So I just watched Dr strange and why the fuck is the magic just kung fu with particle effects? Where's the fireballs...

So I just watched Dr strange and why the fuck is the magic just kung fu with particle effects? Where's the fireballs, energy blots, telekinesis, magic lightning etc. And that's the traditional stuff, there's no reason why you can't do more esoteric shit like animation, transmutation or teleportation like he did in thor 3. FFS, the most impressive thing he did in the movie was that fire whip thing.

Fucking SW can do more impressive stuff then that. And don't tell me that it's because he's a newbie, the ancient one and all the other teachers didn't do anything different, other then the landscape rearrangement which was pretty cool I have to admit, but they mostly still relied on kung fu, rather then say whipping up a giant firestorm to burn their foes to ash.

Harry potter has better magic then this. In fact, the end credits scene with the refilling mug is a more impressive act of magic then anything Strange did in the entire movie.

Money

lack of imagination.

I'd like to point out that we still haven't seen Dr Strange's full capabilities yet.

So what was the movie about then?

Strange learning not just the mystic arts, but about himself, and letting go of the past. Hell he didn't even complete his training as Sorcerer Supreme yet in that movie. He was a gifted amateur

he had a flying cloak and turned back time

>I'd like to point out that we still haven't seen Dr Strange's full capabilities yet.

doesn't take away from the fact of how boring everything looks

He did all kind of shit

teleported, projected his spirit, levitation, time travel

he didn't just "pew pew" the whole movie

this
Disney shits money, they ain't gotta explain shit

Those were magical articafacts, they don't count
As the OP pointed out, veterans like Mordo/Wong also didn't really do anything really magical. Just kung fu but with fancy particle effects

What are some good Dr Strange comics?

The teleportation was with the sling ring, levitation with the cloak and time travel with the time gem. Is Strange a soccer or just batman with magic gadgets?

>fireballs, energy blots
None of that is practical outside a session of D&D where your DM regulates turns and rolls. Constant terrain alteration and straightforward defense and offense minimizes an opening and maximizes your strikes hitting their mark or not being a waste of energy when they miss.
>there's no reason why you can't do more esoteric shit
Astral projection is more esoteric than pyrotechnics.
>teleportation like he did in thor 3.
Where he was more experienced and had time to detect and prepare?
>FFS, the most impressive thing he did in the movie was that fire whip thing.
The fire whip? Not his use of temporal manipulation to trap and outmaneuver opponents he would otherwise be outclassed by? A whip?
>whipping up a giant firestorm to burn their foes to ash.
What is with you and sparks?
>Harry potter has better magic then this.
Ah that explains it, a connoisseur of off the shelf "magic".

If an enemy can teleport and will simply stab you while you're waving around, theatrics aren't going to help.
>the ancient one and all the other teachers didn't do anything different
Except show Stephen she could eject and astral form through incalculable dimensional travels while distorting their perception of time.

Wanda's abilities are raw force and vague mental illusions. She's nowhere near TAO whose students' basics are Astral projection, dimension shifting, teleportation.

Not disagreeing, just saying they got to leave something for the sequel
Technically a magic person had to make those items, and it requires years of training/focus to even use them. But hey, Strange was doing some weird shit in Ragnarok we hadn't seen before. Who knows what he can do now?

>why the fuck is the magic just kung fu with particle effects
I assume you're skipping all the mirror dimension folding, the reality bending, time fucking, astral projecting, multiverse travelling and mind's eye opening that happens throughout the rest of it.

As for the kung fu fireworks and magic weapons, I found them way, WAY more visually interesting than fireballs and lightning, but that's just me.

>no see it's okay nothing interesting happened because it was described in interesting ways in the dialogue

Typical Mouseketeer.

This movie had a huge budget

Amusing how after all the talk of needed theatrics all that's mustered in response is a halfwitted greentext and ad hominem. Your meme missile is lacking.

You really think that ranged spells wouldn't be useful? Did you miss how Kaecilius's minions took someone down by throwing their glass blades at them?

>The fire whip? Not his use of temporal manipulation to trap and outmaneuver opponents he would otherwise be outclassed by? A whip?

Using the time gem dumbass. Mordo/Wong were magic masters and they also didn't do much more then melee attacks mixed with particle effects.

What kinds of spell does Dr Strange use in the comics anyway?

Bullshit

Flames of the Faltine, Bolts of Belthak, and Crimson bands of Cytorrak are the main spells he uses to fight people.

He has a lot of others made up by the writer on the spot but thee are the main ones.

>they don't count
Nice goalpost moving.

He has one that shoots yellow or orange crystals at things that works like a bullet weapon a lot too. And then the standard thing where he makes the Ronnie James Dio devil horns hand thing and that just shoots random magic energy at people.

What the point of being Sorcerer Supreme if all the cool shit you do is just using gadgets? At that point, you're just batman

Magic gadgets and kung fu, he is more Wonderwoman than Batman

>Where's the fireballs, energy blots, telekinesis, magic lightning etc. And that's the traditional stuff,
That shits OLD and boring as fuck. Thank satan you don't work in the movie industry or that movie would have tanked. Marvel magic has never really been that stuff. Just look at Strange and Scarlet witch and even Loki.

So you just want people punching each other? Wow, that's never been done before. And Loki/SW is actually more impressive. I would have loved Strange to use some TK or illusions, but he never did.

>You really think that ranged spells wouldn't be useful?
Not useless. Impractical. We're shown that both sides have means to deflect or dodge with spatial tears or distortions.

It may sound bizarre for those conditioned to think Black Mages do not engaging in melee and safely cast from the back, but when no such rules of engagement are in play using simple defenses and going for a direct strike is sensible.

We are even shown Kaecillius and his zealots can conjure an explosive spell to cause damage over a wide area of effect, I'm surprised you don't recall the spectacle it had a lot of the sound and fury you're looking for, but that was while his presence was not known. Once Strange is prepared he dispels it by simply switching the terrain over to the mirror dimension where such spells are not as effective.

>Using the time gem dumbass.
Calling for No Items after the fact.
Even so, astral projection, dimension shifting, matter and space manipulation in said dimensions, and interdimensional energy conduction is no small arsenal and certainly better than the parlor tricks Wanda and Loki resort to.
Stephen scattered someone's astral psyche into nothing just from channeling energy from a defibrillator killing their physical body instantly.

>Mordo/Wong were magic masters and they also didn't do much more then melee attacks mixed with particle effects.
Because they knew what worked when, Mordo tells Stephen his mistake above was taking them to the mirror dimension to dispel the gathered energy at the cost of the zealots being even more capable of altering spacetime effortlessly in that terrain, and when The Ancient One arrives she in fact uses that power against the zealots.

>
>illusions
"It's a hologram?!" is old hat, Ragnarok even makes light of how predictable it is to Thor, and throwing cars at Tony or flipping Natasha over is impressive in how laughable it is. Holding Crossbones' explosion would have been, had she not lost control shortly in.

none he sucks

Strange was still a newb in his film. by Thor 3 he was already on his way to becoming sorcerer supreme.

they were probably worried about dr strange not seeming cool enough to get lots of fans unless he engaged in fist fighting