Why is Undertale's sprite work so half assed? You could easily make this in MS Paint in seconds. Fucking disgusting

why is Undertale's sprite work so half assed? You could easily make this in MS Paint in seconds. Fucking disgusting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pcamjcoRmrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9O7EhxK3ak4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People still talking about this lmfao

Because it was pretty much two people and they didn't really give a shit and neither do I.

Maybe because sprites and graphics weren't meant to be the point, and this was Toby's early creation and decided to roll with it.

It reminds me of old computer consoles like ZX Spectrum.

>Cherry picking

Cave Story was made by one person.

that's why it's bad

For me, music made the game.

Cave Story was made by a Jap.

lol

I sincerely do not believe the guy thought Undertale would grow to what it did, let alone so quickly.

I think the combat design is relatively clever, and the writing and story is smart enough that I have to give him credit for making a legitimate video game.

I've also yet to play it because I don't want to be associated with the autistic fanbase.

It must fucking suck to be a graphics kiddy. So many amazing games (not necessarily undertale) that people pass up because they're so hung up over how it looks, like the point of games is to look at beautiful art or something.

Pixel is German.

refer to the second part, toby didn't give a shit and pixel did
pixel wanted to create a fun game that would be enjoyed by everyone so it's free

>implying that's impressive

Same thing.

>play the game
>dont get into the fanbase by simply not participating
>???
>profit

Cave Story was in development for 7 years.

I think the graphics are passable. I won't argue that it's the best looking indie game ever made, but I won't say they're so shitty they actually detract from the game either.

>not playing a fucking single player only game because of the fanbase

Never change Sup Forums

Tobyfox is bad at drawing

I had fun with Undertale and played all of it but that doesn't change the fact that it looks like fucking ass

I wasn't. I'm just saying its a helluva lot better than the OP pic. He chose the worst spot he could. Like he didnt even show the webs or anything.

>I've also yet to play it because I don't want to be associated with the autistic fanbase.
>cares about what other people think about what games he plays
>not autistic

I've got some bad news for you, user...

what's wrong with you? afraid you'll become part of them once you've played the same fucking game? you're more autistic than homotale fags

laugh'd/10

Because it's stylised.

Stop bitching.

Now off to

>I sincerely do not believe the guy thought Undertale would grow to what it did, let alone so quickly.
There's no question that he didn't. Anyone who argues otherwise is trying to shitpost.

He released it on Steam with zero hyping it up beyond saying it was out, and people ate it up. Fuck, the game itself benefits from less people experiencing it. Going into it blind without knowing about "the correct way to play" is what was intended. He wanted to make a game, he made a game. He released a game. Game grew to massive leaps and bounds. Game got endless praise, game got endless shit.

The worst thing is how the sprite for Frisk is so bad that it just sticks out like a sore thumb. If it was on par with the rest of the sprites quality it wouldn't bug me so much.

Why? Because people will un-ironically defend shit as a style.

>literally lines
>asgore's arm is literally, QUITE LITERALLY a circle made with mspaint
stop shitposting and off to /r/undertale

>shitty sprites are a style
don't bait me
some of the sprites are lazy but they're not the point of the game so I don't really care
There's a few good instances like the final battle with Asgore, where his sprite can be interpreted in more than one way.

It's kind of funny to me how talentless people are so quick to mock the creations of others
Don't even like undertale

toby said he didn't want all this bullshit happening but it did anyway

looking at this durring the whole game was painful like come on how do you defend this

I haven't seen the Undertale fanbase do anything bad, other than the Tumblr portion.

Because, y'know, Tumblr is some shit. The only thing useful that site holds is (´・ω・`)

Yee/Nee?

frisk best girl

Stop shilling, Manyakis

Because it's a fine sprite that isn't egregiously bad, yet nothing spectacular. Get's the job done perfectly.

I've never cared about graphics in the first place. That's why I'm not blowing my load over Crysis 3 or Uncharted 4. They're literally the least important part of a game.

