CATHOLIC GENERAL

CATHOLIC GENERAL

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life. As usual, I will be assisting with answering questions and helping people out. I recommend you do the same.

List of recommended Christian movies, music, and books in the following posts. Feel free to add to the lists.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nA7C815I104
youtube.com/watch?v=vbUXbMn2zfc
youtube.com/watch?v=IK6wJUNirbs
youtube.com/watch?v=qx1s_3CF07k
youtube.com/watch?v=9Mor7syiTSE
youtube.com/watch?v=imEvd1ck4fs
youtube.com/watch?v=7DRketdk07o
youtube.com/watch?v=L3rT8YVJERk
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6wkOO_MEA
youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA
youtube.com/watch?v=CPbWMvQwroo
youtube.com/watch?v=4fv14RFfRLA
youtube.com/watch?v=bchmhIdZgys
youtube.com/watch?v=KI7sOZQaSkI
youtube.com/watch?v=JhHBGRr2XDE
youtube.com/watch?v=mcbJFvje29A
youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4
youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8XE3j_c0U
youtube.com/watch?v=vL1lxH7s3Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=b1bSlS6OWTs
youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A
youtube.com/watch?v=7A1Z5CEXDM4
youtube.com/watch?v=ihNVhFA_X3I
youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU
youtube.com/watch?v=e4dT8FJ2GE0
archive.is/7VuqP
onepeterfive.com/papal-letter-appearing-to-support-communion-for-divorced-remarried-emerges/
youtube.com/watch?v=YNmTaRsEEGw
youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE
lifesitenews.com/news/sspx-could-be-reconciled-with-rome-without-accepting-all-of-vatican-ii
books.google.ca/books?id=67ZcAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA60&dq=bellarmine intitle:Roman intitle:Pontiff&hl=en&sa=X&ei=r4RTVJPOHsPIsATOroAY&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=bellarmine intitle:Roman intitle:Pontiff&f=false
infocatolica.com/?t=ic&cod=27337
rosary-center.org/howto.htm#loaded
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
newadvent.org/cathen/?
ewtn.com/expert/answers/just_war.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Christian music list here. Pic is movies list.

>Marvin Gaye's "God is Love"
youtube.com/watch?v=nA7C815I104
>Woven Hand's "My Russia"
youtube.com/watch?v=vbUXbMn2zfc
>Om's Pilgrimage Album
youtube.com/watch?v=IK6wJUNirbs
>Sufjan Steven's "No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross"
youtube.com/watch?v=qx1s_3CF07k
>mewithoutyou - Sun and Moon
youtube.com/watch?v=9Mor7syiTSE
>Young Oceans - ONLY YOU
youtube.com/watch?v=imEvd1ck4fs
>Bobby McFerrin's Joshua
youtube.com/watch?v=7DRketdk07o
>Psalter's Lord's Prayer
youtube.com/watch?v=L3rT8YVJERk
>Janelle Monae's Victory
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6wkOO_MEA
>Johnny Cash's God's Gonna Cut You Down
youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA
>Nick Drake - Pink Moon
youtube.com/watch?v=CPbWMvQwroo
>Mary Lou Williams - Anima Christi
youtube.com/watch?v=4fv14RFfRLA
>Dr. C.J. Johnson's "You Better Run"
youtube.com/watch?v=bchmhIdZgys
>Judee Sill's Heart Food
youtube.com/watch?v=KI7sOZQaSkI
>Dave Bixby's "Free Indeed"
youtube.com/watch?v=JhHBGRr2XDE
>The Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus' "Beauty After the Fall"
youtube.com/watch?v=mcbJFvje29A

Hymns

>A nice Latin hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4
>Nice Orthodox hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8XE3j_c0U
>A nice Coptic hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=vL1lxH7s3Cw
>18th century English hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=b1bSlS6OWTs
>The Lord's Prayer in Swahili, done in song.
youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A
>A nice collection of South Pacific Island hymns from the movie The Thin Red Line
youtube.com/watch?v=7A1Z5CEXDM4
>Hail Mary in Latin, done in song.
youtube.com/watch?v=ihNVhFA_X3I
>Hallelujah Chorus done suddenly in the public
youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU
>Quality Icelandic hymn
youtube.com/watch?v=e4dT8FJ2GE0

Reposting my Apostolic Christianity recommended books:

