How did they get him?

How did they get him?

He trusted someone who was a retard.

Because Misa existed.

Plot

When he decided that he didn't want to do his work solo and brought in two dumbasses

Villain protagonists are not allowed to win

Killing Lind L. Tailor was his biggest mistake.

>"Light..."

The writer stopped giving him deus ex machinas and dropping in nice little coincidences to help him along after he killed off L.

Except Misa actually fucked up less times than he did, and he was the one who got himself caught. Light had fucked up about 3 times before Misa's character even existed. Killing Rey Pender (however you spell his name) was a mistake that would have gotten light caught within a week, no exception, if not for the writer realizing he wrote light into a whole and then created a coincidental fix for it.

Misa directly revealed the existence of Death Note and basically brought L to Light's front door. I agree that Light made major mistakes before that, but those were covered up and L had no leads on them. Misa was ultimately what got Light arrested.

>arrested.
I meant caught.

He fucked up at first chapter

>Misa directly revealed the existence of Death Note and basically brought L to Light's front door.

Which doesn't really matter since Light killing Reye Pender was going to do the same if not for the writer having his wife coincidentally meet Light right when she was going to meet L for the win. There's also the parts where Ryuk saved Light's ass. Remember how he snitched on Reye tailing Light? Remember the part where Light blackmailed Ryuk with the fact that he wouldn't be able to eat apples if he didn't tell him where the camaras were, despite the fact that we're shown that Ryuk can leave light to fly around the city at any time he wants and steal apples? Another thing, Misa's coming to existence actually sealed the deal for Light beating L completely. The moment Rem said she wasn't going to allow Misa to die meant L was going to lose REGARDLESS of what happened. It was the biggest slap in the face to anyone who cared. Think about it, a character who cannot be stopped by anyone else in the series says she's willing to kill L and would do so even if Kira got caught. It meant that Light would have either won via Rem (which he did) or it would have been a tie with Rem killing him after Light was caught. The writer gave light the ultimate cheat that meant he could not lose.

> Misa actually fucked up less times than he did

Misa saw L's name and forgot it.

Honestly, she ruined the story much more than Near or Mello.

>Which doesn't really matter since Light killing Reye Pender was going to do the same if not for the writer having his wife coincidentally meet Light right when she was going to meet L for the win. There's also the parts where Ryuk saved Light's ass. Remember how he snitched on Reye tailing Light? Remember the part where Light blackmailed Ryuk with the fact that he wouldn't be able to eat apples if he didn't tell him where the camaras were, despite the fact that we're shown that Ryuk can leave light to fly around the city at any time he wants and steal apples?
As I said, none of these played a part in Light getting caught.

>Another thing, Misa's coming to existence actually sealed the deal for Light beating L completely. The moment Rem said she wasn't going to allow Misa to die meant L was going to lose REGARDLESS of what happened. It was the biggest slap in the face to anyone who cared.
I agree. The way L was killed and everything after was stupid.

The Rem part really threw me for a loop the first time watching, because I didn't think that they'd reveal the way L would get killed off so early without introducing a new complication/twist (which they sort of did, because right after L says Light is Kira if he is killed in the next 3 days), but it was still pretty odd.

Maybe it was a regret on part of the writers, since no adaptation afterwards has kept it exactly the same.

>I agree that Light made major mistakes before that, but those were covered up

Those were covered up by written in conveniences. The whole thing where Ryuk/Rem conveniently mentioned the memory wipe thing right when they needed something like that felt stupid. The whole concept of that completely contradicts with the point of the deal where the first person who picks up the death note must have their name written in it by the Shinigami eventually.

>Misa saw L's name and forgot it.

She was kidnapped right after seeing it and held captive for about a month. I'm sure you'd forget something you only saw once after being held captive and questioned in a dire environment for about a month or more two.

>she ruined the story much more than Near or Mello.

I never got this "Near and Mello" ruined the story opinion. They weren't as fun as L (debatable since Mello was a fun wildcard) but they didn't ruin anything either. It feels like whenever I see these kinds of posts it's from people who are salty L died and just use the two to take it out on because they replaced him. Yes, Mello was a boring copy of L, but Mello? That shit he pulled was exciting.

