HEY COME ON OVER HERE AND PLAY SOME CUHRAZY TAXI

Is there a game that captures the corniness of the late 90s-early 2000 better?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.sega.com/2015/01/12/sega-3d-classics-3d-afterbunner-ii-–-a-classic-reborn-part-1/
blogs.sega.com/2015/01/13/sega-3d-classics-3d-afterbunner-ii-–-a-classic-reborn-part-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

With a soundtrack like that? Not a chance.

Are you saying that pop-punk isn't corny? Not that it's a bad thing

It's weird because "corniness" sounds bad and yet Crazy Taxi is an all time classic.

I have a friend who actually enjoyed the offspring. and limp bizkit, sound garden and smashing pumpkins.

How about "campy"?

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH
no, there isn't

Soundgarden and the Smashing Pumpkins are good though

Yeah I guess your right...haha.

Anyone like crazy taxi 2 or 3.
I didn't personally care for 3 and I only really liked 2s mini games.

But the last two bands are good

Who would be on the soundtrack in a modern Crazy Taxi game?

Remember the good old Dreamcast days? I remember watching my brother play the shit out of Jet Set Radio and some game with mechanic dinosaurs, and my sister playing Tomb Raider 5, and I loved it, one of the many reasons I love gaming nowadays is because of them.

I need to buy a Dreamcast

the offspring were in their prime when this game came out

Good question desu i wonder if they would change it to mostly hip hop or stick to pop punk. If they would stick to modern pop punk, then probably just the newest Blink 182 album (Shit)

3 had the best visuals but also had a lot of slowdown in certain areas

I didn't really like them that much.
Hell, I didn't even like the Original map in Crazy Taxi. I pretty much only play the Arcade map. It's my crack.

Is Crazy Taxi the definitive coming of age video game?

Explain further

Face it, you always picked him.

"shut up and move your butt"

if you cant get 80k never post crazy taxi again

Pretty sure this guy and the chick were my favorite characters, yeah.

>not picking Gena

Limp Bizkit was trash all the way and By the time Crazy Taxi came out, the Offspring did their last good album Americana. The rest are great bands

>dealing with responsibilities
>socially maturing
>receiving an education in life
>offspring soundtrack

DAY AFTER DAY YOUR HOME LIFE'S A WRECK

I fucking love Crazy Taxi. It is the perfect example of Sega's arcade design, simple to pick up but with an incredibly high skill ceiling. That design is fucking perfect and makes it so there's a clear jump in skill levels at regular intervals.
>Pick it up and can easily understand the game. Run out of time fairly quickly because all you're doing is just ferrying people around and not going very fast.
Enjoyment level = Average
Skill required = None
>Begin to understand basic maneuvers such as the Crazy Dash, Crazy Drift and Limiter Cut. Now players are still going around blind but are driving a lot faster now.
Enjoyment level = Above average
Skill required = Average
>Players by now will be able to have a basic knowledge of the map and focus on getting to the location quickly rather than finding it at all. Runs begin to last longer as the player becomes more efficient. Secondary techniques such as the Crazy Back Dash or Crazy Tail Spin will be used more often. At this point Awesome licenses will become a regular occurrence.
Enjoyment level = High
Skill required = Above Average
>The player will now be more adept at weaving through traffic and will be able to memorise early passenger drop-off patterns. They may have a particular sequence of passengers that they prefer as it gives them a guaranteed amount of money before improvising the next lot of passengers. Expect to see Crazy licenses cropping up here as well as run times of around 20 minutes.
Enjoyment level = Very High
Skill level = Level
>The player begins to understand and memorise passenger preferences and locations in great detail. He is no longer focusing on his current passenger but planning his passengers ahead of time. Crazy Licenses are easy to accomplish but the rush of extending the clock is un-ending. The final skill level but one that will be constantly offering large room for improvement in both the planning of the route and execution.
Enjoyment level = CRAZY
Skill level = CRAZY

Fuck. This is the game. A new one never ever. I have so many memories of this.
"AND DAMNIT"
"WHAT ARE YOU, BLIND?"
"HEY CAN'T YOU PARK A LITTLE BIT CLOSER?
"SHUT UP, MOVE YOUR BUT"
"YOU SUCK *throws sand*" "Well that could have gone better..."

