What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OtG6--4r_qk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gutted story elements, shit RNG in raids holding people at 29, repetative missions in the same environments over and over, perpetually garbage PvP balance

Poor upper management and Activision. If content wasn't cut, and the loot treadmill wasn't put in favor over narrative and rich world design, it would have been phenomenal.

activision ruining everything

the usual

Nothing. its still really popular. its always in the top 10 on twitch.

They scrapped the shitty plot but didn't delay the launch to fix it.

Wait isn't this the plot to the Marvel Comics Transformers?

Your character stops speaking the moment they add anything remotely plot related.

They forced Marty out over petty bullshit.

They escaped Microsoft's clutches only to flee directly into Activision's gaping maw.

The field of view is way too zoomed in seriously what the fuck.

The engine is apparently a nightmare to deal with which probably slows down and limits content generation.

It doesn't feel Marathon or Halo -y enough to be good despite being creatively bankrupt enough that it rips them both off every chance it gets.

The only PvP mode with vehicles is on infinite hiatus and buried deep within the playlists anyway.

Sparrow Racing on infinite hiatus too.

No proper tank levels.

Obscene invisible walls placement despite fully rendered terrain between sides.

Updates have rendered proper gear progression fucked.

Support for the game will probably drop soon due to Destiny 2 and we'll never get a Cabal raid.

Xur keeps skipping exotic Leg Day.

I'm still waiting for /vg/ to get me that Lighthouse Carry.

Alot at first, not much now. These days it's got enough content, actual plot, the grind isnt so bad (you can play for an hour or so and end up with some decent loot/feel like you accomplished something), a healthy player base and a fresh new expansion (an actual expansion not the 19.99 for a raid they tried to pull in year one) on the way.

In addition Destiny: Podracing edition is coming back in the winter. It's all looking pretty good to me.

Sparrow racing is back in December, and how is gear progression fucked? It's better than ever, with infusion you can literally use any year two or three gear set you want. That means there are now dozens of sets that can all me infused to be completely viable as opposed to just the raid gear.

Well basically you have two pieces of gear, the one you use at level 5 and the one you use at level 40.

So it seems like you interpreted what I said as something different. But bringing up infusion is a great opportunity for me to bring up an entirely new complaint about how more than half of the aesthetic styles in the game are still fucking locked behind unusable stats due to not having an infuseable equivalent.

>Cabal

why does bungo hate them so much

they have no fucking fluff what so ever yet they are the coolest faction

We have essentially wiped out the Cabal presence in the Milky Way and we have no idea when their actual fleet will arrive.

BUNGO STOP MAKING US FIGHT THE GAY DARKNESS AND GIVE US COOL CABAL SHIT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But user, you're supposed to go visit Bungie.net for the rest of your content, not play the actual game, silly!

:^^^)

I just posted this in another thread
Biggest video game disappointment? I would have to say Bungie is my biggest disappointment. I was hardcore into Halo, Marathon and Myth. They were my favorites. Bungie was my chosen one. They made hiccups, but their games kept coming out fantastic. I loved them up until Reach. Reach was fun IMO but I will forever think of it as a misstep. But I didn't care that much because they were just making a game to fulfill their contract with MS and then they could have their freedom to make whatever game they wanted.

Then Destiny was announced. It was everything I wanted. The team that was filled with my favorite people. Music by Marty O'Donnell. Story by Joe Staten. Led by Jason Jones. It was going to be perfect... I guess they signed a deal with Activision but what could go wrong, right?

Then a year to launch. Joe Staten leaves. HE LEAVES WITH A YEAR to go on this game they had been working on since the release of Halo 2. This amazing storyteller just leaves. Red flags go off. A few months go by. Marty is fucking fired. The heart and soul of the company are gone. Then a massive unrecognizable team using the Bungie logo put out Destiny.

I was still in denial when I was playing the beta. I was still in denial when I played regularly for two weeks. The game isn't shit or anything like that. Bungie just got rid of my favorite people. They are now basically an incredibly large generic AAA dev team. They add ridiculously overpriced DLC and microtransactions. They can't decide on a leveling system even now years after release.
The core game is actually okay. Shooting mechanics are best in industry. Marty's music is stellar (and the music post marty is good too). But the game is lifeless. NPCs are vending machines and nothing more. Bullet sponge enemies in a boring or nonexistent main story.

If you want to be depressed. Watch this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=OtG6--4r_qk

kek remember that lawsuit after they terminated the composer?
I'd say they sold their fucking souls is what what wrong.

Also I generally dislike shitty bullet sponge shooters.

Yeah there are a lot of good looking blues but as far as your level 40 gear goes that's completely up to you, sure it takes time but I have about 7 different complete sets but of legendary gear for my hunter. Now only about three of them are I fused high enough to be usable but that's three different sets I can alternate between for different perks and aesthetics.

My biggest gripe with the game is that entering and exiting orbit is sooo fucking boring to look at and takes too long for the massive number of times you have to do it.