>GENERAL

The Bible (Ignatius Study Bible Recommended)
The catechism of your denomination

>accepted English versions of Bible

NABRE
Douay Rheims
RSV

>THEOLOGY

>novice

Introduction to Christianity by Joseph Ratzinger
Scholastic Metaphysics by Edward Feser
The Last Superstition by Edward Feser
The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
Mere Christianity
CATHOLICISM by Robert Barron
The Orthodox Way by Kallistos Ware
Outlines of Moral Theology by Francis J. Connell

>intermediate

God: His Existence and His Nature by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange
Natural Theology by Bernard Boedder
The Spirit of Medieval Philosophy by Etienne Gilson
Against Heresies
City of God
Christianity for Modern Pagans
The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church

>advanced

Apologia Pro Vita Sua
Summa Contra Gentiles
Summa Theologiae
On the Incarnation
The Didache
Divine Names by Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite

Part 1/2

Proud Catholic. Grew up on JP2, practically worshipped him.

I hate, HATE this new dude. He's making me question my faith. Its all faggots this, refugees that, diversity bullshit.

Have decided to not recognise him and patiently wait for him to shuffle off. Then hope we get a decent guy back in.

Part 2/2
>SPIRITUAL LIFE

>novice

The Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales
Story of a Soul by St. Therese
The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton
Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose
Nihilism - Fr Seraphim Rose

>intermediate

The Interior Castle
Spiritual Exercises by St. Ignatius
Dialogues by St. Catherine of Sienna
True Devotion to Mary
True Devotion to the Holy Spirit

>advanced

The Cloud of Unknowing
The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross
The Desert Fathers
The Philokalia
The Ladder of Divine Ascent
New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis

>MEMETICS

Things Hidden Since the Foundation of the World by Rene Girard
I See Satan Fall Like Lightning by Rene Girard

>HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL

Rome Sweet Home
The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day
After Virtue
Christendom I: Founding of Christendom
Theology and Social Theory by John Millbank
Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy by Bernard Williams
Life of St.Anthony by Saint Athanasius
Life of St Francis of Assisi by Saint Bonaventure
Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony
The Autobiography of St. Ignatius Loyol

>FICTION

Don Quixote
The Divine Comedy
Paradise Lost
Silence by Shusaku Endo
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Faust
Les Miserables
The Canterbury Tales
The Man Who Was Thursday
The Brothers Karamazov
A Man for All Seasons
The Pillars of the Earth
The Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
Lord of the World
Parzifal
Joseph of Arimathea: A Romance of the Grail
The Arthurian Cycle

forrigve me father for i hav sined

Honestly, it's very difficult to get a solid picture of the guy because of how the media reports him. I've seen some claims of his that I really disagree with but also some that I discover are bullshit done by journalists.

Seriously. I tried as best I could to give him the benefit of the doubt for the first couple of years and then it just got worse at every turn.

Oh well. At least he's just basically king of the Vatican City.

Jean Luc Marion based.

How do you react to AL? I don't see how even the strongest of Francis' supporters can defend it, honestly.

>This triggers the Catholic

The Pope

Can Lutherans be Catholic? :3

is over there, Wolfy, yoi retard.

I bet half this thread are self-hating gays

We've survived bad popes before, this is just a bump on the road that comes with the territory.

We all just have to all agree that we won't be electing any more South American popes.

The moment you renounce schism. Nothing prevents you from doing this.

Why is it OK to call clergy kiddiefuckers but the second you say Jews run media & finance, you're an "anti-Semite"?

Post rare aryan saviors

He'll be around for at least 10 years

>based postmodernist

I actually don't know the guy. Why the interest?

I'm sorry I'm not good with acronyms. What is "AL"?

It wouldn't be the same without you.

The Pope just elected 17 new cardinals to enforce liberalism.

>archive.is/7VuqP

Because, as E. Michael Jones said, an antisemite is anyone who criticises the Jews.

Because, they run the media and they pick the acceptable targets.

>I'm sorry I'm not good with acronyms. What is "AL"?
Sorry, Amoris Laetitia.

Back payments of $20k/yr of your heresy in the form of diamonds for the Pope's shoelaces will be necessary before we can proceed.

I only now realized how good pic related would be for the OP image.

Marion is giving Catholic philosophers more possibilities to engage and ultimately convert seculars. Most thinkers outside of academia and the church are unwilling to engage in medieval philosophy.

Kill all taigs

Catholicism is textbook blasphemy and you fuckers know it, which is why you banned common people from being allowed to read the Bible

>look it up
>released in March of this year
>I somehow missed this

Well shit. Time to purchase a copy. Thanks for informing me about this. To be frank, while I support us having a quality pope regardless of situation I don't follow the pope's actions closely whatsoever and usually just observe his actions in passing because they always make the news, such as the uproar over the "atheists can go to Heaven" bullshit and the canonization of St. Teresa of Calcutta.

