When did you quit this game Sup Forums?

When did you quit this game Sup Forums?
Long veteran quests were the killing for me, haven't played since 2 of my party members died miserably.

Other urls found in this thread:

darkestdungeon.com/topic/my-experiences-with-ng/
youtube.com/watch?v=R-vjgs6r1DY
darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Wolves_at_the_Door
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Never played it

They overused the RNG so much, it's ok in games like FTL because they end fast but in something like this you can lose your party of veterans and be bankrupt after a couple of snake eyes from the RNG

After maybe the second dungeon. Shit's boring

Why, user? It's pretty gud.
RNG plagued and sometimes pretty gimmicky but really fun when you finally grasp the concept.

I had killed all the first tier bosses, so I went into medium difficulty weald with my A team. It got fucking massacred by a giant mushroom dude and some old hag. Quit the game then because low energy

I played it for quite a while, something like 15-20hs maybe.

I just couldn't stand the excessive RNG. It's fine for crit hits, but a healing for 0-14 also with a chance of crit? Really? What the fuck were they thinking?

The quest often ends because of the smallest stuff that happens purely by luck.

Most characters are pretty balanced overall, but it doesn't matter when the game itself ISN'T balanced.

Honestly?

The RNG.

Every so often I come back and play a bunch of dungeons for a few days. Great game in general.

But then you get that one run in the high level dungeon on the strongest team, where EVERYONE continuously roll fucking ones, and the enemy just crits every third hit. And sure, you survive it because you are not a complete hack at the game, but it still severely sets you back.

And in this game, being set back takes fucking hours to regain.

I get a run like that, and I stay away from it for a month.
Because fuck that.

Just savescum

>but a healing for 0-14 also with a chance of crit? Really? What the fuck were they thinking?
>lol heals for 0
>you still get to bleed tho

I am actually kinda fine with this, I mean in comparison to the bullshit RNG and insane stress damage from enemies I rather deal with an unreliable RNG on my part.

How do you deal with the stress damage during dungeons? You can only bonfire so much and it uses up your food fast. You either have to carry nothing but supplies or do a farming run where you carry minimal essentials, run through it once and throw the characters away.

Mostly this.
For example, I find the Jester incredibly underwhelming.
The game requires every character to have at least a bit of damage due to the movement change skills of some monsters, so you will never run out of dps.
The thing is that the Jester is great as a support but even with top tier equipment both his bleed skills deal little to no actual base damage.
And the Antiquarian is just shit.

After my characters started refusing to go on low-level quests. Since I have to grind materials to upgrade the guild/blacksmith so that he won't be oneshot by the enemies in the higher-level dungeons, I have to go back and grind the lower-level ones anyway, but now I have to use expendable rookie squads who all get dropped after coming back from their first missions with full pockets and 130 stress, because my ex-best guys can't hack the increase in monster stats.

I feel like the mechanic exists to prevent grinding, but all it does is turn the game into a repeat of its own early levels over and over again as your characters graduate to new dungeons that they can't possibly handle without better equipment so you have to grind.

Then when you finally get 4 dudes of the correct level to have fully kitted-out spells and armor, you can just button mash your way to victory because suddenly you kill every enemy in one hit and take no stress damage ever.

Jesters can get rid of the stress damage.

>And the Antiquarian is just shit.

I thought it has been established that the Antiquarian is only useful for gold-farming runs. She's a liability for you to protect in return for boosting the gold cap and other perks.

I know this but
>spam turns trying to get the stress down/heal because you can only use his skills in mid battle which is bullshit
>reinforcements!
>you take too long, have some more stress

Yeah but in this game you can't really give away a spot in your party.
It's not worth to have every one of your heroes stressed and nearly not completing the quest only for 2k more gold.
This.
I feel like the enemies have much more reliable skills and their turns actually matter.
Stress damage is a great mechanic but in long quests it can wipe out your party.

I am in the middle of what you are describing, I feel like there's no other way of "doing it legit", you just grind out gold to level up a bunch of pros with no bad traits on them, top tier gear and zero stress in order to properly handle the veteran dungeons.

It's not enough compared to the huge stress damage dealt by the enemies.

I played the early version for 20-30 hours and then dropped it.

