What vidya series has the most cumulative words?

What vidya series has the most cumulative words?

Other urls found in this thread:

rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423?page=4
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3110466/Game-Thrones-creator-defends-rape-scenes-Author-says-dishonest-boring-leave-sexual-violence.html
fanfiction.net/s/4112682
quillette.com/2015/12/04/rebellious-scientist-surprising-truth-about-stereotypes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

warcraft, MGS, Pokemon

Fantasy book series are the fucking worst.

Planescape torment

I don't understand why they need to go on for 10+ books with a single running plotline

Pratchett was smart to make every Discworld self-contained

Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest VII alone has more words than most RPG series.

>Read the Wheel of Time
>Twice

>I don't understand why they need to go on for 10+ books with a single running plotline
90% of fantasy books are trying to copy the format of Tolkien. Hell, 90% of fantasy books are just recycled dark elves, orcs and humans in a renamed world.

It's a good series. Well worth the time investment.

>bought the first wheel of time book
>couldn't get through it because it kept shifting to new characters right before something would happen

How true is this picture?

Nobody has tried to copy Tolkien in a long time, in fact the average fantasy writer today probably hates Tolkien and tries hard to get away from him. Now everyone wants to copy Song of Ice and Fire. This is for two big reasons, the first being that how big an influence LOTR was, and the second being that in our wonderful postmodern world Tolkien's themes are seen as old-fashioned, quaint or shallow (see GRRM talking about how LOTR is bad because there's not enough rape and Aragorn's tax policy is never discussed)

Personally I can't fucking stand fantasy any more even in a pulpy sense because it really has all blended together into this same muddy brown shithole where everyone is at the very least a prick, squalor is everywhere, invincible Darksteel villains can kill anyone at any time and never be challenged or get their comeuppance (that dude form Malazan comes to mind who's like 10K years old by the way) and there's always some really hamfisted political """intrigue""" going on with cunt nobles with pinched cunty faces. I'm sick of it. I'll stick with cheesy D&D shit from the 80's.

>Personally I can't fucking stand fantasy any more even in a pulpy sense because it really has all blended together into this same muddy brown shithole where everyone is at the very least a prick, squalor is everywhere, invincible Darksteel villains can kill anyone at any time and never be challenged or get their comeuppance (that dude form Malazan comes to mind who's like 10K years old by the way) and there's always some really hamfisted political """intrigue""" going on with cunt nobles with pinched cunty faces. I'm sick of it. I'll stick with cheesy D&D shit from the 80's.

Funny because I'm writing a fantasy novel right now that specifically goes against everything you just named. And I wasn't doing it on purpose. Just through the course of writing it, I wrote a huge political intrigue story, recognized it was cliche, then rewrote it so the politics was secondary to the main love story.

Originally, my story was meant as a parody to the cliches of RPGs. Seems maybe I've hit upon some modern fantasy cliches without even recognizing it.

I'm on my third reading, nearing the end of ToM. I'm reading parallel with my wife her first read-through, it's nice to talk with her about these characters I've known for 15 years.

I sometimes dream of a gigantic mmo game set in Rand land, where you can play as a Warder, Aes Sedai, ashaman, aiel, two river bowman, trolloc, wilder, athanmiere, tuathan, andoran guard, ogier, seanchan deathguard... And the world is just filled with small sidequests. There is a closed single player version which follows the books and features the main characters. Dlc is of the second age, Shara, seachan world.
you can get an angreal as pre-order bonus

Fairly true even though it's hot opinions.

So even with all that being true you still liked it all enough to reread?
I'm legit asking because I started Eye of the World and really appreciate the old fashioned sense of going out on the big adventure but I don't know if I want to go further.

This critique is very badly written, I understand some points but here those points are overstated so much it becomes ridiculous.

you guys that like Wheel of Time should check out Kingkiller chronicles, really good read

>mazalan
black company is better

Eye of the world is genuinly one of if not the worst book in the series. It gets a lot better later on. Don't believe the haters, while book 8, 9 and 10 are slower they are okay if you can marathon them. A lot of hate comes from people who waited years for below average plot movements.

