People say the controls are bad

>People say the controls are bad.
>They're just bad at the controls.
Are people these days just no longer willing to learn different control schemes? Especially in games which rely on momentum in your movement?
Having the camera reset mapped to the Graffiti button is a bad decision but I've seen people complaining about the controls being "bad" because you need to build up momentum or because they can't work out how there are two ways to jump and move to the side.
It's like the first Sonic the Hedgehog game. People go in with an idea that they should be able to go lightning fast around the level when they first pick up the controller. Then when they find out that the game is about building up/conserving your momentum and is designed for you to replay in order to learn the levels and optimum routes to get a better ranking, they call it shit because it doesn't meet their preconceived idea of what the game is about.
That being said, fuck these Jet Crush timings. Trying to beat them normally is tough enough but trying to get a Jet Ranking is making me want to scream.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bvuf_hbXaSc
derpibooru.org/1091112
youtu.be/aSMJoPfOv0c
youtube.com/watch?v=HSZIej-ZraE
youtu.be/Cs0zrEzWBRI
youtu.be/xLV4HDkpKIU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the controls ARE bad though

Man I love me some JSR

but the controls are dogshit

Explain your reasoning for the controls being bad.

git gud

Try actually playing through the game instead of buying it and playing it for 10 minutes because you heard the music in a shitty meme video once. It only takes the first two levels or so to get used to the controls, I would know since I 100%'d the game on keyboard and mouse.

In their defense it is clunky as shit to go back to

the music and artstyle are the best things to come from the game

youtube.com/watch?v=bvuf_hbXaSc

>I 100%'d the game on keyboard and mouse.
Okay, now that would be dogshit controls.
I tried it once and immediately went back to a controller.

I loved the feel of this game. The music added to the speed and feel.

Also O.P. is fag.

Can I piggy back on this idea, and complain about all the people who say Dark Souls is clunky. Similar to momentum, it comes down to weight actually mattering. When every other game allows you to swing a giant sword like it's made of foam, Dark Souls gives every weapon a real wind up and a cool down, emphasizing the weight of the weapons. So you have to actually time your attacks, instead of just spamming.

they aren't as responsive as they should be. Quick turns and stops are the only thing down correctly

just because you get used to bad controls, doesnt make them good controls

It doesn't have the worst controls but it still feels kind of clunky. Keyboard controls are bad though.

All you have to do to get Jet is play as Yo-Yo or Tab if you want to add some challenge to it.
They get a billion more points then any other normal character for successful graffiti tags along with easier inputs making it a cake walk.

Jet Set Radio has the best soundtrack.

>as they should be
>down correctly
That's the issue. You're saying they should be a particular way instead of what the game is designed around.
The game is very up-front about how it's built around you building and conserving your momentum. Almost as if you were on a pair of roller skates.
The level design accentuates this. Each level and challenge in the game is designed around the challenge of:
>Learning the layout
>Finding the optimum route throughout the level.
>Executing this route while conserving your momentum.
Adding, for example, JSRF style movement would break this design.
It's like saying the controls in Burnout are bad because you can't play it like Crazy Taxi.

My complaints with JSR's controls can be best summed up as "it's not JSRF." JSR is supposed to be a game about skating around doing tricks, spraying graffiti, running from the cops. Following from this, the controls should be as smooth and fluid as possible. It doesn't need to be Sanic gottagofast and JSRF isn't perfect, but the game should be easy to control without having to feel like you're fighting against the controls in order to have fun.

And before anyone bitches, I 100%d JSR on Steam. Just because you can get used to the controls doesn't make them good.

The problem with this line of thinking is the game saps your momentum at any given opportunity, and the controls simply are not responsive enough. Yeah theoretically you can deflect any criticism with "get good" but at some point the game stops being fun and starts being more of a chore to complete, even if you're good at it.

Either the controls needs to be more precise or tighter for the levels or the controls could have been kept the same but the levels be redesigned.
Snapping to grind rails is inconsistent and if you don't get the grind you can hit the environment and be sent flying off in another direction fucking up your run. It's too easy to hit the environment and lose all of your momentum. With rails that are perfectly parallel to the ground it can be hard to get your character to grind or just jump when you want them too (see the challenge race against Mew)
JSRF has better controls and is the better overall game

The controls would be 100% fine if there was a dedicated button for grinding/wallriding

That's the only real issue with this game

Fuck off vendettafag stop harassing me
derpibooru.org/1091112

anyone else listen to the fan JSR radio?? shit is cash money.

did JSR/JSRF change your taste in music?

JSRF has better controls, but the myriad of baffling design decisions introduced in that game make the original a better game overall.

Such as? And don't say shit like "no QTE graffiti"

>That section in Shibuya-Cho at the crosswalk where game changes camera angles to the side-on view and fucks up your movement if you're not ready for it and not already holding the direction you'll need to be going after the camera change.
Fuck you too game.

