Why was digimon never as popular as pokemon? Were the monster designs too inconsistent?

Why was digimon never as popular as pokemon? Were the monster designs too inconsistent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aKykLbWSRT8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Some digimon designs are very cool, but Pokemon designs were WAYYY more consistent and memorable. Also some Digimon don't look even look like monsters, they just look straight up human. The worst digimon designs are worse than the worst pokemon designs. Pokemon designs are usually more simple and aesthetically pleasing, Digimon is just that tryhard teenager adding guns, spikes and metal to animals.

didn't have nintendo behind it.

dumb isekai

> as much as I love Digimon I have to agree with this.

And yeah, the design is inconsistence. And I kind of hate the newer designs after savers, Their ditching the classic Aquatic design, Animal theme to a robot or knight design thing. But thats just me

Shitty video games and card game. The anime was better but it was supposed to just be an advertisement for the product.

>Shitty video games
You take that back. Digimon World was one of the best PS1 games.

The evolution system is annoying, and the names are harder to say. And the game, obviously.

Sleep in Renamon's FLUFFY tail

I liked how their evolutionary lines branch off and stuff like that instead of a single line. Also how different digimon can evolve into the same one, as if indicating a relation between them.

>poop simulator 1999

It's a whole image set, so yes.

Didn't anyone play Cyber Sleuth? That was actually pretty good.

Glad they kept it in the new DW. The world feels alot smaller though, might be because I was fucking retarded as a kid and it took me ages to get anywhere.

I found one or two of them, how do I find all of them?

Not him.

Thosee RPG ones, I only played World 3, DS, Dawn and Dusk. Is Cyber Sleuth like them? Anf fun like them?

Cyber Sleuth is basically the like previous Story games but also SMT/Persona lite. So yes, I'd say.
If you like any of the above you should be able to get some enjoyment from it, even if it gets a little grind-heavy at times.

Not cute enough

Pokemon have somewhat simpler designs which make them more appealing in general.

Cool. Guess I'll buy it when it gets a discount or when I find it under a better price. Maybe used or something.

Bullying Angewomon in her breasts

It's the sequel to the ds games so yes you will imagine.

Actually there is less grinding in cyber sleuth than in the ds games since you don't have to worry about species ecp bullshit.

Maybe some people didn't like how Digimon always become more human like as they evolve. Most Ultimate level Digimon are just humans in fantasy cosplay.

They tried to have the series grow up with their viewers and hit the brick walls known as shounen and WSJ.

Hard to compete with the original, as a knock-off.

I didn't mind it, but I kinda had a problem how they always went the dragonball way of starting small and then working up to it. Sure, the first few times you unlock an evolution you wouldn't go right away to the newest stage, but after a few episodes while you are used to it already you should skip to the final form.

Digimon predates pokemon though

Too gay.

Man this season wasn't bad but the transformation stuff really weirded people out. Also you can really notice a big budget drop between Tamers and this.

Accurate

Sadly this. When growing up I loved Digimon, but even I compared it as a knock-off to pokemon.
"look, thats like charmander (Agumon) and that's like squirtel (fucking Gabomon) and so on.
Atleast McDonalds gave you a card pack when you bought a happy meal, but you could just bye the pack for 10kr = 1$
Brother encouraged me to keep collecting the cards as he thought it would be the new fad on the school ground. (we controlled the school ground, by betting on this shit and winning most of the time (and cheating)
It went like; Pogs, go-go's (or some shit knock-off, no one could tell the differens), pokemon, then it jumped to focking Yu-gi-oh! cards and skipped digimon completly.

Pokemon - 1996, Digimon Tamagochi - 1997

HAHAH
still choosing Digimon every day

Tamers wwas the last good one. But thats probebly where they got the transformation idea from. Atleast it was at the end and made more "sense"

What's worse is that the show ended up being formulaic as fuck so trying something new with the transformations didn't really pay off, all it did was push fans away because at the fourth instalment of a series they're already hanging on by a thread.

Digimon design got ridiculous while Pokémon designs stay relatively simple, even in newer games.

Also waifu rankings: Duel Monsters > Digital Monsters > Pocket Monsters

I thought savers was allright it was the third best season in my opinion

>Pokemon: cute animals with some light fantasy sprinkled in, evolve into a bigger but still animistic creatures; animalised objects.
>Digimon: start as cute fantasy creatures, end up as ether mecha or some greek myth-tier demi-gods with DAKKA.

Gee, i wonder what would little kids find more appealing and memorable.

Imagine how velvety smooth her vagina must feel

Not enough incest.

Why did they give Renamon breasts with her new figure?

yes

You should have posted the ultimate waifu made from the 4 dimensional waifus

Poke waifus easily top all those series waifus unless you are a monstergirlfag

might watch it then.
As said. 5th season was to off-putting

But she's not anyone's biological sister.

I prefer Gal Monsters

The >>myth-tier demi-gods with DAKKA.

ohh man. Don't I just jerked it

No

You should it has the best villain in the franchise and one of the best insert songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=aKykLbWSRT8

Videogames. As easy as that. You played pokemon on your GBA and watched the anime. Besides a shitty PS game, the digimon line wasn't there for children.

