I returned to Earth to see her three times, and I knew if I returned a fourth, I'd never leave

>I returned to Earth to see her three times, and I knew if I returned a fourth, I'd never leave
>It broke my heart to put that tumor in her head

Attached: Ego.png (1920x800, 1.48M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=or8UhztOSH4
youtube.com/watch?v=JDG2m5hN1vo
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That was some fucking cold shit.

It's my personal headcanon that Ego originally was that Celestial that is now Knowhere. Like another Celestial tried to kill him billions of years ago, his brain survived, and didn't remember anything before

Classic Narcissism.

"Feel sad for me over the thing I did that massively fucked you over."

He was fucking retarded for not expecting starlord to attack him

This desu, people who are claiming it was illogical and bad writing have had the luck to never know someone massively narcissistic and egotistical.

Unironically the best MCU villain.

Might be just because I have dad issues and can self insert though.

the problem is his a fucking god like being who lived thousands of years and is more intelligent than humans

He should at least know how retarded he would sound to others

he had a pretty overinflated Ego

Attached: Carlos.jpg (210x240, 17K)

He had already brainwashed Peter. He didn't expect his love for his mother to be more powerful than the "infinity" he made Peter experience.

His name is Ego for a reason.

That was actually a really good villain line and moment. Who's narcissism trumped his other emotions, which is usually why people do awful things. It's not that they don't feel sympathy or love, but it's not as strong as their obsession with self-preservation.

My problem was that most of his dialogue was either an 80s reference or exposition. Kurt did a phenomenal job, but like a lot of his roles, the writers didn't give him enough to do.

It don't mean he couldn't understand basic psychology

Age ≠ Wisdom

Living for thousands of years could just further cement his delusion.

And his name is Ego, the guy is the pure embodiment of Greed.

Couldn't he just wait a few years until she died of natural causes? A human lifespan is like the blink of an eye to him.

You need to not be delusional in order to get basic psychology. Narcissism is a form of delusion.

No, because he's a magic stargod. If he had truly fallen in love, he could have made her immortal, just as easily as he gave her a brain tumor.

The whole point is that while he did love Starlord's mother, he cut away that part of himself so that he could focus on a entirely selfish goal. His selfishness is what makes him a villain.

I kinda assumed something like this happened.

Like, I get it. He has such a huge Ego and is so used to sniffing his own farts that he might think that his son would understand it.
But why risk it? Like since he arrived he has shown an incredible fondness for his mother and he's only JUST learned of his godhood. Even if you assume finding out you're basically god will make him lose his empathy for humanity, you don't at all have to tell him this if there's even a 10% chance that might piss him off.

By that logic he wouldn't kill her because he would believe himself capable of solving any dilema and getting whatever he wanted on both sides

The whole point of this was that Peter was "the one", the child that could be a true part of Ego's plans. Ego expected that if he gave Peter enlightenment and let him see The Big Picture that it would sweep away any other connections he had.

He thought he had already won and that Peter would understand.

Why do you keep trying to ascribe logic to behavior that is by definition illogical?
I mean, I know why, but who do you think you're fooling?

He's just a Celestial that came out weird and without a body. Celestials are born within a planet aren't they? It could be he was just born without his body and was just the brain inside the planet.

It didn't occur to him maybe this was not the best way to get Quill on his side?

This was kind of my only gripe with the entire film. Why did he even bother to mention it?

I'm sure he felt, because of his massive ego, that Peter wouldn't turn down godlike powers because he loved his mom that much. But it was still a pretty needless thing to point out to Peter in conversation.

Peter had already made it clear to him earlier that it bothered him that Ego left his mother. Odd that he wouldn't think "Oh it's much worse than that, son. I straight-up murdered her and made you watch." wouldn't go over well with Peter after that.

And before anyone points it out: I get it, the guy is a narcissist and doesn't necessarily think logically about everything. But he's not retarded; he can read human emotions well enough that this should've been a factor to him.

He didn't think ahead , he could of had everything , he could of just waited or kept his momacide a secret. His plan was to cover all inhabited planets in blue goo

Ego thought once Peter saw the "big picture", he would immediately agree with Ego's perspective on life/the universe.

He heard Peter listening to the same song he liked and he thought that meant they thought alike. That was literally why he decided to drop the plan on him there and then.

A thousand lifetimes of experiences more than the average person doesn't mean a thing when you had too much of an EGO to ever learn from those experiences.

When your holding all the cards, why play games?

youtube.com/watch?v=or8UhztOSH4

Well and they try to hit you over the head with it.
He's EGO. It should be obvious what his fatal flaw is and how that influences everything about him. Like how he doesnt care about children of they dont have HIS unique gene that makes them an extension of HIMSELF.

Most of the MCU villains in Phase 3 have been pretty well written. Vulture, Ego, Killmonger. Hela could have used a couple of flashbacks of her and Odin fighting and show how Odin's upbringing of her shaped her but how she couldnt change (like Loki) when everyone else was.

