Alright people, There's a point of Avatar: The Last Airbender I want to talk about

Alright people, There's a point of Avatar: The Last Airbender I want to talk about.

Why isn't Ursa a fuckin strong firebender, even more powerful than Ozai, considering she's the granddaughter of the Avatar Roku?
Legend of Korra - since it's canon apparently - showed that blood is important, and even after 2 generations, bending is strong in an Avatar's family ( Aang's son and grandchildren are airbenders ). We know it's
hereditary, it's in the genes. It doesn't disappear without explanations, and at the time of the war, there's no permanent Amon-like chiblocking bullshit.

If it was coherent, Ursa should have been a kick-ass firebender, which also means that Azula is a fireprodigy because of her mom, not because of Ozai.

Does anybody have an explanation of why it isn't the case? Or just what do you think about it? Am I dumb - which is possible - or is it a real gap in the plot?

>Legend of Korra - since it's canon apparently
You do know Mike and Bryan just made most of this up as they went along, disregarding how it would contradict A:TLA.

Let's just talk about the ungodly amounts of fucking Ursa and Zuko did.

Sadly...

Why are you saying that like it was a bad thing?

Bending is something genetic, but it's also something you need to train. The best genetics in the world won't make you good at something if you never attempt to get good at it. Did Ursa TRY to be strong?

That, we don't know.

Its very Likely she just wasnt a bender.
Bumi Is the son of the Avatar and one of the best water benders in history but he wasnt born a bender.

>hey grandma katara, could you fill us on that really important storyline?
>read the comics lol
I would have been ok with the blatant shilling if the comics at least offered a supbar, but ok resolution. I would have been.

She isnt a firebender.

Simple as that.

Why you are going full autist OP?

>Ursa
treats one of her kids like a monster, shows blatant favoritism, abandons them both, erases her memories, hooks up with an old flame, and gets a new kid only to go back to her original favorite kid because hes Firelord now
what a terrible character

Pretty sure she would get along with Mai

Ursa is a shitty person. But hey! You are supposed to be on her side because she is a mommy!

Sometime I just wish feminism didn't tried to pretend that women can't be shitty people.

Bending is largely genetic, but not COMPLETELY. Sokka and Katara came from the same mother and father, but Sokka isn't a bender.

I don't rememer who, but one of the show staff for Last Airbender said that bending is tied also to spirituality. This is why darn near every single Air Nomad was also a bender. Their way of life was very acentic and mystical.

Basically, Sokka isn't a bender because he doesn't believe in "magic". He is imaginative, but lacks open-mindedness or the particular type of spiritual....ness....needed for a bender. He repeatedly calls out Katara's Waterbending as "nonsense" at the beginning of the series, and THAT attitude, that refusal to believe in extraordinary things even when they're all around him, is exactly why he was not a bender.

This spirituality rule isn't universal, probably because the writers just want to make benders out of whoever they feel like. But the point is, more than just genetics is going on here. You need a certain "something special" to be a bender.
As far as genetics go, I'm pretty sure benders can come from non-bending parents, and vice-versa, but just more rarely. All people in all four nations carry the genetic code for bending, whether they can bend or not. If one or both of someone's parents are a bender, it raises the chance that their kids will be as well.

In the particular case of the royal Fire Nation familly, I'm fairly certain they were all benders because that family has a long-standing habit of marrying other Firebenders, even if Ursa wasn't part of that trend. Possibly there was also some incest going on to "preserve the bloodline", AzulaxZuko shipping memes aside. The genes for Firebending are very strong on Oazi's part of the family.

I would bet a small amount of money that their family also had a history of killing their own children, in the rare instances they didn't have bending abilities. Then staged them as "accidents".

>Am I dumb
Pretty much. Yeah, she could have been a powerful bender due to her genes, but she happened to be a non-bender, just like Bumi, one of Aang's sons. Ancestry doesn't guarantee shit, just increases your chances.

>When seeing Korra and the comics, you wish Ozai won.

>Bumi Is the son of the Avatar

>MFW I thought King Bumi was the son of a former Avatar?
>MFW you were actually referring to some jabroni who just so happens to be named "Bumi"

Aang's own son was born a non-bender

>one of the show staff for Last Airbender said that bending is tied also to spirituality. This is why darn near every single Air Nomad was also a bender
That or the airbenders are also really inbred, and only have children with other airbenders from the temples.

>That or the airbenders are also really inbred, and only have children with other airbenders from the temples.
Well duh.
They seperate their temples by sex and have yearly get togethers to fuck like rabbits for a few days.

>Sometime I just wish feminism didn't tried to pretend that women can't be shitty people.
Most feminism that makes it to the news gets filtered through tumbler. Tumbler is full of idiots.

Being the child of benders increases your odds of being a bender, but it doesn't guarantee that. It's kind of a crapshoot, like being strong in the Force in Star Wars.

>Why isn't Ursa a fuckin strong firebender, even more powerful than Ozai, considering she's the granddaughter of the Avatar Roku?

??????????

>Legend of Korra - since it's canon apparently - showed that blood is important, and even after 2 generations, bending is strong in an Avatar's family ( Aang's son and grandchildren are airbenders ).

?!?!?!?!?!????????

Bumi, Aang's FUCKING SON, is NOT A BENDER

Where do you absolute morons come up with this dumb shit and then act like the writers fucked up because their work doesn't gel with some idiotic garbage you pulled out of your ass? There is no reason to believe that. Not only is Bumi not a bender, but other incredibly powerful benders like Katara and Toph are related to no benders of note. You are absolutely dumb.

You have issues. really

remember in ATLA when they meet a set of twins where one is a bender and the other isnt?
shits kinda random

>Aang's eldest son
>some jabroni

Azula a shit so I can't blame Ursa from disowning her.

I do like how the comics made Ursa just as bad a parent as Ozai, they really did belong together.

>Legend of Korra - since it's canon apparently - showed that blood is important
Why don't you use an example from the old series that had 4 generations of uberstrong firebenders in the same family?

All of that is born out of the fact that she was forced into a marriage that she hated. Honestly, I kind of like that they went there.

>raise child poorly
>blame the child

Iroh didn't raise Azula. Ozai did.

And he is right, she is crazy. Maybe her mom was a complete bitch, but Azula made many of those horrible things entirely on her own. She indeed needed to go down.

Not an excuse for treating your offspring like they are shit nuggets you just can flush.

I've always found it pretty poignant that, despite being the one she mistreats the most, Zuko is the only member of the family who seems to genuinely care for Azula.

>Don't blame the parents blame the child for their raising!

Fuck off.

>Zuko is the only member of the family who seems to genuinely care for Azula.
And he would have killed her in Sozin's Comet if it hadn't been for Katara being there.

Zuko doesn't have the guts to kill.

He'd be a huge hypocrite if he didn't since he spent half the finale telling Aang to kill his dick dad.

Well he didn't kill Ozai either.

Because destiny and shit

That's just Zuko being a weasel and trying to get Aang to solve a problem for him.

Where did this Oedipus complex for Zuko come from?

CO STOP READING THE COMICS YOU JUST VALIDATE THEM

>dick dad hates him
>cunt sister bullies him
>mean grandpa doesn't give a shit about him
>nice uncle is always far away fighting the war
>cool cousin is following on uncle's footsteps
All that he has left is mommy, until she got banished of course.

>You are supposed to be on her side because she is a mommy

you are a hilarious faggot.

That's not what happened.

He's not wrong.