Why does Sup Forums keep falling for the kickstarter meme?

Why does Sup Forums keep falling for the kickstarter meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because people don't understand that a couple of million dollars isn't enough to make a game that is not indie pixel shit

What kind of monster posts the same thread over and over again?

It's a mystery

I added Tim Shchafter this time. It's not the same thread.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

SH2 and 3 both cost under 10 million each. I don't know why devs can't go back to those levels of budget again.

>Tim
Isn't he doing a second one now?
Is the broken age thing even done yet?

Makes me laugh that people here got so easily conned. The same people probably have an Ouya collecting dust in the corner waiting for that Skyrim port it was promised.

>SH2 and 3 both cost under 10 million each
That's still more than 5 times the budget of an "extremely successful" kickstarter campaign.

And the simple answer is that nowadays you need more people to make a game

They basically shat out the second half to underwhelming reviews so they could move on to the next scammerino

*Because people don't understand that money =/= a good game, that money can in fact dillute the devs' original wishes as they try to pander to backers/audiences, and that some of the best games ever made are in fact freeware
FTFY

Why isn't Chris Roberts there?

>some of the best games ever made are in fact freeware
Such as?

Bloodstained has a budget around 8 million. The Publisher gave them an additional 4.5 million.

I don't know the budget for Souls games, but they seem very successful and only get around 3 million sales each.

Cave Story
Iji
Dwarf Fortress

Who's wonderhair on the left?

Where's Todd Howard?

Because SC cultists shitpost harder than anyone else.

Yeah but just look at the game. Reused assets everywhere and cheap looking animations. The gameplay needs to be godlike to redeem the game

Not really a conman, he's more like Monlyneux, just retarded.

Igarashi, aka the only one making a worthwhile game. OPs just being a fag, Bloodstained looks great.

I can understand Cave Story but now you're just grasping at straws

please remove iga he actually makes games

>Yeah but just look at the game. Reused assets everywhere and cheap looking animations. The gameplay needs to be godlike to redeem the game

bloodstained?

I thought DF would be the most significant title there, actually. There is no other game (save maybe Aurora) with its depth and complexity. If anything, Iji might have been the most tenuous choice, anyway (but it is good nonetheless, and perhaps the best game of its kind).

Either that or Souls. He's wrong regardless though as none of them reuse assets more than is the norm.

>And the simple answer is that nowadays you need more people to make a game
That's obviously bullshit since small teams make plenty of top quality games that often shit all over games that have tens of developers.

Bloodstained or Darksouls?

I'll assume Souls.

Reused assets in a sequel is fine. Why make a 100% brand new Longsword when you already have a perfectly good model? As for cheap animations, having plenty of staff doesn't mean you don't get shit animations, look at Bioware games. They have a billion staff and still can't animate for shit.
I don't really see the Souls games as have cheap animation, there's nothing that is obviously jank.

The fact is, huge dev teams do not guarantee that a game will be better in any respect. What matters is competent management and clear goals that don't go beyond what the team are capable of.

I'd trust a smaller dev team creating a passion project over a bloated souless AAA game any day.

Both actually.

As for the Souls games, From Software are pretty much the masters of cutting corners. They do it in a way that doesn't detract from the gameplay experience too much

Bloodstained and Psychonauts 2 might be good desu.

I'm really curious what the Budget for Demon's Souls would have been, since the plan was to only release that in Japan I believe.

So said Sup Forums about Mighty Number 9 . . .

Iga made games years ago, but he's just a producer now. Bloodstained looks like a major step down from the previous DS games.

is this a wanted poster? are they hiding?

Sup Forums isn't a single entity, I thought Mighty No. 9 looked like shit the minute I saw real gameplay footage. The concept art was a ruse.

What's wrong with Bloodstained?

Or is MN9 becoming TORtanic 2.0 so everyone's trying to turn every kickstarter project into a big disaster?

How dense are you, user? Did you even play Bloodstained? Feels like Symphony of the Night with Aria/Dawn of Sorrow mechanics. All of which are great games. Get fucked, faggot.

Where's Chris Roberts?

>are they hiding?

Inafune is. His reputation is shot.

