I have a sudden urge for some dark fantasy

I have a sudden urge for some dark fantasy.

What dark fantasy-themed games do you lads recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pfzeQFCzgxM
store.steampowered.com/app/226920/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i can recommend the anima game if you just want setting

Dark Souls

What makes a fantasy "dark"? I never understood that.

Dark Souls

Just a grim setting, dark forces, races very prevalent (dark elves and so on). Thats it I guess for the most part.
I haven't played much of Pillars of Eternity, but the beginning is very /dark fantasy/

Dark Souls III

dark fantasy

The themes at play, when it's done best. Madness, death, futility etc. Somehow these are integrated into the magic and the lore of the setting.

nahm PoE is more of a /boring fantasy/ genre

Something other than Souls games would be nice. Already played them all.

Darkest Dungeon?

Darkest Dungeon?

It's set in a fantasy universe but features things considered more adult or horrible. Rape, blood, torture, cursing, realistic effects of war, Kingdoms fighting where there is no clear good guy or bad guy, orphans having miserable lives instead of disney-esque adventures. That kind of shit. Light fantasy doesn't have those things, or at least doesn't feature them as prominently.

Left chick is pretty cute

Are you looking for something special?

Grim Dawn
Total War Warhammer
Warhammer Vermintide
Darkest Dungeon
Lords of the Fallen
Dragon Age Origins

Might and Magic: Dark Messiah.
It even has dark in the name.

Darkest Dungeon!

Shadow of Mordor maybe?

Too bad this was cancelled
youtube.com/watch?v=pfzeQFCzgxM

There is a big focus on negative or evil themes. Such things are considered the norm, as opposed to something out of the ordinary for a normal person in the setting.

On top of what everyone else said, usually you look at light fantasy worlds like Lord of the Rings and go "wow cool i want to live there look at all the neat stuff" whereas dark fantasy takes a more realistic approach to a world infested with monsters and magic, ie a shithole where innocents are regularly slaughtered and humanity lives or barely survives in fear of the darker forces at work.

Also, most of them have similar visual styles for some reason, like Dark Souls or Twilight Princess.

It got shitcanned. Though the wording the devs used in the cancellation statement suggests there's a chance they'll revisit it at some point.

store.steampowered.com/app/226920/

The only not dark part of LotR is Shire and the nearby towns protected by the Dunedain from all the horrors. The rest of the world is on the brink of destruction.

There are some theories that the Souls universe is way future Middle Earth

dwarf fortress
the van helsing games despite their issues
neverwinter nights
baldurs gate

To be honest im looking for some fantasy games with endless character progression and growth, so that retarded roller coaster antics can occur, or something with skill gain from using skills instead of being picked each level.

Yeah, it maybe wasn't the best example, I don't know a lot about LotR. But the world seems very peaceful without Sauron in the process of fucking it up at least.

>There are some theories that the Souls universe is way future Middle Earth
That sounds ridiculous.

does DA:O count as dark?