DRAGON QUEST

just finished the first one. despite being short it didn't felt as i dated as i imagined it would.

whats your favorite dragon quest?

whats the last one you played?

Other urls found in this thread:

g.e-hentai.org/g/871674/ff20a03e47/
exhentai.org/g/53611/430cdc1e1e/
nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-xi-may-receive-cross-save-functionality-between-3ds-and-ps4-with-passwords/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dragon Quest I is still one of the top 10 best NES/Famicom games. And has aged quite well like Zelda 1 did.

My favorite DQ is VIII though.

What'd you play it on?

>whats your favorite dragon quest?
VII

>whats the last one you played?
Heroes.

Waiting for builders, VII remake, VIII remake, and Heroes 2.

What's the best versions of the first 3 DQ games to play?

There's a Dragon Quest Collections on the Wii, not sure where to find a translation patch for it though.

>Favourite DQ
that would be V
the monster recruiting is simply perfect and makes me wish more games did it in the same way

>last played
the last one I played was DQ8 PS2, but since localization is confirmed I'll just play the 3DS version

Might just play them on iOS. They'll be nice for breaks at work.

there's no translation patch for the wii collection
it doesn't even matter since it only had the NES versions and the SNES versions and those are already translated separatedly

7PS1.
3 NES in japanese. It sucked.

Super Famicom remakes for all three. They have translations. Dragon Quest II especially benefits from the bigger resolution and better graphics.

went for the mobile since theres an hour and a half gap in between exams and needed to kill time

watch out for the ios version of 3 tho apparently it has a bug that square enix hasn't bothered to fix

which race did you pick chen?

Is there a way to switch it to landscape? I can't play this owl game ion portrait mode.

Not sure. III, IV, V, or VIII.

IX. I played through I-IX last year.

I am still playing III

Should I turn my Priest or Wizard to Sage?

not that i know of. you can always emulate them

Making them a Sage will get you every skill they could learn as a Priest or Mage. I'd say change one of your non magic classes into a sage, then turn your priest into a Fighter. Then you have a fighter that can cast heal.

If you really want an overpowered character, make your priest into a thief, grind out thief skills then make him/her a merchant and grid out merchant skills. Then turn them into a fighter. You have one character with every non magic skill in the game. And it only takes a few hours of leveling in the tower above Dharma Shrine.

Most definitely.

Great, thanks

I am still not in the darkness realm though and I heard there's a good leveling place there. Might switch my wizard after she gets BiKill

i remember you. must have been quite the journey.

yes. sage is the better class for both offensive and support magic. watch out tho you can only use the sage item once. after that only the bunny/clown class can become a sage. also remember that your stats get half every time you switch class so dont abuse it. you are better off reading more detailed guides and make sure your equipment didnt screw up your party's personality.

Yeah, it's west of... a town with a name I can't remember. Rimruldr or something. You can find Liquid Metal Slimes there often. By using the Dragoramu spell (think the name is different in English, but it's the spell that turns you into a dragon) you'll one hit every LMS still hanging around in the second round.

>i remember you. must have been quite the journey.

It was pretty fun for the most part.

Also, nearly ready.

thanks for the effort. really appreciate it

You know, I never even noticed the T/Sword thing until people pointed it out a few weeks ago...

Friendly reminder to actually buy a copy of Dragon Quest VII. To ensure more DQ games come over. Its also well worth it since you'll be spending $40 for a game with 150+ hours of gameplay.

Its entirely doable to get DQVII and VIII to sell a million copies in the west, as long as people support it and Nintendo doesn't under print them.

Who is this seed demon?

DQ3 on the Game Boy Color is probably one of my favorite games of all time.

I know the GBC port added some new stuff from the NES, but is there an even better version?

Aira. Or as she's known in the new localization, Aishe.

T/Sword?

>but is there an even better version?

In terms of visuals and audio, the SFC version. But I think the GBC version is basically the SFC version but with a new dungeon, monster medals, and lesser graphics and audio.

The T is a sword in the Japanese Dragon Quest logo. I didn't realize the American logo didn't use it.

i prefer the T personally since the sword kinda makes it seem like it reads dragon ques

3 and 9 are my favorites. I really like making your own party and roleplaying your own adventure more than defined characters

Buy DQ VII to find out!

