I got this character as a figure recently and it got me thinking...

I got this character as a figure recently and it got me thinking. How the fuck do average joe criminals get the expertise and material needed to make such elaborate costumes to be super villains?

study and practice

years of it

There's tailors and engineers where that's their whole business model. They sell suits and weapons to criminals looking to make a name for themselves.

not difficult to imagine an edna mode type character who works for anyone willing to pay

making costumes isn't illegal

Pinterest

>making costumes isn't illegal
Well in Gotham it probably should be, like you should need a background check to buy garish fabrics at the hobby store and if you buy a cape you should go on a list.

>I got this character as a figure recently

Even if you aren't going to use it practically, having a costume in your house could be a potent deterrent against theft- it implies you have the resources and relationships to not be worth the effort.

Imagine breaking in to a guys apartment to see a full regalia in the corner. Do you continue knowing that this guy could be a super? Having it out in the open means it's likely a bluff/collector, but why risk it?

For the ones who just need the outfit and can make their own gear, there are costume shops specializing in that kind of thing. For people who need something more advanced, there are black market dealers who specializing in making gear for villains and anti-heroes.

They start a cosplay Patreon.

>shitposting on the comics and cartoons section of a Thai wood carving imageboard
>thinking you're above anyone
o i am laffing

When fashion is criminalized, only criminals will engage in fashion.

Honestly, how superheroes and villains get their costumes is just one of those things that it's better to gloss over. If you do justify it, that's how you get "Tony Stark made Spidey's suit" or "every villain's tech comes from the same source," which ends up making them less unique.

There was a story in that prose Batman anthology that implied that a character named Kittlemeir made the costumes and tools for a bunch of supervillains, as well as for Batman himself. Had a kind of "don't ask, don't tell" policy. He'd make your shit, but he didn't want to hear what you were using it for.

I don't know if he was ever incorporated into the comics. On the one hand, it explains where everybody gets their shit from. On the other, it raises the question of "why doesn't Batman just stop this guy for making shit for all of his enemies?" If it's just one guy making it all, you'd think it'd be easier to cut off the source enabling all these villains.

Easy there buddy. You don't want to be a hypocrite calling someone out purchasing a toy when you're using a meme in a attempt to insult them.

As far as I can remember, "average Joe" villains don't usually wear elaborate costumes. The ones who design their own costumes are usually implied to be smart and dedicated at least. Dumb mooks are usually in street or paramilitary clothes unless their bosses gave all their mooks a matching uniform.

it'd be funny if Halloween in Gotham was a huge taboo that nobody celebrated because of the local stigma against costumes

Not exactly the same, but there was that one story in Haunted Knight that showed that Gotham is so dangerous, nobody dare trick-or-treats.

Which I always thought was ridiculous. I know Gotham is supposed to be a dangerous, shitty city, but making it such a craphole that you're risk of having a crime committed against you just for being outside at night is so extremely high that a holiday is essentially canceled is just over the top. Like, there's a high-crime Western city, and then there's a city facing terrorist insurgencies where car bombs go off killing civilians every day. You really expect me to believe that Gotham is closer to Baghdad than Chicago?

Sometimes writers get carried away with that "Gotham is dangerous" shit. Instead of "Gotham statistically has a higher rate of crime than other cities," its "If you go outside after sunset, you'll get anally raped, guaranteed."

Sorry, I went on a tangent there. Has almost nothing to do with your post. But yeah, it would be funny if nobody celebrated Halloween because of costumes.

I'm pretty sure you just described something like 30 plots from various 2000AD stories.

they get a loan

We need a supervillain called like, Fashionaestro, who's entire MO is influencing fashion trends so batman has a harder time finding villains. Like suddenly the new fashion trend is purple suits, green hair, and pale makeup, or luchador masks, or wearing clothes made of plants

Dude, the Reaper wasn't "an average Joe".

>How the fuck do average joe criminals get the expertise and material needed to make such elaborate costumes
Rob a bunch of banks, pay a bunch of tailors and blacksmiths to make individual pieces, that don't need to fit together obviously or there'll be problems, so they don't figure out your idea immediately.

Tell one guy you want some mace hand sword scythe whatever for novelty, one guy you want grieves for a cosplay costume, one guy you need an elaborate chest piece for a sci-fi movie, etc. Maybe even just steal the cloak from a shop while you're at it, then just put it all together.

