All these months, I've seen so many anons board the Samurai Jack hate train -- Everyone of them...

All these months, I've seen so many anons board the Samurai Jack hate train -- Everyone of them. Season 5's evil has taken everything we ever...Loved about the show.

Attached: sadjack.jpg (556x649, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/rfDZy9b
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

tons of shows have shitty endings, OP. You get used to it, especially after watching a lot of anime. The ending may have sucked, but Season 5 was still completely worth it for Scaramouche and that rave scene

Most of them don't make you wait 15 years for the ending tho

The ending makes no sense, killing Aku in the past would prevent Ashi from being born in the future thus she couldn't have sent Jack back to the past to kill Aku.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Even if the ending sucked, I still think Samurai Jack is a landmark in Western Animation and the medium as a whole.

Attached: 1464297105590.jpg (1000x1017, 246K)

Honestly I didn't mind it.
Sure, it wasn't what I imagined it would be, but nothing ever can live up to the hype it can generate. Way I see it, its better to have a disappointing ending that at least finishes it, than never have an ending at all.

> arguing retrocasuality in a time travel scenario in a cartoon

ok there buddy

Most of Season 5 was pretty solid, even the start of the finale was decent... it's just that the last 10 minutes ended the show on a really sour note.

The ending aside, I do believe an argument or a couple thousand more can be made about shoehorning a last-minute romantic interest into a series that never needed one being a pretty uninspired (and ultimately failed, for the most part) attempt to create meaningful drama. It being the most prominent story arc doesn't help either.

>rave scene
>no mention of the general awesomeness of everything else in the first three episodes

you confuse me

You'd rather have no ending than a slightly disappointing one? Fuck off, it wasn't THAT bad.

Honestly it was fine. The end wasn't spectacular but I liked it well enough. The rest of the season was pretty great.

The ending was good enough for me. The forced tragedy of Ashee was a bit too much, but it's okay. The love for Ashee was the final sacrifice Jack made. In the end, it was worthy it. A lot of people was saved, the world has its beauty back, and your mother will die if you don't reply to this post.

Honestly, the ending was fine. Oh-so ronrey samurai warrior is the bitter sweet ending I was expecting.
I'm just bummed we never got to see Jack win/go back in time as King Jack. I wanted the gate keeper's vision to come true so bad.

Attached: JackTheWarrior-King2.jpg (1189x890, 112K)

>You'd rather have no ending than a slightly disappointing one?
Not him but yes. Also it wasn't "slightly" disappointing, the more you think about it the worse it becomes.

>would rather just have the fucking cliffhanger from a decade and a half ago
Justify yourself.

I'm cool with the ending we got, but honestly before season 5 started/whenever I'd rewatch the series, I'd save for last. Just because it ended with the promise that someday, Jack'll finally triumph. That's good enough for a show that had such an episodic structure to begin with

The imagination of what could have been is always more interesting than the results, this is true for a lot of shows where hiatuses are prominent. You have more time to think about the show so when the show fails to meet those expectations you're obviously gonna be disappointed.

But of course this isn't fair, so I try to have realistic expectations of what a show can offer. But even then, even then season 5 feels disappointing. Nothing can excuse the drastic change of tone after episode 3, the atrocious pacing or the stupid decisions made during the final episode, at that point I'd rather have good memories of a show that stayed good until its cancellation than have an ending that ruins those memories of the show. This is why every Samurai Jack thread nowadays focuses on the shitshow that was season 5 instead of praising the show as a whole like the old times, not everyone can forget or forgive the ending.

I think you're correct in some assumptions but you're overreacting. The season was pretty solid and has one of the bests episodes of the entire series. The change of pace after episode 3 is real, but it is still in tone with the series as a whole.

I know it's somewhat disappointing because the first 3 episodes is just incredible and probably one of the best piece of animation in our recent history, and will be remembered in years to come.

But everything was good as well.

My only gripe was that they didn't give more time to show Jack's past get back on its feet. It's almost like they just shrugged off Aku's domain like dandruff and set up the wedding in a weekend's time.

Genndy Tartakovsky is an artist. The man has a great animator, he's got a great sense of aesthetics and ambiance and visials.
But he's a completely shit writer.
Samurai Jack as good because it was ultimately light as fuck on story and got by on its style rather than any narrative substance.
Season 5 tried to do a story, and in doing so showed exactly how writer and artist are separate jobs that require separate skills.