>so mad other people like a game that you have to bring it up just to complain

Meanwhile Sonics art design

You say that as if you have something to prove
Toby isn't an artist OR a programmer, but lo and behold he made a fuckin game

>Because it's stylised.
Style looks like complete shit.

Why did Undertale have such good music if Toby doesn't even know how to read sheet?

youtube.com/watch?v=pcamjcoRmrQ

>Two people
Try like eight.

Axiom Verge was made by one.

I font really care about graphics either, and it 'get's the job done', but frisk's sprite sticks out like a sore thumb in every environment in the game.
The game is a really annoying clash of pixelated styles, and while it didn't ruin the game for me, I definitely noticed it.
The game as a whole would have been slightly better if there was a consistent style throughout.

>A game made by a full team who worked for years is way more detailed than a game made by one guy
Aren't we getting silly now

Seriously, try comparisons to Axiom Verge or Cave Story and such

Are you seriously saying this looks good?

Because it didnt, you're handicapped if you think it did.

Toby did programming/music/story/graphics. His qt Asian gf did some sprites

How am I supposed to beat mettaton x on pacifist? Can't avoid those legs.

What's wrong with it?

I can't really explain why I like it, but you broached the subject so I assume you can into words why you dislike it.

i actually really want to know toby's musical background

can he even read music, or does he just fuck around in fl studio? if it's the latter he's my hero

Because earthbound reference.

>it took E I G H T people
>the only redeeming qualities are sans and undyne's fights and the music

>mixed pixel resolution

as a pixel artist I'm legitimately triggered holy SHIT

yeah but, wasn't this game funded? Couldn't some of the money gone to sprite work commissions?

>inb4 but muh styel!

But it did, and your hateboner to the point of denying it just seems outrageous. Why are you unwilling to say Undertale even had one great quality to it?

They did, I think. Look at the shopkeepers and you'll see more of that kind of thing.

Just because there's one guy doesn't mean it has to look like ass

Graphics do not matter one bit, unless it's the only thing your game has going for it.

Touhou - made by one Jap guy in a matter of months
Cave Story - made by one Jap guy over several years
Undertale - made by one guy with sprite help from his girlfriend.

All 3 are good games that look alright for what they're trying to accomplish.

Here's the thing about one-man teams: One person can't really be expected to be talented at absolutely everything. Maybe one or two things, but that's about it.

Toby's good at music. He's pretty good at writing. He sucks at art. I won't defend it and say it's good but it's completely understandable and doesn't ruin the game or anything.

Shoot the legs and they move.

Mettaton X is probably the boss I had the most trouble with. Just stock up on healing items - glamburgers are good because they'll help spike your ratings.

looks pretty good for 2004, and the other sprites such as the environments are leagues better than undertale's and undertale came out 11 years later

Kek

Didn't even notice I could shoot, thanks

And then there is fan art.

One person teams almost never make anything look good. Zun has been drawing for nearly 20 years at this point, and his art only just now looks better than Toby's. To be fair, he does it all while drunk, but still.

I will say Undertale had a great quality, fuck ill even say two. Snowdin and Boss Battles. But thats it.

But the music 80% of the time was garbage, and it cant compare to his homostuck work.

inability

Whether or not it's art style is "shit", doesn't mean that it isn't stylised.

It's fine, you don't like the stylisation of the game. Why do you feel the need to superimpose your elitist ways onto others? Are you that insecure?

I agree, the arts style is terrible, but I'm not going to say it's not stylised,
A drawing of a shit woulf still be stylised, it doesn't mean you have to like it.

Now off to Tumblr with you, you basement dwelling neckbeards.

Why do all games have to look the same

Pic related was from a free flash game from 2004. Cave Story absolutely did not look amazing graphically. It was the style that made it look good.

needs more pixels

I thought we're not suppose to judge games based soley on their art but their gameplay? Or does that not apply when we don't like the game?

I never said it didn't.

Why even argue that point?