Starting is easy. The real issue is repairs and maintenance. Unless the battle damage ragged look works on you.

From a leatherworking standpoint the only thing complicated about the Reaper is all the intricate detailing. Any decent custom leather business could make you that suit in a couple months.

Writers and artists have this weird idea that Gotham is nothing but a very large downtown area. Say what you will about Batgirl, but at least it showed a large urban residential community that was neither rundown nor crime ridden. I'd say that if anything Gotham would have a massive problem with a Devil's Night-type deal.

Well, pic related's brother is the Crime Tailor.

Reminded me of this.

>thinking hes above buying action figures while posting on a board full of waifu degenerates and capeshit film shitposters

That question tells me you have no idea who the fuck that character is.
Reaper was the OG vigilante, and essentially was Batman on a far more violent level. He had money and connections just like Bruce.

I think something like this would work better if it was a story about a gang war between the Joker and another supervillain and it turns out the impetus was Joker fucking up some low-level nobody the other villain liked.

>That question tells me you have no idea who the fuck that character is.
Well i mean i havent read year two yet

Oh fuck, Gambi was in Black Lightning. What other characters have they incorporated? Does Gambi make suits for villains in BL?

>How the fuck do average joe criminals get the expertise and material needed to make such elaborate costumes to be super villains

Gimme some examples .

The human flea, flamingo

The Nu-Male meme would be so much funnier if they didn't just apply it to fucking wojaks

I'm so sick and tired of seeing that ugly mug no matter how many times it's edited. Lazy Sup Forums fuckers can't even be bothered to draw up OC anymore

The whole point of Reaper was that he was a dark mirror Batman. His civilian identity was rich as SHIT which is why he could afford state of the art body armor and weapons.

Post figure pic

There are two different Gambis. Paul's the one who makes costumes for the Rogues. His brother Peter was Black Lightning's mentor in the first Tony Isabella series.

So is he like the Diggle/Joe West on BL?

With Scarecrow and Joker running around, Halloween should be taboo in Gotham anyway.

Flamingo just tips over a costume store or a drag queen bar.

More like Alfred meets Lucius Fox.

Sup Forums poster spotted!

The Joker lay broken against the car, bleeding from more places than he could count. He knew, because he kept trying, but he got woozy after four. Dent tossed a lit cigar into his lap. Joker cracked a smile. He and Harley did shit like that for fun. It wasn't going to bother him.
"You know," he stopped to cough, "Batsy'll be here soon enough. This whole thing will be just another story they talk about in Arkham."
Dent flipped his coin. It came up good side, Joker could see it in his eyes.
"Clown, you ever think Bats wants us to do this? Save him the trouble?"
Joker let his head loll back, giving him a good view of the empty sky above, "Oh, I've thought about it. You know what else I've thought about? Why? Why do we even do this? Why is it that we went from partners in crime to sworn enemies in the blink of an eye? I know the punchline, but you've gotta let me in on the setup."
Dent pulled something out of his pocket. He strode closer to Joker, putting another shot into the clown's knee just to be sure. Dent knelt down and held a small ring in front of Joker.
"This was our wedding ring. Fuckin' acid hit our left side though. Doesn't fit the hand anymore."
Joker squinted, trying to force the blood that hung from his eyebrows to fall and clear his vision, "Not bad. Classy even. Been thinking of getting something like it for Harley. Have it inscribed with 'April Fool's' in big letters. It'll be a gas."
Dent stood back up, putting the ring back in his pocket, "You knocked over a jewelry store three weeks ago. Shot the old man in the back room. He's the man who made our ring. Our wife's ring. There are some things that just set us off clown, and screwing with our marriage, even a little, is at the top of the list."
Joker let out what he intended to be a laugh, but came out more as a wheezing sound, "You did all this, burned down buildings, shot me, got Firefly's legs broken, all this, just because you were waxing nostalgic about some guy I shot?"
"Yep"
*bang*

Do the Rogues rob from Peter to pay Paul?

Who is that villain?

>why doesn't Batman just stop this guy for making shit for all of his enemies?
They'd just find other, possibly less flashy, means. It'd be in Battty's best interest to have flash high profile baddies.