>fantasy novel
>the politics was secondary to the main love story
I'm sorry but you immediately lost me after this.

Like said, it's overstated.
It's long and fleshed out enough to wade into and understand the complexities, which seemed like his biggest complaint.

I liked the first one (a lot) but the second one felt derivative and sluggish. Especially the whole fairy arc felt like garbage (plotwise). Prose wise he is probably better thans Jordan, but I'm not a native speaker so who knows.

To be fair, I don't even consider it fantasy. But the fact that it has magic and is set in a pre industrial era, publishers will label it 'fantasy'. Its more akin to the game series Suikoden.

Many of the books who try to go against Tolkien end up still using his formula. They just change the character archetypes and the setting. Or they don't even do that much. They just replace 'elves' with 'dark elves' and tell a story set in a 'dark forest'.

>and the second being that in our wonderful postmodern world Tolkien's themes are seen as old-fashioned, quaint or shallow (see GRRM talking about how LOTR is bad because there's not enough rape and Aragorn's tax policy is never discussed)
Postmodernism is fucking cancer. Its incredibly fucking refreshing to read a story that is just a story these days, when every fucking author is trying to make them more than that.

If we're talking whole serie, probably Legend of Heroes.

The problem isn't just the authors. Its publishers who are specifically looking for 'multi layered' stories. There are plenty of unique, simple stories out there. But that doesn't mean they get published.

Its like how in Hollywood, everything has to have some kind of social media/identity politics tie in right now.

>GRRM talking about how LOTR is bad because there's not enough rape and Aragorn's tax policy is never discussed

Is this a hot meme of did he really do this?

He actually did say that in an interview. But it was kind of just a tangent which people have latched onto. But given his writing style, focusing so much on emphasizing rape and death, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he really does think.

Either Legend of Heroes or a random eroge most likely

Which format is that? Multiple books?

because LOTR is one written book, published as 3 separate books

Someone post the fanfic already.

rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423?page=4

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3110466/Game-Thrones-creator-defends-rape-scenes-Author-says-dishonest-boring-leave-sexual-violence.html

>'But if you’re going to write about war, and you just want to include all the cool battles and heroes killing a lot of orcs and things like that and you don’t portray [sexual violence], then there’s something fundamentally dishonest about that.

the fat fuck wrote a literal fanfiction where Jaime Lannister beats up the protag of Wheel of Time and then rambles about how much harsher and morally ambiguous Westeros is.
Brandon Sanderson wrote a rebuttal taking the piss out of the whole thing and exposing it for how childish it was and I can only imagine the fat fuck must've shit his XXXL adult diapers at being rebuked.

I hate the guy so much more now.

>because LOTR is one written book, published as 3 separate books
Well, its actually 6 books if you look at the way it is 'formatted'.

Legend of Heroes or Final Fantasy

>Discworld fading out towards the end

Super Smash Bros Brawl and you know it.

>Pratchett was smart to make every Discworld self-contained
It had its downsides. It led to him having to characterize every character and explain the setting in every single book. It got really annoying to read after a while.

The night watch series was my favorite, too bad no more.

Why do the Discworld ones fade? Is it to do with TP's mind fading? ;_;

To answer the question though, probably something like Dragon Quest

>edit that shows two mlp fanfics at 1.4 and 1.7 mil words
>and katawa shojo /vg/ general at 7 million

>Pre-order bonuses in your fucking fantasies
Really?

What else is there to read?