To be fair, it was in English.
...But it was also literally 'L', so I guess that defense doesn't really stand.

I mean yeah but Misa was a major factor in killing L.

A lot of people have realized that the writer of Death Note isn't as amazing as we had thought. Usually people find this out after a second watch of the series where they're not as surprised by the hype and can easily analyze the holes or conveniences in the story that edge towards Light whenever he's about to give L an ace in the hole. If you want to have fun with this, go watch Death Note again up to the L's death and make a mental note whenever Light fucks up or gives L some hint to who he might be by his actions. I didn't go into my second watchthrough of DN like that myself, but I ended up noticing all the times Light fucked up way easier than when I did during my first introduction to the series.

Misa was the only reason why L died. She was literally the reason why Rem did it. As much as people want to joke on Misa or overestimate Light's intelligence, there was absolutely no way Light could find out L's name without the eye deal, something he was not going to do. Nobody knew who L was besides Watari and Wammy. We're led to assume all of L's information was kept secret by Wammy and was wiped like Mello's, so what was Light going to do?

is the 3part liveaction miniseries good?

Surprisingly, it is. People don't usually like the source material changing but the way they change stuff in this one is something fans really love and accept, even the creator praised this specific change and how creative it was. The third movie is more of a somewhat-kind-of-isn't-but-is-yet-necessary-yet-not spin-off thing. It makes more sense after watching the first two. To put it simply, the first two movies are the Death Note Saga while the third isn't.

Misa is a cutie, be nice to her

>We're showed later in the series that L takes his fuck ups out on poor little Misa, even having someone like Ryuk look at him in disgust for it.
>One faggot somehow thinks it's her fault after all the BS she had to endure over this overconfident fuck.

Light was portrayed to be a genius but did tons of shit that clearly showed his massive inferiority to L in terms of intelligence. I could go on with a List but I'll just give you two examples of Light being stupid. One is when he taunts L by telling his father he's sure there's more than one Kira out there (something like that, can't remember) right when L was going to be led off of Light due to some other instances. This not only brings L back on track to finding the real Kira, but it even made Light a prime suspect. There's also the part where Light tested his death note abilities by sending a blood message to L, only to have another incident turn that completely random message into a hint for finding Kira. He was just a college genius, nothing spectacular.

If you're talking about the Shinigami message, that was deliberate on his part.

It wasn't. Light used it to test his powers as well as taunt L while trying to lead him one a wild goose chase. He specifically says this and doesn't state otherwise ever. It then becomes a big hint for L when more evidence is brought up..

Yes, the Shinigami love apples message was made to taunt L. It was unintentional that it became a hint when Misa mentioned Shinigami in her message. Light couldn't really have foreseen that.

light is smarter than L, but only just

>eventually
Yeah, so, and. Ryuk was there out of boredom and viewed it all as a game. And he knew Light was going to come back as well. Are you high.

>And he knew Light was going to come back as well. Are you high.

It wasn't something exclusive to Ryuk and Rem could do it to. My point was that it contradicted the whole point of punishing the original holder for using the Death Note if it meant other people could end up using it and get off scott free, you mongoloid. Let's say Light just so happened to never get the note back. This would mean Ryuk would have to eventually right his name and fuck off with the other guy, whose name wouldn't get written because it isn't part of the rule... unless Ryuk just said fuck it and did it anyway.

There are a lot of things Light didn't foresee that came back to bite him in the ass. After all the times L got closer to catching him you'd think he wouldn't want to risk a situation where he accidentally gets talked uttering "shinigami", someone sees a flying apple being eaten or something similar, or it somehow getting out that shinigamis exist. To start with, he snooped on his father's cop stuff. If he hadn't changed his pattern after doing that, the task force wouldn't have been able to narrow it down so much so quickly. Killing Reye Pender would have narrowed down exactly who Kira was within a week if he didn't conveniently meet and kill Reye's wife who for some reason decided to give this random guy her real name because "MUH TRUST", despite having no actual reason to do so. Like, what? Was it supposed to be a sign of respect? I see no reason for her to do so other than the writer making someone stupid for a moment to help Light out. Near pointed out plenty of mistakes he made, like having Demegawa go after the SPK right after N said he suspected Kira was with the police.

