Is 2018 the year of the cartoon Blu-ray?

>WB releases Teen Titans (season 1)
>Nick releases Avatar: The Last Airbender
>Disney releases Gravity Falls
Seriously, what's going on that all of these series get a BD release after so long with no new physical media at all? (And what's next?)

Attached: Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png (1280x686, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tvshowsondvd.com/news/Gravity-Falls-The-Complete-Series/24081
regularshow.wikia.com/wiki/Regular_Show:_Totally_Total_Box_Set
youtube.com/watch?v=blzO8aRwOYg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All I really want at this point is the entirely of EEnE on blu ray, with some nice bonus features.

Teen Titans and Gravity Falls have been available in 1080p as web DLs for a while already.
Avatar I'm really excited about though.

BDs are expensive maybe? Corporate waiting for costs of production to significantly dip.

Blu-ray quality >>> digital releases, both in bitrate and audio (which is generally lossless on BD).
Also Teen Titans has two episodes with missing scenes in digital, so I'm waiting for S2 to come out

I think it's the sales honestly, WB dipped their toes in with Samurai Jack and that must have done pretty well.
It's definitely great news

>TT on bd

Holy shit serious?

Attached: tumblr_p0x3u1XKs71uvgeeko1_540.png (519x542, 218K)

Avatar is available in digital HD as well, it's just that it was made in SD so there are obviously complaints about the quality. Very curious to see if the Blu-ray can remedy that.

You forgot Warner is doing Batman: TAS
Also key theme is that all these things getting released have huge fanbases. So what's next is probably something else with a similar appeal.. if there was any possible way to remaster Invader Zim from the original animation files like was done with Jack and release it ahead of the movie that would probably do great.
Season one's already been out for a minute

Yeah, just looked it up.
How the fuck did I miss that

>You forgot Warner is doing Batman: TAS
No I didn't, I purposefully omitted it. It comes from a different era and has a correspondingly much larger fanbase, so I don't need to remind anyone.

No, the bluray of that is literally the same.

Attached: Avatar.The.Last.Airbender.S01E01.The.Boy.in.the.Iceberg.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DD+2.0.H.264-CtrlHD.mkv_sn (1920x1080, 3.28M)

The BD release for Titans season 1 is fucking worthless. The only benefit is better audio.

The visuals aren't worth upgrading, and the episodes are out of order, which is a weird oversight.

It's not out yet so no way you would know for sure, it's pretty likely though

The Blu-ray hasn't been released yet, shitposter.

And Bryke say it's been remastered properly this time. Obviously time will tell, but for now STFU.

Worthless compared to what exactly? Your illegally de-DRMed copy of the digital release, that's also missing 2 minutes of footage in episode 13?
Somehow I think most people would prefer an actual physical disc that doesn't require them to jump through hoops, or sign up for an obscure-as-fuck site to download.

And the episodes seem out of order because they're following the TV broadcast order instead. I'd prefer the original one too, but your statement there is idiotic.

The DVD you fucking moron. Which is currently the better option

>cropped 4:3 badly encoded interlaced standard def
>better than true 16:9 HD
>just because of some thrown-together extras
>ever
you're dumb

>the absolute fucking state of Sup Forums

>True 16:9 HD

Oh, you don't own the BD. My bad, I thought you know what you were talking about.

The show was produced in widescreen HD (same with all DC shows since 2002) though
I think you are confused about which one of us has no idea what they're talking about

Bought season 1 a while ago, it's being delivered on Thursday. I'll post screen grabs and prove it's way better than the dvd even with the episode problem

The extras are actually identical to the DVD release's, so dumbass user here doesn't even have that.
It's 16:9 HD, exactly as the show was originally produced. You're lying through your teeth now.

Need more pre-2000s WB stuff
Too much of their stuff is dvd only

I'd like Batman Beyond on BD

How about they release the stuff that was actually made in digital HD first, like Duck Dodgers and The Batman? Shows from the analog era won't benefit nearly as much from a Blu-ray release...

Why not all of it

Why don't they just put their whole catalog up for streaming? And Nick and Disney too?

Because that's not how the market works, user.

>yay, mainstream normie shit
>Most good shows on the 80s and 90s STILL wont be released or restored in HD EVER due to most of them being mastered in tape/film prints non existing anymore/upscales/lack of interest.
>avatar's re-remaster will probably be some waifu2x with shapening options since the shit was done in SD.