>Tolkien's themes are seen as old-fashioned, quaint or shallow
I mean, they might be. Doesn't make them bad

Tolkien goes in depth with a lot of things, but asks you to take a lot at face value. He explains how things are and doesn't deviate from it usually. A lot of it is in the form of how races behave. Hobbits like to eat, elves are wise, orcs are evil, men are courageous, dwarves are greedy and stout, etc. This IS an antiquated idea, and many have indeed pointed out that maybe they are racist caricatures of real life (i dont think so). Either way, the idea that your DNA prescribes your affinities, tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses is one rooted in the past, one that makes people uncomfortable. These days, people want to see that races GENERALLY behave a certain way, but individuality is preserved and certain individuals can choose a different path. Tolkien's sense of individuality is more in the form of how strong willed, talented, courageous, wise, etc a person is, rather than their moral compass or whatever.Tolkien is fairly black and white, modern stories are more grey

Legend of Heroes.. The Sora no Kiseki trilogy have 8 million words (in Japanese) 3 million words (translated) for it's story dialogue, not counting NPC dialogue. And we are not counting Sen no Kiseki

All my fantasys are pay 2 win and I'm always broke

>this fantasy isnt real enough!

holy shit

people loved tolkien precisely because it was good fantasy. They don't want historical fiction

>(that dude form Malazan comes to mind who's like 10K years old by the way)
I'm curious what character this is. Anomander Rake? Icarium?

right

I kinda hate when authors write separate "books" within a single tangible hold-in-my-hands "book object"

I've just busted into The Brothers Karamozov. Looks like I'll have to deal with that some more

I don't remember his name but he was the 10 billion year old king who was cursed to suffer for eternity or some shit and killed Whiskeyjack and like a dozen other characters then just drops out of the story forever

What about Dune?

there's 1 really good book, then 2 shorter ones, followed by a shitload of his Son's dune fanfiction

>mfw I prefer realistic fantasy

Martin's writing isn't realistic. Its just extreme. He also fails to develop 3/4 his characters.

His writing is closer to a Shounen like Kenshin. But with tons of superfluous rape and gore.

>followed by a shitload of his Son's dune fanfiction
Co written by one of the bad Star Wars authors.

The thing about Martin is that he deflects all criticism against him as 'WELL somebody doesn't know about real life history :^)" when the shit he puts out has no historical basis at all

Oh, right. Kallor. Yeah, that trailed off. To be fair there are a lot of loose ends.

what do you like specifically? which books?

I agree. He's an idiot. But idiots tend to be the ones who get lucky.

>list some books so I can mock your taste as shit
You think this is my first day on Sup Forums?

so is GoT hot garbage for normies then?

It's breaking bad tier normie garbage

I'm just curious desu

I don't read realistic fantasy. I'm curious about what's decent

Thanks doc

but BB is good tho

Brothers K is unfinished, if I remember correctly.
It's been a long ass time since I read it.

Game of Thrones is different from the books it is based on. But the main reason people watch it is because its something different. And I don't mean story content. The vast majority of people don't give two shits about the political plot (as you can see with it going nowhere over 7 seasons). What they care about is the violence and sex. Something they can't get on prime time TV (although shit shows like Chicago Fire and Code Black are trying their best to appeal to the same group).

I guess I meant the books

i already knew the show was meh

I love the books. I don't agree with what you're saying, people generally do enjoy the political intrigue of the television series, and a lot of reaction to the later seasons has been pretty mediocre, even by a general audience.

I don't know a single TV viewer that watches the show for the nudity or sex, which there isn't as much of as people make their out to be.

Legend of Heroes

Don't you fucking put Breaking Bad in with that cesspit of a show from HBO.

>people generally do enjoy the political intrigue of the television series
And your basis for this claim is...?

>I don't know a single TV viewer that watches the show for the nudity or sex
TV reviewers aren't the general public. And of course TV reviewers are going to try and find something else to talk about. That doesn't mean that's what the public cares about.

>which there isn't as much of as people make their out to be.
Are you kidding? Game of Thrones is the epitome of unnecessary sex and violence. Take all the sex and violence scenes in the show. Now how many of them actually 1) Developed a character or 2) Had connections to the main plot? Less than half of them. Most of the time, its just two characters walking intro a brothel and oh look, a ton of naked girls in the middle of an orgy! While the main characters keep walking and talking about some Stark kid. Its the epitome of superfluous sex added just to keep the viewers awake during a boring political conversation.

