Well?

Well?

Dark Souls

We all know that FF6 is a timeless masterpiece, but is it better than FF9?

Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre (PSP), Growlanser, Wayfarer of Time are all good less obvious choices

Xenoblade

I feel like this requires reviving the debate of whether JRPG and WRPG are about where the game was made, or about the genre of the game.

Pretty sure it's the latter. Dark Souls is a Western RPG. That was made in Japan. Fight me.

In all seriousness, this is probably the best answer.

final fantasy VII

man wayfarer of time is a hard but nonetheless great game

Suikoden II.

Dragon Quest V.

There's no debate.

its a Jrpg

See and and kill yourselves.

Chrono Trigger
FF7
FFT
Tactics Ogre
Vagrant Story
Suikoden 2
Baten Kaitos
Earthbound
SMT Nocturne
DQ5
Radiant Historia

ok anons, whats the Comfiest JRPG
Also if anyone has the gif of the chrono trigger characters in the carnival with the colorful blinking lights please do post it, i love that gif.

see

Dark Souls

dark souls is an arpg made in japan
it has nothing to do with the west and themes of the game are more eastern than western

I see a lot of people saying Dark Souls in this thread. While it is an amazing game, OP said JRPGs, not RPGs that are of Japanese origin.

so the Legend of Zelda ?

>OP said Japanese RPGs, not RPGs that are of Japanese origin.

you are a fucking cretin if you even believe the second part of your post. how is the entire theming in Dark Souls not a fucking D&D campaign?

X was better

FF7
SMT4
Tales of Vesperia
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8

Otherwise known as the "if you don't enjoy any of these games you wont enjoy the genre" 5

comfiest is probably tales of eternia
godly sprite work, insanely comfy atmosphere supported by cute location and dungeon design
hell you will travel by train at some point which is the comfiness itself

>OP never even used the word Japanese
>implying he did

Characters weren't that great, especially Tiz

I'm not implying anything, I'm quoting a post.

The only reason I would tell people to play this is so they can know how quickly a JRPG can turn to shit and so they can realize the importance of plot. This game fell apart in the second half and it was way too easy to cheese every boss fight. The plot took a nosedive too.

This is a very well balanced list.

jrpgs are heavily inspired by d&d and wizardry to begin with to a point the very first FF had blatantly ripped from d&d bestiary and classes
so what?

This

i really disliked FF7 but love the genre
couldnt get past golden saucer felt like a drag

>SMT4
how about no

Your "quote" includes a picture that doesn't have the word you "quoted" anywhere in it. Do you even grasp English?

I haven't played Versperia but I love the rest of those excluding Chrono Trigger. It just never stuck with me

>picture
Apparently I don't, because I have no idea what you're even talking about.

I must actually concede this point to Final Fantasy (da first) at the very least. Can't really put that to a litmus between WRPG or JRPG.

>Tales of Vesperia

There's literally no reason to play any Tales game ever.

They're trash.

>Chrono Trigger
>Final Fantasy 5, 6, 7, Tactics
>Dragon Quest 8 (maybe others, I admit to being a DQ casual and have only played like three of them)
>Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, Vesperia
>SMT Nocturne, SJ, probably worth trying a DeSu game and a Persona game at some point
>Xenogears
>Wild Arms 2
>Suikoden 2
>Ys OiF, others depending on taste
>Trails in the Sky
>Radiant Historia
>Super Mario RPG, M&L Superstar Saga, first two Paper Mario games
>Mother 3
>Dark Cloud 1 & 2
>Lufia 2

Pleb incarnate

4 is miles ahead

4 is shit compared to 3

>Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, Vesperia
more like eternia, abyss, vesperia

Do you enjoy any of the other 4?

4 has one of the best stories in jrpg on top of vastly improved combat system which i consider one of the best turn-based jrpg systems in existence, with great combo system that opened up a lot of cool combinations

3 is an unbalanced pile of shit with horrible pacing and all party members being useless with the exception of Ruy who assrapes the game singlehandedly

It's okay, take my hand. I'll walk you through it slowly.
>OP: Picture that says "The JRPGs You Must Play", and post text that says "Well?"

>Post is made stating that the word "Japanese" was never used, even though semantics could be made about what the phrase "JRPG" even means.

>Post is made changing the content of the post it is replying to, implying

>Reply is made accusing poster of implication

>Defense is made suggesting that a post was being "quoted" with a gross misunderstanding of what the word "quote" means.

Please, continue.

>Final Fantasy 5, 6, 7, Tactics
>no IV
Come on now, at least be consistent

yup, played all of them, havent finished SMT4 tho, but i really do like it

Here's your (You)

I always thought FFVI was comfy. The start at least in Marsche.

So the post rings true, my friend

I don't think so. Ff6 tries to be a lot more epic, but I found it to lack the charm of ff9. I don't really know what it is about 9 that I love so much. I think it's also the fact that it threw out the last few ff games attempt at realism.

Best answer.