Seeing the topics, I can imagine this being big but I doubt this is legislative at all. Again, thanks for filling me in.

Huh. I'll have to check into his work.

I'm curious though - what have been the key criticisms of AL?

He's not as bad as people make him out to be.

Read some of his encyclicals to get the full story. He is definitely more tolerant than I would like, but he is the cheer leader that the church needs right now.

Without him, the media would be hounding Holy Mother Church non-stop about "human rights" such as abortion and euthanasia. He throws the scent off by playing nice with muzzies.

Give it some time. The next pope we get will be the one that restores the church to its rightful place at the center of western civilization.

Do you ever come back to reality?

christianity is depressing and paradoxically self-involved (both with respect to the Church, as well as with respect to people themselves). I wish you all the best, but I think you're perpetuating depression.

went to mass at 7pm today la

Church used to have 7p and 9p but they canceled 9p so 7p is overflowing
Fucking college kids

BURN THE HERETIC! SUCH VILE HEATHENRY SHALL NOT BE TOLERATED!

you know whats depressing is the idea that after we die it is just eternal oblivion. that shit is scary AF.

The big issue is that Francis has essentially approved the reception of the Holy Eucharist by the divorced and remarried; that is to say, those who are living in a state of mortal sin. In other words, he is endorsing sacrilege of the Holy Eucharist, a fact which he subsequently explicitly confirmed in a letter to the Argentine episcopacy. You can get a cliff notes version of events here:

onepeterfive.com/papal-letter-appearing-to-support-communion-for-divorced-remarried-emerges/

More recently four cardinals - Caffarra, Burke, Brandmüller, and Meisner - sent a dubia to the pope asking for further clarification of AL (a pointless endeavour, IMO: how many clarifications are necessary), which Francis has criticised as being divisive and dishonest.

In more recent news, SSPX may be returned to full communion with Rome in the coming days and Francis will officially fire every member of the Pontifical Academy for Life as of Jan. 1 of next year. These are indeed strange and unsettling times. Diabolical disorientation as Sr. Lucia said.

What are we going to do about this argentinian? There's a group of conservative cardinals that are organizing to check him on his bullshit. So there's that.

Here's a couple more songs:
Mari Stanko:
youtube.com/watch?v=YNmTaRsEEGw

Salve Regina:
youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE

>7pm
>not going to 6:30am and singing praise to the lord as golden light spills through the stained glass windows

We're always waiting user, sunrise masses are best masses

Who is you favorite Saint? Mine is Moses the Black

it's part of why I'm depressed, yes, and that I have to forge my own meaning. But the other stuff including your Church is just a delusion. Why live your life deluded and sanctimonious? It seems like a waste of our one and entire life.

>sunrise masses
noice
never had such a thing near me

St. Francis Xavier

The Jesuits (rightfully? Some are dicks) get a lot of shit, but he put his money were his mouth was. Give up everything and actually go out and baptize thousands. Top tier Saint, was my name for Confirmation.

How did you pick your name for that? Was it your favorite, related to you, or what?

m8 what

You're tossing in some presuppositions that I, nor others, would support at all without address them.

They're pretty great, especially in parishes that still sing. Really great way to kick off the day, plus at my church the priest is usually this really nice, spirit-filled guy. Good time all around

so are you. I thought I was free to discuss them with you fellows (?)

Have you seen The Young Pope? What did you think?

Well shit, now I definitely have to read into this. On what grounds did SSPX return though?

>and Francis will officially fire every member of the Pontifical Academy for Life as of Jan. 1 of next year.

To clarify, that group is being re-structured and so everyone loses their position until the "new" version of the group and its hierarchy are established.

Thanks!

Why is the pope a dirty old bitch with a interracial foot fetish?

Chapter 8 is a particular point of contention. Apart from the aforementioned endorsement of sacrilege against the Holy Eucharist, Francis has also claimed that sanctifying grace can exist in illicit relationships, i.e. cohabitation.

Another controversy is the fact that this was supposed to be a post-synodal document written by the pope. Apparently, it was written by an Abp. Victor Manuel Fernández some 10 years before the Synod on the Family took place. Abp. Fernández has been called a heretic by Cardinal Müller, by the way, but the big point, here, is that this means Amoris Laetita is essentially a fraud. These are not conclusions arrived at on the basis of the Synod itself; they can't be if they were made 10 years before the Synod took place.