Why he lost:
-Murders focused in Japan.
-He didn't deliberate with enough time on his crimes.
-He made it known he was a student.
-He didn't kill his father by having him killed by someone else.
-Because L had two autistic brothers that the developers wanted to pull out of nowhere.

>Light couldn't really have foreseen that.

Here are all the other things I could remember that light didn't foresee could have screwed him over but did so anyway. It's not an isolated thing.

>Not paying any heed to Ryuk's promise in chapter 1.
>Killing Lind L. Tailor.
>Killing Raye Penber, the FBI agents, and Naomi Misora.
>Overreacting in front of L just enough to raise his chances of being Kira by another 2%.
>Relying too heavily on Misa.
>Not doing the research on L's "Did you know I'm not the only one calling myself L?" semi-bluff. (LOL NEAR)
>Creating the fake "Destroy it, you die" rule for the Death Note before being incarcerated*.
>Taunting L with the blood message
>Taunting L through a conversation he had with his father that he knew was being monitored, implying that the
new Kira was a fake.
>Not letting Matsuda just fall to his death back in Yotsuba.
>Not killing Sayu when she was kidnapped by Mello.
>Using Soichiro's Death Note to kill Mello? Why don't you just shoot him?
>Letting Soichiro die so easily. (SWIMMING LESSONS, MATSUDA?!)
>Putting too much trust in Mikami.
>Putting too much trust in Takada.
>Killing Takada after she wrote down Mello's name.
>Not having Mikami keep any spare Death Note pages on him at all times.
>Paddling the school canoe? Oh, you better believe Near knows you're Kira.

I actually remember way more stuff but I don't think I need to list them all. Light's confidence screwed him over too many times for him to think this was a game, but I guess having the writer throw in conveniences that solved 90% of what I listed would make him confident enough to believe he was invincible. I mean, the writer gave him Rem, someone whose existence meant L was going to die 100% and regardless of the outcome. It wasn't going to be a tie so this meant Light was going to win 10 or so episodes prior to L's death.

The orphanage and 'organization' had been foreshadowed long before L died, and at that point I don't even think the two were even thought of yet. There's also more hints to it in the manga. They were more of a "here's a tiny hint as to how L started off" thing that just so happened to be an excuse to add more L's into the story later on.

>He didn't deliberate with enough time on his crimes
>He made it known he was a student

Why didn't he stay up sometimes to keep L off him? Sleep in school or anything else just so he won't get caught.

The author killed him

okay, user. I give you the death note and you must kill L within 1 year. if you don't you die, if you get caught you'll mysteriously die in police custody. how do you do it?

oh yeah, you can't use shinigami eyes and you don't know anything about L

It would have been easy to write in the notebook in class too. He didn't even need to do it at home.

Just write down random people's names each having them write a message saying "another will die every X amount of time until you kill yourself."

Literally go through a phoneboox, TV, newspaper, or internet. Either he'll give the name, kill himself, or just get killed by another person.

Light did nothing wrong, author was a giant pussy.

Write down people higher up in charge (maybe a president or something) to outlaw L and have him killed. L wouldn't be able to function freely and most likely have his assets freezed. I'll write it so they won't announce it at first and pretend to be on board with him, then get the FBI or some shit to tail watari and make it public the same time they try to move in one him. If they can't kill him via watari tracking he'll still lose a lot of options to catch me. You didn't put limits on what I could do besides no eyes, so I'll kill anyone I can to get to him. I'll die in a year if I don't so there's no reason for me to care about the world if I'm dead.

Make another person the bait, in order to find out information. Coerce him to commit a number of mysterious crimes by strict directives, capture the interest of L, and basically find a way to record the interrogation when he gets caught. But you make it appear that you're not a citizen of Japan to the proxy killer.