Taken as a whole they did not do enough to show off the past. Not its takeover, its rebuilding, or why the audience should be so attached to it beyond it being in the theme song or Jack being from there.

Eh, I'm just happy for having some closure.

>Jack having never killed anyone before the bitches.

Eh, they did enough with the episode when Jack found his kingdom's ruins. But still, the finale could have used at least another minute or two to show the past being restored and Jack and Ashi seeing the world as it was "meant" to be without Aku's influence.

And also give us something more conclusive about whether the future was nuked entirely or if timey wimey bullshittery occurred and everyone was still there but Aku just poofed out of existence or whatever.

Attached: Samurai Jack - JACK'S BACK.png (1062x3148, 2.87M)

I don't think it's enough. The entire series was Jack rebuilding the future one act of kindness at a time and then Season 5 forces us through an entire episode of Ashi seeing how many lives Jack touched and improved over that time, The future is where the series takes place, it's where every memorable character is. If you want to ask the audience to give that all up for the past when all we have of it is the occasional flashback, you need to give them something more as to why it's worth it.

>time travel is stupid
Good job inventing hot water, user.

Nah, fuck that. The original 4 season had its up and rare downs, and season 5, while not perfect and suffering from an evident decline in quality, is still memorable and entertaining from beginning to end. Its conclusion is sloppy as hell, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

but jack can't cry about something that never existed because HE WONT REMEMBER!

>rave scene
Old school rave episode will always be superior imo. Other than that, Season 5 could've been as followed:

A: Longer. Maybe 5 more episodes or make the 10 episodes an hour long in OVA fashion

B: Better paced. I will agree some parts felt rushed

And the big one C: NOT HAVING A FUCKING SERIES RETCON ENDING. And no the romance was fine, it just needed two or three episodes to expand and explore it. Granted the first half of episode 9 had that potential to show character development as well as flushing out the relationship but it still could've used a few episodes to do so.

All in all, Season 5 was just meh. Ashi DID NOT ruin it, Genndy's rushed writing did.

Didn't help he only got 10 episodes. But an OVA can be done with less with a good writer.

OR you can just pretend season 5 is not canon and enjoy the good stuff.
SJ was always about journey, not destination anyway.

I thought the comic was a good ending.

ITT: Anons butthurt about Episodes 1-3 being kino, but not the rest of the season.

There are basically two ways to interpret Samurai Jack: Jack fights for The Past or Jack fights for The Future. You can make arguments either way, but ultimately the thematic through-line of the series, and the wants and is either Jack trying to redeem himself and make sacrifices to undo his failure in The Past, or Jack trying to mourn and move on from The Past and build a better Future, both of which have a very obvious endings - Jack goes back to The Past and undoes The Future that is Aku or Jack stays and liberates The Future. If he goes back to The Past, you need a scene at the end where we get a glimpse of the better, brighter Future that Jack sacrificed everything for. If he stays and fights for The Future, you need a montage of Jack and his friends rebuilding the world and ridding it of Aku's corruption.

The point is that either way you do it just ending the story isn't enough, you need something to bring thematic closure and catharsis to the story as well, and we didn't get that.

Don't you start with the time travel shit.

Attached: 24mWbrn.jpg (29x61, 12K)

>kino
Kill yourself.

10 episodes would have been enough, there was a LOT of wasted time and opportunity in the second half of season five. Episode 6 wastes a quarter of its runtime on the fucking Scaramouche subplot and Episode 8 is almost a complete waste plot-wise.

Fuck you, 8 was gr8 for all the salt it produced.

Surprised they just didn't add the romance hints in-between the episodes instead of making one episode about it.

Remember that time everyone in this thread got pissed off when Rick & Morty was on fucking loop in April Fools?

Attached: 1520999666818.gif (400x300, 423K)

I was laughing all night and the rest day thinking about it.

I don't mind them building up the romance, that's fine, whatever, my problem is them doing it in an episode that does absolutely NOTHING to advance the plot. You could have easily combined the quest for the sword with the building romance from episodes seven and eight into a two-parter where they go off to find the sword and defeat the rest of the Aku cult, advancing the plot and developing their relationship along the way instead of having the story come to a dead fucking stop.

Fuck you man, I'm still pissed about that. I've got an important meeting later and I can't get all fucking mad and worked up right now.

>or why the audience should be so attached to it
I dont see why the audience should be "atached" to it. The entire point is making a BETTER WORLD.