IT'S NOT FUCKING PONY RELATED

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>myriad of baffling design decisions introduced in that game
Care to share them?
I haven't played JSRF in around ten years. I'm loving JSR's tight arcade-style focus and I know how they're very different games but it's been so long the finer details of JSRF are lost.
I'm ordering a new copy of JSRF next week so I'll be finding out first hand if it holds up to my memories but I'm curious to see your opinions.

The controls arent bad but they're not good at all and who ever says it's good has turbo autism

You are a faggot, if you negate being a faggot then you are an even bigger faggot.

>No time limit
>Larger levels that are interconnected for one open world
>No more auto tricks on grinds, you use X and Y to do grind combos
>You fight with the police in separate walled off sections, and you can tackled and spray them to fight back
>No more QTEs for tagging
Some people hate the changes, but I don't mind some and the other changes are for the better. The game is now more about exploration and doing tricks with better controls than just a time attack.

Jet set radio plays like shit
Just like the old sonic games

JSRF is good because the controls are actually good and 3D sonic games are good because theres content, you can see whats coming up ahead, theyre faster, and they take more than 30 minutes to beat

tldr old sega sucks

Yes it is
He even got warned for making a thread on Sup Forums using the same pic. Rule 15. And he made threads using the same pic several times before just to harass me.

People said it at the time too. A lot of Sega games from that era have clunky controls.

>Doing a Jet Technique challenge.
>Towards the end of the countdown.
>Get hit by a car near while doing a jump near the edge of the level.
>Knockback hits me on top of the car.
>Car carries me out of bounds and exits the level before my hit animation finishes.
I was furious.

controls are wonky but you get used to it after a while, but if get out of the game for too long they feel wonky as fuk,

sauce

Final boss is some bullshit though.

oh and you can now chain multiple air tricks together
half pipe controls are better and there are half pipe tricks used to gain more air

But you said baffling design decisions.
I don't see any of those as "baffling", they all make sense within the game.
When you said "baffling design decisions", I was expecting some poor design decisions that don't work within the game itself.
All those are just normal parts of a game which decided to be different from it's predecessor.
Which is better is arguable but when looking at JSRF on it's own, I don't have a problem with them.

I am very interested in seeing which game I prefer once I replay JSRF though. It's going to be a tough decision, wide open levels and exploration vs smaller, self-contained levels and maximising your scores and times.

No timer or regular enemy presence robs Future of a lot of energy and challenge to me. It feels less like a frantic chase around town with the cops on your heels, and more like a lazy stroll while you grab all the tag spots.

While a few enemies in JSR could be irritating, it's far better than the implementation in Future. Where the game literally stops you in your tracks at certain points, teleports you to an instanced off combat arena, and forces you to engage in some of the most shallow and poorly conceived combat in a platformer (which is a pretty big list).

The open world also didn't really do it for me. It just adds some uneccessary travel time between levels and doesn't really bring many benefits besides a few optional trick challenges to spawn more Graffiti souls.

It's not a bad game and some people may like the changes in Future (except the combat, I'm sure nobody likes that) but I know which one I like better, despite Future having much smoother movement. May as well see if you like Future though since the version with SEGA GT is like a tenner

Been there, user.
The pain is real.

Yeah I went back last month to try and 100% JET it. The controls takes some getting used to, but they're not SUPER dogshit. I feel the same way about Kid Icarus: Uprising.

also FUCK GRIND CITY

Okay, that reasoning is a lot more in-depth.
Thank you for sharing.

>pic contains no cartoon horses
>It's pony related
K

The only reason people keep posting this shit is to trigger retards like you who keep on feeding them.
Fuck off and die, Barneyfag.

The challenge in JSRF comes far more from the platforming itself, and adding a timer and continuous enemy presence on top of that would've been shit. You can't say it's nonsensical when it's clear the decisions were made to create as open and fluid an experience as possible.

Do the Graffiti Souls change depending on mission or are they just in a set place in the stage in general?
If I pick up all the Graffiti souls while doing Jet Technique, am I going to have to do the Jet Crush stages to pick up an additional set of Graffiti Souls exclusive to that mission?

Try mew or yoyo and just skate along the billboard, onto the powerline, then on the pipes for as long as you can

>tfw got this last year
>Had a tricky start but eventually really felt it and grooved to the songs
>Only needed 2 more trophies to plat
>Got a 1.5% rarity king of the streets trophy

Damn I love this game. I should go back for those 2 someday.

some people think the lack of a time limit and no graffiti QTEs are bad and baffling design decisions

If you just suddenly somehow had this game in your hands again right this moment

Would you still be able to complete a Loop in the first level?

JSR isn't even a hard game to 100% and there's nothing wrong with the controls

tl;dr git gud

I'm playing the game right now. What do you mean by Loop?
Are you talking about an infinite combo?

