What is the Evangelion of cartoons?

What is the Evangelion of cartoons?

Back to Sup Forums with you

Neon Genesis Evangelion
>Started out about teenagers fighting with robots against "angels" in a post-apocalyptic setting but ultimately fails to prevent the real apocalypse and had a terrible cliffhanger ending. Ever since it's release, the series has since retained a zealous fan base.
Steven Universe.

Beast wars.

Rebuild is Beast Machine

Too early to tell yet.

>cliffhanger ending

I'd hardly call that a cliffhanger. They straight up said what would happen as it was coming to an end.

TTG

?

They told all the mess of the End movie as they were broadcasting the Congratulation episodes?

Yeah but what happened to Shiji and Asuka? You can't have character be a big part of the series and then not tell what happened to the main characters after Shinji chokes out Asuka.
It's a cliffhanger, all it needed was 5 more minutes of them banging wanting to repopulate the planet or something, but we ain't got shit!

>You can't have character be a big part of the series and then not tell what happened
They stopped the end of the world from happening by resolving their internal meltdowns as they were absorbed and then they got back in their body to earth and, as they were watching a giant Rey crumbling appart, Shinji tried to strangle Azuka as it reminded him of the time he fapped to her catatonic body, but then he stopped and let her breath and found the whole ordeal gross?

Satisfied? if not, watch Rebuild. I haven't watched it myself, so I can't even tell if it's a sequel or a reboot or if that distinction even matter.

simpsons

Read the whole sentence before you reply.

>I can't even tell if it's a sequel or a reboot or if that distinction even matter.
As you might have expected from Evangelion, it's a weird mix of both. It starts as a reboot with some background details that imply End of Evangelion happened, but everyone acts like it's back at the start of the TV series. Events are condensed a bit, but mostly track the course of the beginning and middle of the series. However, it's Gendo's scenario this time around, not Yui's, so the Zeruel fight ends differently, and things go seriously off the rails after that. Rebuild 3 is basically a whole new story only tangentially related to previously-known events.

At the end of the movie as the crazy train is coming to a halt, Rei/Lillith Tells Shinji that everyone can return to their pre-tanged form so long as they can will it. Shinji and Asuka are the first to do so.

What happens as far as their relationship goes is left up to the imagination. And the repopulation isn't necessary since people will come back on their own eventually just as they did.

Honestly the most confusing part about that scene for me is how she materialized bandages for her arm/eye out of the Tang.

user there was clearly speaking about the end of the series, when the movie wasn't even a thing.

>Rebuild 3 is basically a whole new story only tangentially related to previously-known events.
>the reboot itself got to have a reboot
where they afraid things weren't confusing enough yet?

Well then I can't really fault him for that. I can't imagine how fucking befuddled people mustve felt watching that shit before the movie was a thing.

>Honestly the most confusing part about that scene for me is how she materialized bandages for her arm/eye out of the Tang.
You can question as well the rematerialisation of clothes, then.

Honestly, I don't think the movie is much more satisfying.

All in all I prefered the positive conclusion of the series, even if it gave a big fuck you to all the plot threads.

Indications are that the last one will be a new benchmark of craziness for Gainax, given the setup.

Both Shinji and Asuka wore what appeared to be the same clothes they were tanged in, so that would just involve moving the clothes around. But Yui or Rei probably did the bandages. Either would plausibly be capable of shenanigans like that.

I never understood Evangelion, not even after reading this thread.

I just liked the robot battles

Moral Orel

Sure, but at least she was wearing the plugsuit before she got ripped to shreds. Also her arm was aparently fixed despite being torn clean in half down the middle but she didn't fix her missing eye?

At the very least the movie showed you the events leading up to/shortly after Shinjis vision quest rather than just dropping you right into it with little explanation.

The first 30 minutes of Rebuild 3 are the most confusing and infuriating first 30 minutes of any anime movie I've seen.

Aint that the truth

>Indications are that the last one will be a new benchmark of craziness for Gainax, given the setup.
Rebuild 4 is the last, isn't it? I am watching for all of rebuild to come out to start watching them.

Mystery Inc?

I'm a fan of the idea that the films represent different interpretations of the franchise:
1: Is Evangelion as it is. A straight up HD remake
2: Is Evangelion as the fans want it to be. Awesom giant robot fights. Love triangles. Fan service. Shinji getting in the fucking robot and saving the day by his force of will.
3: Is Evangelion as Anno wants it to be. Inpenetrable psychological technobabble. Shinji and Kaworu being in love and ending badly.
4: Is anyone's guess yet, but it's going to be called 3+1, signifying that Anno is in charge of the franchise and it goes the way he wants, not the fans.

Fantastic planet

Huge hype with full of plot thread that led to a disappointing ending?

Gravity Fall.

>but it's going to be called 3+1
Well off fucking course.

>I never understood Evangelion, not even after reading this thread.
Here's the plot that isn't explicitly covered very well:
Billions of years ago, aliens sent artificial organisms out into the universe to seed planets with life. For some reason, two landed on Earth, so one (Adam) was deactivated, while the other (Lilith) became the progenitor of what we know as earthly life.

Fast forward to the 20th century. A secret society that runs the world (Seele) finds an instruction manual and other documentation that the aliens sent with their seeds of life. A bit later, they find the deactivated Adam and the on-standby Lilith, the investigation of which revolutionizes the understanding of fundamental physics and metaphysics, including such things as free energy and a physics-based understanding of the soul. In an attempt to get Adam into standby mode to investigate his power source, Adam turns on fully and begins to sterilize Lilith's life while spawning its own kind of life (angels). An emergency action by the research team causes Adam to self-destruct, taking Antarctica and several billion humans with it. Yui and Gendo were associated with each other and the research effort that went wrong at this time, with an implication that they saw it coming, but Seele went ahead anyway. Since they saved the antarctic research and are basically the most senior Seele-aligned researchers still alive, they get put in charge of the effort to deal with the threat of the angels, who will mature in 14 years. They also get tasked with implementing a plan to merge all of humanity into a super-organism hive mind controlled by Seele (selfish to be sure, but they appear to have though it was an improvement for everyone).

(Continued)
Yui doesn't want that, but she’s not in a position to challenge Seele, and they’re getting suspicious enough to consider assassinating her. So she arranges to have her soul sucked into the half-constructed Evangelion 01 (which was grown from Lilith) in a testing “accident”. She didn’t tell Gendo this, so he tries to get her back. The soul extractor nabs Lilith’s soul instead, which landed in a de-tanged young clone of Yui. Gendo decides to raise the clone (basically Yui’s infant twin who has Lilith’s soul) as his ward and assistant in a scenario that tangs everyone and reunites him with Yui (he really loves her). Yui apparently foresaw all of this and laid the groundwork so things would likely turn out in a way that she can work with later.

Now the series starts. The angel attacks are mostly background as far as the real players are concerned. Then Yui eats an angel’s power source. Gendo knows that she’s won at that point, but Seele doesn’t know that Yui’s mind is intact in 01, so they proceed with their plan. As everyone planned, Rei merges with the empty body of Lilith and prepares to end the world. Unlike what Seele and Gendo wanted, but apparently as Yui wanted, Rei ends the world but gives people a chance to return to physical form if they want. Yui and Rei destroy the remaining Evangelions, then leave, ensuring that whatever humans build next, a group like Seele won’t have a tang reset button.

IRL, the story is based on the author’s struggles with depression and finding hope in flawed existence. Any questions?

Eva is shit. Nadia is way better

>Well off fucking course.
Have you seen 3? Because that's about as off-course as I've seen anything.

Adventure time