Devilman Crybaby

You guys hyped for Yuasa's next masterpiece?

Production of Devilman Crybaby has already been completed with months before it airs.

Kiyotaka Oshiyama is directing and storyboarding an episode, Takashi Kojima and Tomohisa Shimoyama have solo episodes (direction, storyboard and key animation)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/a_kurashima/status/908234010299572224
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=16428
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Okay, but how involved is Uncle Go?

Flash tweening will probably ruin some of the scenes like it did in Yuasa's recent movies. That blemish aside, I'm quite hopeful for the anime.

Yuasa can't keep getting away with it

It's fucking Devilman, so yeah. But it's kinda sad that Ryo's design already is shit.

Question is will we even get his movies subbed before then?

Fuck sideburns.

If it ends like the manga then I will be very happy. I really love that ending.

Who knows, glad I got to see Night is Short in cinema and will see Lu in cinema soon.

Meant for you

how can i get hyped for an adaptation of fucking trash?

Post the different versions, then.

>Okay, but how involved is Uncle Go?
None at all. Go is just a manga artist.

You're a tool.

Not at all, Yuasa made it look like a burgerstan cartoon with flash animation and changed the iconic designs.

It's trash

The manga artist who made the original Devilman, so I don't see why he wouldn't be involved at any level.

Devilman purist faggots need not apply.

Choi should just fuck off already.
Her Flash shit is killing Yuasa.

Anyone got full translations or just the original text of what was being said today at this event?

All you get is short tweets from things like this.

How many more Devilman will they keep churning out until the franchise dies for real?

He's right, though.

Tell me some American cartoons that look similar.

Castlevania

Samurai Jack.

Morons.

I don't like the flash style and have no love of devilman but Yuasa's always worth a look, and even if the show sucks solo episodes are rare and exciting.

Oh sure he's involved, not just significantly.

As with most adaptations of his works, he just gives a few directives to go on, and then the staff just makes whatever.

He can't waste too much time on adaptations when he's already busy with his own manga. He's currently working on Devilman Saga and Gekiman: Mazinger chapter (Resuming it after he was done with Cutie Honey chapter)

Interviews make it sound more like his flash shit than hers.

I was put off by the trailers but surprised at how unobtrusive the tweening felt when I saw Lu. Haven't seen the other one yet, so can't comment on that.

People make a big deal over nothing with this flash shit. The vast majority of the time in the Science Saru films I have watched it is virtually indistinguishable. It is only really abruptly noticeable when they use it for scenes that wouldn't usually be done in anime.

Obviously I (and they) don't consider it nothing

That's alright user. I'm just stating that it actually has very little impact on anything at all most of the time so I don't really see it as something worthy of the amount of attention it gets. It's not even as if it is unique in anime to Yuasa to use Flash, shows like Yozakura Quartet widely praised for their animation are full of it.

Wait till its out and then complain. Flash by itself is just a medium you can animate on, like paper. A lot of animation in anime is being in flash nowadays especially by the new guys.
The tweening is what gives it a somewhat different look and feel but even that can look great. And if done right it could enhance the density of great animation in one episode.

They ARE out though, I watched both. I know what flash is.

yes I'm extremely excited.

So its already confirmed that Sirene will appear and find her end in episode 5. The whlole anime is 10 episodes long. Isnt that way too fucking late? I expected them to rush through the first two volumes by episode 3. Hope they dont rush it and fuck up the ending

Remember me?

Where was this confirmed?

But you dont know how they utilize it in Devilman. The way movies and tv shows get produced is quite different. With every episode having another animation director and so on.
Even his two movies felt quite different visually.

Not to mention with such a new production process they are probably learning and improving all the time.

Their twitter account posts images from the script from time to time and the script of episode 5 seemed to have shown the dialogue between sirene and Kaim. And you know how that one ends.
Some one who can read moon should confirm what the dialogue is about.

twitter.com/a_kurashima/status/908234010299572224

Is there nowhere they talk about Sirene in the manga after?

I believe I have enough grounds to say "I don't like the flash style" though.

Nothing about her comes up later on. So it seems like they have a lot of filler stuff in the first 4 episodes before shit really goes down. Or the pacing is really damn slow.

What is "the flash style"?

Or maybe it's out of order. Even the different manga editions of Devilman swapped stuff around.

It doesn't matter if Sirene or Jiren is first for example.

Of course. I am just saying its not that unlikekly that you might like Devilmans style of flash animation as its the first TV production from yuasas new studio and we have some great art directors, animators etc on board.

I agree.
In the PV he looked like that faggot from ACCA with bowl undercut. It looked more retarded

Yeah I think I expressed a lot of openness in my original post

The style of animation unique to flash

I have no attachment to the manga or the original design so I couldn't really care less about sticking to the original. Sticking slavishly to the source material is never a good way to make an adaptation.

There is no such thing.

If you had to guess what I meant by flash style, what would you say?

First two ova's did a good job

>>aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. It's a poor choice of phrasing at the least. You'd probably be better of saying "style of flash animation" rather than "flash style" if that is what you mean.

There are a number of stylistic choices that prominent animators who use Flash in anime tend towards but none of those are things unique to the program or necessary results of using the program to animate in. Then there is Yuasa's specific way of using Flash but you could really be referring to any, all or none of these things.