>REMEMBER THAT THING FROM THE 90s YOU LOVED AND REFUSE TO LET GO OF DESPITE THE FACT THAT ITS BEEN DEAD FOR YEARS DUE TO MULTIPLE FACTORS SUCH AS STAGNATION AND/OR PROGRESSIVE MEDIOCRITY?
>WELL, I CAN REVIVE IT SO YOU CAN HAPPILY SHOUT OUT THAT THE INDUSTRY IS NO LONGER AS SHIT AS YOUR BIASED ASS THINKS IT IS THANKS TO THIS ONE GAME
And so Sup Forums bites down hard.

Fucking this.

>They do it in a way that doesn't detract from the gameplay experience too much
>What is the whole PvP system

The thing that gets me the most is how there are people defending that kind of shit coding practices.

>Bloodstained looks like a major step down from the previous DS games.
>an unfinished alpha looks worse than fully developed games
NO FUCKING SHIT?

>Or is MN9 becoming TORtanic 2.0 so everyone's trying to turn every kickstarter project into a big disaster?

Almost every KS ends up being a disaster, cancelled or well below expectations. The ones that turn out are the exception.

Nothing, the demo was great for what it is

MN9 has put a stain on kickstarters.

But that isn't necessarily a bad thing, since now people will want demos or something before blindly going into a kickstarter, see Blackroom.

>years ago people were saying "it's just an alpha" when MN9's gameplay was released and the end product looked the same
>the cycle is repeating

Its easy to spot which will go well though

>years ago people were saying "it's just an alpha" when MN9's gameplay was released and the end product looked the same
I wouldn't know about that considering I never took an interest in MN9.
But I will say, Bloodstained already looks better than MN9's final product.

Bloodstained is fun though, the demo is up on KAT, I actually want to play more.

The Bloodstained demo is already better than anything in Portrait of Ruin, and outside of difficulty it's comparable to stuff from DoS and OoE. How is it a step down at all, let alone a major one?

>But I will say, Bloodstained already looks better than MN9's final product.

That really isn't saying much.

I put some money into the Divinity os 2 kickstarter and I don't expect to be disappointed.

It is when you don't ignore that Bloodstained is still in alpha.
And stretch goals have guaranteed us that the game will have far more depth than MN9.
I feel like people are forgetting exactly how many features we're getting with Bloodstained.

FTFY, OP

>le bloodstained is bad meem

>trinity
>four

>trinity
How stupid are you?

>I feel like people are forgetting exactly how many features we're getting with Bloodstained.

Iga's BIGGEST CASTLE YET!
That alone has me sold. The demo just solidified it.

>trinity
>four

Good man. Larian are the only one I've backed.

>Implying I'm missing out on metroidvania game

You can't cheat me nigger.

Three people already got conned ...

Why is Iga in there? Bloodstained is lookin pretty good

>Huehuehue! Merely pretending!

i vape

I have no idea how Star Citizen got so much money. Are Wing Commander fans that much more obsessive than Mega Man and Castlevania fans?

What kind of game could possibly live up to 110 million dollar budget? It's one of the most expensive video games of ALL time, just below shit like Final Fantasy 7. The most expensive video games mostly all make sense as they're big series with big audiences.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Wouldn't it make WAY more sense to make the game cost 30 million and use the rest for sequels?

>based Igarashi
>con-man

Release yourself from this mortal coil.

JUST

>he hasn't seen this joke made on Sup Forums many times already

Its not just that the castle is big though.
They had to make an entirely seperate game when they tried to make a co-op castlevania. Iga is doing that as a feature for Bloodstained.

Local & Online Co-Op
Versus Mode
Roguelike Dungeon Mode
Classic Mode
Prequel Mini Game
Secret Boss
EN & JP Audio Tracks
Boss Revenge Mode
New Game Plus

Those are all just on top of the base game.

In a way, Kickstarter lets players experience what it's like to be a creator: They get to see the game in its early stages, get hyped up about all the promise it shows and imagining how great it will be, only to see those dreams get shattered by limited budget and deadlines.

For creators, it's simply a matter of experience, over time they learn to better estimate what they can achieve for the final product, or failing that, they just get too jaded to dream big, or they're Peter Molyneux, and the same will probably happen to backers after they've gotten burnt by disappointing products a few times. The increase in skepticism towards Kickstarters the past few years has been really noticeable.