I am the complete opposite. While I don't hate party creation, I prefer preset characters. It's also one of the reason I am not into wrpg in general

I'm just bad at roleplaying/using my imagination. I focus too much on the gameplay. I'd raher let the devs tell me the story.

Hrrrmmmm bad case of fan art looks way better then the source material.

I'm the same way. Dragon Quest III is really the only game where I liked party creation and it didn't impact the story. Every other game I try, it seems to impact the story. Even games like FFIII where you still have a set story.

I'm hoping the remake of DQVII fixes this problem. It has the potential to be the best story in the series. It just needs better class balancing to improve the flow of the game. And we know the shards have been fixed.

I haven't played the PSX version, so I can't compare, but I know there've been quite a few changes to the jobs and job system, so everything seems to have been re-balanced.

It's funny, I'm one of those people who can play turn based random encounter games for days on end but this is one series I've never actually played once.

or a cross and you know Nintendo

My favourite it the first one. I'm playing IX right now and having a ball though.

I was the same way. Give them a shot, you may like them.

Well I mean DQ has always been Toriyama for the most part so you should have expected something similar to his other designs.

Man, I'm glad I already played DQ VII 3DS and am not interested in Persona 5 of FF XV, or else September would be a hell of a month. As it is I'll get to focus on SMT IV Final.

My first RPG ever was the first Dragon Quest on NES. I hated it and cursed RPGs for 10 years. Until I finally tried stuff like Chrono Trigger and Suikoden and was hooked. Went back and played the DQ games and they became my favorite series in all of gaming.

Its one of those things where you need to be in the right mindset and know what you're getting into. And its not unique to just the west. It took tons of editorials and marketing campaigns to get Japan to even try Dragon Quest. Once they did though, history happened.

8 is probably my favorite just because of how gracefully the series made the transition to a more modern presentation. 5 is right up there though.

As for last played, that would be the android version of 8 which surprisingly works quite well and runs a lot better than it did when it was first launched.

>Its one of those things where you need to be in the right mindset and know what you're getting into

this is so true. ix was my first one and i made so many mistakes because of how unfamiliarized i was with the franchise. didn't hated it but the unnecessary grinding i forced myself into kept me away from trying the others until i gave V a shot and this time the concept clicked. VII is gonna need the right introduction in the west or it may accidentally turn off some players.

Yeah it took time for me too. I played DQ I and I thought it was fine. Not the greatest thing ever, but I kept in mind the time period it came from. It was fine. DQ II was better in many ways (and more annoying in others), but again, it was just okay. I played DQ III and got sucked into the game real fast and quickly became a fan.

Currently playing III sfc version, this shit is great. Getting the gaia sword at the moment. How much of the game would you guys say is left?

V

>whats the last one you played

Finally started replaying Monsters 1 after having not played it in years

VIII
Last one I played was VI and I enjoyed it a lot more the second time.

DQ7. Even with all the weird pacing issues its one hell of a emotional rollercoaster that kept me going.
DQ2. I respect it for what it tried to do but fuck me that game is just annoying to play.

Currently playing through dq5, I'm coming up to the marriage but none of the girls really interest me. Nera is definitely the worst, but I can't really decide between Bianca and Deborah.

Deborah if you want the best partychat and a good Physical attacker
Bianca is pretty much middle ground between Deborah and Nera in both Partychat and combat usefulness

Already played all of them to death. Any rom hack to make them feel fresh again?

I heard she is kind of a bitch in party chat? How bad is it? I don't mind banter, but I don't really want to marry the hero off to a cunt, hes had a hard life.

Milly best girl.

>DQ2. I respect it for what it tried to do but fuck me that game is just annoying to play.

>DQ II was better in many ways (and more annoying in others)

is it really that bad? i don't have a lot of patience

Deborah is a straight Tsundere and you get a ton of money for choosing her or Flora/Nera. Bianca is more of a gentle tomboy, but you don't get money. Neither choice really matters a few hours after you get married.

u wot m8?

she softens up as the game goes on, but it's clear that she's the one wih the pants on the relationship
it's good if you want some laughs

>I heard she is kind of a bitch in party chat? How bad is it?
For much of the game, your relationship with her is that you are her property. I wouldn't say she's a bitch to you, it's just that she's a rich girl and she considers you her toy.

Its one of those games where you feel frustrated while playing it, but then accomplished and nostalgic after finishing it. Basically, if you like more challenging games, it'll interest you. If you just want to coast through the game to see the story, it's not a good choice for you.