Anyone have the image of the girl surrounded by 3 muscular digimon?

What about Megaten and DQM? I suppose not having anime for years doesn't help much.

I bet you played as ami and put her face in Gankoomon's bulge.

Demons are out of competition. Never played DQM thought

Aren't those personas?

2deep4pleb kids

Of course having been born patrician I preferred it

>2deep4pleb kids

You mind explaining?

Well some Digimons do look like shit, no offense. I've always found Pokemon more appealing and aesthetically pleasing

I have never seen this digimon in my entire life, what is he and where is he from?

>Besides a shitty PS game, the digimon line wasn't there for children.
You're not wrong.

>Demons are out of competition.
Why?
>Never played DQM thought
It's pretty much DQ with standard collect'em mechanics. I played the shit out of the old GBC game and the Joker games were pretty good too.

Cheeky.

Yes

Kids have pleb tastes. Which explains Sup Forums‘s tastes, as most people here either are underage or have the mental age of a preteen.

Of course Savers were great, it had Masaru "Punch It" Daimon.

I'm saying explain what makes Digimon so good.

Because the generic pokemon design appeals more to the normalfags with their whole taking an animal, cuteify it with one or two foreigner bits and call it a day. Even literal garbage pokemon are meant to be cute and cute sells considering there's entire shows about cute people/creatures doing cute things.

There's also the little fact that nintendo has always aggressively advertised the shit out of pokemon while digimon only recently has seen an above average exposition instead of being poorly advertised.

The last time I watched Digimon was Digimon Frontier. I remember the monster designs looking pretty cool in that series and the evolutions/transformations being badass.

I don't feel like it user. It's a loaded question because you're jonesing to pick apart the answer. If you don't already know why digimon is good why are you in a digimon thread?

The second BanchoLilymon is added to a Digimon Game I will buy it. It's like they took the best Ultimate from the original 8 digidestined partner digimon and made her better.

I just want to raise a partner Palmon into Togemon, then Lilymon, then BanchoLilymon.

Wow it's like returning or potential new fans isn't a thing.

Surfymon. Dunno where he's from though, all I know is that his design was hot garbage even among fans. Here's another with a similar level of absurdity

>, it had Masaru "Punch It" Daimon.
I know, but people don't seem to understand the greatness of based kenka banchou.

But the original was megami tensei, which pokemon shamelessly stole from and also got some elements from dragon quest while it was at it

>cs
>good
Sup Forums tricked me into buying it and i hate them for it.

All the banchous are great, a bunch of super powered delinquent digimon are based as fuck.

I mean, the games were an integral part of the franchise and Digimon games were always sort of iffy while Pokemon games are relatively consistent.

The World and Story games are either really good or rather bad, and then the spin-offs aren't that great compared to the god-tier Pokemon spinoffs like Conquest and Mystery Dungeon.

What ere you talking about? Pokemon design is great. Some of them are legendary some of them bad. But the artist knows what they doing. Yes its' appeal for everyone: old and young. But Digimons design is epitome tasteless 14 yo edge

Exactly why it failed. It was far more complex than just run in bush, throw ball, get pokemon, or choose attack, get crit, win battle.

Of course, they're a fantastic group of high power-level Digimon with neat backstory, I just like BanchoLilymon the best.

>kr
Fellow danefag? I remember the happymeal cards

>Not mentioning Ranger
For what purpose.

>pokemon
>great

It caters to the lowest common denominator, they are popular but not exactly great designs

>minigame spamming
>complex
????????

Whoops, knew I missed one. Yeah, the Ranger games are comfy as fuck.

>they are popular but not exactly great designs
Pokemon designs are well acknowledged by artists over world. Post great designs

Mystery dungeon is so good, like eos is like better than most mainline games

Even at their worst, digimon has decent storytelling and even their often only decent games had good characters and acceptable plots. The average kid probably found them to be too intellectual for them compared with pokemon's impossibly simple "here's your blood sports slaves, become the champion" excuse plots.

Care to mention who are said artists and a link to them saying how they admire pokemon design? And no, just because some random ass artist in deviantart says they are good doesn't count, it has to come from recognized artists

>It caters to the lowest common denominator
That means it's great design.

Deoxys, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon, Torchic, Mudkip, Swampert, Blastoise, Staraptor, Cradily, Lileep, Jirachi, Latios, Latias, Darkrai, Heatran, Crawdaunt, Blaziken, Sceptile, Popplio, Metagross, and plenty more.

>literal school delinquent furries/mons
Wtf this is why I stopped following Digimon and I'm glad that I did

>eos is like better than most mainline games

EOS' story is better than a ton of JRPGs, let alone just Pokemon, it was great. The plot twists and feels were everywhere.

>original
That's not pokemon either faggot

I agree, but a lot of the story also felt like it was recycled from the first game

It's the creepy trademark eyes.

The most recognizable digimon like Agumon are ugly as sin and generally unappealing(mostly due to the eyes) so despite being beloved by fans, they drive newcomers away.

Yes but for now, post definition of good design without using buzzwords. And post great design.

You mean Rescue Team, or Explorers of Time?