>Looks good for 2004
Nigger, Mario came out in 1985

Sup Forums is cluttered with PC and Sonyfags who only care about "muh graphix"

>admits the art is terrible
good because that's what we are saying
'stylized' and 'good' are not synonymous and nobody is trying to say it doesn't have a pixel style to it, they're saying the sprites are half assed and stick out, which is fine since they're not the focus

namefags go away please

Man, DFO used to be so good. Modern DFO shit the bed when they decided that no one wanted to play the good dungeons and reworked them all into mediocrity because of a couple of lame dungeons.

It's because you're not supposed to know the character's gender or race. It's supposed to be up to you. Looks like a little Asian girl to me though

Wow this is utter garbage why not use Unreal Engine? And where is her gun? Why is there no multiplayer?

>undertale's gameplay
>2 hours of walking and 1 hour of the easiest bullet hell in the world
>also do all the walking again to get another ending
>also do all the walking plus an additional hour of grind to get to the only fun boss

>I thought we're not suppose to judge games based soley on their art but their gameplay?
You'd be right, but the gameplay was also shit. Along with everything else.

There's a difference between poor graphics and lazy graphics.
One is somebody is just not that good, the other is someone not even trying.

Zun has horrible anatomy problems, but he still tries.
Thankfully there is no animation outside bullet patterns, and for those you can tell he made sure they looked nice.

Undertale however constantly shows use of lazy sprite work coupled with lazy """sprite""" animation; seeing the pixels rotate and literally MS Paint around the screen is simply nothing sort of disgusting.
Undertale also proves that it can do better since it does have points every now and then where it looks fairly alright:
is a nice background shot with minimalist colors, and pic related shows actual pixel animation
Undertale also is not consistent with its artstyle, this shows a lack of direction is something to be frowned upon.

Don't defend laziness, and don't pretend to be better than people who offer criticism simply because you view yourself in such an inflated position of "look at me not worrying about these petty problems, those children will only care about art, they don't really like to play games!"
All you're doing is hurting yourself and making it that much easier for people to take an opposing argument towards you.

sorry, autists
it looks good for a free 2004 game developed by one japanese man probably working on it on weekends over bowls of ramen for five years

name 1 game that's not shit

Sup Forums will defend half assed keyframing
youtube.com/watch?v=9O7EhxK3ak4

>I'll just boil it down to the simplest elements I can, and ignore all of the intricacies of the gameplay
You sure showed me. How's that press-right-and-a simulator, or that press X and stare at Nathan Drake's ass simulator, or that press F to pay respects simulator?

The downside is that it's quite repetitive.

>Undertale also proves that it can do better since it does have points every now and then where it looks fairly alright:

You do realize examples like those are mostly done by other artists, right?

Don't act like you understand full well what was going on behind the scenes and judge whether the dev "tried" hard enough for you to deem it worthy.

>It looks good "FOR"
And so does Undertale, you autist. It looks good for a 2 year project by one American guy.

DFO came out the same year, and only 4 Koreans worked on it originally. 4. They developed these graphics, a combo system, classes, an RPG system, and so on. All while earning measly salaries for shitting out flash games for the early 2000's flash game sites.

That's still pretty lame spritework

Nobody says that Undertale has good graphics/sprite-work. People like the game because of it's charm, meta-story, and unique gameplay.

It's not unforgivable because it's never been presented as a professional piece of art worked to perfection. No one said it was beautiful or amazing, no one said it was the most graphically impressive game ever made.

It's just GOOD. Not GREAT, not HORRIBLE. Just GOOD. I played it, I enjoyed it, I didn't mind the art style, I finished it, and I moved on.

This game actually captures the essence of the original Sonic games very well

There was nothing to admit, as I was not retaining or denying any of what you're implying.

Maybe do some homework? Study? Get outside? Anything to spend more time off of Sup Forums.

You seem very concerned about things that don't matter, and very stupid.

May I suggest ? Great place to lurk, build Sup Forums culture.

>unique gameplay
Its a crippled RPG