Why aren't these letters in Emglish?

Æ æ, Ð ð, Þ þ, Ö ö, ß

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HoD6a19jym0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because English is a creole language.

What sounds do they make?

The one the looks like a p is th. The ß is a double s.

Stupid meme letters

Because it's evolved past that proto-Germanic bullshit nigger.

Weil Englisch ist ein besser Sprache als Deutschen scheiße oder Serbische scheiße oder anderen Europäisch scheiße.

Groß-Britannien regeln der See!

english already has all the letters it needs to express everything

We don't speak Arabic

Only Æ and ß are okay
The rest are for pagan-niggers

If your language doesn't include at least one of those you're not white.

I speak German, Russian, English and making my CEFR C1 in french right now

I won't learn spanish because I there is literally nothing to read, the french have voltaire at least

Å i åa ä e ö
>mfw this is a legit sentence in Swedish Värmländsk dialect

HAI GUIOS I FOUND A LANGUIG

WE GON WRITE COLONEL
BUT SPELL IT KEARNOL

XXDDDDDDDDLOLOL
LETS REOVLTON

that's german, i hope you were just trolling us.

Ö is O with a diacritic, not a letter, and it exists in English (as diaeresis, not an umlaut), it's just nearly never used.

Pændemonium

>Æ æ
This is a ligature, a cool way of writing an "a" and an "e" when they are together. It's not a letter.

>Ð ð, Þ þ
Eth and thorn are a bit redundant, honestly. However, I agree we should have kept thorn. Those both are English letters, they just don't get used anymore.

>Ö ö
Umlauts are diacritic marks; they are accents. Putting an accent on a letter does NOT make it a new letter, it just changes the letter or syllable's behavior in the word. English sometimes does use these, in the same way that French and Latin do.

Eszett's name literally means "sz" which is exactly what it is. It's another ligature, not a letter.

Mämmi

You alright?

Fpbp

English still has all the sounds of Germanic but without any of the letters.

French influence via Normans for the first half

Someone needs to read more books on his host country, Ahmed.

What does it say?

Does Ww count? Most alphabets lack it.

We have á é í ó ú
t. Gaeilge

I think the Raid is getting to him.

Þ þ

These are the only legit letters that belong, all others are autistic shorthand tier garbage squiggles.

yeah, why don't you have this letter? Ñ

Take your gay squiggly, and fuck off Pablo.

>Emglish

>Putting an accent on a letter does NOT make it a new letter
Depends on the language.
Ö and Ä are their own letters in Swedish and Finnish alphabets for instance. They are not "accented O and A".

Depends at how you look at it. In old English or Icelandic/Norwegian/Danish it isn't a ligature, and in modern English it simply isn't.
But, since the Ä/Æ sound exists in the English language, it could be applied as such.

>tfw no þ

How do you know where to do an accent when speaking English? i.e Tomate, Tómate

å ä ö master race

>depends on the language
No, just because you say something is the case doesn't make it the case. They aren't new letters no matter what you were taught or believe.

>2016
>putting cuckstamps on your letters
TOP KEK

Dude, personally I go with Old italic alphabet, any other alphabets are not real, they are just accents of the True Letters, just because you think they are doesn't make them so.

Get the fuck out of here you literal fucking retard.

But what is the circle for?

See
Top post. Would have a pint of beer and discuss linguistics with you in a pub for a cozy hour if you were up for that. No homo.

Anyway, the ae ligature is seen relatively frequently. At least in academic writing or certain house styles.

Almost always the first syllable.

we dont speak arabic

We know, Americans barely speak English

>cuckstamps
Really activated my almonds, Abdul.

Thorn and eth make a lot of sense to keep when you think how common those sounds are.

y-you too

Yeah, dropping those for "th" is really weird. It's a sound that most other languages don't have, it really should have its own letter.

Most of them were, at one point

o

they look weird that's why

my condolencies, dear sir.

What sound does english Ö make? Uoohh? Eooohh?

He said he thinks he sounds like a dumb rural person.

So does icelandic, does that mean you're icelandic rape-babies?

Old italic FTW!

Having hard time waiting for your wife and that refugee to get out of bedroom eh?

You round your lips.

The first six still are officially, we just don't use them anymore.

Rare.

It's because the original printing presses from Germany didn't have the thorn so they used the y instead.

But I do vote we bring them back. A lot of attempts use them for voiced (they ðey) and unvoiced (throw þrow).

Old English had the Thorn (Þ þ), left over from Old Norse, although we never standardised different letters for the voiced and voiceless dental fricatives. As time went on, we imported typefaces from the continent, which didn't have the Thorn. So we used the letter Y instead, as it looked similar - this is also why you see "Ye Olde Shoppe" - it was never pronounced "ye", merely spelled that way. Use eventually died out and we just used "TH" to apply to both fricatives.

Icelandic is the only language to yet retain these letters, and it has standardised the fricatives. Ð ð refer to a voiced dental fricative, whereas Þ þ refers to a voiceless one. Again, Old English used the latter to refer to both.

We also used to have Æ, and other letters such as Œ. Again, Old English. Through standardisation via Chaucerband developments by Shakespeare, it fell out of use. Words such as "Manoeuvre" used to have these letters, but were standardised.

if they don't look proper on a digital clock layout, they aren't real letters.

accent marks straight up failed entirely because of the digital age, much like how cursive will never be a thing on common text based Internet forums.

FUCKING NORMANS REEEEEEEEEEE

Æ/æ and Œ/œ, to the extent they were ever used in English, were only used as ligatures rather than independent letters. With the transition away from writing to printed material, ligatures tended to be broken up into their constituent letters.

