I haven't watched or downloaded anime in about 5 years. Is MPC-HC still the preferred video player...

I haven't watched or downloaded anime in about 5 years. Is MPC-HC still the preferred video player? I updated mine and it's having trouble playing HEVC2 EAC3 labeled videos.

General video thread I guess, what all has changed in the past few years?

Is streaming good yet? Is VLC still garbage?

please respond

yes, with kcp

mpv

I haven't confirmed it yet, but where the hell did you download that? The latest version is 1.7.x, and it also has internal LAV decoders inside it. You can also download CCCP, but it has an outdated version, in which you can't save screenshots with a decent JPG quality.

Windows Media Player is wear it's at now.

If you're running on anything that isn't a potato and has some resources to spare. MPC +Madvr. It's honestly sad how rarely I see madvr mentioned

Filter fags are the worst . They don't do anything. Op just stream bro

not the nigga you replied to but kill yourself

mpv.

I just tried Madvr with a handful of differnt settings and was pretty underwhelmed.

The hip new meme player is mpv. The cool kids club to download anime is AB.

On windows, MPC-HC with madvr or mpv.
On anything else, mpv.

Die.

What is Kcp? I'm out of the loop

A pretty old codec pack that haruhichan site recommended. Used to rival (cartel-supported) CCCP in the anime scene.

I'm going to stream on my 4k tv and no one can stop me!

Is there a reason streaming won't eventually catch up to downloading in the future? I agree that it isn't quite there yet, but it's close enough that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference and it seems the gap will only shrink with time.

Is CCCP still the way to go? Or should I try MPV like another user suggested.

It hasn't caught up yet so your question is moot

>Is there a reason streaming won't eventually catch up to downloading in the future?
Streaming is designed to be inferior to downloading. If it catches up it would BECOME downloading. Streaming is just lower quality download that you watch a piece at a time and the file is placed in your "Temporary" folder.

Really, the only thing you benefit from Streaming is anything broadcasted live. That is what streaming is designed for.

Are you having to actually re scale what you're watching?

I'd recommend you to download the latest MPC (and madvr, if you aren't running with a toaster), for reasons I stated before . I don't know if DXVA can already run hi10p though, so maybe you must turn it off in the LAV video decoder settings or something. If you only watch weeb stuffs it shouldn't have any problems.

Or maybe subbing to CR or Netflix to support the industry :^), t_b_h.

MPV.
Yes.

(((industry)))

Offtopic but are there any must see series I missed in the past 5 years while I was deployed? I'm currently downloading a few popular ones I've heard of, One punch man, Kobayashi dragon maid, and Kemono friends.

Understand the old lurk more thing, but it's difficult to do on Sup Forums because the board usually just talks about airing stuff, which I'm also getting back into. Please understand.

konosuba, FAGirl

Stop fighting for Zog

subject to >opinions but
Shinsekai Yori
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Shirokuma Café
Joshiraku
Kyousougiga (ONA, also a TV series in 2013 but I prefer the ONA)
Hyouka
Space Brothers
Girls und Panzer
Uchouten Kazoku
Non Non Biyori
Gatchaman Crowds
Watamote
GJ-bu
Aiura
Ping Pong
Shirobako
Barakamon
PriPara
Baby Steps
Osomatsu-san
Yuri Kuma Arashi
Hibike! Euphonium
Flying Witch
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Yuri!!! on ICE
Sakamoto desu ga?
Girlish Number
Youjo SenkiTsuki ga Kirei
3-gatsu no Lion
Flip Flappers
Made In Abyss
And Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is looking good
Also various sequels, Mushishi and Monogatari Series were the main ones for me

I download my anime from kissanime and then watch it in my phone, at my work.

English dubbed and muted, right?

Girlish Number, Keijo, Sabagebu.

mpv

>mfw I use mpv and have an AB account

>CR
>Supporting the industry
hmm I wonder where you came from.

Do you have autism?