Came back to the newer version, started up a new game and found it to be worse. Corpses seem to be another mechanic that exists to reward lucky crits, as if the huge damage and health boost wasn't enough. For some reason the game now had performance issues, whereas the early version ran fine. And about halfway through my first or second level, I ran into the Collector, who I literally didn't have the DPS to kill. He couldn't even kill me, he just kept summoning more guys and healing himself. After about 10 minutes of being unable to beat his healing or run away, I just closed the game.

I used her a few times to combo with Graverobber. It was fun.

>Having a hard time acquiring vestals
>Finally get one
>First dungeon
>Fucking spiders in the first encounter
>They all focus my healer in the surprise round
>Dead before combat even starts
Every fucking time. My healers have a lifespan of about two encounters before being focused out. And yes, they are in the back and yes, I am using abilities to try and ease the pressure off of them.
>Crusader marks himself to take some hits for the healer
>They focus my healer and crit her to death anyway
>Get an Occultist
>Complete opposite happens but he heals everyone for 4 HP plus bleeding damage

I can only play Statistical Anomaly: The Game for half an hour before everyone is dead from crits and failed checks.

>They overused the RNG so much
No they didn't.

>in something like this you can lose your party of veterans and be bankrupt after a couple of snake eyes from the RNG
You are making fundamental mistakes then.

>Jester spends his turn relieving stress
>Lose a little bit of stress for the team
>Attacking class gets a crit
>Kills the enemy
>3/4 of the party gets an even bigger stress reduction, plus a dead enemy

You're packing on way too much healing if you can survive the collector for that long. Ideally, you should be killing things fast enough so you don't really need to heal much.

The blocking off heroes from going to low level dungeons thing + the fact that I couldn't find a successful and safe team comp that didn't use an occultist kinda wore me down. I just had such bad luck and couldn't get any more from the stage coach, and any other team comp was a lot more dangerous.

I can handle the damage.
Its the fucking stress that made me quit this game.
>leepicskellygobletbackrow of 20 stress
You can heal your party just fine with a healer or some provisions.
But stress is raping your dudes with permanent debuffs and quirks while keeping them out of the game to un-stress for fucking days.
I would loved this game if you could turn stress off , or just make them do miss more/crit less/take more damage or whatever because of it.
Great game otherwise that fucking narrator is orgasmic.

Enemies can surprise you AND they are sometimes inexplicably fast. You are going to take damage no matter what you do.

>How do you deal with the stress damage during dungeons?
Depends on your team.

If it's tanky and tends to battle for a lot of turns, stress heals are essential.

If it's focused on DPS and burst damagw, make sure you have good SPD on all heroes and good amush chance to kill/stun stress dealers before they get to act. Crits are very good as well.

Proper choice of camping skills is important as well.

>Corpses seem to be another mechanic that exists to reward lucky crits

speaking of this...
>necromancer boss
>raises 2 zombies when he makes contact with the first member of your party
>kill them, their corpses lingers behind
>your 2 front members has lackluster range abilities
>can never reach the boss because the only people in my party capable of decent range abilities are dedicated healers

granted, they all survived in the end.

pic related is the worst, there's LITERALLY no dodging the falling rocks, you either trade damage to another party member by shifting position or that guy gets 90% of his hp as damage. And this mechanic NEVER ever stops, meaning everyone stays at 0 hp for rest of the fight once at least everyone has been hit by the rocks.

> have to use expendable rookie squads who all get dropped after coming back from their first missions with full pockets and 130 stress
You are doing something wrong

OESKAISYALASKIRAUS

>ideally
There's the problem. You will quickly run into a situation where you will either beat the quest at sanic speed or end it prematurely for one stupid reason or another. There's no "safe" way to play this game.

I had one Vestal, if that's "packing on healing." I think 1 guy was dead by the time I closed the game, but it's not hard to bring people back from death's door if you get lucky with killing blows.

>hey abomination is a pretty cool class
>cannot put into the same party with 3 other good classes

>Enemies can surprise you AND they are sometimes inexplicably fast
Get more SPD/+chance to surprise enemy/- chance to surprise party if that's an issue.

>You are going to take damage no matter what you do
Yes but you can minimize it.

That's the whole point of risk managment. You are supposed to minimize risk in every way possible.

Got to top-tier dungeons, and dropped it there. Shit got real repetitive yo.

