Haruhi

It's been just about a decade since the show originally aired. Has Haruhi stood the test of time? Have its many copies diluted what made it great or just served to highlight how right it got it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aDafzQ_psnM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The show itself is still good, shame that of the main cast only Sugita and maybe Ono still have good careers as of late. Even Minorin isn't in a lot of things anymore.

My love for my waifu has stood the test of time at least.

Still good, I don't like any of the copies though

Why is Haruhi such a size queen?

What copies?
*repeats the same episode for the fifth time*

I rewatch it once a year and each year I enjoy the fuck out of it. I only watch it in the chronological order though.
I dont know why exactly, but no other show makes me as comfy as Haruhi does.

Why is she so fluffy?

This made me think of the time when endless eight aired. People were so confused, me included. Oddly enough I still watch it every year and I do like the gradual changes in the episodes, but man they really took an unnecessary risk with endless eight. You could have used like 2 episodes on that.

> Double 8's
No. Please no. Not again.

Because every inch of that movie looked incredible and that was an especially important scene.

It's still best Ace Attorney adaptation.

It's funny, even the case itself would feel right at home in an AA game.

The movie is good... Because Haruhi is barely in it.

No, I watched it for the first time about 6 months ago without knowing anything about it. TV series is pretty average while the movie is above-average.

Haruhi definitely had a major impact on the industry and future shows, so it it important historically, but nothing is special about the plot or characters.

>endless eight is barely one or two chapters in a single light novel vol.

fuck everything.

>gradual changes
There aren't any though, that's my issue with it, it's literally the same scenes and dialogue.

Haruhi is in fact a 23 episodes anime

But movie is about finding Haruhi.

As someone who only watched it for the first time a few months ago

I didn't like it, but I can definitely see the appeal if you watched it when you were younger. I don't think it holds up.

Because there's no song more comfy than Itsumo no Fuukei.

I watched it recently and loved it.
Worth noting that I watched original broadcast then S2 rather than chronological, that might have something to do with it. The original show is absolutely magical like that.

She features a good amount, and the parts where she doesn't appear Kyon is all 'I miss muh Haruhi.'

And she's a cute, fuck you.

Nothing like a bizarre and boring normal alternate world to make you realise just how much you like the bossy and slightly crazy hyperactive girl that keeps making your life a pain in the ass.

What part of "we are stuck in an infinite time loop" was confusing the first 8 times?

I only started watching a week ago. Marathoned E8 in one sitting. I truly believe it was made as a form of advanced torture or to feed some BDSM fetish. Probably both.

A fun pain in the ass

the series is obnoxious and the movie is just a ripoff of end of evangelion

One that forces him to have experiences that he otherwise wouldn't and to be friends with people that he otherwise couldn't. She has a net positive influence on his existence even before you get into any personal attachment.

>a ripoff of end of evangelion
Funny way to spell "superior version"

There was no confusion, but since glasses-alien implicated that there should have been slight differences occurring it should have actually had some slight differences, different camera angles aren't slight differences.

I miss Elysium subs. They were the best.

Making episodes different would defeat the whole point of dragging out EE for so long.

then why imply there are slight differences at all? you can't outbreak a loop unless slight differences occur.

>the whole point
>pic
The whole point was being progressive for the sake of progression instead of entertainment.

Because if anybody in Japan is packing nine inches, it's Kyon.

>You can wait a little longer, right?

I realised the other day that he is eating the fucking hotpot that Haruhi made in the ED to the first season.
We weren't ever waiting. It was right in front of us.

I can never see why people can like Haruhi as a person, she is incredibly bitchy, selfish and likes to torture people, not just her friends. The anime itself was ok but fuck the endless 8, was there really a need for people to waste their time watching the same episode over and over again. Every character in this anime is better than Haruhi, but she has potential, she needs to stop being selfish and a straight up bitch.

Please tell me someone agrees with me?

>she needs to stop being selfish and a straight up bitch.
She actually softens up a lot on the LNs, but you never got to see it because they were never animated. She's a weird selfish bitch at the start because she was an ignored outcast.

>because she was an ignored outcast.
I think I have more respect for her now. It explains everything. I wish they'd continue the anime, I'd like to see a nicer Haruhi.

Haruhi is likeable because she's passionate about her quest. She isn't afraid to disregard social norms or push people around to achieve her goal. True passion doesn't follow guardrails. It is equally as ugly as it is beautiful.

That's the appeal.

> Slight differences
There were. Every time the clothing was different. The food changed slightly, and the fish changed, and Ayy-chan caught a different rare bug. Some of the lines were tweaked or had a different order as well.

It just was. An infinite time loop. It's literal purgatory.

She barely had any friends before she made the SOS Brigade, and has a really bad understanding of social norms. She literally needs Kyon to explain them for her. Over time she mellows down due to Kyon's influence

You see bits and pieces in both the anime and movie.

She's unique, quirky and interesting.

every few months or so, when i remember this i keep looking up the movie in youtube and start watching at that point where kyon meets alternate haruhi, then find myself unable to stop watching

every fucking time

every fucking time, kyon.

i want to get off this wild ride

That scene is fantastic. So much going on.

not a single dialogue line was tweaked.
Clothes changing wouldn't actually make sense, that was just done because it was eye-candy. Nothing actually changed.

That's the point. Haruhi is forceful, self-centered and doesn't give a shit about other people. Kyon is the total opposite and acts as a foil for her. He's one of the few characters who treats her as a human, and being in contact with him and the SOS Brigade helps Haruhi to adjust and open up to people. It goes both ways, Kyon is too self-aware and worries too much about what normies think, so someone like Haruhi forcing him to try new stuff is a blessing for him. It's yin yang shit where the yin becomes the yang and the yang becomes the yin.

