It's kind of a really nice day. He decides to walk around the block

It's kind of a really nice day. He decides to walk around the block.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

On the side of the road, he sees a women's tennis shoe filled with leaves, and it fills him with inexplicable sadness.

He walks down his side street...

Alongside the bridge, past the farmer's market...

And back up the main thoroughfare.

On the side of the road, he sees a women's tennis shoe filled with leaves, and it fills him with inexplicable sadness.

He walks down his side street...

Alongside the bridge, past the farmer's market...

And back up the main thoroughfare.

It's kind of a really nice day. He decides to take a walk around the bl

That hand is dropping everything.

Wasn't he supposed to call somebody?

What was her name?

What in the hell is wrong with this mug?

Does he really need this much food?

There's a doctor on his answering machine. Has he been sick?

The doctor carefully explains test results with him. He goes over numbers and information that Bill doesn't understand and reiterates things that Bill doesn't remember.

He's momentarily quiet, and then he tells Bill he doesn't have very long to live.

He walks down his side street, and sees striking colors in the faces of the people around him.

>try to make Hertzfeldt threads
>they always 404 after 1-2 posts

Godspeed, user

Details in these beautiful brick walls and weeds that he must have passed every day but never noticed.

The air smells different. Brighter, somehow.

Everything is strange and vivid...

And the sun is warming his face...

And the world is clumsy and beautiful and new...

he dies under the tree

And it's as though he's been sleepwalking for God knows how long and something has finally shaken him awake.

but the narrator said he was going to live forever! are you suggesting the narrator lied, user?

i mostly just wanted to post this whole segment, because it really stuck with me. and i did, so i'm good no matter who notices.

Good taste, user

Bumping to keep this thread alive

This reminds me of an attempt I made to convey the same feeling in my own writing.
"Utterly unanxious, interested again".

Nobody cares about art though. I work at Target. Life is not a cool place.
fucc mommy

>He says 'It's too bad people don't say what they feel until it's already too late.' And then he says nothing.

>someone still remembers this absolute kino
You've made me a very happy user.

The next thing you know,
you're looking back
instead of forward,
and now, at the climax
of all those years of worry,
sleepless nights,
and denials,
Bill finally finds himself
staring his death in the face
surrounded by people
he no longer recognizes
and feels
no closer attachment to
than the thousands of relatives
who'd come before.
And as the sun continues to set,
he finally comes to realize
the dumb irony
in how he'd been waiting
for this moment his entire life,
this stupid, awkward
moment of death
that had invaded
and distracted so many days
with stress
and wasted time.
If only he could travel back
and impart some wisdom
to his younger self;
if only he could at least tell
the young people in this room.
He lifts an arm to speak
but inexplicably says,
"It smells like dust
and moonlight."

it’s such a beautiful thread

I knew this reminded me of something, but I couldn't think of what until just now.

Thank you op, I've been suffering from anxiety and depression lately and this thread had bought a tear to my eye because I've never noticed the outside world

the full film is called "it's such a beautiful day" and i really recommend it. it's sad and funny and beautiful.

HIS BATHMATS... ARE GORGEOUS

So has anyone watched World of Tomorrow 2? I'm torn because I prefer not to pay for streaming-only.

There's a 2? Where?

Once again thank you. I guess you were the one that was sent to answer my prayers

when will he release it on blu-ray already so i can buy it

As somebody who is battling my own mental problems, this film resonated with me in a way that I didn't know a film could resonate with me. It made me scared and it made me sad and it made me happy and it inspired me.

I can't believe this was made?
Like, how is this so good? Why does this exist?

Don Hertzfeldt, dawg

Well, obviously. World of Tomorrow had both me and my friend in tears. He really is a blessing.

>"It smells like dust
>and moonlight."
I want that shit on my tombstone, I love this line.

Finally a beautiful day thread, is there a link to this movie on the internet?
Seems like everyone's a moralfag though, so it's okay if you don't wanna share it, it's been months since I last heard of it anyway

Shit, thanks for the reminder. Just bought it.
Also if you buy instead of rent you can actually download it.

Alright I watched it and it's fucking amazing. I liked it way more than the first actually, this one felt like it had more of a narrative while the first was more of a collection of thoughts.

Kimcartoons my dude
You can find it there

Did World of Tomorrow 2 miss this year's Oscars cutoff, or was the academy being the incompetent boobs they are?

I really like the final sequence, the immortality fantasy one. It's really clever in addressing that the audience would have trouble buying Bill's acceptance of his death under the tree. It examines not the mundane alternative of "what if Bill didn't have a brain disease and live a normal life?" but the unrestrained fantasy alternative of "what if Bill didn't have to die at all, ever?" It then applies logic to this scenario to show that, after trillions of years, there's no alternative but for the immortal Bill to be in total darkness and be empty of all knowledge. And how is that different from dying?

