What are some Sup Forums approved operating systems?

What are some Sup Forums approved operating systems?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Trisquel GNU/Linux

TempleOS.

MS-DOS

came to post this.

Plan 9 from Bell Labs.

TempleOS

windows 10

Debian

I'm using the one the penguins holding.

Very good

Windows XP

Solus Linux.

Arch

How about an OS that works with games and applications? Linux will always be shit. Besides, the best version of UNIX was and is OSX.

Arch Linux or OSX if you are a filthy normie

Which OS is best for use as desktop everyday that doesnt have systemd?

Ubuntu MATE is fucking amazing.

Windows

Because I like to do shit with my computer other than fucking around with the OS

windows10

Red Star OS + TempleOS

ReactOS if you're a weaksauce

Ms Dos is the most red pilled . Anything else is playing right into jew banker hands.

>no ubuntu

WTF, did it take a fall from grace recently?

Windows. Anything else is for faggot hipsters.

If you need to keep windows around to play games just dual boot or run it in a virtual machine.

LINUX distros have come a long way over the years, most work right out of the box on just about any hardware and there's loads of support within the community, and free software to do almost anything easy to search and install.

LINUX Mint 18 works off a 2G thumb stick loads and runs faster and more stable than Windows 10 install on a SSD.

Windows Xp

Sounds like I should just keep using Windows. Great solution btw.

>ubuntu dindu nuffin X OS

I run macOS and it's pretty good--basically Linux without the autism. Most software devs run either macOS or Linux in my personal experience.

Tails

No.

the FFFFFFUCK is wrong with you?

>most work right out of the box on just about any hardware
kek
A crowning achievement to be sure

OS X

Maybe if you tip your fedora, I prefer debian

Astra linux

GENTOO

Ewww

Terminal case of autism contracted form Sup Forums memes. Ignore it

Windows 10

im using xubuntu and its comfy as fuck

RARE

tankos.weebly.com
you're welcome

xubuntu is just a really, really shitty OS X (macOS)
if you make the switch you will love it

Windows still can't achieve that on plenty of computers, you need drivers installed by the OEM to get networking and such.

It was a pain in the ass to do a clean W10 install on my laptop, I needed 4 or 5 unsigned drivers from chinese manufacturers to get everything working. And of course, no network until they're installed.

With linux, everything pretty much works out of the box as long as you stay away from linux-unfriendly hardware (which has become somewhat rare for consumer desktop computers).

Came to say exactly this
Works perfectly on a 4K/1440p dual monitor setup
I'm sick and tired of other DEs trying to slap together a half working tablet OS on a desktop

KDE 5 looked nice with diff. scaling per screen too but the default network manager doesn't play nicely with VLANs

>Windows still can't achieve that on plenty of computers, you need drivers installed by the OEM to get networking and such
This is not the case on 99% of new computers, and Win 10 now has a feature that will automatically install all of the OEM software for you automatically. The fact that a bunch of basic stuff is built into the Linux kernel is great and all, but you're exaggerating the difference here

And in practice it's still worse. All major DEs still have screen tearing with most of Intel's IGP lineup for example (which is what 99% of laptops have), and the only solution is to use obscure compositors with custom gl settings and such--things that can't be used with a modern de/wm like unity, gnome shell, etc.

This is why I use macOS--it's got all of the benefits of Linux and none of the downsides

any Linux distro without systemd

Am I a dummy if I buy a Mac?

the problem with kde is that it doesnt work well when you install it on a distro that has another default desktop environment also it has those display and graphics driver problems .

Linus Torvalds uses Fedora

Ubuntu Linux peppermint solid af.

Took an old desktop with XP that had no chance and it runs purrrdy

I use Windows 7 on my desktop for games (and because it's what I know).

Xubuntu on my laptop for work.

Windows 7, 95, or MS-DOS are the ONLY Microsoft OS's you should use. If you use Win10, you've given consent for the NSA being up your ass 24/7.

are you fucking retarded

he also has autism

Addendum: Only use Windows 7 if you remove all the spyware "security updates". You can't remove them in Windows 10.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Main_Page

screen tearing is the primary reason I won't use linux. am too lazy to fix it. kubuntu is good though they have a compositor built in

Fuck off Kevin

This. Anyone who says otherwise is a CIA nigger

windows 7 or girls will laugh at you

>screen tearing is the primary reason I won't use linux. am too lazy to fix it. kubuntu is good though they have a compositor built in
It's screen tearing as well as a million other little niggles. The spergs ITT would have people believe that Linux is god's gift to computing, and it is indeed a great OS, but the notion that it's good for actual day-to-day use in a general sense for most people is laughable. Maybe if you have a custom setup at a workstation running Ubuntu or something, then you can argue that Linux is great, but for regular people with a job and responsibilities other than tinkering with the color and arrangement of their menu panels, Linux is a mess.

I run Linux on my servers, I run it on my HTPC, and I run it on my toaster. But macOS is where it's at for machines that I will be using for actual work

nice try

Windows ME

WINDOWS 10

Google Ultron by far

openSUSE ,great distro, with great stability
also qt logo

OS/2

No its not you retard

...on a macbook

how autistic can he be?