I'm concerned about Tim, but Iga seems like a very capable person. Have you fags played the E3 demo? 15 minutes of sheer quality over that disgrace that Mighty No 9 ended up being

>They get to see the game in its early stages, get hyped up about all the promise it shows and imagining how great it will be, only to see those dreams get shattered by limited budget and deadlines.
That's what I feel is wrong with people who are judging the game based on the demo.
They don't understand that it isn't meant to be a look at the final product.

Wasteland 2 did completely fine with a low budget.

How can there be so much egg on one man's face

Wasteland 2 was dog shit. I made the mistake of buying it after it released.

l still need to back this project. l'm a big Castlevania fan and money's tight still but damn do l want that backer exclusive content. l know Iga is going to have himself as a secret boss where he teleports around the room ala Dracula.

They haven't gotten one penny from me.

The only issue I had with the demo was that hits feel like they have enough impact. Don't know if it's the animations, visual effects or sound effects but despite playing perfectly fine they lack a nice punch to them to make combat more satisfying.

That can easily be fixed as things are polished up though, they tossed that demo together in like 2-3 months. Same goes for the minor bugs in it, which I didn't really run into myself.

>1st two picks are same guy
why

How big?

And why a castle? I woudl have liked it to follow more the Order formula and have surrounding villages and areas. A big castle is a little boring to explore for the 7th time.

For posterity, Metroidvania size comparison. A "square" is defined as a single square on the map.

Symphony of the Night: 1,890 squares (both castles)
Portrait of Ruin: 1,846 squares
Harmony of Dissonance: 1348 squares (both sides)
Order of Ecclesia: 1,335 squares
Dawn of Sorrow: 1023 squares
Circle of the Moon: 980 squares
Aria of Sorrow: 928 squares

Super Metroid: 1409 squares
Super Metroid Redesign: 2849.

>why a castle?

Not sure, user. l'm just quoting the stretch goal exactly. "Iga's biggest castle."

>I woudl have liked it to follow more the Order formula and have surrounding villages and areas
Damn I hated what they did with OoE. The smaller areas around the castle felt so samey and too linear.

What's wrong with Bloodstained? Looks like a Metroidvania, which is what they said they wanted to make. Did I miss something bad about it somewhere?

The system shock remaster kickstarter is launching tomorrow.
How do you feel about it?

I'm going to Anime Expo this weekend and I'll be attending Inafune's panel. What should I ask him Sup Forums?

Todd's just as guilty at this point imo. Fallout 4 is even worse than mn9

Nah. Just contrarians shitposting hoping for TORtanic 2.0. That or buttblasted MN9 backers.

I didn't liked some areas of OoE some were too small and became irrelevant after you completed them once

>What should I ask him Sup Forums?
Well you can't be too blatant with whatever it is.
Try to find a tame way of asking if he feels guilty for peoples disappointment in the game.

I'll have to play the demo to form an opinion

>Undertale
>Crowdfunded by kickstarter
>Ends up being good

just don't let hacks like inafune on kickstarter

Come to think of it, what's going to happen to Shenmue 3? They went pretty quiet and that one

Ask him about Akira Kitamura.

Something like this:
>How can you say that you're co-creator of Rock Man, when Akira Kitamura created the name, storyline, and design of Rock Man?

90% of mega Man fans still think he's the creator of Mega Man. Most news stories call him "series creator".

>what's going to happen to Shenmue 3?
Its going to be a joke because they didn't get the money to make the full game.

>con-men

castelvania chink is working in his project
inafune delivered a shit product, but he delivered a product in the end,
Tim delivered his game and it's actually aclaimed by the critics, I don't know why Sup Forums spergs out over Broken Age

Bloodstained already has a demo that plays very well. They have a realistic development schedule, have been very transparent, and have provided backers with regular updates.

MN9 was a fucking trainwreck from the get-go. It was horribly mismanaged, and went through so many changes,mthere's was no way it would ever be good.

But by all means, keep up with the muh kikestarter meme.

>How can you say that you're co-creator of Rock Man, when Akira Kitamura created the name, storyline, and design of Rock Man?
Change "How can you" to "Why is it".
It sounds less like an accusation.

>Try to find a tame way of asking if he feels guilty for peoples disappointment in the game.

Inafune already owned up to it. Expect his panel to be him apologizing mostly.

I haven't fallen for it once though.