Oldfag vs Youngfag

How exactly do you propose that a Youngfag be capable of appreciating "classic" Vidya when all he has played is modern Vidya?

Example: If someone has played Halo-style FPS all their life, how do you expect them to recognize the supposedly superior quality of Doom?

Unlike other mediums, videogame experiences radically change from generation to generation. Can there be reconciliation? Can the tastes of younger players of videogames be made equal to those of the past?

just play the damn games and decide for yourself. If it's good it's good, if not it's because you already played something better.

Just play the games. I was born in 96 and can play '80s games just fine.

The first FPS I ever played was CoD, and I still quite enjoyed System Shock 1 and Doom. It's not really about what you grew up on, it's more like a mindset. Anyone who goes "lol look at these gay shitty graphics who the crap wants to play this garbage" just isn't going to be able to understand.

My take is todays games are standing on the shoulders of giants.

Yes they may be leaps and bounds better in some ways, it's all built off of those classic games.

Even if I don't exactly enjoy playing some of those games, I can appreciate what they did for the medium

I was born in the late 80s. When people presented me with the "golden age" Atari games, I could only play them for 5 minutes at most. There were fun, but only as fun as internet flash games.

I get that they were important at the time as that was all people had, but the same experiences can be replicated better now.

Not all games have aged well. A lot of them play fine but look like ASS and are only interesting as novelties. Present people with new games, sure, but you can't force anyone to like anything without sounding like an out-of-touch weirdo

Newer games expand and 'improve' on popular, high selling games. Odds are the younger generation will have seen it all before barring a handful of unique (God Hand) fantastic games.

This is essentially historiography in that people's perception and analysis of events or works change depending on their current reality. However mellenial fucks must learn to appreciate games in their contex of when they were released.

I love it when complete fucking idiots comment on my generation, it makes it so much easier to tear them a new asshole, dont get me wrong, I enjoy a smart opponent just as much, but its very rare to get one these days ; this occasion certainly not being the exception. Its painfully clear that you just want to get in here and prove your an OLD GAMER!! well done.. heres me congratulating your wrinkly old ass for being the worlds oldest gamer.. shame you just tagged yourself, biggest fuckwit aswell :( you were doing SO well...

Shut up, you're making your generation look bad.
Coming from someone in your generation

>boot shitty fps cash-in 2011+5
>achivs poppin up everywhere
>fucking cancerous hud
>shitty tutorial level voice acting telling you what to do
>b-but muh graphics

Nah fuck you, you either have shit taste or you don't.

Soon enough they will be part of the "old" generation, and feeling nostalgia over Dota 2 and Overwatch, and wondering how they can make "the new generation" appreciate these old games when the new generation is playing its new, shitty video games. A minority will play the older games but most won't. And the cycle will continue forever.

Pretty good first post to be honest.

Good taste has nothing to do with age. l'm '97 and my favorite game is the original Castlevania. There's no problem not liking a game, the problem is when you hate it for the wrong reasons.

>Not digging through turds to find the nuggets of corn

The market is more saturated but it doesn't mean every game is bad

95% of the NES/SNES/Genesis library was unplayable shit and you know it.

>"oldfag" that has played doom and halo
>doesnt realize doom was inferior

Fakefag detected. Underage suspected

Not him, but this is true to any console.

easy: play games and don't give a fuck about what the younger people play.

>I'm 97 and my favorite game is the original Castlevania
you're old enough to remember the real life Castlevania, gramps.

>born in 1985
>enjoyed doom in its day
>not so stupidly cuckolded I cant acknowledge vidya advances when they happen

real problem with our industry is the blind nostalgia faggots who cannot see the flaws with "muh masterpiece" or appreciate the advances gaming has given us. These cucks are directly responsible for how Sup Forums has developed from cesspool in 2004 to unvarnished corpseshit rottery in 2016

By having them play the old games. Something like Doom is most definitely superior to any other FPS, if they don't realize that, then they're just a pleb that might need more experience with the FPS genre to realize that.

>some softshit published in 1994 will always be superior to everything ever

get over yourself please. it was a vitally important influence but will never be the end all of gaming.

To believe otherwise is not only simply wrong but apocalyptic for gaming in general

FPS is a shit tier genre desu.

>anyone that disagrees with me is ruinnin gaming
>its all old peoples fault

Way to out yourself kid.

lol no

please turn 18

>will always be superior to everything ever
Never said that retard, nor did I say/imply that Doom was perfect, or couldn't be improved upon. Patricians understand the nuances of the interactions of the gameplay systems/components, and will realize that superiority of Doom over other shooters because of its enemy designs, weapon designs, movement (good level designs at times, great music, and a unique and cool aesthetic definitely helps as well).