And Kaecilius could have used, similarly, some space to just have him mull over how people die and disappear and how much that scares him.

Just gotta hope this solid writing extends to Thanos now

He legitimately didn't think Peter would have an issue with it. It just came out because he's talking about himself and he thinks Peter and him are on the same frequency completely.

Ego believed he had convinced Peter completely of what he believed

>villain says some hall of fame cold-ass bombshell shit
>protag immediately shoots him
Pretty solid moment. MCU highlight for sure.

Attached: 1517499398469.jpg (335x443, 125K)

Peter was his son, he though him of all people would understand him

>that brief moment of total silence in the theater before someone whispered "Oh shit."

Attached: 1482360528425.jpg (380x718, 78K)

He wan't capable of empathizing enough for that to strike him as so inappropriate. He regularly demonstrates how out of tune he is with the values of mortal beings and only humors them for as long as it interests him.

Is he related to Grandmaster and Collector? Or is he a different being entirely?

He didn't know Peter was going to be the one to have the Celestial gene. He had to go find more women to knock up.

Fuck that moment was perfect, they really nailed it down

Attached: 1507237143367.jpg (721x960, 73K)

In the comics yes but then again in the comics Ego is not Quill’s father and MCU is a different universe.

There was some backstory involving Kaecilius's family that should have been covered in the movie. He had alot of the building blocks of an engaging villain but they never assembled them into something coherent.

If you don’t expect your son to try to rip your non existent balls off and force feed them to you after saying that, then you are more of a fucking idiot than you’re supposed to be.

>yfw Mads would have made the perfect Doctor Doom but now Marvel won’t do it because they have a policy against recasting

Fucking wasted

>best MCU villain
>not Jeff Goldblum

Attached: Grandmaster what.png (1920x800, 1.36M)

Yeah, especially if they drew a comparison to him as someone who wants to save lives genuinely and is willing to make some terrible sacrifices for it and Dr Strange who saved lives but also desired fame and attention and wealth as a price for saving lives.

They already had the running theme of Time and a desire to stop it or turn it back, so they could have connected it to that

>I woke up today thinking of a public execution...It's true
I hope Ragnarok basically soaked up the quips for the entirety of Infinity War.

>the problem is his a fucking god like being who lived thousands of years and is more intelligent than humans
>He should at least know how retarded he would sound to others

the point is being a dickhead can override thousands of years of wisdom and godly powers

>villain
he did nothing wrong

he fixed the fight when Point Break started winning

Especially since he has lived deceiving people from all sorts of planets for millions of years.

Quips was fine for eccentric grandmaster but not Thor.

>implying that wasn’t done to make his mass Hulk fans happy and thus making his people
>inb4 he keeps slaves

No no no they are prisoners with jobs

Hulk was his main attraction did you see how many fucking fans he had?
You think he would have let him go down just like that?
Plus that set up the rematch for more ticket sales later.

Attached: landscape-1491834549-jeff-goldblum-grandmaster-thor-ragnarok.jpg (980x490, 52K)

his plan to swallow up the universe with his seeds felt unnecessary after this line. at this point he was already the villain, especially when it is revealed that he killed all of his other kids. maybe if the plan was still merely a desire for ego, and he needed a child with his power to maintain his brain-soul while he left to conquer the universe unabated.

I laughed so hard at that. And you guys forgetting he melted someone just for gambling point blank but he was so quirky and seemingly delusional that it was more funny than scary. Dammit Goldblum

>I'm stepping in it, I'm stepping in it
>What's it smell like?
>Burnt toast

It's a Marvel movie and as such it has to hit the audience over the head with blunt instruments to make sure they don't miss important plot points. If they were targeting a different audience I'm sure they could have found a subtler and more natural way for Ego to fuck up, but having him drop that massive bombshell out of nowhere was gauranteed to make the mouth breathers go "Ooooh, now he gonna get it!"

Legitimately an "Oh shit" moment.

Like, I'm sure people would have expected the "killing all the kids and planning to absorb everything" would be the worst he did and Ego be your classical egomaniac character, but that fucking reveal shows something even worse.

Like, he looks like he at least was something still humane/with emotions, but the fact he went that far to detach himself from a happy life, all to achieve a stupid goal that would kill more people ends up making you DESPISE what Ego represents as a whole
Definitely one of the best things of the movie.

Attached: 1513391138703-trash.jpg (1200x1200, 111K)

youtube.com/watch?v=JDG2m5hN1vo
honestly kino

>eldritch abomination whose biological goal in life is to spread himself across the galaxy
>not being self centered

That was the fucking dumbest most forced line

Ego was cool. I really liked Vulture though 'cause he was down to Earth. Yeah, he was a criminal but you knew why he was a criminal; he simply wanted a better life for his family. On top of that, he was an honorable type too; because Peter saved not only his daughter but himself as well, he chooses to keep his identity a secret out of respect.