Ð/ð and Þ/þ existed in Old English, but fell into disuse following the Norman invasion and the move to Middle English. The main reason, I believe, is because the letters themselves were foreign to the Latin alphabet the Norman French used.

Ö/ö designate a front high rounded vowel, which hasn't existed in English in a long, long time. Thus, it fell out of use.

ß was probably used at some point, but like æ, it's a ligature, and ligatures fell into disfavor in the move from handwriting to printed English. The far more interesting question to ask is why ſ fell out of use.

You could make a simple eth (ð) by just taking out the top left vertical line.

ð has the same sound as þ but in icelandic we never use ð in the beginning of a word.

>>ß
>Eszett's name literally means "sz" which is exactly what it is. It's another ligature, not a letter.

Actually, if it was ever used in English, ß would have been a ligature of ſ and s.

I believe it means "and in the river there is an island"

It's used a lot, for example the "u" on burn is a an ö-sound.

Yeah, but Saxon has upper and lower case for both. And since we have two kinds of th it makes sense to draw a line of separation.

Also, enough about þorn and eð. Why does no one cry tears for the Wynn?

It was just your brother, here's a picture of me killing him.

>this is also why you see "Ye Olde Shoppe" - it was never pronounced "ye", merely spelled that way.
Holy shit I never knew that. All this time....

>Öö/Ää/Üü

ARE their own letters in German

is called "sz", but that is not "what it is" at all, it is a double-s (ss).

look how retarded it looks next to regular letters

how do i pronounce the o with a dash through it one?

You look retarded next to regular people.

aah-nee-ah-noo-lahn-wej

>The far more interesting question to ask is why ſ fell out of use.
I've asked myself that but never searched for an answer. It's especially strange that the Germans dropped it, making some compound words ambiguous in the process.

I assume you're taking the vowel associated with this letter in Swedish and applying that to English. I know some languages use it frequently, I meant that it's rarely used in English writing. Words like "coordinate" can be correctly written "coördinate", but never are.

In Swedish, O is different from Ö; A is different from Å and Ä.
They make different sounds entirely and behave different grammatically.
Soft vowels in: e, i, y, ä, ö; hard vowels: a, o, u, å.

get better dental, I just watched an apple commercial where some little British girl had super fucked up teeth and I had a nice chuckle

Because really heavy Cambridge accent apparently already pronounce O as Ö.

It's "and in the lake there is an island".

naw dog in old days s looked like an f

found it lmao, even in super pc culture you're still stereotyped (accurately) as buttertoothed mongoloids, so your argument of what letters do and don't look retarded until you can pronounce said letters with a full head of non-rotting teeth you fucking mudslime loving cunt

Kek.

I don't know much about spanish literature but I was given a whole lot of spanish poetry when I was learning the language. The only name I can remember is federico garcia lorca but there were others for sure.

> tfw Armenian
> tfw have 38 letters

Haha y'all can suck on my dick when you figure out how to write կ (soft G), շ (S as in Sugar), խ (hard Kh), ծ (combination of t and s but more pitchy), ռ (hard r), տ (hard t), ձ (About the same as dz), ճ (this one's had. Pitchy hard ch), ժ (soft j), պ (hard p), etc.

Here's a video of the pronunciation of Armenian letters. Watch this and you'll realize how many sounds your shitty """language""" is missing.

youtu.be/HoD6a19jym0

>”Jo, når’n da ha gått ett stöck te, så kommer’n te e å, å i åa ä e ö.”
>”Vasa”, sa’n.
>”Å i åa ä e ö”, sa ja.
>”Men va i all ti ä dä ni säjer, a, o?” sa’n.
>”D’ä e å, vett ja”, skrek ja, för ja ble rasen, ”å i åa ä e ö, hörer han lite, d’ä e å, å i åa ä e ö.”
>”A, o, ö”, sa’n, å dämme geck’en.
>Jo, den va nôe te dum den.

If your language doesn't have this letter: Ñ
You're niggers.

What happened Finland? You're looking sick.

Ինչպես ես ջիգլար

I'm sorry, we are discussing Germanic languages, not Turkish.

Armenian is a whole another language family retard

>I've asked myself that but never searched for an answer. It's especially strange that the Germans dropped it, making some compound words ambiguous in the process.

I have a feeling there may have been a phonetic distinction at some time, but in Modern English, and possibly late-Middle English, that distinction died out.

Interestingly, if you look at typefaces that have an italic ſ, it looks like ∫. The plot thickens.

>Words like "coordinate" can be correctly written "coördinate", but never are.
That is the weirdest goddamn thing I've seen when reading older works. I always want to scream that it's a horrific typo, or that it was digitized and the encoding got screwed up somehow, turning co-ordinate into coördinate.

>naw dog in old days s looked like an f
Actually, only *some* instances of "s" used ſ. I believe it was pretty much only word-final "s" sounds that used the regular "s". Greek has a similar issue with lowercase sigma. Sometimes it's σ, sometimes it's ς.

Lav. Du vonces, cavet tanem?

Don't have any of those. But we have á, č, ď, é, ě, ch, í, ň, ó, ř, š, ť, ú, ů, ý, ž.

Some were, but fell out of use.

It's why encyclopaedia is spelt the way it is, and "ye olde" a thing. Missing letters.

խաշ կերա եվ հիմա փոլիթիկ էմ սովորում
But no really I just think its cool to see others who can speak armenian lmao.