Of all female Marvel characters to pick from...

Of all female Marvel characters to pick from, why did Disney go with Black Widow as the main female character in the MCU?

Attached: black-widow.jpg (900x600, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

movieline.com/2009/07/27/scarjo-iron-man/
movieline.com/2009/07/why-didnt-scarlett-johansson-play-this-bald-bisexual-thor-violating-superheroine.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Perlmutter wouldn't let them do a Captain Marvel movie, they didn't have the X-Men, and she was the only girl that showed up in The Avengers.

Because Marvel has basically no female characters

Because it would be weird if wasp was in before antman and who else could they use?

why not? the only other reasonable picks are
>shulk
hulk fills the role already of big bruiser.
>wasp
good pick but they probably didnt want to waste time with an antman movie
>wanda
already was hard fitting her in the mcu in aou, would have been a nightmare in the 2012 flick
>agent 13
would have made some sense but she's more of a shield agent, not really avengers
>carol
you'd have to introduce the skrull too early on. for such a big threat they need a big plotline, which thanos pretty much took over
>jessica
wouldn't have been a terrible choice but clashes too much with the comics

all the rest were either out of warner bros hands at the time or are too obscure. natasha was perfect

Because she was already in Iron Man 2 and Wright was fucking with Hank and Jan.

They should have just put Hank and Jan in Avengers in place of Hawkeye and Black Widow.

>why
Perlmutter. It's always Perlmutter.

>they probably didnt want to waste time with an antman movie

An Ant-Man movie was planned before Iron Man 1 came out.

it's logical. since avengers was fury's idea, there'd naturally be some shield members. emh and the ultimate avengers movies already feature her.

Because no one like Nu-Carol

I know. I'm just saying they probably wanted to get the avengers movie out quickly especially since the antman timetable was all over the place and edgar wright barely even wanted to work on the film

I agree, but I do like Hawkeye. Wish he wasn't such a flat character in the MCU

A muggle who does flips and high kicks is easier to film than a woman with superpowers.

Because she was the easiest to integrate without needing a full explanation.

Because Black Widow got introduced in Iron Man 2, has film rights owned by Marvel outright, doesn't need to be saved for a different project (ie Captain Marvel for a solo film), and she doesn't require much special effects, so you have an idea about her already.

It was Edgar Wright's fault why Hank and Jan never made it to Avengers

This, also people conveniently forget that Avengers was a risky film at the time since they'd never done a super-team film before.

>no super-team films before
>all the x-men and f4 movies never existed

i like the world you've created in your head

I think Widow's cool

Funny.

She was in Iron Man 2 BECAUSE she was going to be in Avengers

Easy cleavage. Nuff said.

The story goes like this

They wanted to include black widow in IM2. As a way of growing and establishing SHIELD and playing off the Nick Fury after credits.

Whedon when working on Avengers had no idea if he'd get to use Black Widow. ScarJo was signed to iron man movies, they had to re-do her contract and they wanted her to sign on for 5 more movies across multiple franchises and some such. She did NOT accept initially so they looked into having Wasp appear in Avengers. As Wasp was not to appear in Wrights version of Ant-man.

The deal to get ScarJo went through, the idea of using Wasp was let go. So BW became the girl in Avengers. And now, here we are.

All the Marvel women people care about are X-Men

She was top of the list of the characters left, and most appropriate to use since they were featuring SHIELD heavily.

I want a Shulk movie that is just a court room drama. Like "And Justice for All" but a giant green women except Robert Di Niro.

Because the second (and most famous) Avengers team featured her for a very long time.

The second team retained Cap, but took on Hawkeye, Black Widow, and the twins. Because Marvel didn't have sole access to the twins they decided not to use them (probably as much because at that time, MCU movies needed to explain where powers came from, not just show them fully formed - so they would have been poor choices for the SHIELD-based team).

Hawkeye and Black Widow however need very little explanation, especially as SHIELD was already established: they're spies. End of story.

The first team - Wasp, Hulk, Ant-Man, Iron Man, Thor and eventually Cap (after they rescued him from the ice, when a chain of events caused by Loki goading the Hulk led them there) - was not available for the first movie because the Ant-Man movie was going nowhere, due to director problems; if it had been ready for phase 1, the first group movie would also have featured some version of those characters as part of the team.

However, as it was known they would be absent, Black Widow and Hawkeye (already established as intelligence operatives, which is basically their pre-Avengers backstory anyway) were subbed instead. Thus no need for a whole separate phase 1 movie about Magneto's kids to explain their powers that FOX would totally have shit all over with vexatious suits/unlicensed tie-ins (even when Marvel eventually announced Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch for Age of Ultron, FOX suddenly cast and wrote in their own Quicksilver to try and catch some oral hypes), no need to explain Hawkeye and Widow as former Iron Man rogues, and no need to wait for Ant-Man to be never fucking released because god damn dude, stick to a schedule or quit.

Since Phase 1 already established that Cap was rescued from the ice by SHIELD, not the Avengers, the major deviation from the founding story was already made long before it became apparent that Ant-Man and Wasp would not be ready in time for the team-up.

They're wanking themselves with Captain Marvel and so far Marvel Studios hasn't had a flop and with Wonder Woman being well received they think this will do good.

Also their one good female character is already headlining her movie with Ant-Man and the rest are meh.

So they were scrapping the shit barrel and decided to do a Widow movie.

Blame Wright, Whedon was pushing for them.

because she and hawkguy were already working with Fury.

Attached: 1512764739086.png (1280x720, 1.19M)

Widow wasn't part of the Kooky Quartet

>Feige had all of the MCU planned before making Iron M-

movieline.com/2009/07/27/scarjo-iron-man/

According to Johansson, a year prior to the start of pre-production on Iron Man 2, the actress met with Jon Favreau and Marvel's Kevin Feige to discuss characters in the Marvel universe that might be a good cinematic fit for her. At that point, the background of Black Widow was a mystery to Johansson, but she admitted, "I was familiar with the character in that I'd researched all these superheroines."

I asked which ones had she been discussing with Favreau and Feige. "There were different characters, like Moon, and...what's her name, the Scarlet Witch?" Johansson said. "The Blonde Phantom, that's another one we talked about, perhaps, unless I'm getting it all wrong. There were a couple that I kind of, like, looked through and thought, 'OK, these are characters that maybe could work somewhere.'"

As for Moon, we're not sure who Johansson is referring to (update: we've figured it out!) -- and neither is Feige, who scuttled Johansson's assertion that she'd been discussing other heroines with him. "I think she's always been interested in doing a character like this," he told me, "but for us, we were always talking to her about doing [Black Widow]."

movieline.com/2009/07/why-didnt-scarlett-johansson-play-this-bald-bisexual-thor-violating-superheroine.php

if it makes you feel better it's scarlet witch's fault.

The Xmen films were hit and miss?
>fantastic 4
Did you get hit in the head or something? most of them were dumpsterfires.

>Black Widow
>a part of the quartet

No

Why is that user

He was hired to do Ant-man way back in either 05 or 06. Marvel let him do whatever he needed to do before starting. By the time he came back, Marvel became a powerhouse and needed him to rework the movie to fit what had happened after 10 movies.

They needed somebody to do all the sneaky recon stuff and look hot at the same time.

Attached: caplol.jpg (640x574, 271K)

they tried to get Wasp in the first Avengers movie but it couldnt work out. Black Widow essentially lucked out due to being the only female character set up prior

And who else do you think they could've used?

she's a slut

Attached: laughs in American.webm (380x332, 621K)