It was always going to end this way, so Bill isn't suffering a particularly sad fate under his tree.

Nope, Don even had screenings to make sure it qualified for nominations and it was just ignored
>Don will never win an Oscar
I know I shouldn't be upset since it's just the Oscars but I am

Don's niece is fucking adorable.
>She sent me a good luck drawing before the Oscars in 2016. For school she had to write a sentence about herself and she wrote, “I am beautiful and famous.”

I love that, since Emily in World of Tomorrow is entirely unscripted, she talks about all that weird shit completely on her own. She was actually talking about dinosaurs and triangle world and it's so adorable.

Bump for depressing user

>I saw this movie for the first time just as my grandmother was in the final days of her life.
>She had been suffering from frequent memory loss as part of her condition
>Would often go walking outside at odd hours and forget where she was often ending up badly injured.
>She would explain it as being because "it was a nice day out"
>See the scene where Bill imagines waking up in a hospital room as an old man and doesn't recognize anybody
>She forgot the names and faces of most of us near the end
>Forgiving his father but not knowing why
At some point in her last day she started saying she forgave my grandfather who had been dead for years for something he had done
>The scene where he continues driving into the night in blatant refusal to die.
>In her final moments she became very very talkative asking everyone around her what they wanted out of life, about their day, what they planned to do later, she started making plans of her own only to die mid sentence.
This movie hit home in the strangest most specific of ways, oddly I found this comforting rather than disturbing for reasons I can't articulate.

This was an absolute amazing experience op, thank you

>she started making plans of her own only to die mid sentence.
Would've made a great scene in the actual movie.

>Bill dropped his keys on the counter and stood there staring at them, suddenly thinking about all the times he’d thrown his keys there before and how many days of his life were wasted repeating the same tasks and rituals in his apartment over and over again. But then he wondered if, realistically, this was his life, and the unusual part was his time spent doing other things.

this part gave me chills even just to read it

As beautifully tragic the movie is I feel like it still deserves mentioning how funny it can be too. Don is really good at comedy. I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I did at GIGANTIC BACTERIA-RIDDEN CROTCHES BURIED IN ALL THE GOD DAMN PRODUCE

"She died one Sunday morning after contracting Yellow Fever... and catching on fire."

You can buy it on Amazon for about ten bucks, my man. It's worth it.

"He once strangled a rock in a fit of religious excitement."

Would definitely have fit in with Bill's family

So Sup Forums, which of his films is your favorite?

It's hard to not pick It's Such a Beautiful Day, as a feature film it's a lot bigger and impressive.
Meaning of Life will always have a special place in my heart tho, the animation in that one is crazy and it has the best use of music of his works imo. The ending is absolutely beautiful.

What the HELL is wrong with this mug?

It's gotta be It's Such a Beautiful Day. It combines such a fantastic range of emotions and delivers a great message about the value of life. I know that's the normie answer, but it's the truth.

It's on netflix or just use qbittorrent searcher and you'll eventually find it

Don't think it's on Netflix anymore.

What's fascinating to me is seeing where so many of his ideas actually come from. Like WoT comes from his book, "The End of The World," ISBD comes from a small webcomic he did on his website in the early 2000's. Hell, he even remixed elements of WoT in his Simpsons sketch.

youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y

That Simpsons sketch was actually made while WoT was still in production

He wants to stop people in the street and say "Isn't this amazing? Isn't everything amazing?"

I just watched The Meaning of Life and I have no idea what that was

I agree that It's Such a Beautiful Day has more substance and depth than his other works, but World of Tomorrow 1+2 is just as tragically hilarious, although not quite as bleak. I know he has plans to continue that series so hopefully we'll get an episode that wraps it all together nicely like ISABD, until then it's almost unfair to compare it to anything else.

>Our grandfather's digital consciousness currently resides in this cube, where I upload the latest films and books for him to enjoy every week.
>We are also able to receive correspondence from him. Over one thousand letters were received during his first hour in storage, as this was approximately four years' time inside the cube. I will read one of his letters to you now.
>OH. OH GOD. OH GOD. OH GOD. OH MY GOD. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. OH, OH OH, OH GOD.

Just watched World of Tomorrow Episode Two myself. It doesn't hit quite as hard as the first one emotionally, but the story is a great brain teaser. It does feel like there needs to be a part three, so he can re-edit them into a full feature.

Strange, I loved the second episode much more than the first actually. While I think the first episode was more of a general look at humanity in the distant future, episode 2 felt a lot more personal and intimate, pretty much focusing only on Emily-6 as she struggles to find an identity. Maybe I should rewatch the first one, but my bluray player is broken so I can't at the moment.
I personally think each of the episodes felt good as their own thing so I don't necessarily feel a need for more, but hey I'll take any Don Hertzfeldt I can get.

>Don Hertzfelt thread not dead yet
I love you guys.

i love you too pal