When I lived in Indiana, my local parish had morning masses during the week. They started at 7:00 AM, but it was never a sunrise mass.

That sounds really cool. In the winter the sun would rise during the mass, when the days were shorter. Very great aesthetics. Would be cool to have mass like that everyday.

I actually didn't pick him as my confirmation saint and found out about him later in life. I think hes pretty boss as one of the dessert fathers. Was a murderer and gangmemeber who swore to a life of non-violenece which did eventually cost him his life.

Its the washing of the feet.

It happens every year and every parish does it, not just the pope.

It symbolizes Christ washing the feet of followers, and serves to humble the clergy.

just so you know im not actually catholic, its unreasonable i agree. its only that people need delusion, the concept that after we die it is just an eternal void so empty that we are incapable of comprehending it is so pants-shitting terrifying that people need to retreat into religion. i tell myself that due to quantum mechanics observation is unique on a physical level and in the Schrodingers cat test the cat doesn't break the experiment with its observation that must entail something special about consciousness, i then say that due to the fact that energy can not be destroyed my energy will be used to make another person after a while and reincarnation occurs. but that's probably pseudo-scientific dogshit.

>On what grounds did SSPX return though?
This is just a rumour at the moment. Certain sources in contact with Fr. Z and Rorate, but I think it's more likely to be an extension on confessions by SSPX priests.

It's very common, I've discovered, but my favorite would be St. Therese of Lisieux. Her writing and her life resonate with me heavily.

and that's why I plan on living the way I'd like to rather than what a god says who may or may not be real

lifesitenews.com/news/sspx-could-be-reconciled-with-rome-without-accepting-all-of-vatican-ii

Here you go, bud. This is the latest I've heard about it.

Saint Optatus, my confirmation saint. The hammer of the Donatists.

Is St. Therese your patron saint? Or did she become your favorite after your conformation?

I ask because my patron is St. Thomas Aquinas, and while he rules and did amazing work, I have found other cool saints that I like. I feel that not placing St. Aquinas as my favorite saint is somehow disrespectful.

Not sure if you have anything to say about that.

If you can trust yourself to be able to discern whether the Pope can be trusted, then why is the Pope necessary? How are you better than the Protestants when you question the Pope allowing divorced and remarried Catholics to receive Communion?

Am I the only one who thinks the washing of the feet is far too antiquated to properly serve the purpose of humbling? No one washes feet like that in the modern day, so it seems more like attention grabbing than anything else. Like, being a janitor or something would better serve the purpose of humbling. It's good for tradition though.

>that Francis has essentially approved the reception of the Holy Eucharist by the divorced and remarried
actually no he didn't a few months ago when this was reported on it was swiftly debunked

Go fuck yourself.

Did you know Jesus was a mushroom? That's right: Christianity was only the most succesful of the hybrid-mystery religions developed in the Mediterranean in the first century.

Then you killed the Mithraeans and burned the Library of Alexandria. To hide what?

Truth was spoken. It's like how about I suck this donkey's dick to honor the landowner, when people use pickup trucks to deliver goods now and the donkey was just wandering through.

I can ask if the President is good while still having him, yes?

The Pope isn't infallible period, only when giving the official edicts on behalf of Christ himself. At all other times, the Pope is just the Bishop of Rome and a great example of how to love a Carholis life. I may not agree on all the political manuveuerings Francis works with, but I still have to admire his greatness as a man.

It's not private judgment. It's weighing the pope's words against the Magisterium. Communion for the divorced and remarriage is a significant turn on our Tradition, and this isn't Joe Layman coming to that conclusion but established and respected theologians and cleric; men like the aforementioned four cardinals, the 45 theologians who signed a letter for clarification to Francis back in July, philosophers like Robert Spaemann, and professors like Dr. Robert Shaw.

If it is found that the pope is in error or is a formal/material heretic than the faithful Catholic has a moral obligation to dissent. This was written about by St. Robert Bellarmine in his Four Articles. You can read more here:

books.google.ca/books?id=67ZcAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA60&dq=bellarmine intitle:Roman intitle:Pontiff&hl=en&sa=X&ei=r4RTVJPOHsPIsATOroAY&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=bellarmine intitle:Roman intitle:Pontiff&f=false

Doesn't have the same societal meaning these days imo. But what are you going to replace it with? At least it's iconic and historical.

Ive just started to take up Christianity since I found out Jesus is real. What distinguishes Catholicism from other sects? Also, what do catholics think when it comes to crusades/fighting filthy muslime invaders

Except that's not true. You can read the full letter here:

infocatolica.com/?t=ic&cod=27337

>El escrito es muy bueno y explícita cabalmente el sentido del capitulo VIII de Amoris laetitia . No hay otras interpretaciones.