Accepting when you've made a mistake needn't be so hard, user-kun.

>FF7
Good game, but I would probably recommend 9. 7 did not age very well, so it would probably throw OP off.

>SMT4
Not a fan of it. Would recommend either Soul Hackers or Nocturne.

>Tales of Vesperia
Every Tales of game are pretty much the same imo.

>Chrono Trigger
Good choice. Make sure that it is the DS version in case OP wants to play Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross.

>Dragon Quest 8
Pretty good choice. Would also recommend IX if OP wants to make his own character and doesn't care about the graphics.

Screencapped

50 plus replies and not a single mention of Terranigma. What the fuck.

Only play eternia on psp with an undub patch. Nobody should suffer through the dub.

This guy disagrees

Star Ocean 2
FF5
Valkyrie Profile
SMT2

>tfw no way to bring back the skits

That's a pretty generic cross-section of the genre. I don't like any of those games but I love Mario RPGs, the Mother series, and Western indie JRPGs like Barkley and Lisa.

Hoo boy, that game... What else can be said about that game other than... hoo boy.

>how is the entire theming in Dark Souls not a fucking D&D campaign?

It's an objectively mediocre game that you only like because you played it when you were 6 years old.

First post, is the fucking worst post. Single player action games are not JRPGs. Even FFXV is getting shit for becoming this.

>Western indie JRPGs like Barkley and Lisa.
>Lisa
>JRPG
Go away

SMT I-IV and Strange Journey
Xenogears, Xenosaga optional, Xenoblade

No Phantasy Star 4 mentioned. I hate you all

>7 did not age very well

Beat it for the first time this year and it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

7th Dragon 3 code VFD
Etrian Odyssey (all)
SMT, soul hackers is a great start, also strange journey
TWEWY
Radiant Historia
Dragon Quest, V is a great starting point, VIII too
Monster Hunter (inb4 not a jrpg)
Final Fantasy, 4 is a great starting point (or at least it was for me)

I actually like Eternia and Abyss more than Symphonia, and a tiny bit more than Phantasia, but put those there because they're more like the "typical" Tales game for people who haven't played the series.

Honestly I wanted to just say every SNES and PS1 Final Fantasy (barring the non-RPG spinoffs and maybe 8) but felt like I was just letting my inner FFbabby influence that choice too much, so I cut it down.

>Western indie JRPGs
>

>I can't argue his point with actual counter-points or evidence to the contrary, so I'll post a giggling anime girl.

I remember when Sup Forums actually made arguments instead of le meme-ing.

(You)

Fragile Dreams

not a jrpg

I understand liking Eternia, but abyss was just unejoyable.

Define the genre.

Shadow Hearts: From The New World
Any of the Etrian Odyssey games.

There is a fuckton of good RPGs on the PS2, so I'd just recommend looking through its library.

> thinks he deserves better

Didn't we already have this retarded debate earlier in the thread? JRPG is a style of RPG, it has nothing to do with the country of origin.

If you go to a Chinese restaurant in New York, you're eating Chinese food. It doesn't matter that it's made in America by American citizens, the STYLE is Chinese so it's Chinese food.
>hurr durr food analogy

ITT: It's not anime if it uses a slightly different style from what I'm used to
I bet some of you don't think Berserk is an anime either

WRPG
retards thinking that dark souls is not a jrpg are hilarious especially when you remind them what served an inspiration for jrpgs to begin with

Vesperia is actually good, tho.
Could have been named "Children of the stars" or someshit and would have been good still.

>only two mentions of valkyrie profile

shakin my bacon, I thought you were better than this Sup Forums

What JRPGs have been made outside of Japan?

>Monster Hunter (inb4 not a jrpg)
Hunting games straddle the line between action and action-JRPG pretty hard.

I have to say that they aren't RPGs because the things you unlock are just equips. Otherwise Metroid might as well be an RPG

>continues to admit he has no argument

It's okay user-kun, you can just admit I'm right if you don't want to make your argument.

>inb4 I don't have to make an argument because CLEARLY I'm above this discussion
>not realizing this is what an autist does

Dark Souls is far from western. Do you really think it is just because it has a grimdark setting and white characters? What about Dead to Rights? Is it also not a Japanese anime game because of how they drew it? It's fucking ridiculous anyway.

It's a pretty grey area. People associate turn-based combat and random encounters with JRPGs when shit like Wizardry and Ultima started it, whilst Japanese companies like Falcom and Konami pioneered Action RPGs before most western developers really got into it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that the interpretation is pretty open.

An autist would go into great detail in why you're wrong.

I see people recommending Suikoden 2, but one of the best moments of Suikoden 2 was to find Viktor and Flik were still alive after Suikoden 1.

I wouldn't have enjoyed Suikoden 2 as much as I did if I didn't play the first beforehand.

Dust
On The Rain-Slick Precipice Of Darkness
Anachronox

To name a few.

playing through the suiko1 was painful even back in the days, i won't recommend anyone to slog through it now

You're using the wrong terminology.