Scanlation thread

What are you working on?

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-10-31/japanese-police-arrest-9-tied-to-haruka-yume-no-ato-manga-linking-site/.123421
re-haruka.com/forum.php?mod=announcement&id=10#10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So apparently people affiliated with haruka got arrested now, months after the website disappeared:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-10-31/japanese-police-arrest-9-tied-to-haruka-yume-no-ato-manga-linking-site/.123421

And apparently re-haruka is closing down too? re-haruka.com/forum.php?mod=announcement&id=10#10

I really wonder where uploaders are going to post links now. Looks like there's a raw holocaust incoming, bad news for people relying on public ones.

Sounds like big bad news in general.

No shit, two private raw forums I was on are closing down too

Fuck me just when everything was going back to normal.

The fuck is going on? Did the Japanese police wake up all of a sudden?

The only sites with their own raws I see left now are mangamura, nanaichi and youbook (they seem to have restricted access to images finally)

IIRC re-haruka admin also owns shobonnexus (this site doesn't close down it seems) so closing down might be only because he wants to avoid being affiliated

uploaders should move to amoeba

They were busting people uploading on P2P regularly. DDL sites were always considered safe but now they started targeting the ones ran by people in Japan. Would be cool if someone who lives in a safe country made an alternative but it probably won't happen. Anyway I think all uploaders are spooked now.

Any thoughts on the quality of the digital RAWs from honto? I've been ripping from there for awhile, but was just curious if EBJ or BookWalker had better quality on their digital versions.

How do you rip from honto? Last time I bought ebooks from there a year or two ago everyone I asked said there was no way to do it.

Does/Will this affect hentai?

Always depends on the publisher, rip a sample and you will know how good quality will be on the full book. EBJ and BW don't have public tools anyway unless you just screenshot that is.

Scripts floating around somewhere.

Damn, that sucks. I hate having to buy books multiple times on different platforms just to compare. I guess I'll stick with honto.

Everything usually gets uploaded on sadpanda by gaijins first so probably not. There are some shitty Japanese doujin sites like doujinantenna that scan raws in atrocious quality and there are some Japanese people scanning doujinshi for sadpanda that might get scared.

There is a script on jcafe but it's limited to epub books and some other guy made a tool for a different format later

That's why I said you can rip the 立ち読み, no need to buy stuff

Retard question: what's wrong with manga-zip?

They don't seem to provide any raws of their own, they basically rehost what people provided on haruka and re-haruka

Does youbooks actually charge you anything or is that just shit to pass off as a legit site?

I tried registering with a made up CC number and it denied me so I assume they check it somehow? There's no way anyone sane would give them a real one though. Besides their raws are garbage anyway, they're probably going to close down as soon they realize nobody's going to pay for it. It makes me mad they have some stuff no other sites have and they shit on perfectly good raws like that.

Reminder to turn off caps lock and stop doing this shit

There are plenty of DDL alternatives for ESL, elevens are just xenophobes.

nani?

200 doujin, tanks and artbooks currently in my backlog

You're only supposed to use an I with a bar if the character is talking about themselves (I am/was/etc)

The I's are all improperly capitalized, it's basic typesetting 101. It got so bad that Comicraft had to make a new font that automatically substitutes the caps I's for you.

Will scanlator of upload it to batoto/madokami/notification on baka?

cropping double page scans

Going through Redraw hell with Mr. Fullswing, and QCing Ryoko.
Third chapter of that should be up by next week.

Idiot.

>not uploading via a proxy and VPN
It's like they were asking to get arrested.
It's their own fault for being stupid.

Hey, here's an idea. If you're going to do something illegal, make sure it can't be traced back to you.

The rules still apply, western or not.

Maybe they were but made some other mistakes

Like what? Signing their real life names on the scans themselves? Doubtful.

a bunch were admins, for them it could have been the money trail from the ads

Yeah, you can still do that via proxy and VPNs.
As well as setting up a virtual bank account.
And without some kind of serious violation of privacy laws there's no way they'd be able to track where you send the money from the virtual bank account.