>is it really that bad? i don't have a lot of patience
If you use a walkthrough it's not that bad until the very end of the game. And if you use an emulator and savestate enough, the end isn't that bad either.

If you don't mind a relationship where the woman is clearly the one in charge it's not so bad.
But she really truly believes herself to be the one running the show. She probably acts that way in bed, too.

VIII
IX

Best girl from DQ6.
My favorite girl in the series is Moonbrooke Princess.

??
But she's a total dog

:^)

Does every final boss spam whack and sweet breath as much as Psaro? I swear to god if I wasn't a little buzzed I wouldn't have bothered finishing the game.

Even Horii said he feels it's not as good as it should have been. He said they rushed DQ2 to catch up with holiday shopping but because of that they couldn't fully playtest DQ2. So level balancing is all over the map when you get the boat. And all the items you need to get are pretty stupidly hidden.

Horii took all the problems DQ2 had and fixed every one of them in DQ3.

Well, every problem except still having to collect seals. Only in DQIII, they're orbs. But yes, aside from that one issue, DQIII is an improvement in every single way. One of the best sequels in gaming. Right up there with Suikoden II and Pokemon Emerald.

>So level balancing is all over the map when you get the boat

That's what made me drop the game. cryptic clues for the seals and getting punished hard for exploring the wrong place with no indication you're too weak to be there.

>She probably acts that way in bed, too.

That's what I liked about this one. Well, one of the things I liked about it.

g.e-hentai.org/g/871674/ff20a03e47/

Collecting items wasn't the problem in DQ2. It was finding them that was the problem. About 3 of them was fine but after that it was just a pain finding them. Even with the flute it was a fucking chore. When you were getting the Orbs in DQ3 it was easy to find them. "Oh hey a boulder I can move. Maybe I should look under there!" There wasn't really anything dickish like DQ2.

exhentai.org/g/53611/430cdc1e1e/
This is my favorite Deborah doujin. She doesn't have many, sadly, but this one is good.

Ah that one. Yeah, it's been in my To Translate list for months. I've been so busy with official and unofficial commissions that it kinda got forgotten. I'll try to get to it eventually.

>playing Monsters 1
>find item caled lovewater
>realize it's what's known as amor seco essence in VI's localization

iOS too? I had a Nexus 6 and then a LG V10 and it didn't work on either of those. I upgraded to the S7 Edge and it suddenly works again. Marshmallow must have dropped ART, or at least has it off by default.

Fuck just upgraded my Galaxy to an iPhone and forgot DQ ain't free on phones. I had been stealin it.

What's the best platform to play the early ones on. SNES I assume?

Yes

I & II : SNES
III : SNES
IV : DS
V : PS2 / DS
VI : DS
VII : 3DS
VIII : PS2 / 3DS
IX : DS
X : Lol

Only the NA games published by Nintendo don't use it. Notice that Heroes or Builders still have the sword.
Nintendo thought the sword made the game look kiddie, so they changed it.

Do you think DQ largely sided with Nintendo because FF went with Sony and DQ hates FF with a passion

Pointing out the /vr/ general for when this thread dies.

No. They always go with whatever the most popular console at their time

>the same company owns both franchises
>"DQ hates FF with a passion"
The real answer is that Dragon Quest games have traditionally been made for the highest selling platform.

>DQXI is going to have save transfers between PS4 and 3DS via passwords
You're madman, Horii!

That sounds interesting.

makes me wonder how different the two(three?) versions will actually be

I say "is going to" but it's more of a "maybe" at this point.
nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-xi-may-receive-cross-save-functionality-between-3ds-and-ps4-with-passwords/
There's not a lot of info about it, though. Dragon Quest development seems to be about as tight as Nintendo development. No one wants to share any fucking thing.

Sure

Turn your cleric into a wizard and your wizard into a sage. Gets you two magic users that can heal and blast the strong spells at the end of the game.

Not worth class changing your muscle at all.

So I found this old artwork yesterday and I actually started thinking.

How violent are the dragon quest games suppose to be interpreted?

in game isn't terribly violent. there's never any blood and gore unless the monster is designed that way

I mean you always fight against demon lord and they always slaughter the damn human without mercy

Also in 8 Dhoulmagus is literally a madman. I still can't forget the Marta scene. It's brutal

That's from the 80s. Remember, back then that sort of thing was for kids. Pic related was probably even considered kid friendly.