It's the weekend

>It's the weekend
>Blockbuster is in it's prime
>Your parent takes you to rent out a video or game

What game or movie do you choose? What snacks do you pick?
Blockbuster vidya stories thread?

We got both games and movies from a russian guy on the bazaar for cheap before pirating over the internet was a thing. Good times.

Your parents let you buy snacks?

>Mom, I don't want this western trash. Import Persona 3 for me and buy me some pocky.

I was lucky to get one game.

I never went to blockbuster, I'd just get asian bootleg shit for 1$

MODSMODSMODS
heh.. fuck off back to /biz/..

>blockbuster
>not andys video store

>Go to blockbuster
>Rent a PS1 game
>Copy it to my slow ass Compaq PC
>Burn it to a CD-R
>Return game to Blockbuster
>Keep playing the burned copy on my PS1 with one of those swap discs I bought from the mall

I can't be the only kid that did this.

I rented a game as a kid(revolution x, snes ) and never returned it

How much does adult me owe?

no game, no movie, no snack. sad childhood only.

>Don't go to blockbuster
>Go to JC Flicks instead because they have more shit, are cheaper, and have a better late fee system
>Mom and dad rent some new movie
>I get spaceballs and final fight 3
>Best friend Tim comes to spend the night
>We get pizza
>Co op final fight 3 all the way through twice
>Watch spaceballs

Man I miss that shit so much.

JC flicks was destroying our local blockbuster, so blockbuster opened a second store right across from it and undercut to an extreme until JC flicks died, then jacked everything back up. I hate blockbuster and always will.

>get timesplitters 2
>spend the weekend with my cousin playing multiplayer and having fun

>fast forward to now
>cousin is in jail for doing a bunch of heroin and not reporting his gf riding
>im a fat fuck with almost no friends and minor depression issues
thanks op, i feel alot better about my life now

Vidya: Banjo Kazooie/Star Fox 64
Snacks: Fun Dip and Popcorn.
Movie/TV show: Rocket Power.
Good times.

depending on the store really. some stop charging rental fees after you effectively bought the game.

others? probably $8,000+ in late fees by now.

Per 90s late fee rates, probably between 42-55k

>cousin is in jail for doing a bunch of heroin and not reporting his gf *overdosing*
don't know how autocorrect fucked up that bad, or why my computer auto corrected my post...

>CRASH BANDICOOT WARPED
>MOTHER FUCKING GUMMY PEACH RINGS AND MAYBE EVEN SOME APPLE ONES IF I WAS EXTRA GOOD THIS WEEK
>WHEN MOM'S NOT LOOKING, CONVINCE DAD THAT BERSERK IS A CHILDREN'S CARTOON DESPITE THE GRIM COVER
>JACK OFF TO CASCA GETTING RAPED DRINKING DR. PEPPER AND PLAYING CRASH ALL FUCKING WEEKEND

My mom used to hit up the used games section.
I found some serious golden games in my youth from there.
Blast Corps and Star Ocean 2 were some of the ones I remember most fondly.

I ended up working there for a good year or so and met some incredible people. One of my old store managers is now a semi-famous cosplayer.
I miss those days.

Did you have to mod your PS1 to do that or you can do that right out of the box?

I had an 'irish twins' brother so that basically meant 2 games, he usually picked out a multiplayer like Mario Party or Kart while I tried out games based on box art.
But we did unanimously agree on Paper Mario, we played it in shifts. I think one week we actually had Paper Mario AND Mario Party 3, shit was glorious.

>it's

>It's a mom and dad make you rent a game from Blockbuster so they can fuck in their room while you play your game and not disturbing them episode

I ask for a 7-up, and ask if I can get a book instead.

With the swap disc, no. All you did was put tape or a piece of a toothpick on that lever thing that tells your PS1 that your disc cover is closed. When you load up the swap disc, it will tell you to take out the disc and put in your burned game then press X and watch it go.

Last game I rented from Blockbuster before it tanked was Burnout 3: Takedown.

Ended up buying that shit.

You act like I had a father.
:^)

I never went to Blockbuster, but I'd always go to Hastings with my friend and his mom. We just picked out whatever shit looked good from the box art and get the sugary shit from the grocery store near his house.