THE POWERS THAT BE JUST BREATHE DOWN YOUR NECK

Dram
Chance the rapper
Maybe kanye or desiigner
Young thug

You don't want this

my sessions usually end up being an hour or more. getting the crazy license is so satisfying.

I liked 3 since it had the maps from the other 2 games.

conspiracy of one and splinter are decent imo

I still have no idea how the concept for this game were even greenlighted but I'm so glad it was. You never see crazy, weird AAA games like this made anymore.

SEGA was always good at making weird unique games.

COME ON NOW

CAN'T YOU SEEEEEE

But we can agree their new shit is God awful

And they were already spending a shitload of money on the development of Shenmue too, Sega literally gave zero fucks back then.

The wrong kid died.

I did when I first started playing because of his quick acceleration and how easy his timing was to do the Crazy Dash/Limit Cut but he's a pretty big crutch once you take into account his poor handling and large vehicle size.
Once you get good enough at the game to consistently do Crazy Dash/Limit Cut in order to bypass the low acceleration, Gus is the perfect all-arounder. He's got good handling, a heavy weight so hits with a smaller car won't knock you back, a good top speed, a smaller vehicle size so it's easier to squeeze through tight spaces (which means the highway becomes tip central and a breeze to go through because you can just hug the wall) and low deceleration so you don't lose speed as fast (you do need to get better at stopping though).

What timer settings do you play on?

>The wrong kid died.
Huge Nintendofag but it really is a damn shame that SEGA stopped making consoles. I'd rather they be in the console-making industry than Microsoft.

>The wrong kid died.

this.

i'd say rise and fall is objectively their worst album. days go by was an improvement but still doesn't compare to their old stuff.

i'll have to check, it's been a while, but I don't remember ever changing the timer settings to begin with.

Other than Crazy Taxi, I only started playing Sega's pre-2000 output within the past year.
I feel like an absolute cunt that I didn't play some of these titles sooner.
Especially when talking about arcade titles, there are so many absolutely incredible games that are just blowing my socks off in terms of presentation and game design.
I'm currently playing the 3D Classics versions of Fantasy Zone and Super Hang-On. Fantastic games with fantastic ports by M2. Plus, the developer interviews are really informative.
Trying to beat the Round 5 boss in Fantasy Zone has got me stuck though. I can get to him consistently, I know how to beat him, I just keep fucking up and losing 4 or 5 lives in a row.

That's impressive. I'm capping out at around 30k and ~40 minutes on the default settings.
I'm still getting better though.

>there will never be a sequel with Bayonetta, Jeanne, Enzo, Dante, Vergil, Trish, and Nero as guest characters
>CUHRAYZEE Taxi will never be a thing

Yeah, more or less the same. I still need to get a lot of them but I've discovered within the past few years or so, that I REALLY like arcade-style gameplay.

One 3D Classics game that really impressed me was Galaxy Force II. I still haven't beaten it but that game is so fucking good. It was basically Star Fox before Star Fox and it really made me look at that series in a less positive light.

I played F-Zero GX late as well and I really kicked myself for not playing what I consider to be one of the greatest racing games ever made back when it came out. SEGA really were the kings of arcade-y games.

I also bought and played After Burner Climax before it was taken down from XBLA/PSN and I really love it, though I suck at it too. I still haven't beaten that one either.

My high score on the steam port. The 360 controller is perfect for this game imo.

>I still need to get a lot of them but I've discovered within the past few years or so, that I REALLY like arcade-style gameplay.
Same here. I also discovered that I'm not "not really that interested in racing games", I'm just not into simulation or realistic racing games. Give me some simplified physics, a ticking clock which needs to be topped up by hitting a checkpoint and I'm as happy as Larry.

>I also bought and played After Burner Climax before it was taken down from XBLA/PSN and I really love it, though I suck at it too.
I'm jealous. I didn't play Afterburner Climax until after it was removed from XBLA/PSN and then the nearby arcade sold their cabinet. I was crushed.

Shit, I wish I could play that well.
I'm just going to have to keep practicing until I can.
I've been reading over location notes for the second half recently and I'm beginning to get better at consistently moving forward and looping around the city instead of just getting stuck in between Downtown and the Stadium area like I used to.