>meanwhile all the shows even dating back as 1960s getting gorgeous HD restorations like Attack n1, Remi, Rose of Versailles, Mazinger Z etc.

Attached: heathcliff-catillac-cats-animation_1_f326b4a830446d56422776ed6fc4876d (1).jpg (400x318, 22K)

Not with that attitude.
But if you're trying to use actual logic, DD and The Batman aren't remotely popular enough to warrant a wide BD release, meanwhile Batman TAS, Teen Titans and Batman Beyond have an actual following that will more than cover costs of distribution.

Sorry to burst your bubble user

I'm just waiting for a Blu-Ray release of Trollhunters. I know there is a DVD release but honestly, I'd prefer a Blu-Ray.

Both of those shows are more than popular enough to cover "costs of distribution" for a company like WB that already does it all the time.
Less revenue != negative profit

And if they put it out through the Archive the only money at stake is what they put towards authoring and package design (both of which can probably be done in a day for a show that already exists as high-def digital masters), the actual manufacturing being done on-demand means each disc is fully paid for as it's being produced

That's not how the market works user.

If you wanna copy me, you gotta pay those royalties bro.

This.

WB won't make any money off of The Batman blurays tho. Yeah they can def cover cost and it would be easy, but at best we'd be looking at a limited release of 200,000 copies.

It doesn't have either the fanbase or nostalgia that other shows do.

Duck Dodgers would work though, I can see that being a slipper hit

Actually, The Batman got a lot more recognition after its run on Netflix. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a bigger fandom than Duck Dodgers now.

Also
>slipper hit

Heh, sry. On mobile.

I'd buy the first two seasons of The Batman on bluray tho that's for sure

>first two seasons
Why? You don't like Batgirl?

Oh, I thought Batgirl showed up during season 2.

Everything before Robin is fine.

Why don't you like Robin?

Also, his intro season (4) is considered the best by pretty much everyone - including myself.

Attached: heathcliff-catillac-cats-animation_1_f326b4a830446d56422776ed6fc4876d.jpg (400x269, 21K)

I just didn't like the last couple of seasons

But why? I'm really curious to know why you didn't like the most well-regarded season.

>B8

>genuinely wants to know more about another user's opinion
>bait
No you fucking idiot, it's called discussion. You know, as in the only reason for this board's very existence?

>Concern b8

Leave this board. Leave and never come back.

>Derailing a thread with autistic screeching

You too, user. Get out.

The fuck, dude?

Disney has been releasing 1080p quality HD releases of all their Disney Afternoon shows in streaming format over the past year, restoring the original production film masters. They've only had to fudge it in a few places where the material was lost, but they've actually made the effort to reanimate some of those segments or fill it with the best quality broadcast master they could find.

At least acknowledge it when you get it, dude.

>Disney releases Gravity Falls
Say what now? I haven't heard about this.

Rescue Rangers was just a color corrected waifu2x upscale tough.

If you seriously think any legit release uses waifu2x, you're even dumber than I thought.

tvshowsondvd.com/news/Gravity-Falls-The-Complete-Series/24081

Wander when?

Attached: 1465938097507.png (632x723, 319K)

in your dreams

BDs aren't expensive however a good remaster is. Also a lot of cartoons just had shit luck on DVD too I've lost count of how many shows only had the first or second season out of like five or six get a release or even worse a couple variety packs full of episodes out of order just to fit a certain theme.

> Greater percentage of homes have a Bluray capable device
> Bluray production costs get lower once Samsung/Sony lowered the licensing fees
> Also get lower with sony's potential to sell of their share of the Bluray license
> DVDs are staying mid-90's CD tier because of backward compatibility but are slowly being phased out
> Steaming services are kicking everyone's ass but also increases sales as people fear shows being removed from service

Tons of reasons but for now let's just say that you can guarantee that you will make your money back from a bluray release even if sales are lacking
See the release of Leonard Part 6 on Bluray WHY??????

>Leonard Part 6
>got put out LONG after the whole rapist thing became common knowledge
but, why

Attached: IMG_3342.png (734x735, 525K)

Leonard Part 6
A movie so bad Bill Cosby actively campaigned against it, tried to buy the right so it could never be released again then sued to have his name removed from it

I don't know, I just don't know.

>Shows from the analog era won't benefit nearly as much from a Blu-ray release...
I disagree and I'll prove it through Domon's ass.

