter of factly that he didn't kill anyone and Lois didn't challenge him on it.

DC movies were better when they didn't try to create a shared universe... yeah! Green Lantern was lame, but Nolan's Batman, Constantine and Watchmen were pretty good, they should try to make more "independent" movies, not part of a shared universe where Marvel Studios is king.

>All you'd need to do is follow Marvel's BASIC formula of giving the biggest heroes their own solo movies that also (for the most part) cover different genres, building up to the big team-up movie in Justice League
That's the problem. I don't want the same shit try being different. Why change to marvel now if Marvel been doing it so far? That why JL sucks compared to the other Zack films

WB figured they could phone it in and rely entirely on franchise recognition.

Well it probably would have worked had they stuck more to what people were expecting or hoping for rather than trying to be subversive and edgy.
youtu.be/Sa2jYn3LmlE
Or trying to copy Marvel without copying Marvel with Suicide Tards of the Galaxy.
But no, they made the boyscout of hope an emo jesus faggot.

But the film wasn't edgy at all. Nemesis & Ultimatum are edgy. Mos is just realistic and played straight & serious.
And Clark was never emo at any point in Mos, he stayed hidden for the greater good and appeared content with that beyond of course having questions about his origins.
There is nothing anti-hopeful boyscout-ish about being similar to Jesus.

Oh look a retard post it again.
Once again the context has been removed by your pathetic meme.
1.) Clark is being thrown into the building by his opponent and therefor that is not his fault on any level.
2.) If that is meant to be the Zod fight, Clark saves BILLIONS of lives by fighting and stopping him, billions takes priority over a individual. Period.
> "but billions are a statistic and therfor hold less emotional weight"
Then watch a psychological character study, this was meant to be monumental epic sci-fi. And showing us the Daily Planet caught in the destruction was more then enough to personalize the events.

youtube.com/watch?v=F34diroLoPs

Simply put, putting the cart before the horse.

Clearly they didn't insult their audience enough.

It wasn’t epic, just bland and shitty like the rest of the DCEU. The point of the meme is to highlight the differences between Snyder’s attempt at “””epic””” trash and a proper portrayal of Superman. If you wanted the crap in MoS then you certainly didn’t want a Superman film, but DCEU fags never were onboard with the general idea of super heroes as a whole, just like Snyder himself.

E V E R Y T H I N G

>monumental epic sci-fi.
Name another movie that you consider to be this.

>and a proper portrayal of Superman
But there have been tons of Superman comics with destruction. All Star was a else world it's validity or lack of it is on a equal level as Mos or Earth One or Kingdom Come.
>If you wanted the crap in MoS then you certainly didn’t want a Superman film
I would make pic related alterations to the film but otherwise fuck you.
>but DCEU fags never were onboard with the general idea of super heroes as a whole
Except I don't see anything about Superman in Mos as un-heroic or non-super hero-ish except maybe the smashing of the trucker's truck.
I see him 100% as a inspiring hero, not a anti hero, not edgy, a fucking superhero. Just a realistic one who the writers refused to cheat for and allow to do everything perfectly and wrap with a flawless happy ending.
A flawed person rising above their problems and the problems of the world around them and accomplishing great things is more inspiring, honest and super heroic then preposterous "find another way" cop outs.

There are deeper Sci-fi films of course. But comparing it to just action oriented Sci-fi films that take themselves seriously, I can think of very few that captured the scope and scale with the same level of authenticity.
It's not the destruction, Bayformers & Independence day of course went bigger it in regards to that, it's how it's handled in Mos, it felt real and not outlandish.

All of zack's films sucked

hiring a ayn rand fag for the director of most of it and leading off with edgy batman movies that made heath ledger kill himself.

Wonder Woman solo movie was okay.

For one, Snyder.
For two, extreme corporate meddling. All studios have some influence from higher up, but the entire DC movieverse was made on a spreadsheet.
For three, it was rushed. It was released to catch up to Marvel, not to create strong movies by their own merit.

Snyder

Not gonna lie m8, I almost came over the idea of Hercules-esque supes

>Nice b8.
Keep dreaming. To think that you will continue to make excuses for 30 years.

They tried to put Snyder on a leash. BvS was just a taste of how good it could have been.

There are two kinds of people disappointed in the DCEU

A lot of things. Just by having Wonder Woman at the front of a trinity shot is proof enough DC fucked up real bad at some point.

This is the correct answer for anyone with taste

>>This is the correct answer for anyone with taste
Shit taste that is

Had they taken their time they could have started their uptick into their main Justice League era just as Marvel ticked down into their mid level Post Avengers films.

But no some idiots thought it was a great idea to run for the same level with less planning and build up. Idiots.