Pretty sure Rem wouldn't or couldn't because of Misa.

>it contradicted the point of punishing the original holder for using the Death Note
Yeah, I agree. Wasn't talking about that, however.

>Ryuk would have to write his name
Yeah, he would do so regardless as he'd be bored to death then.

>fuck off with another guy whose name wouldn't get written because it's not part of the rule
In that case, everyone who ever used the Death Note after Light (regardless if he lost his memory or not) would never get their name written in because they were not the first person who found the Death Note. Seems fine to me.

He didn't have any names besides using something like the newspaper but he could of put some of the names from the news on a normal piece of paper for later use. There's alot of basic shit Light could of done to keep his identity secret but plot was needed.

He fucked up when he immediately changed tactics after spying on his fathers investigation. That was how L reduced the number of people in japan from "literally everyone" to "someone who can access police files." It wouldn't matter if they figured out he was a student from the times he killed people, it's not like they could search through millions a students for a magical book they didn't expect to exist.

They got him because of a poorly written, gay, and uninteresting little NIGGER SHIT FUCK FACE

Doesn't it get tiring being the contrarian?

I wanted Mello to get him :(

yeah, mello was cool, I wish he had more screen time.

He was careless when he first got the book.

His location, time zone, schedules, personality, was all given away. Then it was a matter of triangulating suspects with access to the information needed to make these calls. I.E close to police offers, with relatives/children whom are high achieving students, etc

After that it was a matter of observation

Easily. If L didn't have his moral constraints, as real life government agencies don't, Light would've been erased very early on.
It isn't great overall, but surprisingly the best thing about it were the changes it made to the story.

He would have won if Mikami wasn't a moron.

Did Light tell him to keep the death note in the bank?

if a real life Light Yagami let loose with the notebook, do you think law enforcement agencies would be smart enough to find him and stop him?

>Taunting L with the blood message
The way L outsmarted him with the deductive test on this was one of the best parts of the series.

this desu senpai. i like to imagine that death note ended in episode 25

I legit had forgotten Takada existed up until this thread.

You know Kira probably wouldn't have become a big deal if L never tried to catch him. Considering all Light ever did until L confronted him was sit in his room and write names all day, Ryuk probably would have got bored and offed after a year at most.

i would be satisty if this nigger die altogether with Light

Mass surveillance would be massively turned up. If Light was careless at the start, they'd catch him easily.

I didn't really mind Near winning, it just showed how overconfident Light had gotten by that point that he let himself be tripped up by a shittier version of L.

Hell he even says to himself during the final confrontation that "L would have tested the notebook." He would have won if he had an extra contingency for that but instead just decided to assume Near was a shitter.

But even in the end it wasn't even that that fucked him over but putting too much faith in Mikami who was literally just some guy he'd only talked to on the phone once up until then.

I'm not sure, I think it would make for an interesting take on the series, Since there's certainly no real superdetective L, I think a real life Light would be able to take advantage of the bureaucratic/corrupt police system, the mistrust between police departments and intelligence agencies and international tensions.

how? Early on, Light usually operates from his room unless the situation is dire. If he just keeps writing names in his room there is basically now way they can catch him.

They'd look at his internet history.

Imagine the last episode if it was Misa there instead of Mikami.

incognito mode nigga

Incognito doesn't stop various data gathering and activity monitoring services like Google analytics from gathering info on where you've been on the internet.

I feel like i'm in the extreme minority who liked Mello as much as L yet hated the living shit out of Near.

Light was a megalomanaic that would have eventually started killing people that did no wrong just for not living up to his impossible standards.

Yeah but it was a cheat he could only play once.

Since whenever Rem did that they'd die too. Which mean that Light played his best card and didn't have it to save him later on.

light is genius, surely he knows how to cover up his tracks online

this series was good despite L dying and those two autists taking his place

is there anything else like it? something that involves a chess game-like situation and is as close to reality as possible (i.e. without different powers/special attacks/RPG shit/capeshit/asspulls etc)

Kaiji, Akagi, Liar Game.