What is with all the cynical tv shows on air as of late? Rick and Morty, BoJack Horseman, Californication...

What is with all the cynical tv shows on air as of late? Rick and Morty, BoJack Horseman, Californication? All of it seems to star amazingly broken people doing fucked up shit with no regard for morally?

Why is everything so damn cynical with no real resolutions or catharsis, and any attempts to solve this backfires?

>everything is shit

what is up with all these cynics. It's weird, innit?

It appeals to the audience because it's a manifestation of leftist nihilism.

There are quite a few tropes in shows and movies that ultimately boil down to nihilist or morally-void behavior and it's no coincidence that a certain demographic finds that appealing.

>Californication
>as of late
Go back to sleep user.

Fuark, that image perfectly illustrates me after throwing my first, and last, party.

Weeks of preparation for a shitty lantern party that only around a hundred people came to. I was working my ass off the entire fucking night.

Mr. Peanutbutter exemplifies the human spirit needed to get through this and chase mailmen

Because people have it too easy. Believe me, if we just came out of WW3, everyone would want to watch Leave it to Beaver

How's the potato patch, Patty?

I don't watch much tv, I was about to list House as one so you might be a bit right on the sleep part. Everything I do watch seems to be way more cynical as appose to the past.

Art imitating life.

writers tend to surf Sup Forums

I thought cynical shit was the norm in Ireland.
And, to answer your question, it's because we're in decadence. Traditions, civilization, values, etc are all eroding. You picked a shitty time to be born, O'Faggington

Postmodernism is basically "life is a long series of disappointments ending with your death" the philosophy.

No surprise when it results in a seriously-depressed society continually forced to evaluate its own merits without context or history.

Potatoes don't grow well in winter moron, but last harvest was very good thank you.

Real life isn't this cynical though, most people are inherently good and don't have more emotional and behavioral problems than Scotlands finest heroin junkys, these shows are closer to Trainspotting than reality for 99% of the population.

Ireland is pretty obsessed with death but we aren't really cynical I wouldn't say, at least compared to similar countries

Shows like R&M and BoJack, I think, were made to represent how the creators were seeing things at the time. One thing I noticed when I first saw Rick and Morty was that it actually wasn't as ironic as a lot of other shows, especially animated ones. It seemed like it tried respond to the prevailing irony and insincerity of the time by having a show that was more straightforward and "sincere," but for leftists (and to a certain degree rightists) this means cynicism. I'm not saying this is what Roiland and Harmon were thinking when they made the show, but this was my impression when I found it.

Now that R&M isn't new anymore and I've been around Sup Forums more it doesn't seem that the show's casual nihilism is as insightful, but at least it's a more straightforward portrayal of what the creators are thinking. A lot of liberal-made media is full of phony meaning, made by nihilists and moral relativists who either pretend to believe something, or do everything ironically so they can bash someone's genuine beliefs. R&M at least seems honest. I've only seen a bit of Bojack, but it seems like the same idea, like they actually wanted to portray a guy who's disillusioned and cynical, like Rick.

Hopefully it won't be long before somebody responds to this trend with shows that have actual unironic meaning again, and not just ironic fake meaning, or nihilism.

>Real life isn't this cynical though
Maybe it's like that in Ireland. Millennials here are depressed as fuck

Welcome to Hollywood

F is for Family is based traditional values

U is for Übermensch
N is for nigger killing any time at all down here in the western world

Name two ways in which libertarians are worse than conservatives

failing to accept that people are flawed

roads and weed

Yeah, R&M is basically: "We have all these cool sci-fi ideas and we are just going wild with them not trying to moralize at all and just tell it like it is".

But because today everything has to have a deep meaning and some sort of epic story arc, even kids cartoons, people try to see something deep in it.

Everything has to have some artsy-fartsy progressive message today.