I agree, almost all shooters, even the ones praised here and other places, are shit/mediocre. Barely any of them have good weapon/enemy designs. If you've played Doom 1/2, and Quake multiplayer, there's not much more you can get out of fast paced shooters honestly.

This. Kill yourself if you think that anything made today can compare with games from the golden era.

>hurr I know my arguement is stupid but doom still da best! right niggers?
>uses patrician as some sort of retarded justification for arguement

Ok, "patrician" You are so wise and right about everything. Just watch out for those visigoths ok? Im sure they will be fine but maybe think hard k?

By having great gameplay. Doom is actually one of the best examples for a game that holds up incredibly well to modern titles, because it's gameplay works just as good as when it came out.
Graphics are irrelevant. You'll notice that classics that struggle to hold up have two things. Either their gameplay has faults or they're hard to run on modern systems.

There has been advancement in video games, which is why gameplay and ease of life conventions, like hotkeys, unit selection, etc., are sometimes lacking in older titles.

far cry 1, rayman 2 and the prince of persia series are the only good games ubisoft ever made

>being so mad you quote the wrong post
Why? I pointed out the specific elements of Doom that elevated it over other shooters. I'm not going to go on a long tirade on why those specific elements make it superior to other shooters. It would take too long, and it would fall on deaf ears anyways.

Disagree. Graphics have advanced enough for games to remain playable indefinitely now. That's a hurdle future damn kids don't need to get over.
It's also highly likely that games now remain playable even if operating systems advance, since the scene for retro games is already established.

I've often thought about this. I'm 28, my first console was a Master System but I was a little too young to really get it, and the first console I have fond memories of is the Mega Drive.

Now I'm fairly certain that anyone could pick up and play Sonic or Gunstar Heroes and have a blast no matter how much shit FPS you've played. I think your example of Doom is a little different, because games like Sonic and Gunstar Heroes (2D platformers) are still pretty much as simple as they've ever been, sure the graphics are better and the animations are smooth, but many new games in the genre don't play that differently.

FPS and action games are different. Whilst I'm sure a kid could play Doom after a bit of adjustment, I doubt they'd be too impressed with it (they'd be wrong of course). Too much of its design relies on the player to give 100% and modern FPS just doesn't expect that much of them.

Having said that, Doom was my first FPS game, but I find it quite difficult to go back to Wolf3D. Am I a youngfag by the standards of someone in their mid-late 30s who rinsed the fuck out of Wolf3D? Does my failure to even figure out how to even play the original Elite infuriate the 40 somethings out there.

I've never enjoyed an Atari game, they're just too basic. Maybe kids these days feel the same about the games we grew up with.

>Unlike other mediums, videogame experiences radically change from generation to generation.
except that's true of literally any medium you fucking dipshit.
Show your average plebby teenager a Hitchcock movie or Casablanca or some shit and they'll think it's boring because it's not full of shaky-cams and CG effects.
Same goes for books: tons of teenage girls read and loved the Twilight and Hunger Games series, but almost none of them will ever touch any actual literature or really anything written before the 21st century unless they're forced to in school.

The only medium that's even remotely timeless is music, and even then a lot of kids that are into older bands/artists only ever seem to pay attention to the hits that they hear over and over on classic rock radio.

It's only possible if they're willing, otherwise they'll hate you for pushing your garbage on them
This will only get easier with time as deminishing returns means the barrier to entry for "older" games is lessened since the difference in graphics and tech won't be as dramatic

No you're making us look bad by taking the bait

l can also confirm there was no holocaust.

nigga I ain't eatin no corn that came from a turd

>its a Sup Forums pretends its smart thread
playing good games doesnt mean you can design good games you are just the faggot in the chair with the cntroller looking at what other people, better people made
its like watching those cringy youtube reviewers try to make a movie good games arent made on pretenciousness and good intentions, look at the mountain of indie trash

If an oldfag was raised on such archaic systems as Doom, how can you expect them to truly appreciate the innovations of Halo-style FPS?

>trying this hard

just play. the. game.

This. Obviously current-day games will look somewhat aged in the future, but they will never look as bad in comparison as even PS1 or N64 games look now. We may have not reached photorealism yet, but the age of supermassive graphics leaps is still long gone.