Trying to argue that a universe where Aku did atrocities for thousand years is better than the alternative is not needed. You just need to see said atrocities.

Saying "of course it would be better" isn't the same as actually showing it.

Again, GENNDY CAN'T WRITE ROMANCE. It takes subtlety and patience for a good and believable romance. Not many writers can do it.

We were shouw countless atrocities made by Aku. Those didnt happened anymore.

The Viking King that lived on Jacks time for example, wont have to spend an eternity in a block of crystal and become a giant lava monster.

Aku wont destroy the planet of multiple alien species, like the marine guys that appear on the secodn episode, and so on.

>All these months, I've seen so many anons board the Samurai Jack hate train
>Implying I wasn't aboard it by episode 5 of the new season
Ashi pretty much ruined the entire season 5 for me, she was just so fucking forced in.
Episodes one through three were amazing, the same kind of quality from the original show with wacky bounty hunters, amazing style and a darker stuff with the Aku cult.
Jack was fucking back.
Then episode 4 comes along and it's all fucking downhill from there with Ashi doing a complete 180 on everything she was taught to believe in like a day, awkward Jack romance after damn 50 years despite the OG doing something better despite it all being Aku trolling the shit outta Jack
Somehow that Episode's romance felt less rushed than Ashi and Jack.
Too little Aku
An entire episode starring Ashi and the most blatant in your face service to the fans I've seen
And the fights, fucking hell the fights became so retarded after episode 3.
Honestly, by the end Ashi had hijacked the damn thing so much I could only laugh at the "final battle" "Ashi you have Aku's powers!" "I do!" moment
Then that fucking "twist" could be seen from Alpha Centauri for anyone with even two brain cells to rub together.
The entire ending was fucking garbage.

Point is, Ashi was a mistake, most of the show's problems stem from her getting shoved into our faces, and I believe that if Genndy wasn't such a fucking retard that thought forcing a romance plot into a story heavy 10 episode season was a good idea it wouldn't have been so bad.

Attached: 1494999947023.png (1519x868, 563K)

The final fight with Aku had so much potential to be good, but after Episode 3 all the 'fights' were shit.

You already had your Aku fight in season 1

They should've at least reanimated it from the beginning to the end.

The cartoon is the one that opened the can of worms.
pretty much everybody was okay with cartoon logic of time travel until genndy chose to center the ending around said logics tragic consequences.
People are more likely to accept bullshit if it leads to a happy end, whereas if a tragic end is because of ridiculous unbelievable logic, its harder to swallow.

If they didn't push ashi as a character and love interest so hard it would have been good but they did that for "muh bittersweet waifu ending"

Fuck you, Genndy, don't make excuses.

I think the ending was actually what gave S5 true maturity. If Jack decided to stay in the future, it would be just another "never ever sacrifice anything for potential greater good" story, which we have IN SPADES, including some episodes from the original show.

I still think season 5 overall was a fun time, it just tripped RIGHT at the finish line and the ending itself sucked horribly. But I still had a lot of fun watching the rest of the season. It had its problems, but it's not like the rest of the series was flawless either.

What grinds my gears is people saying jack should have stayed in the future. If aku dies when he's already dominated the Galaxy the whole reach of the domain would be in disarray which means a lot of people will die. It was better for him to go back and hit the reset button.

Fuck off faggot, the ending was horrible.

If you liked it, you actively hate Samurai Jack., or you are a fucking stupid person.

Let me guess you're a future fag?

My ideal ending would've been Jack taking out Aku in the future, but once Aku dies, the effects of time travel finally catch up with Jack. So as Jack's dying, he gives Ashi his sword, and Ashi takes up his role of making the world a better place, protecting people from the evil that lingers after Aku's defeat.

Jack meets up with his family in the afterlife, apologizing or not being able to save them, but they all bow to him, having seen all of the things Jack's done.

I dunno, maybe a bit too predictable, but I feel like it would've been a nice way to wrap things up.

What the fuck is a future fag?

If you focus too hard on the past then you become blind to the future. Jack knew this.

Thing is, we don't know exactly for sure if the future is gone or not. Ashi may disappear, but for all we know the future is still there and every trace of Aku just fucked off from existence because reasons. And from what has been seen, Genndy is probably never going to say for the sake of letting people be satisfied with how they feel the timey wimey shit works.

Jack at least deserved keeping Ashi as his reward. A line of holy warriors would've been the Gods' trump card.