Anyone have the hardcover LNs and what is the quality like?

Need to finish off Intrigues, Dissociation and Suprise but hate e-readers and would rather have a physical copy.

>Intrigues
Meant Indignation.

I feel chills every time she reacts to "John Smith"

I have the hardcover for the first one, it's pretty good quality but you can go for the normie cover edition, helps to blend in.

I marathoned it. Some lines were added or skipped between loops. Less than 5%.

>Clothes changing wouldn't actually make sense
But it DID. Especially the swimsuits.

Because of Deja vu.

Actually, the clothes changing is quite problematic when it comes to the story structure and world building. Is it really realistic that the characters have that many different clothes of the same kind at the same point in the washing cycle? People don't own 8 different swimsuits. Or other clothes that are clean.

>some lines were added or skipped
No see, they all occurred during the first time loop, they were just left out. That's why I'm saying no actual dialogue has changed, because it hasn't.

I watched 1,2,3 (subbed), 5(on accident), and 8, all over three days.

8 sets of clothes is reasonable for teenagers during summer (all of them are really nice clothes but that comes with most Kyoani anime). But 8 swimsuits is a lot, I don't think most people own more than 1 or 2.

They don't go to the exact same place which is subtly built 8 different ways either.

Face it. There were subtle changes. Just enough to say it wasn't recycled frames yet it was still exactly the same..

Some dialogue change, rewatch it. The way Koizumi presents the timeloop is different almost everytime. I had fun seeing the little differences between every episode, they weren't building up toward something but every episode had a different mood if you pay attention. Some had nice metaphors, like the drowning ant.
Endless Eight is a good idea on paper, bad on screen, but with great execution to save it.

>not a single dialogue line was tweaked

When Kyon took off his frog suit, he always made some reference to another franchise, like
>I feel like Unit-01 after it got knocked down
or something like that. It was always a different one, I think.

Was planning on buying the hard cover just for longevity but I am pretty disappointed that they don't have an alternate cover similar to the paperback.

Here

Kyou kun Denwa!

From my rewatch experience I can say that I feel like other anime have refined the formula Haruhi wrote to the point where it didn't feel fresh at all. There's still a soft spot in my heart for it because the first time was magical, but it's not a show I could rewatch regularly.

Are you ready for the third coming of our goddess?

I just finished it a few days ago, no dialogue changed. Rewatch it.

> Encouraging anyone to rewatch endless 9
You aren't fooling anyone, user.

You rewatch it, swindler. There's that episode where Koizumi jokes by repeating "we're stuck in a timeloop" until Kyon tells him to shut up. And that other one where Kyon imitates a voicemail when Asahina calls him in the middle of the night.

then just read the script.

No see, they all occurred during the first time loop, they were just left out. That's why I'm saying no actual dialogue has changed, because it hasn't.

> Script
All the tweaks were improv, brov.

Always

And here is the original picture, btw.

Horrible.

No, in other timelines Kyon answers differently the phone. In one of them (and only one, iirc), he says he's going to kill Koizumi when he finds Asahina crying, but in others he just asks what's happening. I remember all that, you can't fool my autism.

We will never ever get some of that good plot again!

Just when is Tanigawa going to get off his ass and write another book?

I always hear this song of Minori Chihara thinking it as if I'd be hearing the S3 OP, and always moves me when I start to imagine the animation.
youtube.com/watch?v=aDafzQ_psnM

Damn, I really miss this franchise.

7/7/2016 (1+6 = 7)

He ran out of words

Which means H-Haruhi only

it's actually one chapter... with less than 20 pages

?

The guy is bored with the series. He has other projects in mind doesn't want to get stuck up with Haruhi.

His laziness killed the series.

You can't imitate a voicemail and respond the phone normally at the same time. He does one or the other, depending on the timeline. That goes for the rest too.

So, user, here's one interpretation:
We only see loops 1; 15,498; 15,499; 15,513; 15,521; 15,524; 15,527; and 15,532

That means that after the first episode, all of Endless Eight takes place after almost 600 years of looping from Yuki's perspective. There's a period of over 15,000 straight loops that we have no idea about.
Yuki tells us that the brigade failed to notice the loop at least 6,000 times, and that other rather large differences happened numerous times.
There's only one thing that consistently changes in between loops that could account for those differences: Yuki's memory.

Maybe Yuki broke down and told them about the looping- several thousand times- to no avail. The story just cuts straight to her despair, which of course introduces Disappearance.

There were two times that they didn't go to the fair. Is that when Yuki went full Murray and killed everyone?

Are you done insisting on being wrong? Saying it 15000 more times won't change that.

You can't imitate a voicemail and respond the phone normally at the same time. He does one or the other, depending on the timeline. That goes for the rest too.

Is your homework done already?

We have entered endless recursion of posts.

> clothes changing
Yeah, that's what bugs me about it. I really doubt Yuki would bother with getting new swimsuits. And some things on the bon festival are different. Not even sure that the pool was the same every time.
So it implies the world was actually rewritten a little on every reset.

>comfy
Die user.

With Yuki it makes no sense, unless the swimsuits weren't purchased, but were generated by the Data Overmind, and hence were different on each iteration. But for the other girls, most girls do indeed have a lot of outfits, including multiple swimsuits.

Why only me and not the user I'm replying?

>With Yuki it makes no sense, unless the swimsuits weren't purchased, but were generated by the Data Overmind, and hence were different on each iteration. But for the other girls, most girls do indeed have a lot of outfits, including multiple swimsuits.
Deja vu

Wouldn't killing Haruhi have ended the loop though?

It would have ended everything else as well