Top 20 best selling Superhero bookscan list for February 2018

Weird list
icv2.com/articles/news/view/39820/february-2018-npd-bookscan-top-20-superhero-manga-author-graphic-novels

Other urls found in this thread:

icv2.com/articles/news/view/39787/february-2018-npd-bookscan-top-20-adult-graphic-novels
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who keeps buying the Killer Joke?

Who on this planet doesn’t have that book already?

See that DChumps

That's called WINNING

*killing

>Weird
Like Social Justice.

Oh baby, I can't wait for Marvel to push T'challa like DC with Batman

Tchalla is the new Iron Man. Flavor of the Month, shoehorned everywhere, relaunched, and ultimately in a worse position than before the movie.

The difference is T'challa doesn't have the direct market like Batman

He's a trade seller

>bookstores
Literally nothing.

What's weird, I thought this usually happens when a new movie hits.

They already do that and you guys love it.

>Sup Forums bitches when Batman manages to punch Superman
>Sup Forums loves when Black Panther destroys a cosmic entity on his own without help

They already tried, with those two spin-offs that cannibalized his sales and got cancelled at issue #2.
It does look like that paid off a bit though, since "World of Wakanda" ended up on this list

TL: Top 20 for Normies.

>movie
>not a New World Order, a revolution, a new historical cycle
KILL ALL WHITES
KILL THEM ALL, SERIOUSLY

Keep in mind that Iron Man was cis white scum, so they had more room to butcher his character. With T'Challa, they cannot even do anything "problematic" so to top all his future garbage appearances of, they're gonna be boring and repetitive.

Except we don't and that was stupid.

And they say movies don't get people into comics.

>S-S-Stop lying, we didn't love Ewing's Ultimates like it was the best thing ever!
Ah, the revisionism...

bookstores include Barnes and nobles & Amazon

The problem is that the comics don't keep 'em.

>Marvel: Time for another relaunch!

It's hard for him to end up worse than the shit he is already at.

It varies. Watchmen had an increase in sales because of the movie. Probably Civil War as well. But I don't think that happened with Iron Man.

Marvel doesn't usually top the bookstore charts, even with movies. And especially not with this many books

Black Panther is a whole different animal. It's riding the cultural relevance train all the way to the bank

exactly, BP is pretty unusual. And he has more readily available and complete stories, compared to Ant-Man or Doctor Strange or even Thor

I don't know if Wonder Woman had the same impact, but Black Panther definitely has everything going for it. I expect him to take over Carol or even Peter as the new face of Marvel. They'd be stupid not to.

>This Mary Sue that sells less than Nightwing will take over Spider-Man. Marvel would be dumb if they didn't do that.
Good thing you are not in charge of Marvel.

Marvel really only cares about floppy sales, because they're idiots. Like this guy

Looking back at last year's monthly charts for Bookscan:

-The month Logan was out, two Old Man Logan books made it on the Top 20.
-The month Wonder Woman was out, two Wonder Woman Rebirth made it on the Top 20.
-The month Justice League was out, only Justice League: Their Greatest Triumphs made it on the Top 20.
-No Spider-Man, GOTG, or Thor books made it on the Top 20 during the month their movies were out.

Those aforementioned books also didn't stay on the Top 20 the next month.

However, Coates' Black Panther did make it on the Top 20... Long before the movie was out, and stayed there for at least three months. So it may not just be a matter of a movie tie-in but also past success.

Makes some sense that casual movie goers would go to bookstores for trades instead of floppies, but Logan, JL, and the rest indicate the boost is really tied to the social connotation of the film.
Curious as to how March is going to be. Infinity War comes out in April now, so that'd be a boost then.

I guess we can expect the next socially relevant cape film, either a woman or a minority lead, to have the same impact, whatever film that's gonna be

at best Infinity Gauntlet will get a boost, since Infinity Countdown won't be collected until fucking September, because, again, idiots.

Half of BP's success in bookstores basically comes down to luck.

I also took a look at some of the 2016 charts. Star Wars managed to chart on the Top 20 a few times leading up to Force Awakens, and managed to chart one month after the movie before no longer showing up.

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe made it into the Top 20 in the month of the movie (along with Way's Deadpool) but only Deadpool Kills managed to stay on the Top 20 all the way to July.

Batman Vs Superman: The Greatest Battles (which reprinted various Batman vs Superman fights) managed to make it on the chart in February, a month before BvS was out, and surprisingly actually stayed on the chart a month after the movie was out before disappearing from the Top 20 in May and then briefly coming back on the chart in June before disappearing again.

Killing Joke charted high in the Top 20 during summer but I can't tell if that's because of Suicide Squad or the animated Killing Joke film.

New 52 Harley managed to chart on the Top 20 in July and then stayed there all the way to December. A New 52 Suicide Squad TPB charted in August but disappeared after.

There were no Doctor Strange books that charted during the month his movie was out.

Killing Joke basically lives in the top 20, it's consistently the best-selling graphic novel on Amazon

So movie boosts have no staying power. Sad, but maybe BP will break the mold? (No it won't)
I wonder what's going to happen when cape film bubble bursts, if it bursts, and how much TV shows and Netflix stuff affect trades and floppies.

how does it do it

>Batman
>Joker
>pretty standard story
>high-quality hardcover
essentially it's babby's first comic

So it's a case of famous thing being famous for being famous and becomes more famous?

>Sad, but maybe BP will break the mold? (No it won't)

I would anticipate Coates' BP vol 1 to stay on the chart (because it's shown staying power over the last two years).

But here's the other thing I didn't notice, ICV2 started making other charts that separated categories (one is the general chart, one is manga, one is superhero). The chart OP posted only focused on the superhero stuff. So this is harder to judge because they only started doing it this year.

The chart comparable to the 2016 and 2017 charts I'm looking at would be this one:

icv2.com/articles/news/view/39787/february-2018-npd-bookscan-top-20-adult-graphic-novels

Which still has Black Panther charting on the Top 20, just with three volumes.

Now I wish ICV2 would go back and add the separate charts to prior years so I can get a better view of things.

basically

Shitlords still butthurt over the Batgirl cover I suppose?

Interesting, then maybe BP will really break the mold and become a mainstay?
Or just a case of culture obsession like Gangnam Style

I'm honestly surprised to see Fun Home sticking around so much