Maplestory NOSTALGIA

I'm looking for an MMORPG to play that can give me the same excitement I felt when playing Maplestory in 2005.

The game died for me around 2009 when Nexon watered it down and ruined it with p2w cashshop and embarrassingly stupid content. Since then I have tried countless other games and even some v62 private servers but its just not the same. Sometimes it feels like i'm clinging to something I will never get back, although Wonderking was amazing when it was around. If there are any other classic MS veterans on Sup Forums, what are you guys playing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tEbNoDZM7js
youtube.com/watch?v=1SrcTNmCAsY
youtube.com/watch?v=M6UapFAuKDY
youtube.com/watch?v=UClndMrSOdc
youtube.com/watch?v=mF103-stxnk
youtube.com/watch?v=s2_MAplvHeQ&index=41&list=PLARr36qkoiWa2hl6cXnBxNzU_xxLcQXs0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

come on faggots

It's gone user

>I'm looking for an MMORPG to play that can give me the same excitement I felt when playing Maplestory in 2005.

It doesn't exist and if there was one we'd all be playing it. If you overcome the need for the social aspedct there are many, many single player Japanese rpgs that you can immerse yourself in.

Thats what I did after Maplestory.

:.(

I tried it again earlier this year and nothings the same
its fucking shit

It's impossible.

You're simply too old to experience that now (Unless you're an autistic manchild.).

The part of your brain that kicks the wonderment and excitement into overdrive is severely atrophied now because it is useless to a grown man.

You just need to accept that and move on to a genre that will stimulate you in the appropriate ways.

>Log into Maplestory
>Hopping around in Kerning City trying to get into a group for the PQ
>Also hopping around trying to get into that third sewer grate

>Log into Ragnarok Online
>Theme of Gonryun kicks in
>Go to that stump on the island and chill out with some buds for a while

Good times.

Well the thing is, at the time of this game I was playing WoW and CS 1.6 and all sorts of other shit too but something about the unorthodox gameplay, unique world design, and dreamlike soundtrack to this game unlocked something in my brain. I have no doubt that part of it was fueled by my being 12 at the time but there has to be some kind of game out there now that has a similar aesthetic/experience. I've tried Dragonica, Nostale, La Tale, Dragon nest, just about everything you can imagine. Maplestory, Wonderking, and Dragonica just have something going for them that Im really drawn to but theyre all either broken or unpopulated

Mapleroyals

J>PQ CLERIC I GOT MAX HEAL!

S L I M E T R E E

I'm banned and my modem/router has an unchangeable mac address or I would be playing this broken ass but still nostolgic private server

>Tfw a pan lid drops

>tfw you're still playing maplestory

I'm telling you, what you're pining for has nothing to do with Maplestory.

It's bog standard nostalgia for when you were a kid.

Lot's of kids played Maplestory when they were 12, therefore lots of you remember Maplestory that way.

But you have matured and developed since then, therefore you won't feel those same emotions ever again. It's fucking over. You just have to accept it and move on.

>I'm looking for an MMORPG to play that can give me the same excitement I felt when playing Maplestory in 2005
The reason it gave you so much excitement was because it was 2005. You were younger, MMOs were fresh to you, it was a whole big world and a new experience.

You'll never get that feeling again.

youtube.com/watch?v=tEbNoDZM7js

I agree with what you're saying. But that doesn't mean there's not a newer game out there that could resemble maplestory/have been influenced by maplestory. Tree of savior for example looked like a very promising game until I played it and realized that its a stuttery unoptomized grindfest

Yeah it's okay during it's time, but thinking back it's not.
>Bishops
>literally killsteal everything with two skills: Teleport and Genesis
>highest nuking damage
>free bonus exp buff
>can tank everything with Magic Guard because of their massive MP
>no need to buy mounts (expensive af) because of teleport
>no need to HP wash (expensive af as well)
>resurrect dumbasses
>no need to buy HP potions because they have a skill that heals them back to 90%
>no need to buy cure status potions because of Dispel
What were they thinking

IDK man... something about that game with the music and gameplay was just so spectacular and drew me in more than any game has since then...

Playing Omok on board the ship to Orbis and telling noobs to go outside to see the Balrog and watch them die and cuss you out cause they're back at Elinia...

Or trying to arrange the "@" symbols in a way that makes your message stand out in Free Market...

KS Wars....

Getting into meaningful conversations with people...

Will there ever be a better game?

Too bad Wizet let the Jews take over :(

>can tank everything with Magic Guard because of their massive MP
I was a Mage and I can assure you it was not as OP as you think. You were still very prone to dying.

OP here
It might sound ridiculous to someone who never got to experience what we're discribing, but the stars aligned with this game when it was under Wizets control. In my years of playing games it was the closest thing to a actual alternative world I ever experienced. I woke up every day and the first thing I wanted to do was check my shop in the FM before I got on the bus to go to school. Despite having cartoony anime graphics and continuity problems everywhere, there was just something so collectively special about this game. Most times it felt more important to me than real life.