If this show isnt set in the 70s which I would have liked more than there is no point to keep the same designs.

Okay then pretend I said style of flash animation

I mean most people would never even notice, mention or know that a Shingo Yamashita cut in their show will have been done in Flash for example.

What's your point?

That "flash style" isn't a thing and animation made in flash can look all sorts of ways.

I didn't mean to imply flash couldn't look all sorts of ways, just that certain ways can be characterized as uniquely flash.

Mysterious Girlfriend X used 80's style in morden setting and it was fine. Osomatsu is using its design from 60's.
Setting is irrelevant.

Two out of the three people I have read posting on twitter from the talk event today have said positive things about the OST.

I don't think the OST can be as good as the 80s OVAs

Did they show or talk about new footage from the anime?

I think they were just talking with the soundtrack playing from what I understand. There was a post on the official twitter the other day suggesting a new PV this month though.

>I have no attachment to the manga or the original design so I couldn't really care less about sticking to the original.
I have no attachment to Masaaki Yuasa or his works, so I couldn't give a damn about his designs.

All I wanted was a Devilman adaptation with the iconic Nagai designs. All the previous animated spinoffs / adaptations showed that it's possible to update Nagai's designs for animation without having to ditch them completely. It's hard for me to give a damn when Akira looks like this.

Looks pretty good to me.

He doesn't look like Akira, what's the point?

At least with Nagai's Mazinger Z Infinity which came out in the cinemas a few days ago, I can easily recognise Kouji Kabuto, even if his character design was updated.

Dunno, just saying that I like the character designs.

I don't give a damn about it. Right now it just looks like another Yuasa, when it was an opportunity to bring Nagai's designs to life. I'm not particularly impressed with the demons I saw in the PV either. They all look completely uninspired compared to to the source material. Every other studio that worked on Nagai material has managed to update his visuals with great success. Why couldn't Yuasa do the same?

Maybe he thinks this looks better like I do?

>Yuasa
>masterpiece
What a joke

Then he has shit taste and shouldn't have been given the honour to work on Devilman. 40 years of Nagai adaptations don't lie. In that case he should have just made Kemonozume 2 rather than sticking Devilman's name on it.

Did you even look at Ryo in the PV? He was supposed to look really pretty, but he's ugly as fuck. That bob cut is awful looking.

Leave the designs to CLAMP. At least they knew how to make Devilman pretty.

Enjoy your sideburns.

Honestly, if Devilman Crybaby sucks ass, Yuasa will be entirely to blame. He's already knee capping his production by going with bowlcut Ryo. Just look at this shit. Adaptations were supposed to look better than the source material, not worse.

Autism.

I'm not fond of the crybaby designs either, but you're over-reacting.
>Yuasa will be entirely to blame
You don't even know who made the decision to modernize the designs.

>Adaptations were supposed to look better than the source material, not worse.
You fucking what

Mugen?

Did you people say the same thing when Aku no Hana aired? I guess we all had autism because we couldn't deal with characters looking like shit. I remember the entirety of Sup Forums going apeshit, so don't be a hypocrite.

>You don't even know who made the decision to modernize the designs.
Those design abominations aren't what I would call "modernizing". Look to Cyborg 009 vs Devilman or the old OVAs and see how it's done.

The original manga was rushed as fuck though. Went from Sirene to rapemob apocalypse to fucking lucifer in just a few chapters

Go Nagai is obviously fine with it seeing as his company are one of the three involved in funding it.

>The original manga was rushed as fuck though.
Nope. The pacing was standard for the time. It was rare to find manga that went even above 10 volumes.

It's just now that mangafags today are so used to neverending shit like Naruto and One Piece.

Probably because it's the cheaper alternative. There's no way Nagai's company would get enough sponsors to fund a traditionally well animated Devilman TV series while keeping the costs down.

What are you even talking about? Netflix is known for dropping huge amounts on anime, the budget for this is likely huge compared to a regular show.

I mean we do know who it was. The character designer who is most likely the animation director and Yuasa himelf probably designed those characters.

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=16428
Its her

How do you know it's funded by Netflix? Netflix probably just bought the streaming rights to it and presenting it as an anime original.

Thats why I was expecting the latter parts of the manga to be given more development time. But with Sirene only at ep 5, we dont have much time for all the other stuff. Well, hopefully it works out in the end.

It's a Netflix exclusive show, its not on TV anywhere in the world. There are no "streaming rights" in the traditional sense.

Why do so many people pretend to like Go Nagai? Do they think they're being really funny, edgy, or ironic by saying they like poorly-drawn poorly-written lowbrow shit?

>But with Sirene only at ep 5
This means nothing. The different manga versions had always swapped the chapters around. They're maybe setting Sirene as the final boss rather than Devilman's first fight.

>we dont have much time for all the other stuff. Well, hopefully it works out in the end.
I don't understand the people who want to extend the last 2 volumes of the manga even more. Supplementary materials exist for that, but they shouldn't be in the main work.

I even see people advocating for more demon fighting in the last arc as if it was some shounen battle manga, again, completely missing the point of this manga. A lot of it is left to your imagination for a good reason.

Because muh influence.