A copy of Gabby Rivera's "America" has made it to the desk of Sonia Sotomayor

>twitter.com/QuirkyRican/status/974379051820421120?s=19

For the few who may not know, Sup Forums's favorite comic, "America" by Gabby Rivera, was mostly set on a interdimensional school called "Sotomayor University", named after Sonia Sotomayor (the school also had a holographic image of their namesake greeting students at the front gate). Now, apparently a copy of "America" has made it to the desk of the actual Sonia Sotomayor, and she has written a letter to Rivera.

With the way this letter is phrased, does anyone else get the impression that Sotomayor thinks Gabby is a child, and not a 35 year old woman?

Attached: SotomayorWritesToGabby.jpg (900x1200, 165K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/QuirkyRican/status/974379051820421120?s=19
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Sotomayor University in question (for those who don't know).

Attached: SotomayorUniversity.jpg-large.jpg (960x426, 118K)

It's just a diplomatic answer, I bet she didn't get past the first few pages, if she read it at all (>reading funnybooks).

Yeah, it seems like a very cookie cutter response. Hell, it might just be from Sotomayor's secretary for all we know.

>With the way this letter is phrased, does anyone else get the impression that Sotomayor thinks Gabby is a child, and not a 35 year old woman?
Not really, no.

Dear [name]

I am grateful to you for your thoughtful note in addition to a[n] [autographed] copy of your work. My [staff/family member/misc. lackey] gifted me your [work medium], and I am so thankful that they did. It is clear that you are not only a remarkably talented and creative [profession], but a strong and dedicated individual as well. You have created a [thing relevant to work] in the production of [title of work], and I know you will forever inspire many individuals by continuing to invent [thing relevant to work]. Indeed, it is important to remind [readers/viewers/listeners] to take time to honor themselves and embrace their differences and strengths.

I appreciate you also sharing a bit about yourself with me. I am confident that you will continue to [quote from letter]. Never give up. In the years to come, I wish you the joy of dreaming big, working hard and succeeding in all that you do

Very truly yours,
[signature stamp here]
Sonia Sotomayor

It looks like a form letter. Just replace the blanks with "Gabby", "America", and "comic book"

>"Never give up. In the years to come, I wish you the joy of dreaming big, working hard and succeeding in all that you do."
That just seem to me like something a role model would tell a child who wrote them a letter in crayon.

>random politician receives a planned gift from someone they couldn't give two shits about
This is news because?

It's honestly not far of from the C.O. letter user sent

We hate her and the book so therefore we must do nothing but talk about them 24/7 instead of talking about GOOD books and writers!!!

WTF marvel and dc just cancelled their good books why is this!!!!

>America Chavez getting a boost in notoriety from how awful the book is will cause people to think that Gabby created the character
>People will forever associate America with butchered Spanish and obnoxious lesbian stereotypes instead of the dimension hopping ass kicker she used to be
>All the backstory stuff (America coming from a dimension of all women) will be blamed on Gabby and not her other writers
>The character will now either never be used due to her toxic name (like Mockingbird), or be relegated to Carol or Spiderwoman tier (only showing up for diversity points)

It sucks when a character with tons of potential gets stuck with a crappy writer and they never get a chance to shine. Like if the book had spent less time with the stupid university and more time travelling around dimensions and fighting monsters and aliens it could have been great. Like imagine an America book that was basically Star trek, with a new dimension of the week. You could have told some exciting stories. But no, we got "Holy Menstruation!" instead

If you were given an opportunity to write an America Chavez book, how would you do it? Hard mode: This book has to be canon and not be retconned

Attached: notNow.jpg (1448x1085, 135K)

>random politician
Not to be pedantic but does a Supreme Court Justice count as a politician? I'm actually asking here not BSing

>"Hugs to everyone in your comic book reading club!"
By the way, does anybody know when the next banner contest is? Somebody needs to do something with that letter and make into a banner.

Not really, no. It's not an elected position, and once they get appointed they never have to play politics again, as it's a lifetime job that they can't be removed from.

Then again, it takes a fucking hell of a political game to even get the chance to be nominated.

I'm going to say no, they are not politicians in any traditional sense, but only AFTER they actually get the position.