I wonder how many words the Legend of Drizzt has. That fucking autistic blob is STILL writing books about that fucking Drow, and the first one was published in like the 80s.

>I don't know a single TV viewer that watches the show for the nudity or sex

how many people do you know that watch the show? Because I can assure you that I know many. Not all of them of course, but even then,all of them barely even care about anything that isn't daenerys with MUH DRAGONZ and jon fucking things up. Sadly I'm dead serious. I can assure you that most of them still think that Cersei killed Jon Arryn.

>Nynaeve tugged her braid.

I was expecting that one Brawl fanfiction to be the one on the bottom, ins't it at something like six million words? What about the Twilight and Harry Potter ones?

I think the Brawl one is actually the longest work ever written in history

Just had a look at goodreads: steady ~70k ratings, I'm surprised it's this popular!

I never bothered, looked like a generic fantasy series #45. I read a bit of the drzzzzzzzt series (6 first books I think, and there's like 30 of them) and that was a steaming emo dump and put me off the genre. Unless it's something unique like Discworld, First Law or anything that isn't just a generic fantasy I'm not bothering.

I swear some of these are computer generated, like sport reports are now.

Its kind of hard to even classify realistic fantasy since publishers and stores just lump everything into fantasy. Take for example 'A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court'. Its clearly a science fantasy book, dealing with time travel, altering the past and a comedic comparison of how science would be considered magic to people who have never seen it. But does it get put in the Fantasy or SciFi sections? Nope, they put it under the 'classics' section, based on who wrote it.

Then the exact opposite happens if someone tries to write a new book with the same realistic tone. One mention of magic or time travel and its shoved into the Fantasy/SciFi section.

Kiseki on it's entirety probably.

I would say Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age.

I wouldn't be crazy enough to read it a second time.
Everyone in that world is a moron or an asshole.

fanfiction.net/s/4112682

4,061,129 words.
I wonder if anyone has ever read the whole thing through.

I read most of it (probably around the point it was 3 million or so?) Years ago.
It sucks. A lot. I wasted a lot of time.

While he used some hyperbole for effect, the overall critique is entirely accurate. The books are absolutely filled with pointless fetishism, dozens of pages spent describing the attire of minor characters who appear out of nowhere and get 1 chapter a book for 4 books, and a bizarre strand of that misogynist feminism that would not become popular until a decade after the first book's publication.

Wasn't it Planescape Torment?

... So George RR Martin is a fucking retard. Every one of his complaints about Aragon ruling were not the point of the book. Aragon does not even become king until after the One Ring and Sauron is destroyed, and the books were only concerned with that chapter of his life. Even then it touched on the incompetence and ego of the Reagents and other people.

The only ruling the books went into were how Hobbits lived, and it went pretty in depth into it.

Glad I stopped reading SoIaF a decade ago.

>Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>This IS an antiquated idea
And it is an idea becoming popular again and more and more studies show that stereotyping accurately is one thing humans are very good at.
quillette.com/2015/12/04/rebellious-scientist-surprising-truth-about-stereotypes/

Planescape certainly has the best story. But I don't think it's a contender for most words.

As I recall Tolkien always regretted writing the Orcs as all evil but couldn't find any good way around it.

He pretty much explained that Orcs were created by Souron and 'twisted to become evil'. So he basically did write them to be evil. But only because at the time of the Third Age, they had gone through thousands of years of worshiping Souron.

Black Company got progressively worse for me. By the time Croaker becomes the captain, I'd lost all interest. I still have the last omnibus gathering dust on my shelf.

Huh, nice article.

How does a wheel of time work? What happens if i replace the wheels on my car with wheels of time?

what time period would you want to live in? Part of the cycle when rand (or someone like him) comes to power? Or after when the dark one is sealed for thousands of years again and the male half of the power is cleansed?

You get 17.6 million words
(asuming you use a full wheel of time for each wheel)

Not him.
When Rand comes to power would probably be the most interesting point. Empires and Nations are rising and falling, people capable of using the power are all over the place in many factions, and war is all over.