>current year
>privacy protection on any first world country
Lul
Japan must have it extra tough because they're kind of a strategic hot spot inna Pacific.

not sure if it works differently in japan but authorities use subpoenas and warrants to track stuff like that all the time

Says who? Who made the rules and why are you so insistent people follow it?

Do you understand why Swiss banks are secure?
It's because they don't give information to the authorities, and they're fully allowed to do so.

So, a bank account based in Switzerland would capitulate to the subpoenas. That's why people always embezzle or hide money in Swiss banks.

Waiting to get home and finish typesetting Saike and then typeset some 4-komas for a two person project.

Professionals who've been lettering comics for decades user, they know what looks good or not. Admittedly they're more guidelines than rules, but if you want to use some shitty fonts or not properly capitalize your words then by all means go for it. I actually care about quality though.

>I actually care about quality though.
But most readers can't tell so who gives a shit. We're doing this as a hobby, not as paid professionals. To expect professionalism from scanlations is plain retarded.

I scanlate because I enjoy what I work on and want to share it with other. I want what I work on to look good. I do it more for me than for them.

Typesetting is an art, and I actually have fun doing it ironically enough. It's nice being able to see the hard work I've done on manga after it's finished. The e-peen is secondary to me.

>Saike
Don't miss working on that, nice to know I can drop stuff and it'll still get worked on.

That's not a problem if you use a lowercase font. I'm happy I switched to one. I'm never going back to uppercase fonts.

The font I use has crossbars on the Is no matter what
be triggered

What lowercase font do you use?

Lowercase fonts are ok, I just don't like using them out of habit.

kys

>kys
Fuck off, reddit.

to be fair, the font isn't my choice, it's the choice of a group I typeset a little for
the fonts I use for personal stuff do have Is without crossbars on the lowercase

Not that dude, but I use Chinacat Thin, Wild Words Lower, Might Zoe, Segoe Print, and Delius.

Well if you can't help it then that's not bad then.

Not him but Soliloquous is my favorite one, with victory speech/wild words lower as honorable mentions. Your fonts should always have italics preferably, for narrations bubbles and adding emphasis to words.

What are some good sites to download collected manga scans from? I'm trying to stop being an online reading pleb, but I'm having a hard time finding a good place to get torrents/DDL links.

So, fellow typesetters/cleaners, what do your workflows look like?
for my cleaning it's like this
>run action that converts pages to Grayscale and makes needed layers for all pages available
>Level page
>Rotate page
>Crop page
>White out text, misc. dots, and crap on the edge of the page
>Redraw (if that's my job)
>Resize
Total Time: 4-5 minutes for digital raws, 6-8 for high quality tank raws

>rotating digital raws
Nigga what the fuck are you doing?

I don't need to rotacrop digital stuff, I just included it because it covers what I do on normal pages
I guess I should've noted that
I don't need to resize them to a uniform size either

convert to grayscale > level > add layers > clean out text and stuff > typeset > redraw is how it usually goes

I'd never redraw until I have the script and am ready to typeset over the jp text first though. Doing it beforehand just sounds extremely tedious and a waste of time.
Really the longest/most annoying part of editing for me nowadays is actually picking a good font to use for sfx and such.

>debind
>scan
>open all pages
>combine into psb file
>clean and level
>redraw
>downsize
>output to psd
>typeset
>output to png

>EBJ and BW don't have public tools anyway unless you just screenshot that is
There's a script you can find through the archives for for the first at least.

No you can't, the script link always dies after a few hours.

I like the results better if I redraw first then typeset after. That way I make sure to typeset over the parts of the redraw that I couldn't do well. Typesetting first is certainly less work though.

nevermind then

I've got it and that's enough. I'm definitely smart enough to not share it, at least.

I have it too and I don't want to share it either. You never know when a chink is browsing and those fucks always abuse these things and end up causing them to be patched.

Yup.

Yeah, redrawing first and tailor making the sfx/dialogue to your liking looks nicer. But the obnoxious amount of sfx in h-manga and doujins just made me stop doing that entirely.

When I'm reading off sites like comicwalker, what's the difference between right-click saving images and png screenshotting? I save stuff for private reading and I'd like to know if there's a significant difference.