Bad guys with a heart of gold are a little rare in fiction.

Batman's a pretty good villain

I was about to correct you but then I remembered.

You almost got me there, user.

Attached: LaughingJerryLawler.gif (200x153, 716K)

As if.

>Now go out there and show my daughter a good time! Ah, but not TOO good a time.

Attached: 595e872ad084cc28008b7c7f-1136-852.jpg (1136x852, 76K)

>out there firin the merchandise and callin yourself the "Shocker"
>what is this, pro wrestling?

This. Being the antagonist/villain shouldn't make someone an irredeemably evil piece of shit with no positive qualities. The best ones have strong, relatable motives and/or personalities that put them in conflict with the hero of the story. Not one note mustache twirlers who are evil for evil's sake.

Do we think making his wife and daughter dark-skinned was done deliberately to make the twist less predictable?

I can enjoy both to be honest. Not MCU but Carnage is a villain I really liked and he has virtually no depth.

I think it's pretty obvious the whole purpose of the line is because they didn't have time to have a whole act in the film where Peter worked with and was seduced by his dad's way of thinking before they dropped the bombshell. Which I'm fine with, it's only a tad disappointing but I know sacrifices have to be made to keep these things under 3 hours.

Pretty much, doesn't help that Peter is a sperg in the movie

Why did they bother making him look younger in flashbacks? If he's immortal or whatever, why did he age thirty years if he's been around for literal millennias?

Old Kurt Russell seducing a 20-something woman wouldn't go well

Because the body's aged to match Peter's expectations?

You're lucky he didn't go for the David Hasselhoff look he was considering.

I'm just over the de-aging tech they've used for Russell, Douglas and especially Downey from Civil War. It looks freaky and really never adds much.

If they insisted on a younger Ego, it would've been more interesting to see Wyatt Russell playing him.

>freaky
Kurt Russell didn't look that bad de-aged.

Don't forget de-aging captain sparrow
to me that's the worst looking of all

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

is that Keegan Michael Key

eww

This. I think a lot of people misunderstood that about vulture, painting him as a good guy who was just trying to do right by his family. Like...no, Vulture jumped into crime IMMEDIATELY, after getting one bad rap, and became a criminal mastermind who emotionlessly killed a henchman for going against him one too many times, and treated it like it was NOTHING.

He was also more than willing to kill a ship full of people and crush a kid he knew, long after he was more than successful and set for life.

Vulture had a little Breaking Bad Walter White in him
"the world fucked me so it's ok if I do horrible things to feed my family and keep my operation safe"

walter white is also not a good person.

>that scene when Ego is first introduced and he excuses himself to go take a piss
>starts whistling Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) while the scene continues playing out

There's nice little touches like this that really hammer home the enjoyment of this film for me

Attached: 1511820750467.jpg (400x400, 16K)

Everything Batista said was pretty great.

Exactly but people rooted for him because he was relatable and charming
Again just like the vulture

Right.

I just find it annoying that people defend either of their actions due to their charisma.

same, I figured he was a dismembered Celestial that someone wasn't actually able to kill

>his plan to swallow up the universe with his seeds felt unnecessary after this line. at this point he was already the villain, especially when it is revealed that he killed all of his other kids. maybe if the plan was still merely a desire for ego, and he needed a child with his power to maintain his brain-soul while he left to conquer the universe unabated.

It's there to give the Guardians something to fight against, that they can't just run away from. It's happening now and if they don't stop it, NOW, then billions of trillions of beings will die. If it was just "He needs someone to hang out here while he's away", then there would have been no emergency, the Guardians could have just took Peter and ran.

>grandmaster
>villain
lol

It's a tie

I had to say I thought this scene was a little weak, he's saying all this self serving stuff about how he's just trying to provide for his family, yet Spider Man never calls him out on the fact that what he's doing is illegal and people are dying because of it.

he hadn't really killed anyone on purpose, he only killed the first Shocker because he thought the gun would just suspend him in mid-air

I honestly love when a villain shows small moments of humanity. Makes you think about how they could've grown differently as a person, that there are other things they could be in life other than the bad guy in a hero's tale.

Attached: 6084114+_d442381380379805bbe0be989eda2273.jpg (715x529, 83K)

and he just shrugs it off and gives the manacles to one of his other lieutenants.

No remorse, no disgust. Just "Oh, I thought that was the suspension gun. Oh well. Here."

I meant more that he's selling extremely dangerous weapons to dangerous people who are using them ot kill people

While I get where you are coming from, I think that comes from the excellence of the acting/writing of the character, so much to the point where they can have people sympathize with immoral actions simply from personality and charisma alone.

>and I knew if I returned a fourth, I'd never leave

She would have died of old age in what would have seemed like less than an eye blink to him. What was the problem? If anything postponing the plan would have just given him time to plant seeds on more planets.

yep