Another interpretation of gear progression would be how light level infusion slows to a crawl once you pass 300. In the current system you're basically waiting on vanguard care packages, tier 3 court runes, and running Kermit of Muppets every week for the high score bonuses... just for a small light level bump to maybe a handful of your purples.

And let's not forget perk rolls. Thanks Banshee...

They have full theme songs for each planet and destination.

>It only plays for like 5 seconds as you exit warp.

>You star to miss Marty

Make Golden Chests great again.

The campaign and raids were never actually worth a fraction of the price tag until TTK released, and by that time spending over $60 on it was outrageous.

It's also not an MMO, but might have benefited from being one of the maps were bigger than the average halo map and you could fly that OMG LEGENDARY ship instead of it being restricted to fucking loading screens.everything about Destiny is a fucking disappointment, and I'm angry at myself for having stuck with the peice of shot for so long expecting it to get better.

SLR was the only unique thing they added.

The greatest question is how Bungie failed so terribly in incorporating the lore into the game. They could've shoved it into the weapon descriptions (well, there is a little in there, but it's dwarfed by the site encyclopedia), into collectables, Marathon-like terminals or NPCs, but they failed. Maybe they could've done that if they delayed the game a bit? The game just feels a weird kind of bland, everything is disjointed and nothing gets conclusions.

I'm pretty sure they needed a delay but had it squeezed out instead.

It's a shame. I'm typically in favor of delays if it promises a more polished product.

Activision

You can tell the game got butchered but corporate interference.

DUDE WHEN YOU SEE THESE EMOTES

>shitty bullet sponge shooters
It's just some bosses that are like bullet sponges. The rest and all other enemies aren't. I agree with your other comment.

man, I wanted to like destiny. I tried to dig into the lore. Some of it is alright I genuinely dig the hive,cabal and taken from a scifi fan point of view.
The vex and fallen were boring to me
. RNG leveling is immersion killing fluff.The palette swap enemies with homing bullets and spongey health pools are unbearable. barren call of dutyish map designs with terribly abusable lanes. pvp at it's worst is a lurchy uncomfortable cqc and dmr spam fest inbetween salvos of special moves and power weapons but can be reminiscent of swat on halo at it's best. destiny was a bad experiment in mmo and fps game design. it makes me sad that this is the model for products these days. i went in expecting it to be like halo mixed with borderlands and was disappointed

Completely disregarded story in an effort to shoehorn in MMO elements. If they would have just focused on making an FPS it would have been pretty good.

That salvos of special moves aspect of PvP is actually my favorite part because I play one of only two classes with an ability to shut off other abilities.

The worse one for PvP in most circumstances though.

It just brings a warm joy to my heart every time I see someone activate a channeled super and watch them swing impotently the moment I shut it off. Or watch a class that normally loves to open with an ability back off and fumble for their bigger gun the moment I disable their abilities.

I don't think that Destiny's problem is so much the story as the way it is implemented. They could've made it with very little story - but the game doesn't have any sort of mood to it, it doesn't feel like a coherent and living world. Marathon had a general air of mystery about it dropped via lore documents and the interesting AI characters, Halo was the story of humanity stumbling upon and tampering with shit it should've left alone in a desperate struggle to beat a foe that outmatched them in every possible field, Myth had a general grim aura and the same feeling of insurmountable odds against you - but Destiny is just a bunch of elements inspired from various kinds of fantasy and sci-fi just lumped in together and given very little in the way of anything conclusive. Warhammer 40k is a good example of a setting with a mix between fantasy and sci-fi with distinctive factions, but it has a very unique ("grimdark") mood to it.

I feel you.

I mean, I read the Book of Sorrows and kinda felt like despite it all I liked Oryx. Then I played Regicide and King's Fall and decided that I despised Oryx in execution.

The basic gameplay can be boiled down to spawn, go to marker, press square or X, fight a few waves, press square or X

I can't believe I bought the game. Thankfully I was able to smell the shit and stopped after less then 6 hours.

I am genuinely confused as to how people still play this game and how people think it is a good game. Bungie made some good games back on the day, but Destiny confirmed the degradation that Halo: Reach heavily hinted at.

If any one of you play this game, please explain to me why you willingly shovel shit down your throat and thinks it's gourmet

They sent a distress signal to their empire after we fucked them on the dreadnought. Wait for Destiny 2™.

The Fallen got a good lore, they were another race chosen by the Traveler but when the darkness apeared she leave them causing chaos, destruction and panic. They had to go into space piracy to try to get her back.

Rasputin's lore is the best one in the game, he knew the Traveler would betray us and blased a hole into her ass to keep her on Earth.

That theory is a lot less likely given the current lore. I used to believe that but now feel it's pretty clear he was PREPARED to attack the Traveler but that the Traveler really did just decide to not leave the solar system on its own accord for our sake and came back to Earth.