The Reaper. He was a vigilante in Gotham decades before Bruce became Batman, but whereas Batman was being seen as a symbol of justice, Reaper was seen as a serial killer who murdered pretty much anyone who conducted criminal activity. He's an older rich guy, reflecting Bruce, and Bruce falls in love with his daughter. Reaper tries to make Batman his successor, but Bruce teams up with Joe Chill to stop him.

hahahaha what?

Batman: Year 2. It's not very good.

post the figure

>hurr reading comics lel

Leave

Eh, I thought it was alright. My only real problem was the idea that Batman wasn't Gotham's first vigilante. It kills a lot of the impact Batman makes.

Pretty sure they were laughing at how stupid the idea of a Joe Chill/Batman team-up was, and that summary in general, rather than the idea of reading comics.

You goddamn mongoloid.

Salty

Why must you fight?

>Them it reveals that it was Joker plan all along
>He had used joker gas to change the SON of his enemy into a "joker-like being" and mind broke him to act like him.
>Joker shows up behind his enemy, steal his gun, and tell in his face how he killed his own son
*bang*
>Joker laughts

Fixed it for you ;)

I think the idea is that Gotham is relatively safe. The day-to-day crime and murder rate is probably a fraction of Bludhaven's.
It's just that Gotham has a persistent problem with costumed weirdos so when someone shows up with their underwear on the outside you make yourself scarce.
Celebrating Halloween in Gotham would be like holding "dress like a suicide bomber" day at the airport--a mix of too soon and inviting trouble.

Read Invincible
All those logistics questions are answered in Invincible

I like to think Gotham has numerous villain/henchmen support businesses.

I'm pretty sure everyone who posts this meme is a newfag.

There was a similar guy like that in an Amazing Spider-Man story. Guy made and repaired costumes for both villains and heroes but didn’t want either side to know.

>I got this character as a figure recently and it got me thinking

They made a toy of that? Post pics.

Because to post without shit is sin.

Hub City makes Gotham look like a utopia.

dedication, google and internet/library.

Why did Bruce just reveal his identity like that?

>B-Batman. I saw his face! It.. He was... Matches Malone!

He looks like he's from a kinky S&M cult.

Liberals

what clued you in?

the cape? faggy boots? or bat-ears?

How the hell is hub city and bludhaven worse then gotham?

Zero self awareness.

Go read Oneil's Question run. Pretty much everyone in that city is a complete piece of shit.
I think the winner was the hobo toting around a dead baby pretending to be a parent for money.

Gotham pretty much is as safe as Afghanistan was during the US invasion.

As in you can hear the murderers giggling to themselves outside at night every night and paramilitary units stand ready to restart their abduction-business the moment Batman's out of town.

>I think the winner was the hobo toting around a dead baby pretending to be a parent for money.
What

once again, it isn't ANYONE on this site who does these meme edits anymore

Sup Forums or Sup Forums as a whole hasn't had a new original drawn meme in like almost 8 years

Yeah, then when people wouldn't give him money, the hobo threw the dead baby into a trash can.

There's also the super racist cop who beat the shit out of minorities and was proud of it, then sacrificed himself to save Vic because Vic's white. So Vic fucking despised the guy, but the city hailed the cop as a selfless hero. Vic was so confused with his emotions that he questioned the concepts of good and evil.

Cool story bro.

For decades comics have shown that every major city has a kindly old tailor with glasses & wears an eyeshade visor who runs a secret workshop in the back of his store catering to heros & villains, sometimes both.

> How the fuck do average joe criminals get the expertise and material needed to make such elaborate costumes to be super villains?
They go to Big Ronnie's Custom Battle Spandex.

>Yeah, then when people wouldn't give him money, the hobo threw the dead baby into a trash can.
Did he happen to look like this?

That was actually a nice little story

>Honestly, how superheroes and villains get their costumes is just one of those things that it's better to gloss over.
Not always

He has another mask under it

>how you get "Tony Stark made Spidey's suit"
There's not a thing wrong with that explanation for that particular suit with magic expressive eyes. People are just tired of Ahrn Maun's massive metal penis blocking out the sun.

>why doesn't Batman just stop this guy for making shit for all of his enemies?
It's not illegal to make weird costumes.