Why don't we get beautiful western animation anymore?

Why don't we get beautiful western animation anymore?

Attached: 322.jpg (625x352, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0tokBFnNGAU
youtube.com/watch?v=CGzKnyhYDQI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shit tier CGI and flash are cheaper

Attached: 1516853231065.png (924x1400, 517K)

We do, but you're a faggot, stop breathing before you embarrass yourself even more.

Looking at this, it feels like there are two generic anime characters blocking my view of a nice scene.

Capitalism

Attached: 1445924528353.webm (854x480, 2.86M)

>We do

Show examples or GTFO faggot

Kimi no na wa wasn't that good

But it was nice to look at

Because outsourcing 3d artists labor at India is more cost-effective

Sup Forums- weeabos shitposting.

Attached: 766px-Velázquez_–_Bufón_don_Sebastián_de_Morra_1645.jpg (766x1024, 222K)

What is it about CGI that makes people's blood boil? It's not like traditional 2D hasn't had its fair share of shit.

It does kinda bum me out that there’s so little aesthetics in western animation

It's because when done right, 2D animation is almost always vastly superior to 3D. Of course 2D has had its fair share of garbage films but the most beloved, the most well-made far outpace even the best CGI movies, and good CGI movies could be made even better if they were done in 2D, see pic related.

Attached: frozen pencil test.gif (268x335, 1.66M)

Also, 3D ages like fucking milk.
Since technology is progressing at an increasing rate, older 3D films will look like dogshit. I'll bet you that in 3-4 years from now Frozen will look like shitty plastic.

>3D ages like fucking milk
depends on the art style, honestly
Wind Waker still looks good to this day imo

Cgi is very limiting compared to 2d due to the use of models with set figures that reduce how exaggerated or with lack of a better word animated they can be.

This anime and the directors other works are the source of nearly 60% all anime background wallpapers on the internet

That doesn't make the movie automatically good though. As the other user said, it is pleasing to look at, but I didn't really like the characters, they were too simple

Beautiful isn't always full of lens flares.

Attached: 1415829623121.png (1920x1080, 2.44M)

I hadn't considered that but it's probably true.

It kinda does already. Nobody tries to go for realism anymore and Disney's style of choice looks vaguely like Barbie dolls

I remember there was this gorgeous, beautifully rendered scene overlooking the lake that lasted for one second.

Lens flare and generic anime characters =/= beauty
>Ignores the fact that Japanese shit is made for profit too
>A large percentage of that profit coming from foreign countries, including the west
>posting an image of a show also made for profit from the west that looks amazing
Shiggy Diggy
This

>animation
>post still frame
The absolute state of this fucking board

That was supposed to be faint praise, but oh well

OP cant tell he difference between animation and a fucking wallpaper

this anime is shit

but most western cartoons are much shiter

Why use most of your budget on animation when you can hire a bunch of Koreans to shit out frames and keep most of the money for yourself?

Attached: 1397618802870.webm (640x480, 2.8M)

Wrong webm

Attached: 1405998268963.webm (640x362, 2.97M)

whats this? an indie short film or something?
i dont like it much

looks like a cheap mini game on PSN

why is that room a hundred feet tall, with a single support beam standing attached to the ceiling
i don't get it

When will mods start giving a shit and delete these blatantly off topic east vs west threads

>nigga doesn't know about Birdie

When you stop bumping the threads to whine about them. Even Sup Forums handles shitposting better than you do

Attached: 1427521429271.webm (640x360, 2.57M)

Except I didn't and haven't bumped this thread.

samurai jack ?
watch the whole thing..

youtube.com/watch?v=0tokBFnNGAU

This warms my cockles

It's called avoiding the uncanny valley. 'Realism' is more expensive to do, usually looks much worse, and ages WAY worse than stylized designs

Attached: 1395117083581.gif (384x288, 2.61M)

Cel-shading has a peculiar way of keeping for a long time, assuming the 3d models and animations are good.

Attached: Knights_of_Sidonia_Season_2_Promo.jpg (670x377, 53K)

You have pet mollusks?

It's like film vs digital. I really don't mind if Kubrick use digital, the problem is when hack directors and studio abuse it and it force the market to follow the trend

list all that commie animated kino below

Why does PlagueofEli have such shit taste?

What series is this? I remember watching it on Cartoon Network.

Because the West is fucking dying

Pretty much every single Disney/Pixar movie looks better than the shit you posted, regardless of story quality.

I got baited into the shit pile that is birdie by some flashy gifs before.
Fuck you.

>2D animation
Noice
>CGI
Alright
>mixed
>mfw

Attached: 1510477915404.jpg (397x625, 30K)

Sauce?

1- Money

2- Slave labor is frowned upon in the US

Thanks for the wallpaper, user.

MAKOTO SHINKA...I?! IS THAT YOU?!

I can't help but see Moon over June in some of those frames.

Motorcity

Thank you, user.

Agreed. And Frozen already looks like shitty plastic

The biggest issue with CGI is that it is mainly made by studios focusing on CGI for movies. Gives them good scenery shots, but the characters look and move really shitty.

We do, but it's all in Europe now.

youtube.com/watch?v=CGzKnyhYDQI
We still got some beautiful animation in indie animated movies and indie shorts as well, the problem is that if it is not Disney or anime, most people (Like OP, probably) dont give two shits.

soorrrry but this looks like everything is done by very easy cheap AF/PS plugins

they dont realize the difference between analog-ish effects on digital media and just raw analog, this is the same trash as those shitty instagram photos done by hipster vintage-feel plugins.