You are just trying to fish for mockery and your are grasping at straw. Have you read child work, or Teenage one? America might not be good, but there is now fucking way anyone would think it's written by a kid.

Some people like this work, just deal with it. You just sound like a sore person who is frustrated he can't use the new material to amke fun of your favorite pet peeve.

>but there is now fucking way anyone would think it's written by a kid.
You're right. I was going to say it was written by a handicapped person, but I realized that it would be insulting to handicapped people.

>America might not be good, but there is now fucking way anyone would think it's written by a kid.
Gabbie get off Sup Forums

Attached: 20180316_171523.jpg (1040x749, 475K)

This is literally so inspiring!

Christ, that was a chore to read. Is the rest of the comic that bad?

You...you don't know, do you? You're still pure. Keep it that way.

It has better art. The comic is bad in general, but that panel is the worst written of the whole run.

Worse than "Holy Menstruation"?

Her response was probably "y esa soy yo o la doctora Polo?"

>never have to play politics again

Satomayer, Ginsberg and Skakel are blatant liberals and frequently make liberal decisions. They play politics 24/7 but without the ability to purge them. Cancer

Yes, by virtue of "Holy Menstration" only being two words instead of a whole page.

Why would the first thing you see when entering campus be number 11 on the map key? FUCK. I go to FIU and even our building set up ain't this bad.

Who the fuck is Sonia Sodomizewhatever?

Attached: f05.png (5000x5000, 412K)

Yeah, i think so. "Holy menstruation" was bad but the characters were actually talkin with each other, so it is not that bad.

Meh, Korra Black Ultra Chonga won't be missed.

No, that's really the highlight. The rest is terrible too but not to the degree of that issue and that panel. That was peak Gabby.

A Supreme Court Justice member. Has a university for superpowered beings in another dimension in Marvel comics thanks to Gabby Rivera's America series.

She's a Justice of the Supreme Court of Murica, one of eight. The SC is the highest court in America, so she's one of the eight most powerful judges in the country.

She's also way lighter than Gabby portrays her

Attached: 800px-Sonia_Sotomayor_in_SCOTUS_robe.jpg (800x1000, 112K)

Just get rid of her. She's a figment of a figment of scarlet witch's crazed fever-dream. Someone should come along with the soul gem or reality gem and just wipe her from existence.

There's plenty of reality/dimension hopping heroes who need to be used instead. Bloating up the Marvel universe with more shit characters is a stupid idea.

>She's a figment of a figment of scarlet witch's crazed fever-dream
No one tell him about the retcon

>She's also way lighter than Gabby told Joe Quinones to color her
FIFY

Well I assume the decision was Gabby's, which is why I just mentioned her.

>one of eight.
Nine now.

The retcon doesn't count.

You can flip this and say the same about conservative judges, moron.

He is a child.

>following the constitution is conservative

This is why liberals need to be gassed

Yeah user. Every conservative decision a conservative judge makes is just following the constitution. You're fucking brainwashed moron. Go back to r/the _Donald

Explain why having everyone be the same shade of ambiguous brown is desireable

But her character design is nice, she just needs to be written by someone not retarded.

Because then you can pretend latinx are a race.

they can be removed, but it's really difficult and almost never happens

Do you think she liked being turned black because reasons?

Clarence Thomas reads comic books and loves Icon, to the point where he keeps a collection in his office.

Don't look at the campus map too much. It gets worse the longer you look.

are we just going to ignore Gabby herself sent her a copy of the book in a desperate plea for attention?

And after it got canned and ended too.
Good job Gabby, you did it.

Attached: ela latinx goblinx.jpg (1041x1600, 475K)

This really does read like it's written by Chris Chan.

That doesn't make them politicians. You aren't a politician for making conservative decisions.

Not really a Retcon, just more reality warping stupidity from Wiccan.

no, only my team good! Other team evil!

Have you considered talking to someone about your unhealthy obsession with Gabby?

Attached: Freud.jpg (1412x2000, 636K)

No, I think overall the letter was rather sincere. Getting a letter back is a lovely sentiment in of itself, even better if she actually wrote it herself.

It is a very short letter, with somewhat basic remarks, which I suppose is what you're surmising that she's talking down to her. I don't it see it that way, but it's only natural that she'd use broad statements considering she's a justice on the supreme court writing a letter to some random comic author.