YES -> MPV
NO -> MPC HC

At least mpv is not dead like mpc

Internet speed drops for some reason? the stream will either buffer or drop to a lower quality or bitrate if your lowered speed can't handle how you're currently watching.
Also if you're streaming you're most likely watching through a browser which I believe scales using bicubic instead of what external players like mpv and MPC can use such as spline and lanczos and the external players can also use shaders and enhanced algorithms such as RAVU, FSCRNN and NGU for even better scaling, although some of these issues may be fixed with libplacebo which Mozilla is interested in and an mpv dev is working on.
Also if I remember correctly I think browsers have only just started fully supporting the BT.709 colourspace which means your streams may or may not have fucked up colours, to see the difference find, on this board a webm of a scene and compare it to a downloaded version the colours are most likely off, easier to see with reds and greens in my experience.

if you don't have autism you don't belong here

Unfortunately both of those shows don't have a dub. But I usually watch dubs. But why muted though?

What makes mpv better than mpc? I like mpc. I don't want to change.

In the future, ask for recommendations at .

The word "streaming" is funny. http streaming is what people hate because of a lot of reasons but in short, it's shit. The lower quality is talking about is because the file is usually reencoded to cap bitrates to help with buffering.

p2p streaming is something different. It's basically streaming with a torrent client. This is the direction BitTorrent development is moving towards and there's already a lot of browser p2p streaming options. Netflix even tried to buy the technology. It's just like regular downloading except the client downloads the file in order from start to finish so that you can watch right away which could be slower depending on seeds unlike what clients usually do when they download parts from all over the file

It's really not. It's only memed on Sup Forums because they all have Linux.

mpv is better

No, it's not.

freetards will defend this

Remember to always use native software designed for your operating system, not some hacked together cross-compiled unoptimized software packaged in an unsigned binary.

Yes it is, Vulkan support soon.

Nice bait 11/9, made me reply.

Never. Streaming, and free streaming (with ads) especially, is all about cutting as much costs as you can so they're always going to reduce the video quality and size. There's also the fact that browser players don't have the functionality standalone players have, so signs won't look right unless they hardsub them, which ruins the video quality even further.

Yes, don't fall for the MPV meme.
The newest MadVR version fixed tons of shit.
Automatic refresh rate change actually work for dual monitor + TV setup now. Basically you can watch your anime in native 24Hz on your tv while your computer monitor is running at 60Hz now.

mpv does that too

Look, let's not. I'm tired of all OpenGL vs D3D consolewars. I'm also tired of you faggots and you usually don't know enough techshit and just spout memes. mpv is a good player and nothing said you can't have it on your machine. Just use the madvr setup for anime like a human being.

MPV cause I can't be bothered to configure MadVR.

Nice samefagging mpv autist.

Why not mpv setup for anime like a normal human bean.

>164208216
I'm saying mpv is not better here.

Ok, meant to reply to . My bad

mpv is better

Because of a lot of reasons but two quick ones: madvr produces superior quality and it actually displays subtitle correctly.

all you need

This is the first time I've seen a person with a taste so similar to my own.

Mpv is garbage for not having a GUI.

>b-but muh CLI
No fuck off, normal people don't want to bother with command line autism.

normal people don't belong on Sup Forums

>t.I've never used mpv
mpv's subtitle renderer is superior to whatever mpc users, as for picture quality mpv also wins.

>GUI

mpv has a gui tho.

Kill yourself already.

You don't need to tuse a terminal though?

Not an argument, mpv wins.

See, this is what I'm talking about. You don't know shit and just spout memes. Fuck off. When you watch more than a hundred anime, you'll actually see the broken typesetting I'm talking about. I also have mpv on my machine you retard.

Nothing wrong with CLI or mpv, it's just mpv offer nothing but disadvantages when it comes to anime.

I know madvr doesn't render subtitles, that's xysubfilter job but libass(mpv's subtitle renderer) is superior and more up to date than xysubfilter(I think the last update was in 2013).

Anyone using SVP?

>it's just mpv offer nothing but disadvantages when it comes to anime.
Is the other way around memeboi, madvr works better with live action content and mpv is better for anime(the devs are a bunch of weebs).

Die.

>Faking 60fps
Just buy a decent tv and set it to 24hz.