I was a Priest with magic guard. You are still prone to dying.

Yeah, I remember those days man. I'd take "sick"days just to grab a platform at FOG and grind all day.

Hell, I even miss glitch PQing in Orbis and stealing all those pieces... That was some good exp back in the day.

Signed on recently, the game has gone to shit. Getting 4th job isn't even an achievement anymore..

so what games are you playing otherwise? If any at all.

The apple suits.

I pretty much just play War Thunder now. It's massive enough to keep me entertained but it's a different kind of feeling. I miss the social aspect of playing MS. Sometimes I wonder to myself, was it a game with a built in chat or was it a giant chat program with a built in game?

Saved. Nice old screenshot, I started playing when Khaini was the newest server.

oh god the nostalgia feels youtube.com/watch?v=1SrcTNmCAsY

ENOUGH
ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH

youtube.com/watch?v=M6UapFAuKDY

Shit if someone put it all on a CD I'd buy it... So Trance-inducing. My brain is literally younger right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=UClndMrSOdc

I can hear the little ticks and tick tocks dying and getting hit in my head!

same here user. This was always my favorite
youtube.com/watch?v=mF103-stxnk

f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4

And they took those tree dungeons away in later versions, no more finding that pan lid in the mushroom tree!

Oh hey it's raining all of a sudden

DFO is on steam right now and I always a Dungeon Crawler kinda guy (Lunia Online, a bunch of other korean shit) so yeah

I'm going full manual and I feel like I'm playing a beat'em up on crack

lost my virginity in maple story. so many memories associated with that game

Oh fuck I miss it so badly, every single music track gets me

>they took those tree dungeons away in later versions
yeah i remember. i ended up getting a cygnus to 120 in order to make a UA paladin.. it's level 155 if i remember correctly and i remember going afk at chaos zakum to piss and not being dead when i got back

I wanted to play DFO so hard but fuck windowed mode, shit looks so TINY in my screen, there's also the fuckall stuff in the UI, i dont get most of the stuff on the screen and the skills windows with the "Input" commands dont even say what im supposed to press to do it, i honestly used the same 1 skill until lvl 20 because i didn't know how to do the others and refused to use them on buttons press instead of input commands.

Im honestly looking for a FPSRPG like Borderlands/Destiny/The Division, already played the shit out of all of those, anything else?

Face it you're old now. That childlike feeling of wonder, excitement, and joy are now out of reach. Best you can do is nostalgia but it won't ever be as good as the first time.

in the spirit of preserving some of the magic of this lost game, I propose that we all figure out some way to stay in contact with each other and maybe even play games together. Try and rekindle the original comradery of the game. How could we do this?

i refuse to accept this. there would be no point to playing games if this were true.

I think I only enjoyed Maple because I grew up poor and only had a toaster to play on

>tfw you will never sit in FM spamming @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@

They usually have the button combos on the skill selection flavor text; usually they have arrows and either Z, X, or C.

I play a lot of MMOFPS too. Aside from the online "competitive" lobby fps like GUNz, Combat Arms, S4 League etc.

most of the open-world MMOFPS are western.
I can't really vouch for quality but there's Global Agenda and Firefall. Planet Side 2 is less RPG-like but has MMO elements in that it's pretty easy to hop in and meet a bunch of people working towards the same goal.

We all play different games now :(

B> EOS TOWER SCROLLS @@@@@@@ @ @@@@@@@ @

youtube.com/watch?v=s2_MAplvHeQ&index=41&list=PLARr36qkoiWa2hl6cXnBxNzU_xxLcQXs0

ark survival online is the closest ive gotten...but i basically play solo because im 30 and a shitty human being or sonething

What did Hoonani have to say?

it doesnt have to be that way :) that was more or less the purpose of this thread. I want to immerse myself once again in a game with players who share like minded interests and remember what the best MMO ever was like. Its not always the game that makes it special. Theres all this talk about MMOs dying because of a lack of social interaction among players but this could be how we fix it.

You fucked up by not getting your 2nd job advancement yet... Those points will never be recovered!

man I miss everything

why did Nexon have to ruin the game

shiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

The reason I play War Thunder is that I got into a really cool squad and we know each other for a few years now. We'll go on TS and bullshit just to talk and occasionally play some games. I had to go out and find it though..

CAN YOU DO BACKSHOT

you can go back and play a private server and it won't be the same, you grew up, it's not the game

He was going to tell that mage girl that he likes and wants to be her MapleStory boyfriend

Omg I remember that! Wow!
Hey, remember that glitch where you put some items in trade and press TAB TAB Space Enter really fast and it duplicates it in your inventory? Let's give it a shot!

I had so much shit stolen from me in drop games man it was ridiculous