She probably flipped through the comic, I doubt she gave much shit about the dialogue. Who the fuck has time for that, especially for someone of her position.

Is that gabby?

The Bobby Hill lookalike from the bottom row? Aye, self-insert no.1

>the Cure AND MCR
have I stumbled into the early 2000s somehow

>If you were given an opportunity to write an America Chavez book, how would you do it? Hard mode: This book has to be canon and not be retconned
Saw an user here say they'd make the America book just her warped perception of what's going on and that she's suffering from a severe lack of identity and from ptsd from losing her home world.

I suppose the worst insult you can give them is calling them "politicians in robes".

They hold sessions for each case, give their decisions based on their interpretations of the law, and the decision is simply tallied up among them.

Do they have political bias? Of course, but they're much more respected than the regular shittalking politicians who have to worry about their elected seat every few years.

>My law clerks gifted me with your comic

That part made got me thinking. This wasn't sent sent in to her. Some clerk of hers "gifted" a Supreme Court judge with a comic that I doubt anyone outside Sup Forums know even exists. That seems suspicious.

The signature seems legit, but something not right. It looks a little shaky, which isn't strange in and of itself, but the only sample that looks like this just so happens to match an official letter. That's strange. But much more damning is note that this is just written on plain old paper with "Sonia Sotomayor" written on it, while in the example I used to compare the signatures is actual Supreme Court stationary. It has "Supreme Court of the United States" etc. on the top, and they seem to usually have "Chambers of Justice such-and such" towards the right-hand corner. The font's not even right, much less in the right place with the right words.

I'm stating the obvious here, but it's fake.

Attached: 10421198_10201477281893101_3535399734913280267_n.png (657x960, 283K)

that's a good point, why the fuck isn't it on official letterhead

did Gabby just commit a felony for brownie points

cuz looking at those signatures, the OP is pretty clearly fake.

Hold on, why the fuck is Black Cat there? She has nothing to do with this series. Did Quinones just feel like drawing her again after she showed up in the Howard The Duck run he did?

>Clarence "I snooze, you lose" Thomas
Yes but user we were talking about the Supreme Court JUDGES

This writing is so bad that it caused me physical pain.

My dude, this isn't even one of the worst pages.

Also look at the date on the letter to Gabby: March 1st, 2017. She had this letter a whole year and she's just now getting it?
twitter.com/QuirkyRican/status/974379051820421120?s=19

that's literally the day America #1 came out

I mean, that is suspicious, but it isn't like advanced copies aren't a thing.

well I found a letter from Sotomayor with the same letterhead

buuuuuuuuut the date is still a little weird

Attached: LetterJusticeSotomayor.jpg (2552x3300, 454K)

it raises some questions about how her law clerks gifted it to her and then she also got a signed copy on the first day

The signature is false. The shakiness isn't the problem really, it's more in the accentuation areas and the starting + ending points.
Like the loop on the first S of Gabby's letter. It's not supposed to be a loop on the official document. It's a starting point that first goes down then backtracks and starts the upper curve of the S. It's not supposed to be very pronounced but chances are that the signature on the official document is numerized and applied later so that an important person doesn't have to spend 3 hours every day just signing stuff. On Gabby's letter that movement is poorly reproduced as a loop, which it pretty clearly isn't supposed to be.
Similar problem with the lack of accentuation on the I. It's supposed to be a sharp movement to start an ending curve. On Gabby's letter, it's barely visible and the following movement is a continuity rather than a curve.
Fucking hell, faking a signature is always hard unless you really know what you are doing but that's a new low, impersonating a supreme judge just to get some approval points on twitter.
And aside from the obvious forgery, wouldn't that also count as impersonating a public figure?

forging a judge's signature is a felony

but that might only be on official court documents

To my knowledge, Marvel doesn't do advanced copies unless they're being given to the press for review. I doubt they would give this woman a copy ahead of time so she can see her name on an superhero school.
>buuuuuuuuut the date is still a little weird
That's the weird thing. On her Twitter and Instagram, Gabby is acting like she just got it. I mean, it's called "Snail Mail" for a reason, but it's not THAT slow.

I keep everything that's been set up, broadstroke the details, and put a little Silver Age mentality to a two-fisted tale of a universe-hopping, Leztina, sexbomb superhero.