I'm not saying it's perfect, and yes some hardware (I don't know about intel igp) have sub-par drivers (then again the windows driver for intel igp is also shitty, so it doesn't seem to be linux-specific to me), but it "works".

As for the automatic install of OEM software, how is it possible when you don't have a working network in the first place? That's exactly what happened to me. Wifi card needed a driver, there's no wired network card, no optical drive.
I'll admit it was a intel atom-based chinese netbook, which is pretty much the worst-case scenario when it comes to drivers, but still.

Comparing this particular aspect with macOS is unfair, it's pretty much a hardware-specific OS. it's like saying a android phone (running a modified linux kernel) works out of the box. Of course it does, because the OS is hardware-specific, but android is still a hot mess when it comes to drivers and hardware support (or rather, phone manufacturers are a bunch of crooks violating GPL).

True. But I think KDE 5 is more modular. With Linux the open source driver is simply much better and doesn't cause issues. AMD/Intel plays very well. I've smoked a Nvidia card before on Linux so I stay away from them

This, I can't believe it hasn't gotten more traction. It's rock-solid and everything works out of the box from the get-go.

>then again the windows driver for intel igp is also shitty
no it's not, it works perfectly and there is zero screen tearing on Windows whatsoever. Windows is an excellent end-user experience from a smoothness standpoint

Linux is pure garbage in this regard, there is not a single good DE/wm except for maybe custom tiling wm setups and other things that only people with no job/family have time to bother with

>how is it possible when you don't have a working network in the first place?
Unless you have a computer from 2004 running a weird chipset, this simply never happens

>I'll admit it was a intel atom-based chinese netbook, which is pretty much the worst-case scenario when it comes to drivers, but still.
lol

What ever happened to Windows 8 and 9 ?

I like green stuff, so I use SuSE

Is Mint Sup Forums approved OS?

when i buy an amd machine ill try kubuntu desu
windows 8 died pretty fast and for windows 9 there were coding problems with its name so they just skipped to 10

Sup Forums seems to promote autistic distros like arch and gentoo that takes all weekend to compile and install a simple package, and when you update pic related

An copy of redstar Linux that I smuggled out myself

Linus always was a sellout.
Linux should really be named Gnunix. That would do it more justice.

it's manufactured in 2016, and both the intel igp and broadcomm wifi card gave me trouble

So, no, the intel igp experience on windows is not smooth.

only gentoo

Arch Anywhere is a nice way to install Arch but the distro sucks. Only good if you want to waste more time compiling/setting up your setup than doing actual work. Same with Gentoo

Windows 8.1 if you are into gaming.

That fell from grace years ago. Gentoo or fuck off

There's a lot of Linux autists on here. Have fun fidgiting around to install anything worthwhile and you say security reasons but desu i bet you dont even connect to a vpn thtough ur computer or phone. Just get windows or osx

I worked for "Apple" doing tech support for Macs and I can confirm that most Mac users are dumb. Most of them. You get a lot of older folks who use a Mac because "it just works! :^)". But then you get a lot of professionals, photographers, graphic designers, etc, who use Mac for the software. But there is nothing you can do on a Mac that you can't do a Windows machine.

If you can afford it, go for it. But be prepared for headache if you ever want to upgrade or plug anything into it. Some devices just don't have drivers available for Mac. Personally, if I could afford a Mac, I would just put the money into a Windows machine. More power for less money. And if you REALLY want to try out OSX, you might be able to do a Hackintosh, depending on your CPU.

>atom-based chinese netbook
completely confirms what I was saying above
you got some garbage laptop, meanwhile you're pointing out the logical flaws in my argument

cmon man, be reasonable here

also I have no idea what you're talking about wrt intel's igp not being smooth, but then again you are on a CHINESE ATOM NETBOOK, who knows what you're even running, probably some tiny SoC from 2011 designed for embedded computers

>chinks stuff this into a laptop-like object
>wow Windows really sucks lol
>Linux master race

Can't spell Windows 10 without NSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Terry Davis is a batshit insane genius. I love him.

OS X, the OS for white people.
It's what Trump uses.

nobody buys Mac Pros user
any non-pleb using a Mac is either using an iMac or a rMBP
"dumb people" just describes the average person who doesn't give a shit about computers and wants Facebook beamed into their brain--you can levy that complaint against any popular computer brand which is known for being trouble-free

>security reasons
Not only. Also ergonomics, performance, programming. I can't use Windows anymore, it drives me crazy.

Arch is a good distro if you are smart enough to handle it.

>vpn
What about locally stored pics/documents/pgp/ssh keys? Most data is using SSL anyway and most probably transit providers for most VPN companies are tracking you as well.

Professional in the entertainment industry here, we buy shit loads of them. They're server grade hardware in a compact desktop and are worth every cent.

I don't habeeb you, you can get the same thing for 1/2 price if you go Windows

Does the small footprint even matter?