Which do you prefer, when Sup Forums takes place in a fiction area or when it takes place in a real world city...

Which do you prefer, when Sup Forums takes place in a fiction area or when it takes place in a real world city? Given the choice, where would you set your own creation?

Attached: 56D573C1-418E-4DE8-9360-D698EF891898.jpg (480x360, 39K)

Fictional

What about fictional regions of real world places, like Hell’s Kitchen New York in Dare Devil?

I like when a real world location is used well. If there isn’t a reason for it being in the real place, and they don’t use that place to it’s full potential, it might as well be fake.
The Battletoads cartoon and Oxnard California is a good example of how not to do it, even if Oxnard is too boring of a place anyway

Fictional so the setting has a better reach of audience.

Real settings I believe should only be used when the real setting has an essential part to play in the story

Yeah I kinda like this one.

Like an actually defined state/region, but a fictional location within it. Allows for some creativity with the setting without leaving things too vague about where it is.

Specific place if it somehow plays into the story or they actually portray it well beyond just using the name can work too though.

I don't really mind, but if you're gonna call a place "New York City" it better have more than just the Empire State Building and Times Square.

I don't really care either way, but if I had to choose, I'd take fictional places within real locations.

>Given the choice, where would you set your own creation?
I actually AM creating something, and the location will be just like what I described above, a fictional forest in Michigan. Literally the best of both worlds.

Attached: 1518834404271.png (720x892, 643K)

Attached: Globe_4.png (1335x891, 651K)

>Hell’s Kitchen
Is a real place.

I like fictional places that take aspects of various cities and applies them to the setting.

also, i like when the city is fleshed out into a bunch of different neighborhoods, where you can see the different dynamics and settings the fictional world has to offer. also, real world amenities, like neighboring towns/suburbs, public transit systems and maps, and sports teams are a plus for me.

i haven't really found any Sup Forums media that i thought does this fantastically, but i think just setting an episode in a different location than the default setting is sufficient at the very least.

pic semi-related. BC in the show reminds me of a lot of small East Coast towns I've visited.

Attached: 1455163609645.jpg (3686x2867, 1.34M)

>wanting your story to take place where hamburgers eat people

It would distract from any sort of story you wanted to tell

Not if you did Attack on Titan but it had giant burgers Instead. It’d be a great surreal episode of a comedy show or a one shot comic. Couldn’t last longer than a single story though

Why bother with all the boardwalk and amusement park shit when there's nowhere to park?
Who's going there? The 25 people who live in walking distance?

That whole "city" can be crossed on foot in 2 minutes.

Is beach city actually a city, or is it a town?

I only like real world settings to justify multiethnic characterization.

Fictional, you'll have all kinds of fans trying to rules lawyer your lore as to whether a character is intended to be the equivalent to White, Asian, Black, Latin, Russian etc., You can still make those intended characters, but heaven forbid if a character with certain prejudices attaches to that character and plays mental gymnastics on how said character isn't ____ because it makes their pee-pee hard.

Attached: Rodrigo-Alves.jpg (615x409, 43K)

But it's a fictional version of it, like how Detroit in RoboCop is a fictional, better version of the real one.

That seems like an incredibly autistic reason to prefer one thing over another.

Don't confuse autism with passion. Just don't.

fictional area surrounded by the real world - like arlen or langley falls

Okay. That seems like an incredibly autistic passion.

Something you don't value or goes above your head isn't autism, flyover. That's not how it works.

it struck me as more of a local county park rather than a main tourist attraction. however, if they build a small hotel downtown, they could probably attract a lot more visitors to the amusement park.

depends on how your state classifies cities and towns, Beach City could probably qualify as a hamlet. But, I think it is a small town.

When I was a kid a real place I had never been to my as well have been fictional. Nowadays I appreciate when they do it even if it isn't ever relevant.

Cartoony version of a real world location with stereotypes and urban myths being the reality.

What if I need a whole country? Should I invent something like Wadiya or whatever? I never particularly liked this approach.

get back to work duck

If it was an urban/suburban environment I'd put it in a fictionalized real place. It works for Workaholics, it can work for me.

I set a lot of my work in heavily fictionalized alternate versions of real locations. It's been working so far but I want to do better.

The pro of putting it in a fictionalization of a real city like New York, LA etc is that you are able to make people instantly understand the culture of your world. You don’t need to explain what New Yorkers are like and in occasion you can use the tourist areas as set pieces.
Making a fake town/city in a real world area has benefits because you can already have the climate set up and you can use resources of that area while still having mostly fictional area.
In a completely fictional place you can do literally anything, but you hve to compensate for everything from climate to culture to natural resources