>Jack kills Aku in the future
>Goes back to the past
>Kills Aku in the past
>Stays in the past
>Final shot is the future being rebuild, free from Aku

Objectively best ending and the one we got is a spit in the face.

I liked it, I don't see what the problem with it was.
Only thing that constantly is stuck in my mind is that the guardian got BTFO off screen although I did expect it.

I feel like it just needed ONE more episode. Hell, I would've been begrudgingly okay with the ending if it was paced better. The fact that it was so rushed is what killed it for me.

Mine would have been Ashi never being a thing and Jack, the Scotsman and an army of the people Jack helped, fighting Aku, kinda like what we got, but the difference being that during the showdown there would be no power of love bullshit or Ashi bullshit, Jack would instead 1v1 Aku.
During the fight Jack would trick Aku, maybe give Aku false security by pretending to lose or not have his sword, Aku being evil, would gloat and banter then Jack would bait him into opening a portal in time since the Shogun of sorrow must still be strong enough to pull it off, or maybe he'd like to show their past selves his success.
He falls for it and Jack takes his chance and goes through the portal.
Cue Aku realizing he just fucked up badly.
Back in the past, Aku just finished sending Jack into the future, he's still recovering and wondering what the hell was up with that mortal, then a new portal opens up behind him, Jack flying out of it.
Aku turns around "What!? H-HOW DID YOU RETURN!?"
Wide shot of Jack closing the gap on the weakened Aku
Close up of Jack's determined face as he swings his sword, cutting the screen as it goes
The screen transitions seamlessly to pic while the the sound effect plays, taking the entire show full circle.
Roll credits with still images of Jack returning home side by side with images of a future without Aku and finish it with a shot of Jack's family shrine, way into the future, still well kept.

Attached: Samurai Jack.jpg (512x384, 19K)

I have akus powers!
*Makes a portal*

Attached: 28959007_343718849452173_5331691019699947093_n.jpg (481x481, 21K)

>I liked it, I don't see what the problem with it was.
Then you are a retard, plain and simple.

It ended fine, he wasn't supposed to be happy and it was somewhat implied he'd try to get his waifu back in a journey thus doubling down on his wandering samurai thing

And you're an asshole. user might have an easier time liking things, but he'll still never like you.

>It ended fine
No

Good, I wouldn't want to be liked by such a retarded asshole.

She was the best Sup Forums

Attached: 1497063822568.png (1200x1200, 462K)

Truth bomb right here.

I'd have been fine with a hokey descendent of Jack and a reborn Ashi meeting in a revised future. Still, there was something to be enjoyed about the bittersweet ending, even if it's not for everyone. Genndy might not be able to write romance for squat (at least in Jack's case, who knows how it all would have panned out in SBT), but he still does those dialogue-less scenes pretty well.

If you want to shitpost about /sj/ theres a discord here user

discord.gg/rfDZy9b

I ain't clicking that shit nigga

future fags are pathetic. The goal always was to return to the past.

Attached: Ashi2.jpg (1020x1044, 395K)

All fights with Aku were entirely one sided on either Jack or Aku's favor; the only fair fight they've ever had was on their first encounter and even then it wad clear that Jack held the upper hand.

I'd have been more ok with the ending we god had they not devoted an entire episode to highlight the difference that Jack had made in the world, despite Aku's evil influence on it, and hoisting up the idea that hope was not lost for the timeline.

Attached: no.jpg (540x303, 43K)

The season seems confused. It's so unnatural that I firmly believe that sending Jack to the past was a last minute decision out of fear of people calling them out for not fulfilling the show's main goal. And this is coming from someone who liked the finale okay; I would have been fine with either option, although I do lean more towards staying in the future.

good decision. Its complete ass

Yes

Attached: 1491109316790.png (960x720, 626K)

>RUBA RUBA DUB DUB, SAM-OO-RAIIIIIIIIII

Would Season 5 been better had Aaron Springer been involved?

Thanks user I love this image

I'm still fucking mad user, even a year later.

kek

>Mwf I asked if we can do this and it got done

Attached: 92b.gif (400x296, 443K)

I love this outfit, got more?

Honestly, I didn't give a fuck about the ending because I never gave a fuck about the story in S1-4. Like, I can't believe people were this invested in it, I got to see Jack kill shit finally and have some cool fights with some decent fanservice. Guess I was watching for the wrong reasons.

Who says Jack isn't going to fuck some other chick? He's pretty hot, I'm sure it would't be hard.