Attached: mobile fighter cheek buster.jpg (3377x1261, 391K)

I haven't trusted Disney since their abysmal Sword in the Stone remaster.

I said nearly as much, retard.

The difference in quality is more noticeable if the content was made with HD in mind to begin with.

I wonder why SD-bluray isn't more common. I've got the entirety of Samurai Pizza Cats on one disk and you could probably do the same with most any show made before 2000.

Which is still wrong. Analog and digital both benefit the same it's the mastering process that determines in the end which is my point. Batman TAS would look beautiful if given a proper remaster on bluray.
Discotek is actually going to start doing that with future releases. They did a release of Fist of the North Star recently that included the original series, sequel, and movie as a test for it and it went really well.

>I wonder why SD-bluray isn't more common.
Because even the low-information consumer can smell an obvious ripoff a mile away.

>obvious ripoff
An entire show on one disk is a good fucking deal.

>Analog and digital both benefit the same
No, they don't - inherently so. Because blowing up analog to HD also makes all the disgusting imperfections more visible.

>imperfections
I like film grain though, as long as it's maintained to reasonable levels.
Also I think that traditional animation, given that it consists of real physical objects being captured on film, actually typically has more fine detail present in the source than most of the 00s digital shows being asked for - the pencil lines, brush strokes, cel shadows, and yes, grain.
You call it "disgusting", I call it "organic" and "pleasant". It looks like actual drawings done by human hands, not something mechanical and plastic like so much modern animation (and I say that as someone who really does like many newer cartoons).

Now, if we're talking shows where the only existing source is videotape, then you aren't going to gain much by releasing upscales of those. They're locked in SD forever. Doesn't mean a Blu-ray release couldn't be superior (check out The Simpsons season 13, certainly not perfect but definitely better colors and a cleaner image than the DVD) but it's just usually not worth the effort or expense.

Attached: large_simpsons_season_13_blu-ray_8.jpg (1920x1080, 523K)

Anyone know if Shout region locks their blu-rays?

Not always, but they've stated a bunch of times on Twitter that due to their licensing agreement on this title it's A locked

Someone can repost the Blu-ray covers of Steve Universe?

Well fuck.

Though maybe this means Aus will get it's own BD release as well. We did already get BD releases of stuff like Over the Garden Wall and Steven Universe so maybe we'll get this now as well.

>Nick releases Avatar: The Last Airbender

Attached: 827.jpg (640x684, 34K)

You now know how it feels, I imported those. You guys were lucky up until now, you also have complete Dexter's Lab and Regular Show sets.

Madman getting Shout's masters for this disc and basically just repressing it with their logo slapped on the front would make sense, but that would mean Disney willing to negotiate with yet another company - cross your fingers friend

>You now know how it feels
Aren't the SU and OTGW region free though? So at least you could import them. I really should just bite the bullet and buy a fucking bd player that can change regions.

Shit....I only just realized that I haven't actually looked into whether the Avatar release will be locked or not. I guess I just assumed that the series would definitely also get a region b bd release.

>complete Dexter's Lab and Regular Show sets
No, we have the gutted version of Regular Show that's censored and is missing several shorts.

Yeah but AVATAR and Teen Titans(original series) are 4:3 cartoons. Id rather watch em on DVD via my CRT. Now if they are remasters akin to the south park re-renders of the old episodes prior to 2009 then id be in it.

Attached: 1513481344160.gif (145x186, 24K)

>Teen Titans(original series) are 4:3 cartoons
I don't know about Avatar but Teen Titans was actually made in 16:9. It was just cropped for it's original broadcast and dvd releases. The bd release is how it was originally made.

>meanwhile all the shows even dating back as 1960s getting gorgeous HD restorations like Attack n1, Remi, Rose of Versailles, Mazinger Z etc.
that's mostly because Japan is overall better about keeping the masters than the US was for most TV cartoons

Nope, they were B locked - I burned extra copies with the region coding stripped.
The Korra Blus were region free though so that bodes well for TLA
Are you sure/do you have them? I was pretty sure Madman only released CN shows uncensored even though they're edited on-air there (disregarding season 1 edits which we got on the US set too).
A big part of that is that Japan produced their animation domestically (therefore making access to the negatives much easier) while almost all western animation is outsourced and a lot can go wrong transporting film across the ocean

Oh I see. However is it actually 1080p(or even 720p) rather than just the dvd resolution but stretched? Im pretty sure the anime Samurai Shampoo was like that.