>tailor making the sfx
>redrawing sfx
Kill yourself.

You can't right-click save images on those sites at all.

Yes I can.
Disable-disable-right-click.extension

>run action that converts pages to Grayscale and makes needed layers for all pages available
Same but I have a couple diff actions for in-group-scanned, potato public raws, color pages etc.
Sometimes have to tweak and re-record them when the raws are from the absolute potatoest sources.
I rotate and crop on a single step using the crop tool.

Fuck off retard

Who cares? Just use manga-zip

Is BW still a pain in the ass?

How's Summertime Render? I wonder if that's worth translating.

>scanlation
>not doing anything to the SFX
I can get not doing anything but trying to slap a "SFX: W/E" nearby or putting a SFX next to the actual SFX denoting it, I've done both, but acting like redrawing the SFX is somehow ruining the manga is stupid.
I don't trust rotating by eye enough to do that, I always use the ruler to line the page up by a straight panel line

also, I figure I'll dump my TS workflow while I remember to:
>put text into bubble
>set the kerning to optical because fuck metric
>mess with font size
>break it up in the way it looks best
>mess around with font size more
>use autocenterer script (except on those double-connect bubbles, it won't work then)
>doublecheck the centering
>repeat for all of the box/bubble stuff
>put all of the small text and sfx in
>mess around with fonts if needed
no, I don't use auto-kerning between lines
I think I'm too much of a perfectionist and it's why I take way too fucking long with TSing and usually stick to cleaning instead.

SFX are part of the art, you should never redraw them.

I feel that it depends on how the SFX are used whether redrawing them or not is valid
generally I avoid redrawing anything that's not just floating on blank space or easy to redraw but that's due to lack of care usually, not for me respecting artistic integrity
the sfx which I would leave alone for being integral to the art are likely ones which would be hard to mess with anyway

If the artist is happy about covering up his art with sfx then redrawing over them should be no issue. I'd definitely avoid doing huge ones spanning across pages though.

I think so too, but in the end it's not like EOPs can read them so they can't appreciate them anyway. And putting a note for every single one just looks bad.
If you're going to bother translating them might as well redraw.

Swiss banks have capitulated before but I agree they are still pretty private.

Offered to help TS a series and it turns out there are 9 volumes of untypeset translations

What have I gotten myself into?

Do a volume a week, it's easy.

>a volume a week
how fast do you typeset pages, fucking hell
[note: I'm not the guy you were replying to]

I did a volume in a day once so pretty fast.

what the fuck are you even human?

Good god, what series is it?

Well to be fair there wasn't that much text.

I was thinking about going into this since I have more spare time these days outside of work, but I don't know where to start (ie. who and where the community is at).

The community is right here, right now. Ask anything.

>I was thinking about going into this
Don't.

You can find plenty of tutorials online, and if there's anything you're confused about then you can just ask scanlators [ie: this thread]
you generally need a copy of Photoshop, cracked or otherwise to scanlate, but other than that it's just a time commitment
as to where to help, it's personal preference, although personally I'd look for groups who do dropped manga and join one of them after you practice a bit, although some groups do train newbies
also, I think that I accidentally turned this into a weekly thread after posting it twice in September, should there be a set OP with resources or something

>also, I think that I accidentally turned this into a weekly thread after posting it twice in September
No you didn't, there was a retard trying to force that shit for more than a year.

Stop trying to turn this into a general.

You need to kill yourself, cancer.

OP replying here. Seems like a fun hobby. Have quite a bit of experience during my photo restoration projects, which was quite fun, plus past illustrator/design workshops, and translating those skill sets into this type of work doesn't seem too difficult.

Only problem is my nippon is trash, should start revising it since I've all but forgotten it at this point since I had to practice deutsch this summer for a month trip.

Also besides the websites mentioned in the thread, any other sources available for raw scans?

pic related.

>covering up his art with sfx
But the SFX are art, user.
>it's not like EOPs can read them
Maybe we should expect more of weebs.

Still takes two whole months
Must have looked like shit
It's old with no redraws/SFX so at least typesetting it is very straightforward