Cartoon Saloon's output continues being stellar.
It's just there's a much bigger market for Toei-like studios in the west than those of non-Toei variety.

they painted every single frame you triple baka

It's not so much the tools as how they're used. And CGI is being overused because it's "modern".

Movies should not be in CGI unless there's an actual reason to make them CGI. Any sense of aesthetic difference that studios have is in shades of grey compared to what multiple 2D films from other countries can do.

The Iron Giant managed a good combination.

Who said anything about profiting? Who's to say they just didn't want to spend money on one show when they could stretch it across two shows?

but it's so much easier to reanimate the movie after sudden rewrite.

Guy blamed capitalism when both the industries he's talking about are capitalist, profit-driven.

as much as i wanna support experimental animations, that doesnt mean anything when it doesnt work well on screen. you actually can easily make this sort of shit with a default plug-in and its easy preset.

this also looks videogamey. like arty european indie games that are somewhat visually enjoyable but boring as video game. how come they try shit like this. it only wastes time and money.

2) Anime makes more money
3) People are just lazy

I don't think the problem the user has is the painting style so much. The problem seems to be more that the animation is rotoscoped, which always makes the animation fell less fantasy-like.

Ashita no Nadja.

>Shitting on Your Name
>Shitting on "I've Felt Things You People Wouldn't Believe" the movie
>Shitting on a movie that if it was animated by Pixar would have been the highest grossing animated film of all time and won Best Animated Film
>Shitting on the best anime film ever made.

I sure fucking hope you assholes don't do this.

Attached: 1423630835143.png (919x453, 438K)

We still do. Just not as frequently. That movie The Breadwinner was gorgeous. And though I didn’t like the designs of the main characters themselves, Over The Garden Wall looked incredible. I guess it just depends on if you enjoy the art style of something or not. One of my biggest thing is how fluid something moves. A trait anime rarely gets right

I agree with most of that, but CG is starting to find a threshold. I feel it’s the movies that go for photo realism that will age badly. Avatar looks disgusting by today’s standards.
I think movies like Trolls and Coco will probably hold up for a reasonably longer amount of time. Things like Moana, though great looking now, probably won’t age well.

My favorite cartoon of all time. I was so blown away that CN put that out

It's shit.

What about Zootopia? I already cant stand these humongous bunny eyes.

Why don't you discuss it on Sup Forums?

Have you ever been to Sup Forums?

Does Motorcity look like a show that made any kind of financial profits?

My problem with Zootopia is definitely the eyes, but the fur effect is really nice and will probably hold up decently. But I never thought it looked visually groundbreaking. Both that and Inside Out just seemed to be movies Disney and Pixar rushed out to fill a gap in the schedule

yeah thats just it. they shouve done it a straight up cartoon way. id love it if they had cool abstract cartoon characters or even normal type cartoon ones. its a damn shame they put the cinematic experience type realistic characters in it. its damn boring.

There’s still plenty of seems in western animation for wallpapers.

Attached: 2427FDD4-D782-4DB6-8B5A-25EB312C250F.png (622x261, 181K)

“Scenes” not “seems.” iPhone autocorrect

Attached: 2BA18F03-86BA-4A87-BC04-F80AC34F369F.jpg (4791x2000, 1.36M)

zootopia was postponed once, and then they had to scrap like 40% of the movie because they found out animal dystopia is not pleasant to look at all.

Attached: pixar saw some shit.png (1366x768, 1.92M)

Attached: cartoon nostalgiafags btfo.jpg (1225x1225, 450K)

Well it felt very rushed and incomplete. The narrative was especially broken. Script changes makes sense though. Personally I would have just scrapped the project. But it made a ton of money so the issues will never be addressed

>muh shading
fuck off

Attached: 1520884504729.png (1200x1200, 903K)

i only remember the weird shot at the palm tree hotel at the beginning, as if it was important to the plot (it wasnt) and somewhat rushed final scenes.

i loved the movie, but then got disgusted by the story behind, but that's just me

Cgi isn't bad when it's done right. Just cgi revolves on technological limitations, while hand drawn animation isnt.

The problem with cgi is that it's animation, but depends on realistic colors, shading and other laws on nature. Hand drawn animation isn't bound by that.

Attached: 91551DF8-3517-4452-A6D7-2F4D81C372FF.jpg (1200x800, 93K)

>2d background
>3d characters

what an odd idea.

Attached: Underdog.jpg (520x367, 47K)

>best anime movie

Attached: 1518488763247.gif (640x266, 3.26M)

Have you watched it recently? It already looks awful

That's not an excuse faggot. If not Sup Forums then do it on Sup Forums you off topic fuck.

>cgi revolves on technological limitations, while hand drawn animation isnt.
what the fuck

>CGI depends on realistic colors, shading and other laws on nature
what the FUCK

Attached: 1480636812116.jpg (324x304, 18K)

Its almost like you're on a weeaboo website

Thisbpocure defeats that entire argument

Attached: 580F32DB-839B-4CA0-98AB-ACCCE2953846.jpg (480x360, 21K)

That was the intent, yes. What does a show that doesn't make profit look like to you? Your Name? Because that movie made an absolute ton (despite being overrated trash).