Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory...

>Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

>They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

>So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.

Is Sam Vimes better than Superman?

Attached: Samuel-Vimes-Discworld-Pratchett-early.jpg (500x790, 66K)

No.

He's a better version of Punisher. He's sick of the system, but he doesn't quite break it completely. Instead he inadvertedly builds the system up to how 'it should be', by holding people accountable for their bullshit, no matter who they are.

>Riding onto a battlefield and arresting the leaders of two opposing armies for 'Intention to cause an affray'
>Arrests a dragon for property damage
>Arrests a king of golems and vampire for treason
>Uncovers a conspiracy to destroy evidence of a secret peace treaty and suicide pact
>Inadvertedly sets all the movers and players for social progress into action, via sheer stubborness
>Brings down a conspiracy to send Uberwald into chaos
> Blows up anyone who won't stand down or stop trying to kill watch officers, or beats them until they're arrestable by default
>Arrests slave traders, and ushers in freedom for an entire race over the course of a week
>Protagonist of the best damn time travel book I have ever read
>Accepts dwarves, trolls, werewolves, vampires, kings , spies and others onto the watch if they want to make a difference, despite the fact that he dislikes all of these groups
>Judges each guard by their individual characteristics
>Despite all these characteristics, triggers more social change than Rosa parks sitting at the front of a line to block tanks, and perhaps put a flower in the nozzle
>9/10 husband
>11/10 dad
>gets his B l t sandwich

He's Pratchett's greatest character.

Vimes himself likes to gloat and put off killing a man because he thinks he's a fundamentally bad person, one who just happens to be in a position of authority which he can't allow himself to abuse. Carrot is the kind of pure hearted hero out of a story book who will kill someone in a second, that was the entire point of that whole speech you brought up just to have another "Should Superman kill people?" thread. And it's worth noting Carrot himself does creep people out with that genuinely altruistic unselfish behavior. He's not unlike Galahad in The Once and Future King, a person so genuinely pure and lawful good he scares the shit out of normal people or creeps them out.

As excuses for a Discworld thread go this is about the shittiest I've ever seen OP. You could've brought up the graphic novels or the old Cosgrove Hall cartoons of Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters. But no, you plumped for Watch-Man of Murder. I bet you use five exclamation marks too you utter cunt.

That's bullshit. This has nothing to do with good or evil.
>a petty man would gloat
>a narcissist would boast
>a weak willed man would try to justify it
>a kind man would hesitate
And yes, both a good and an evil man can have one of those character flaws.

You really understand just how fantastic Hubworld is after you grow up: all of the immigrants in Ankh-Morpork actually contribute to it's prosperity instead of draining it's resources and committing a disproportionate amount of crimes.

>Is Sam Vimes better than Superman?
That would be Carrot, I mean the only thing he is missing is super powers. Guy has charisma out the ass

Was she too attractive, Sup Forums?
>tfw no witch gf

Attached: garlick.jpg (474x360, 23K)

spbp

When is the god damn Watch TV series coming out!?

>And it's worth noting Carrot himself does creep people out with that genuinely altruistic unselfish behavior
And yet they still like him and do what he says. Some of my favorite parts of the Guards books is Vimes and Angua describing how people react to Carrot.
>“Some people have inspired whole countries to great deeds because of the power of their vision. And so could he. Not because he dreams about marching hordes, or world domination, or an empire of a thousand years. Just because he thinks that everyone’s really decent underneath and would get along just fine if only they made the effort, and he believes that so strongly it burns like a flame which is bigger than he is. He’s got a dream and we’re all part of it, so that it shapes the world around him. And the weird thing is that no one wants to disappoint him. It’d be like kicking the biggest puppy in the universe. It’s a kind of magic.”

Carrot IS a creep. The effect he has on people is absolutely unnatural. It's like he triggers some sort of subservient DNA in them trough his king's blood. If Vimes had a lick of sense he'd kill or at least sterilize the fucker instead of letting a legacy that can enslave the city in a blink of an eye survive.

She's probably fine looking, most of magrat's appearance was described by the character herself and clearly has self esteme issues.

The thing that makes Carrot have that effect on people is also the reason he would never do that. In fact if he was the kind of person to do that it would not work, part of it is that he genuinely sees everyone as being his equal and it makes them like him.

Hey what's the difference between Terry Pratchett and Pepperidge Farms?
Pepperidge Farms remembers
What do Terry Pratchett and Pepperidge Farms have in common?
they aren't fucking Sup Forums

Just finished going through Men At Arms again and Carrot even says to paraphrase
>People shouldn't just do things because I'M the one telling them
>They should do things because they're right and they want to
>So that's why I think I shouldn't be in command sir

He's aware of who and what he is, but he just wants to be a good man, help people, and not let down Vimes who he idolizes

As one of the early books says, a horde of barbarians entering Ankh-Morpork would eventually get fleeced, not own their horses and weapons anymore, find themselves with an exotic neighborhood and their own cultural restaurants.

If you want to be Sup Forums about it, the thing is that those immigrants get assimilated by cultural force. Like the asians, italians, irish and the non-nigger african americans (to misquote Chris Rock) in America.
The problem begins when the immigrants are told they don't have to integrate and assimilate. That we owe them rights and privileges and they don't owe us anything in thanks but votes for certain candidates. That's when they go back to acting like they're in third world shitholes.

Nice headcanon, negro. How exactly does that make people that barely know him obey him as well?

>they aren't fucking Sup Forums
There are two cartoon movies and a graphic novel, you wanna-be janitor, you uncultured newfag swine.

>You could've brought up the graphic novels
I've always wanted an excuse to dump this but unfortunately I was just about to go to bed.

Attached: Guards Guards - 000fc [FireBad].jpg (1400x2148, 849K)

No one knows, if they did they would not think it was some sort of magic.

Nah. It's like his sword. There's nothing magic about it. But on the disc, that is super fucking weird because magic is seeped into everything by matter of fact. In the same way, carrot is the only person genuinely optimistic and unselfish when most people grew up sarcastic bitter cynics just to cope

There's been multiple comic and cartoon adaptations of the books user.

Attached: MortGN.jpg (312x475, 100K)

>>So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.
I know this is fictional and it reads well, but holy crap, that's a foolish way of looking at the world. Evil people will torture you to death as slowly as they can. Good people won't capture you in the first place. It's the Lawful Neutral people who kill immediately when ordered.

You're very smart, user.

I made the mistake of imagining how a greentext post on Sup Forums would play out in real life given what I know from my job. Apologies and please disregard.

Will the Watch series on BBC be good? Who should play Vimes?

Philip Glennister if he lost like thirty pounds and looked like a scrawny recovering alcoholic. Prachett's own personal choice would have been a young Pete Postlethwaite.

>Terry Pratchett's Mort
He sure is!

Lawful Neutral people would state the crimes you have commited for you to deserve death.

Ralph Finnes for Vimes and John Cena for Carrot

I could see that.

Go to /tg/. Ask them what you can be capable of with a high enough Charisma stat.

I want it to be good but there have been so few good Discworld adaptions. Sometimes I think a lot of what makes the books good would be pretty difficult to film. Take Vimes for example, a lot of what I find interesting about him is what goes on in his head and I can't really see the show giving long inner monologues

You could do them in a film noir style adaptation. Like that Discworld Noir game.

Sam Vimes vs. Superman when?

fpbp

Shepherds crown was unnecessarily climactic. The final battle felt undeserved. The funeral was good though

He might be too old by now, but Richard E Grant would work.

Terry stop.