>Same here. I also discovered that I'm not "not really that interested in racing games", I'm just not into simulation or realistic racing games. Give me some simplified physics, a ticking clock which needs to be topped up by hitting a checkpoint and I'm as happy as Larry.
Yeah, I dislike racing sims. I'm not that big into racing games but I do like arcade-y racing games a lot, also kart games and the like. I still need to play Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed, which I haven't b/c no gaming pc. I'll get to that one someday.

>I'm jealous. I didn't play Afterburner Climax until after it was removed from XBLA/PSN and then the nearby arcade sold their cabinet. I was crushed.
I hadn't even heard of it for the longest time, but when I did, I decided to buy it soon after. So glad I did, it's a gem.

I actually still need to buy and play the 3D Classics version of AB2, which I've never played before.

>I actually still need to buy and play the 3D Classics version of AB2, which I've never played before.
I've got that one. It's great but suffers a little from the 3DS Circle Pad making it a little more difficult to play. If you liked Galaxy Force II and After Burner Climax, I think you'll definitely like After Burner II. The game itself is great and the 3D effect is intense considering the speed of the game.
Plus, M2 included a brand-new remixed Special Mode which has new enemy layouts, new stage layouts and includes a Climax button to make it play like After Burner Climax. It's easier to complete than the main game (mainly because you get additional lives by blowing up large amounts of enemies as opposed the main game giving you 3 credits and then you're out) but it's still really great.

>I've got that one. It's great but suffers a little from the 3DS Circle Pad making it a little more difficult to play.
This is what happened to me with Space Harrier and Shinobi III, unfortunately. They're really hard to play on the 3DS and just using the d-pad on the latter gives me hand cramps.

>Plus, M2 included a brand-new remixed Special Mode which has new enemy layouts, new stage layouts and includes a Climax button to make it play like After Burner Climax. It's easier to complete than the main game (mainly because you get additional lives by blowing up large amounts of enemies as opposed the main game giving you 3 credits and then you're out) but it's still really great.
WHAT

I need to buy that shit ASAP then.

>Capcom vs Sega will never be a thing despite being a match made in heaven

I was Capcom was more inventive like the good old days. Or Sega for that matter.

I want to play me some Crazy Taxi. I've heard that 3 has the maps of 1 & 2 in it. Should I go for it for my introduction to the series?

I kinda want Nintendo vs. Capcom more but SEGA vs. Capcom would be the sickest shit too.

Maybe by some stroke of luck, we can get Nintendo vs. Capcom vs. SEGA.

Crazy Taxi 1 is on sale for insanely cheap on steam right now

>They're really hard to play on the 3DS and just using the d-pad on the latter gives me hand cramps.
I wish these ports would be ported to different platforms. I'm fine with losing the 3D effect, the extra content and original quality of the games is good enough that they'd still be worth not playing on the 3DS' poor hardware.
Playing something like After Burner II on the 3DS circle pad and then emulating it with something like a 360 controller makes a world of difference.

>I need to buy that shit ASAP then.
It unlocks after you beat the main game. I wanted to beat the game legit so I used the default settings and started from the beginning instead of using the level select so I could clear the entire game on the three credits they give you. Due to the way you can earn extra lives and the Climax mode; once I unlocked the Special mode, I beat it on the first try. It was a great wrap-up to the game.
Hell, they even added new melody lines to the soundtrack to make it better.

You should read this.
blogs.sega.com/2015/01/12/sega-3d-classics-3d-afterbunner-ii-–-a-classic-reborn-part-1/
blogs.sega.com/2015/01/13/sega-3d-classics-3d-afterbunner-ii-–-a-classic-reborn-part-2/
It's the interview with M2 about porting After Burner II. It gives you a quick run down of the history of the game and a detailed look at how M2 ported it. It's pretty interesting.

Nah, just buy Crazy Taxi 1.
It's the best starting point.

>Crazy Taxi 1 doesn't have the original soundtrack on PC even though Android and iOS do
>Crazy Taxi 2 didn't get a port
>Crazy Taxi 3 already has a PC port but it's not on Steam
C'mon SEGA, get with it

The PC version of 3 is also locked to 30fps and has shit digital controls you can't change.

I thought the Steam version was garbage - and not just because of the soundtrack.

IIRC my score on GameCube is $43,000
Remember playing for almost an hour straight

>Skill level = Level
That's where I'm at.