>Doesn't refute anything

Top kek

And now we've got a Horror guy running the show because his series have been a "success".

Unless he tags Del Toro to be his lead director and they go with ideas like Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Blue Devil, Etrigan, Doom Patrol etc. Then I don't see them being able to salvage things.

Spacey's Luthor was awful. Name ONE noteworthy thing he said or did throughout the movie. This isn't defending Eisenberg, because his bucktoothed, Screech Powers-wannabe bullshit was garbage too.
and at the risk of sounding like a contrarian, Gene Hackman's Luthor was the weakest thing about Donner's Superman

a JL movie in the same universe of TDK would be sick to watch. the current one has no weight,the characters don't even look in danger

All fine sentiments. Best Luthor in motion still comes from the Animated Series.

Rush

>Snyder
I don't like him much, but I admit that if they let him more control and above all time, we could have get a decent DCCU. May be not one that would please everyone (and I include myself there), but at least would be something solid.

DCEU > Marvel kiddie films. Stay mad gaylords

I am surprised only spacey fell under the me too movement. I was expecting a lot more names, but the feminazis took over, and now that Terry Crews is trying to expose more faggots, eveyone is just "sorry, youre not a woman".

they made money, more money than JL

JL made what it made because of what came before it. They already knew what they were getting then.

>That's the problem. I don't want the same shit try being different. Why change to marvel now if Marvel been doing it so far? That why JL sucks compared to the other Zack films
I'm glad to see you ignored the rest of my post.

Be kind user. He has difficulty reading multiple sentences in one go.

Because they already did that. Only Zod is confirmed dead

>Enchantress
>Ares

Gods don't die and Enchantress maybe alive due to June being alive

/thread
Snyder was never considered a good director, he was literally more infamous than Michael bay

Why the fuck you insist everyone is a female ladderbro?

I'm starting to think you're a fucking Roastie at this point with all this projection

Horror is the best word to describe the DCEU.

Snyder was never good

afair ladderbro or a similar poster, posted some pics where "he" claimed to be a white girl, however it was actually a beaner chick with olive skin and brown eyes

I'm not sure if was his/her pics or some random shit he picked up on google though

Really? You couldn't even pick one name out of a hat? You just say "others exist"? No shit they do. I'm challenging you to come up with one instead of giving a bunch of weasel words about scope and scale and authenticity.
And on the subject of Independence Day I'd argue the first one had a much more grounded and realistic reaction to First Contact than Man of Steel did.
Consider that Independence day we got a lot of reactions from people. Some were crazies that went up on skyscrapers with signs to welcome the aliens. A lot of people immediately started evacuating major cities. And some people said "fuck this I have work in the morning" and kept going to their job in the strip club.
As opposed to Man of Steel, where we're told that first contact will change everything, but then nobody actually panics. There's no response at all beyond a frankly pitiful and pacifistic military envoy.

>Name ONE noteworthy thing he said or did throughout the movie.
The Prometheus speech.

Ah, I miss Tom welling. He actually still has it I think he could pull it off.

Bale literally refused to be Batman for Batman v Superman despite an offer, because he knew Dark Knight Batman did not belong in the Justice League continuity.

Geoff Johns and Kevin Tsujihara

>Could've easily stopped the tanker by just standing in place.
>Hops the tanker, and let's it explode into the building, collapsing it without a second thought.
What an asshole.

He looks so smug about it, too.

>because he knew Dark Knight Batman did not belong in the Justice League continuity.
You are vastly overstating Bale's investment in the Batman mythos.
It's far more likely he as tired of playing a secondary character in badly written movies that were supposed to have him as the star.

>badly written movies
>literally the most well written superhero movies of all times
ok kid

No.

I'll give the Nolan films kudos for being stylish as fuck, for having a solid costume, a crazy as fuck Batmobile, some genuinely excellent villains (up to Rises) and an earnest and believable Bruce Wayne. Great, great score.

They are however, incredibly shitty from a writing standpoint. The dialogue when not ad-libbed is genuinely stupid. The plot progressions are chock full of contrivances where characters are doing pants-on-head retarded things to advance plot, and it's full of MacGuffins to tie things up.

I like the Nolan films. I genuinely love the first two. But they are all classic dumb Goyer writing.

>stops the tank
>it explodes in front of him by either force or Zod using it as a smoke screen
At least the cars are okay.

>alright, Snyder, make a cinematic universe!
>oy vey, we're losing money, hurry up with universing!
>we're very disappointed with you Snyder!
>Whedon, make an Avengers for us!

Also worth mentioning the fight choreography from the second film on looks like it was improvised by a bunch of drunks.

Shut up Zack