I use a torch at one of the red orb things in my gold runs with 4 throwaway newbies, pic related came out and I killed it with nobody dying, it also dropped an actual item that comes without a catch22 like the other trinket.

Was this guy suppose to be hard or did I got really lucky?

>take Occultist with you
>debuff the shit out of this nerd
>kill him in 5 turns

Any chance of this going on sale for more than twenty percent in the summer sale?

>Plague Doctor
>Hellion
>target back row first
That was hard.

And that's why you don't take a bunch of squishy healers for long term healing, you take characters with higher dodge and health pools so when you do roll bad, you can survive long enough to come back.

How often have you died to crits and other burst damage vs slowly bleeding out over time? The trick is to survive the initial attacks until you can apply CC and kill targets, not to try and outheal the enemy party's damage.

>raises 2 zombies when he makes contact with the first member of your party
He always summons exactly one skeleton after his turn, why are you lying?

>your 2 front members has lackluster range abilities
Then you should either get more versatile frontliners or compensate with high damage backliners (like Arbalest/Musketeer).

>can never reach the boss because the only people in my party capable of decent range abilities are dedicated healers
Your party composition is shit then. If you don't have any heroes capable of reliably killing rank 3/4 the you should get a hero with ability to remove corpses.

>pic related is the worst, there's LITERALLY no dodging the falling rocks
My highwaymen dodge them pretty damn frequently, even on Champion. Hell even my Muskeeter managed to dodge once or twice.

>you either trade damage to another party member by shifting position or that guy gets 90% of his hp as damage
One turn less shouldn't hurt your DPS that much.

>And this mechanic NEVER ever stops, meaning everyone stays at 0 hp for rest of the fight once at least everyone has been hit by the rocks.
If you get to the point where everyone at your team is at 0 HP then you did something wrong. Probably shitty backline that can't dish out enough damage to rank 3/4.

I could care less about the RNG. What made me lose interest was having to manage every fucking little thing, and the fact it played like a mobile game.

plague doc is overrated as fuck. hellion is alright though.

At the corpse update
I loved the challenge before it but that update was a premise of what was going to happen

On a scale from 1 to 10 like being in Hiroshima and not dying lucky.

Its not just the goblet guy.
Its stress in general.
Also later in the game there are other enemies that stress you way harder.
Got a hellion specially for those fucks tho.

This.

>tfw 2 muskeeters are god tier since they can either keep doing insane damage or stack "+heals received" buff with their bandages to get +20 heal crits in no time

It probably will, it was discounted a couple of times before.

>quick draw charm
>blinding gas the back row on the first turn
>dismantle it with other heroes
>never worry about stress ever again

If stress is such an issue, focus on stress managment. The game literally throws a bunch of different ways to do this at you.

>crits
>camp skills
>trinkets
>stress heals
>stress reduction
>+virtue chance

>stun slot 3 and 4 in one turn
>can wittle down slot 1 which is usually some beefy nigger with PROT
>can heal bleed and blight
>can cure diseases
'no'

Stun and kill them, easy. If you're going into the Weald or the Warrens take a Jester with you.

Use stuns instead of marking, and overall just stun more. If you take a char that can stun two at once you can effectively mitigate 50%of the damage every turn.

Shambler is pretty easy at apprentice level.

A lot worse at champion though.

Having 2 Plauge doctors in the back is GOAT, their damage easily stacks up to around ~20 points per turn and if a enemy has HP below that you can just move on to the next one since he's guaranteed dead on his next turn which gives you time to heal, remove buffs/stress.

Have you found redemption?

Yeah buts that what the problem is kinda.
I am fully aware of these options.
But you get way more stress and way faster then you can get it out.

Also its not that bad that i am losing because of it , i just find it really really annoying and a huge waste of time when i just want to explore and fight shit.

>5shovels
Nigga wat

;-;7

I tried that too. It's just the fucking spiders that give me a problem.
>Dish out stuns
>Dodged dodged dodged dodged dodged dodged dodged dodged dodged dodged

>tfw in my experience fighting spiders is literally a free camp
Feels good to run a high SPD/amubsh chance DPS party.

>start a new game to check out the patch
>90% of town events make the game even easier
This is going to bite me in the ass later on, right?