You don't know what you're talking about. madvr's NGU works great for anime. You open source autists need to fuck off back to .

>last update was 2013
But regardless, you don't need to give him an actual rebuttal. His argument has just been "fuck off you're spouting memes" and "use madvr you'll see".

aegisub uses xy-vsfilter as default so any complex typesetting made between 2006 and as recent as 2015 (or even now because not everyone will check for compatiblity) is likely to break with libass. Now, fuck off.

No, it doesn't you cum guzzling faggot. You just meme about.

watch the Maid Dragon and Amanchu as well.

>No, it doesn't you cum guzzling faggot. You just meme about.
Not an argument, every upscaler in mpv is fine tuned for anime unlike madvr's NGU(oil paint asf).
libass werks perfectly in my machine while xy-vsfilter can't render some parts on commies release.

I found Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu absolutely lovely, but if you don't like it at the first episode it probably won't do much for you. It was really interesting to watch it and Konosuba while they were airing, since they were both DEEN productions released side by side.

don't troll

MPV or Kodi if you are into media center like me. Or Kodi with MPV as external player.
MPC was always shitty btw.

>xy-vsfilter
No such thing exists. VSFilter isn't the same thing as XySubFilter, which is the better one.

>btw
Kill yourself.

>oil paint asf
Why do I even bother with you retards? Have fun with things like pic-related (which wasn't about mpv but a good example of a common libass error).

>xy-vsfilter can't render some parts on commies release
Try it with xy-subfilter, or try the allow it to drop frames option. Or don't, I'm not the not being a total faggot police.

mpv doesn't have that problem, what release of Shinkoukei is that one and I'll show you mpv renders it just fine.

I'm not the user who uploaded it originally but it's probably Underwater. Also, this whole point to a specific release thing won't work because different versions of vsfilter breaks different versions of libass (and I also don't have an eidetic memory). I've seen releases with subtitle problems with libass that was fixed later, and issues that come and go with different versions. Just watch enough anime, and you'll see a lot of these errors if mpv is your anime daily driver. At least have both on your machine so that when you suspect broken subtitlet, you can make sure it's a renderer issue not an issue in the subs themselves.

I once found a broken subtitle using xy-subfilter, it was on commie's Tsukimonogatari release when Araragi looks at some text messages in his phone.

I see people shilling mpv hard, is it really worth making the switch when all I need is updating MadVR and whatever video decoder I'm using ?

I use Plex, which also uses mpv.

I haven't bothered to download anytime in years, I stream my animes.

>Plex
Do you also watch your chinese cartoons on your living room sitting on a sofa ? Fucking NERD.

>use plex
>internet isn't fast enough to load the file
just fuck me up

I only really stream from my local server.
I mostly use it because I have a boner for metadata and I appreciate how it keeps track of where I'm up to with everything making it easy to pick up shows in my backlog.

Sometimes I'll use it on my phone, TV or in the car, that's just a bonus.

Could be dropped frames among other possible reasons. Make sure you're allowing the filter to drop frames when the computer can't handle them.

You know what, I remembered one. Try the DanMachi logo in the ED in FFF's release. It used to get broken with libass.

>I only really stream from my local server.
Same here but it still doesn't load fast enough.

You don't even have to use command line with it, everything works just fine by just downloading the newest version and the using it.
Even without any configuring, it's better than any other player out there...

that doesn't make any sense.
if it looks like it's buffering it's probably because it's trying to convert it and your server isn't powerful enough to do it, or your WIFI is too slow.
If you WIFI was too slow it would automatically convert it down enough that it would work.
So it sounds to me like you're trying to play formats the client doesn't support natively and the server (whatever PC or box that hosts the Plex and its files) is too weak to transcode them on the fly.

Local streaming does not push the stream over the internet at all.

He probably still means he's streaming from his local server at home through the internet.

this.
I'm a windowsfag and I never needed the commandline to configure mpv.
It all just works, and I can specify things like "webm loop" and "scale small videos to this % of the screen" using the config file in notepad.
As a result I've got a small, portable player that just works the way I want it on any computer with a sleek look.

>...
Fuck off.