Well this was shit. Why spoil everything that happens in the first scene...

Well this was shit. Why spoil everything that happens in the first scene? Why insist the little girl is cute when the terrible artstyle gives everyone ugly faces?
Is the point of this movie that the brother was an idiot and got his sister killed? It seems to try really hard to suggest the opposite of that. The aunt was sort of bitchy but nothing she said was really incorrect.
Honestly, saying that the brother was a manifestation of Japanes Imperialism whose pride and good intentions only lead to the destruction of his sister (daughter and homeland) doesn't seem like terrible symbolism. But my issue is that this doesn't feel like the intended message of the film at all. Am I just not giving it enough credit in that regard?
This was like a neutered version of When the Wind Blows that thinks not shying awat from gorey scenes and the death of children is a suitable replacement for believable and charming character building through dialogue. Both movies suck though and are pseudoemotional animated versions of Oscar bait. Maybe if Takahata was a good director he would be able to guid the viewer's emotions without relying so blatantly on the generic film score.
I'm sorry if any of you like this, but I'm mad. This was one of my rainy day movies. I avoid watching movies that I am "certain" I will enjoy so that I can watch them on particular days when the stars are aligned and I really need a quality film. This was a colossal disappointment.

I still don't understand why he didn't get money out of the bank earlier if he could've done so.

>Is the point of this movie that the brother was an idiot and got his sister killed?

yes

Exactly. The only way this movie makes any sense is if the brother is supposed to deserve everything that happens to him and the sister is supposed to be an innocent victim.
Why didn't he explain his situation and ask about his father after the officer saved him from the farmer? Why didn't he try to find a job or at least offer to do chores around the house after the aunt aired out her totally reasonable grievances?
Why would a wandering group of wartime kids destroy a bunch of free food and only steal an empty pot? And why wouldn't they return to steal more shit or even get referenced one time by the main characters after their scene ends?

i feel the same way as you op to be quite honest

>caring about being spoiled
Are you new to anime?

Okay well that does raise the quality of the film a bit, but why does the movie seem to suggest that he is a heroic character and justified in every scene? The tone of the movie suggests that everything would be fine for him if not for the crapsack world he lived in. Is this a failure of the dubbing team? Would the original VAs get this point across clearer to me?
I think it's interesting if that is the point of the movie. I'm just not convinced that it is. Is there a case you could make citing examples from the movie that directly suggest Seita is supposed to be in the wrong?

That is the point, he is a child that acts childishly in a time of crisis instead of learning to be responsible.

Watch In This Corner of the World.

>watching dubs
Opinion discarded.

spoiling the ending isn't even exclusive to anime. romeo and juliet tells you the end immediately, as an example. it's a way to try to get you to a point where you say "i know terrible shit is gonna happen but i don't want it to happen, i want it to work out for the chars" but unfortunately if the execution is too shitty (like it is in this movie) then it feels kinda pointless.

That looks interesting. Does it handle this material better than Grave does?
You aren't the first to reply saying that was the point of the movie. What am I missing? Obviously I did come to those conclusions when watching the movie but I felt like I had to fight the movie every step of the way to draw that lesson.

Retard tripfag worked himself into a shoot over some toons.

I get it but Ghibli dubs are usually good and I want to be able to take in the animation first and foremost. I'd be willing to watch again if it honestly does make Seita's failures more blatant.
Go back to /bestboard/

>tripfag
>being this retarded
Sasuga.
Hell, Takahata even tells people what the fucking moral of the story is and yet you still can't figure it out. Amazing.

Grow a chin, faggot

If he has to tell people rather than show people than he was shit at his job.

where did he say this because wiki says "Instead, Takahata had intended to convey an image of the brother and sister living a failed life due to isolation from society and invoke sympathy particularly in people in their teens and twenties"

Your opinion is more retarded than any tripfag's.
OP, I agree with you completely. I actually had to turn the movie off halfway through because I got so angry at this shitty little cunt. Yes, it's a horrible situation, but we have a duty to protect those we love and those weaker than us no matter what. The movie could've worked if it had condemned the boy's actions at least a little bit.

yea this. i had no ability to feel sad or sympathetic towards their situation since it was a result of his stupidity and stubbornness.

You can convey a lesson through positive consequences and negative ones, the movie can convey the negative connotations of being selfish/childish in a really strong way by showing a story taking place in extreme times, and drives the lesson home by the fact that the kid's actions kill both him and his sister.

>Well this was shit

Correct. Barefoot Gen is better.

holy FINNA CRINGE

Yeah, OK, we've understood that you hate the Japanese and find them all ugly. Now you can kill yourself.

SEETHING

The kid is Japan in WWII. Does dumb shit because of pride. Get his shit slapped for it.

>The movie could've worked if it had condemned the boy's actions at least a little bit.
You mean like how he and his sister both die?

>Is the point of this movie that the brother was an idiot and got his sister killed?
In broad strokes, yes.

ya got worked pinhead
have sex

>Suicide
Now that's interesting. I thought Setsuko's death was odd and had thought of that briefly. But seeing Seita's death in the context of a self-imposed suicide does make the ending more fascinating. Seems like the book may be the real work of art here.
The movie makes them both look like victims. It's shlock. It's cheese. It's sap. It doesn't understand it's own content. Look how braindead Takahata is in that interview. He contributes nothing.

>does it handle this material better than Grave does?
Absolutely not, but you couldn't even appreciate GotF, so I doubt you'll enjoy it anyways.

>The movie makes them both look like victims
They are? Just because the boy makes poor decisions that eventually to his sister's death doesn't make them any less victims.

>It's shlock. It's cheese. It's sap.
Subjective, but sure.

>It doesn't understand it's own content.
The idea that you think anything with that kind of content has to be "Oscar bait" doesn't seem to indicate you understood the point of it either. Hell, you have to be told the kid's actions are not meant to be seen as heroic.

Get a load of this seething pinhead

You know what to do

BASED

REPEAT AFTER ME: AUNT DID NOTHING WRONG.

>be OP
>use smallest image ever made

A Gut.
Grow one.