Sometimes you will embark with 3 shovels and get a few shovel drops, it happens.

>He always summons exactly one skeleton after his turn
I might have remembered wrong.

I haven't played the game for more than 2 months and every single time I went into the boss blind, when I enter into a new dungeon knowing that there's a boss coming up I just bring my best guys and hope it will win.

>If you get to the point where everyone at your team is at 0 HP then you did something wrong. Probably shitty backline that can't dish out enough damage to rank 3/4.

That is true, I do remember my guys being rank 2 B team-ers.

It severely punishes the player for shitty RNG. Plus the game is designed to fuck you over in almost every possible way

That's the point.

My Reynauld died because he went bersek in a veteran dungeon.

i like the mercenary for the stunjob. he also has "get over here" and sick damage.

Spider's got low HP though, I always take one dedicated nuker for mobs with small healthpools. Never underestimate the value of +1 or +2 SPD either.

>tfw you make mad bank

>Have a full crit/bleed jester
>4 spiders come to fight my party
>SURPRISED
>A SINGULAR STRIKE
>2 to go

why is jester best class?

The feeling was good, but then I spend some time upgrading everything and putting people in hospitals and a lot of it is gone.

I've been trying to get through NG+ but its fucking brutal for some time but if you end up losing some level 3 heroes around week 20 for some reason you might as well just restart. Still one of the best games I've played in years.

I always used a very movable party for the rocks and had 2 jesters take most of the hits with deathblow resist trinkets.

I got bored of the bullshit RNG and the way they handle death in this game, I am not fond of this rogue lite bullshit.

At the same time I am not that autistic to replay the same game over and over again until I GIT GUD, what can I say, I get bored of farming the same dungeons.

>all those shitters complaining about RNG
darkestdungeon.com/topic/my-experiences-with-ng/
Just learn the concept of risk managment and minimize the risks. This is literally the whole point of the game.

Learn from your mistakes.

Flee the dungeon if it's going horribly.

Think your party composition/strategy through.

Determine the weakness of your party and compensate accordingly.

Do not underestimate the importance of trinkets.

Do not underestimate the importance of locking very good quirks and getting rid of very bad ones.

Don't be afraid to spend a fotune of making sure your party is stron enough, it's an investment.

Just git fukcing gud. The only valid complaints are that the game gets too grindy and repetitive later on.

It's almost like thats the point of the High-risk High-reward character that can also stress the heck out of the rest of the party.

>tfw someone saves and reposts an image I made renamed as a meme I made up

I wish they'd add new dungeons.

>13,350
>mad bank
Try 30,000. If you don't have at least 3 trapezohedrons then you just ain't doing it right.

Also try full antiquarian runs, it's great if you know how to make it work.
youtube.com/watch?v=R-vjgs6r1DY

I thought it was very easy, until I actually fought my first boss and got literally crushed by some huge siren.

Oh, you get two actions? And you're constantly taking my tank and using him against me? Well that's nice.

They kinda did.
darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Wolves_at_the_Door

>Blizzdrone preaching to fans of other MMOs.png

Cause there's other classes than Jester and Antiquarian.
25 Stress Damage

Siren is one of the most annoying bosses if you don't understand her mechanics yet.

Don't bring a tank to Siren fight, ever. Bring a hero capable of stuns.

That's where the trick lies. Deny turns and the game is easier. From there it's all about priority. Does stress matter? Stun the witch. Does damage? Stun the brawler. If there's more than one of a type, stun one rush the other. It gets pretty formulaic once you learn a system that works with the party/area. The only time that's strat doesn't pay off is the the dd, but that place is designed to fuck you no matter what.

I recently got back into it now I'm trying to beat the medium bosses somehow without my heroes leveling up to 6 this is such a stupid mechanic

yeah i thought as much, stun is very nice in this game.

Too much missing makes a game really stale

Leper has to be the worst candidate for rabies though.

He can barely hit shit without +ACC trinkets.

>Cove

how quickly the tide turns

>Leper
>saying are you necessary to Jester

Loved it but i cheated in order to reduce the grind.

HOW QUICKLY THE

Yeah it's pretty good unless you have a squishy party focused on killing as fast as possible.

Also useless against enemies with 2 turns per round but those are very rare.

But the Cove has few blockages compared to the Ruins/Weald.