Graffiti Souls are in specific places in each map, they don't change between missions.

>Are people these days just no longer willing to learn different control schemes?
See Star Fox Zero.

I remember playing JSR back when it came out on Dreamcast, I think we only ever got as far as the park level? Which ever one has you fighting both tanks and choppers. That shit sucked.

Pretty much, going in a circle around an area grinding and tricking and never touching the ground

Every level had one. Some really hard like the city at night one.

He's ban evading as well.
This is another thread he made with a similar thread format, topic and filename and he got hit with a 30-day ban for evasion.

I agree with you about the controls but Star Fox Zero had trash level design, shitty mission structure and roughly two-thirds of it's boss were horrible.

I'm doing one right now for the Jet Technique challenge in Shibuya-cho. It's fun.

Just played through the Steam version again with an Xbox One controller.

It was floaty, and sometimes the graffiti swipes are screwy, but I didn't think the controller were that bad.

Yeah they are once you get the hang of them

Here's some examples
youtu.be/aSMJoPfOv0c

Playing the Story, Jet Graffiti and Jet Technique missions repeatedly for higher ranks made me love this game.
Playing the Jet Crush stages for a Jet ranking made me hate it.

Yeah I really gotta get back and finish this game. It was seriously so damn good.

YES I AM COOKING FOR MY WIFE AND HER SON.

Post best songs
youtube.com/watch?v=HSZIej-ZraE

That game looks so fucking good on the Vita's OLED screen. Shame the analogue sticks aren't as precise and it's got that weird sound effect stutter.

Those aren't canon panties

Not only that, but ignoring them never works because it'll only cause people to think that doing this shit is in any way acceptable.

>Are people these days just no longer willing to learn different control schemes?
Yes, I think that's painfully obvious with how people react to tank controls, for example.

Any other way to play JSRF besides x360?

I got an XBox for $40 and JSRF for $10, try that.

That's JSRF dude

youtu.be/Cs0zrEzWBRI

I mean it's not much different than Future which what I played more of. Didn't feel as polished as Futures but basically the same thing. I still prefer Future though and where the fuck is our PC remaster already for fucks sake.

Nope, no idea if it's compatible with Xbox one but yeah your options are limited.

Both games could have better controls, it's not one of the strong points of the game but I wouldn't call it "bad" per se

Yeah. Looked so gorgeous.

Buy an original Xbox or just play it on the 360.
Those are your only options.

Mah nigga

Holy hell, can't express my frustration when it came to that fucker. First time playing, Steam port, keyboard only. It probably took me 30+ minutes to accidentally grind inside the DJ booth because i had literally no way to control the spinning camera.

The characters randomly turn around and come to a dead stop when you're holding forward on the control stick. The controls are shit.

>The characters randomly turn around and come to a dead stop when you're holding forward on the control stick
?

I have no idea if what you said is true or not but I can comment on your general concept.

If I don't absolutely love the game, there's no way I'm going to spend hours learning an unconventional control scheme just because you want to be a special snowflake.

It's enough work to just learn all the new mechanics, stats, etc that's specific to each fucking game without trying to figure out how to walk forward properly.

Fyi, that's why Ape Escape sucked dick before the PSP remake.

>Camera is locked behind the character at all times and the movement is juttery and inconsistent when you want to do a modest turn. It feels like if castlevania 1 decided to have all the level floors be made out of ice.
>This is somehow objectively good movement.

The "control scheme" isn't new or revolutionary it's just a analog stick moving a character on roller blades. What part about this shitty movement engrosses you?

I made this just for you.

>wanting a consistent control scheme that doesn't suck and allows you to focus on actually playing the game properly is "casual"

Just play it on og xbox
360 backwards compatability caused serious slowdown in some levels that fuck up your trick combo timing, wich is incredibly frustrating.

How do you know if you love a game if you aren't even playing it properly?

No, writing off a game because you can't bothered to learn a control scheme outside of your narrow frame of experience is casual or because it requires a learning curve is casual.
Not to mention being so bad at video games that you consider learning new mechanics and how to walk forward at the same time is difficult.

Reminder Future was better and always will be

Understand

He specifically said unconventional mechanics that take a long time to figure out. JSR is neither conventional nor easy to master, and this is speaking as someone who 100%d the game. Wanting a control scheme that isn't bad is not casual.

Understand

>2016
>still no fucking JSRF port
I will literally kill SEGA

How can people hate these controls?

Apparently jet set radio got second on the survey for most hoped game to come back
First was sakura wars for some reason

Hey man Sakura wars is fucking awesome

youtu.be/xLV4HDkpKIU

What the actual fuck did I just watch?

>being surprised that a hybrid waifu simulator/mecha RPG is popular in a Japanese poll
kek

Gloriousness

That's not sweet soul brother.