I like to imagine Clarence Thomas bought her every issue as they were released and had them delivered straight to her office.

>sending THAT comic to a SC Justice
Is that a terrorist attack? Treason?

>clerk intern is forced to write a response
I'm glad I don't have that job.

"play politics" in the context user was using meant being a politician/ running for office/having to worry about reelection campaigns and having to sweet talk constituents not simply having a political bias

This made me mad so much for some unknown reasons. I always complains about having too many words in speeches bubbles in comic books. It shows a writer's inability to transcript a character's thoughts or intentions in a fluid and direct manner. But this is something else. This is Chris-Chan or lazerbot level of bad dialogues.

It's so bad that I went on ms paint to make it somewhat better by erasing everything that is superfluous.

Attached: asd.png (1040x749, 1.11M)

I would say it's just a first day intern assigned to signing fanmail responses to practice her signature, but then it's also dated to last year

Attached: 5b2.gif (340x213, 951K)

Only the second speech bubble is needed with this edit.

Interns don't sign documents like that nowadays. The signatures are numerized so they can be inserted and printed at least in my corner of Yuroland, not sure if that's the case for the US on documents that really don't need to be personally checked by the person whose time is quite valuable. This sort of completely inconsequential "fanmail" would be a good exemple.

Yeah, you're actually right. Out of this entire panel, a single sentence is needed to convey Hawkeye's emotion.

This is incredible. A new form of incompetence.

Going to recommend this letter to my legal affairs club I am part of.

Many of the members are fans of Plessy vs Ferguson, so I'm sure they will go for it.

"This is incredible. A new form of incompetence."
-Every America storytime ever

There is a roughly zero percent chance that Sonia Sotomayor has ever seen a copy of America, let alone read it. And why would she? Even the most popular comic books are read by like 0.1% of Americans, and America is a far cry from the most popular comic books.

This is a polite form letter, I bet Supreme Court justices get tons of "You really inspire me" letters from kids, especially an uncontroversial one with a notable demographic background.

>almost 8 pm on a Friday in Washington DC
>won't be able to call Sotomayor's office for confirmation until Monday probably
I'm almost inclined to believe it's real just because of how incredibly stupid you'd have to be to share a forged signature of a major public figure publicly

Attached: too stupid to be a lie.png (518x759, 804K)

>my legal affairs club
Is that the C.O. club?

I mean, if you canceled America, waited a few years, and then restarted it with a good writer, it'd be fine (or as fine as any new comic is nowadays).

You could even make it super-liberal. Green Arrow is super-liberal, and no one holds it against him because there are good Green Arrow stories.

I mean, it's clearly a form letter. If I were dumb enough to make a fake letter from a SCOTUS judge I'd be dumb enough to have it include literally any details about the book besides the protagonist's name

First off I hate Sotomayor so I’m not projecting on to her, but I really feel that she thinks Gabby is retarded. This letter sounds like she wrote it to a little kid. And the “make magic” in quotes, Jesus this is fucking hilarious

so...bets on how long until this shows up on BleedingCool?

>Why did America break up with her girlfriend because she didn't want to live in a van in another dimension?
>How did a gang of pre-teens from another dimension kidnap America's ex-girlfriend and why is she in a baby harness?
>Why is there a sorority who named themselves in reference to a movie?
>Why does the head of a multiversal corporation want to make America Chavez robots?
>Why is their a contingent of white supremacist students attending a minority-majority university?
>How come we've never seen them before?
>Why does the campus have zero security?

Gabby was bitten by a radioactive Chris Claremont.

>There is a roughly zero percent chance that Sonia Sotomayor has ever seen a copy of America, let alone read it.
Let's do a little research:
>According to Comichron, during it's first month (March 2017, the same time this letter was supposedly written) America #1 was the 37th highest selling book, with 43,592 issues ordered. Of course, we have no way of knowing how many actually sold, but with those numbers, it's very unlikely that somebody physically handed Mrs Sodawater a copy of it.
"Alt-Right troll forum fakes another letter to Gabby Rivera" by Rich Johnston

If this think is actually a forgery and the people of bleedingcuck have an ounce of brain, never. Otherwise, they risk sending their precious brxwn, quxxr latinx writerx to jail.