My Dad was good friends with the guy who ran the video store in my town, he'd always give my Dad early access to movies and cheap deals on Laserdisc. He'd let me rent games he got before they went on shelves.
So, Kirby Superstar and sour patch kids.

Mario RPG.
Cheddar combos and a sprite. Maybe an ACTII if we are watching a movie.

I remember renting games and movies from the grocery store.

Man, that was waaaay back.

Safeway and king's soopers. King's had more stuff but like 20% of their games were broken.

Safeway put styrofoam inserts in the actual game and movie packaging to make displays. It was awesome.

>Rent Munch's Oddysee for Xbox from Blockbuster
>Disc was fucked up beyond repair because it had a large deep scratch on it
>Couldn't make it past the opening screen without it giving me a disc read error

$10 wasted

>Blockbuster started selling their rented games
>The game discs had those big Blockbuster labels that covered the entire disc and removing them rips off the image thats on the disc(later though they had those small label ones that you can remove without any damage to the image on disc)
>Since game covers were also the cover for the instruction manual they ripped out the manual from the cover only leaving the cover in the jewel case while the rest of manual is for when you buy/rent the game
>MFW

What the fuck man?

One of my fondest memories was buying a sack of roast beefs from Arby's then going to the grocery store and renting Turok 3. That was a hell of a weekend.

The worst was going to the store and trying to convince them you didn't do it.

>Those magnetized security stickers places put on cartridges that could never be fully removed without extreme care, a huge amount of time, and chemicals.

Fuck I miss Blockbuster

>tfw you'll never finish school friday, and get that warm feeling of excitement knowing that you've slogged your way through school the entire week, just to get to this point
>tfw you'll never feel the warm perfect temperature of summer when it's just right and the sun is going down just a little as you walk to blockbuster with your father knowing that you're going to get a game, film, and some snacks and get comfy as fuck
>tfw you'll never get a game, and your father says "alright, you've been good, you can get two this time"
>tfw you'll never go home with food, two new games, without all this 'reviews' and monthly game shit, just a fucking pure video game and the glorious feeling of an entire weekend to just do fuck all in childhood bliss with no worries

the new generations will never know this feel, I'm not sure who I feel worse for

I did

you are latching onto an inconvenience, kids today still have inconveniences, or they will when everything gets better and they inherently feel like they "survived against the odds". but everything is better today and nobody would wish to have your experience

Wrong

The new generation can pirate almost any game they want in a few minutes or hours.

Back in my day, it took 4 minutes to load one text page on a dialup connection.

Batman Beyond and a crash game pls
Candy a shit, lets grab a burger

>you want to rent a game?
>>yee sure ill open netflix app and download a 2 day trial

My local blockbuster sucked dick. I preferred to rent games from Dillions. They had a smaller but way better selection of games. They had the AvP RTS game and a couple weird japanese games.

wew lad

>Blockbuster is in it's prime
>it's
>Blockbuster is in it is prime

Sounds like you might need to revisit your elementary school years for more than just games and movies.

I love renting games off netflix

Yeah, kids today can hit up gamefly on their phone and have games delivered to their house. No more begging for parents to take your ass to Blockbuster

never rented a video game. it wasn't a thing over here.

>Tfw you lived in Germany while Blockbuster was in its prime
;_; I missed out on life

>>vidya
Spy Hunter
>>movie
Final Destination 3
>>snacks
Sno-Caps
I miss Blockbuster weekends, desu.

Road Rash 2 - skip the movie.

My nigger

HALO 2 on the fucking window

I'M GETTING OLDER, DEATH IS COMING, I CAN'T STOP TIME

MAKE IT STOP

anyone else still rent movies? my internet is so shit i pretty much have to.

I go to a redbox in a nearby Publix to rent movies every once in a blue moon.

ECCO

>meme arrow

This

life is funny that way eh?

i remember not many years ago when i was a happy little idiot playing timesplitters with my friends, now i am a 22 yo with no friends, no job, no money who lives in my parents basement

cousin blew his head off with a shotgun last new years eve too

Thanks to blockbuster closing Starsky and Hutch for PS2 is mine forever.