I'm inclined to agree that it is too old of a tradition to hold the same meaning that it once did.

That being said, it is still a beautiful tradition and should be upheld. I agree with you though, priests should take a more modern approach to humbling themselves to the laity they serve.

Our old parish priest would help out all the time with our Knights of Columbus council. Very good guy. He would insist on busting the tables for our yearly senior citizen dinner that we put on. Something like this seems more applicable in this day and age.

>THERE IS NO OTHER INTERPRETATION.
Cuckthlics BTFO.

What's the best advice for someone who's been trying to become religious for the past four years but just can't seem to break down the wall? Seriously, regularly go to church, but I just never feel it. Plus I really want to be able to count going to Iraq as a personal Crusade.

>2016
>Still falling for the religion meme ...

Oðinist here. When are you and the Muhammadans going to Crusade and Jihad each other off already? What's taking so long?

>It's no longer relevant
>But it's beautiful and should be maintained

That's sort of the way I look at all of Catholicism and Christianity more broadly. A lot of romance and pomp for something and someone that died a long time ago, and which will never return.

Ask God for help. Do this every day.

lobotomy

You should take LSD

Bang my vagina, I'll make you see god.

Pray the rosary for guidance, my dude.

rosary-center.org/howto.htm#loaded

The only way to get in touch with the Father is to know the son. And the best way to meet the son is through his mother.

>I will be assisting with answering questions and helping people out.

Here's a question: Why doesn't your God show up and prove to the world that he's real?

>worshiping the god that gets his power from sucking the cum out of hanged men
Sounds like a Swedish religion to me.

Not at all, bud.

I agree that I feel a longing for a time that I never lived in, but I'm sure many people feel that. My longing just happens to be for a time before Vatican 2.

I wholly believe in God, in his existence and his church. As long as I have my faith, the church and its teachings will never be irrelevant.

Does this mean the Father will touch me in my most intimate place?

Well, I don't know. You're the catholic priest, after all.

When do we do a #PizzaGate on the Catholic Church, Sup Forums?

>what distinguishes Catholicism

What sets Catholicism apart is that it's the full package. All the Salvation history, every verse, song, word, passage, all gets fulfilled. If you take a class (Jesuits especially do great work explaining it all) on the history of Sacraments/Church tradition the sheer poetic value of the text, not to mention the beautiful catalog of the fall and redemption of man, will prove Catholicism true. Plus you get to actually thinkk ask questions, and do right in the world. Catholicism beats everybody else by far

>Crusades

Depends on who you ask, just like anywhere else. imo murder isn't wrong, but if a warlord has to die so that his slaves may live, so be it. There was absolutely some bad things about the Crusades, however most "blood everywhere" accounts were falsified (propaganda by Bolsheviks/Leftists/Protestants/etc) and the place was actually pretty peaceful with the Catholics in charge. Ultimately, though, you can't change the past- our whole religion is kinda based in that- so we must seek justice going forward.

If you're looking for blind "kill le mudslides", wrong place. Catholicism is an actual religion of peace, love and kindness. No room for bigotry and hatred

CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA
newadvent.org/cathen/?

He did, and we killed him that time. He's not gonna fuck around with that shit again

Thanks for the advice man

its been a while Wolfshiem

good to have you as always la, these threads kept me sane during finals

>If you're looking for blind "kill le mudslides", wrong place. Catholicism is an actual religion of peace, love and kindness. No room for bigotry and hatred

ewtn.com/expert/answers/just_war.htm
"
CCC 2302-2317
The Catechism of the Catholic Church, in paragraphs 2302-2317, authoritatively teaches what constitutes the just defense of a nation against an aggressor. Called the Just War Doctrine, it was first enunciated by St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430 AD). Over the centuries it was taught by Doctors of the Church, such as St. Thomas Aquinas, and formally embraced by the Magisterium, which has also adapted it to the situation of modern warfare. The following explanation of Just War Doctrine follows the schema given in the Catechism

"

He's a kike puppet leading people away from God.

>mfw there are people on Sup Forums who unironically cite Jewish propaganda for their theological studies.

Do you believe in the original sin?

If so,Mary is in the grave, and you cant talk to the dead

sounds more my style. But I guess I wasnt clear about the crusade part. I meant as in self defense, protecting ones homeland. I want to keep the muslims out is all

>Here's a question: Why doesn't your God show up and prove to the world that he's real?

He does.