Quite a bit of 00s anime was done in widescreen SD, however Teen Titans (as well as all DC shows since the 2001 Justice League) is real 1080p

naw bro it was native HD. WB animation was future-proofing

>However is it actually 1080p(or even 720p) rather than just the dvd resolution but stretched?
It's the full original 1080p resolution, not stretched. It looks really great.

Also based WB don't region lock their shit.

Sounds neat. Havent seen the show in years nor do I care to but its nice that its in full HD.

Why are Disney so shit at releasing stuff?

I'm still salty as fuck over the Treasures collections. It seems like they've still got zero intentions of releasing any of their shorts on blu-ray despite them all already being restored.

Not to mention that with their upcoming streaming service they're even less likely to put stuff out on dvd/bd.

>Are you sure/do you have them?
No, but I did have a torrent of it and it was fucked.
I have proof, though: regularshow.wikia.com/wiki/Regular_Show:_Totally_Total_Box_Set

>season 1 edits and one random missing episode from season 4
That's shitty, but it's nowhere near as bad as it would be if they had the versions that actually aired in Australia
There being shorts missing is unfortunate but is something I could live with theoretically - it's not like CN would have bothered to included them had they gotten that far in the US

the GF set is going to look so good next to my Samurai Jack one, they look about the same size

People still buy BDs?

If you care at all about having beloved media for keeps, yes

That, and that in japan they used to broadcast the footage using the actual film print masters (16mm tv prints), granted those were dupes (duplicates) but still.

and since most animes were animated by studios with no foreign outsourcing, they keep the film materials for most of them at least.

tough to be fair sometimes japan does cut corners too, a lot of shows were released on dvd in the 2000s, but the prints used did not had any actual remaster process, for example, teh 1st dvd release of Miss Machiko were not remastered, and the transfers were done trough faded reddish tv prints, but recently they did remaster the show in HD and that is the version released on CrunchyRoll

Minky momo was released on DVD but they were bad laserdiscs transfers with ghostling and frame blending, only for the Blurays they bother to do an actual new HD scan of the prints.

Mazinger Z also got one dvd remaster but had very dark overly burned colors and some imperfections, only in recent years the series was properly remastered in HD and before they release the show on BD in japan, they offered that remastered version to many places, they used those master to release on Spain, Discotek release them on DVD in the US, and mexico airs in HD on Imagen TV with a new dub.

youtube.com/watch?v=blzO8aRwOYg

Attached: mazinger-6.jpg (1920x1080, 178K)

Ehem, Sword in the Stone?

>A big part of that is that Japan produced their animation domestically (therefore making access to the negatives much easier) while almost all western animation is outsourced and a lot can go wrong transporting film across the ocean

Exactly, pretty much all shows were outsourced all over the place, and most of this companies aside from japan, i doubt they could kept the film elements of their shows, aside maybe from the big two, Disney and Warner, but for most, it was more easier to export beta master tapes for the footage before the final master, all out of convenience rather than film elements, but this came out with a price.

Is Shout Factory literally the most based BD/DVD manufacturer?
>Released nearly all the Transformers series, including Animated in HD for the first time and subbed sets of the three Japanese G1 series
>Released boxsets of all the old Nintendo and Sonic cartoons from DiC
>Released a complete series set of ReBoot
>Released as much of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on DVD as legally possible (along with one episode that wasn't legally cleared), and even helped co-produce new seasons
>Released all the pre-2010 seasons of Power Rangers on DVD (something which fans thought was a pipe dream), which led to them getting the license to official Super Sentai DVD sets (even moreso)
>Released a ton of complete series sets for Nicktoons, all at absurdly low prices ($20 for all of Hey Arnold)
>now they're dipping their toes into releasing Disney Channel cartoons
>they regularly reach out to the respective fanbases for input and, in most cases, produce way more special features than any other company would for these properties

And this is just off the top of my head. I've been following this company for over 10 years and they still amaze me year after year.

they are the most based
In another thread there was a hater because they happened to half-ass a couple of sets but they’ve still done way more good than bad.
You forgot to mention that they co-purchased (with Joel) the copyrights to MST3K from Jim Mallon and afterwards paid the whole cast a ton of royalities that they were cheated out of in their original contract, which is something they didn’t have to do.