They just have to be able to recognise the context it was released in and be able to appreciate ways of playing that aren't standard in the current climate of games..
The second part comes with experience but the first part is absolutely vital.
If you're the sort of person who will drop Resident Evil because of tank controls, you're going to have trouble.
If you're the sort of person who will emulate an arcade game and then credit feed long enough to see the end and not touch it again, you're going to have trouble.
If you're the sort of person who will give up on a tricky section easily and just watch an LP instead, you're definitely not going to be able to do it.

Younger gamers can appreciate older vidya just fine, they just have to be able to enjoy things outside of their usual comfort and consider the context it was released in.
I'm not saying that they should write off any flaws because it's old, just that they should be able to compare it to other games of the time and see how it may have influenced games following it.

You sound like a faggot. I wasn't alive in the 1800s but I can still appreciate Dostoyevsky.

He already said that vidya is a completely different medium altogether because it's interactive.

So are books.

You teach him the meaning of the tag "age_difference"

>Unlike other mediums, videogame experiences radically change from generation to generation.
I was born in 20th century and can appreciate superior 19th century music just fine.

No you can't you fucking manchild.

>it's artificial appreciation

>ebony
>milf
>age_difference
Diamonds, every time.

Ewww, I was thinking more "males_only" "self_cest"

Whatever floats your boat, weirdo

Eh, I don't like self_cest.
males_only is good too though.

>bi
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm guessing a bisexual guy broke your heart to go settle down with a woman?

People still play Super Mario Brothers.

thread should have ended here

>actual 3dpd
Don't be silly

:^3

By not being an impatient little bitch and quitting games because they don't look/play exactly like modern ones that's how. That or learning appreciate some challenge and agency again. It's not like it's impossible, there are a lot of people in their early 20's on /vr/ who can appreciate stuff even as far back as Atari 2600

Someone just post a bunch of games I should play before posting here.

the games you want to play

>tfw finally got around to playing/beating vtmb for the first time this year
>mfw I fucking hated the shit out of it

The combat was barebones and the game itself was completely unpolished

It has not aged well it seems...

None. Actually playing games here is completely superfluous

There's over a hundred of those across all sorts of different genres, gonna have to be more specific.

What i dont get is calling someone a newfag or underage for now growing up with games from the mid 2000s to early 10s. Yeah that period wasnt as good as the 90s but still whats the point of calling someone an underage fag for enjoying tons of games in 2007 or 2008 rather than 1997 or 1998? Is everyone here just suppoed to be bitter 40+ year old virgins talking about the n64 all the time and how anything past it is cancer?

More BotW lewd please.

x-com ufo defense

> play vtmb first time last year
>is awesome
>have to constantly stop to fap to sexy vampire bitches though

>
halo 1 is far superior to DOOM

fite me fggt

SNES/Genesis games are almost all playable what the fuck are you talking about

You are new to games, it's simply the truth. Also games released in 2007/2008 already had most of the cancerous elements that are so common in modern video games. You play practically the same shit that's coming out nowadays yet you want to be shamed less? Why?

Halo 1 is superior

The only truly cancerous things to gaming are
1.Non-games like TLoU
2.MOBAS
3.Fotm Kiddie indie games
4.Politics

If you started mainly gaming around then you're maybe 18.

if you were a kid when the n64 was out you wouldnt be 40+ retard, most people here are in their 20's and we need a photo id scan system to keep it that way

Kill yourself, faggot.

>Non-games like TLoU
That was already in full swing by 2007. Uncharted came out that year, a far worse example of it than TLOU.
>MOBAS
Dota was already huge at the time as just a mod and LoL came out a year later
>Fotm Kiddie indie games
You mean like Braid? Castle Crashers? Then Super Meat Boy a year later?

Also no mention of horrible casualization that was in effect by that time as demonstrated by games like Fallout3, Oblivion and Bioshock being dumbed down versions of their predecessors with shinier graphics? No mention of always online and episodic garbage that Valve loved? No mention of fucking Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed setting trends? This is exactly why people like you are shamed, you're so used to these things that you think they are a non-issue.

>1.Non-games like TLoU
>complaining about "movie" games with cutscenes.
>while praising jap. visual novels with no gameplay whatsoever.

Just because he said it doesn't mean it's true. I can interact with an old gun, or old car and still appreciate it.

>while praising jap. visual novels with no gameplay whatsoever.
Nobody mentioned Jap VNs at all.
Are you stupid?

nostalgia fags are as annoying as kids today
I can't play my old games because they look like shit. I just remember my experience. That doesn't mean I shit on newer game like the rest of you idiots

>tfw too young to enjoy SNES and genesis games

you literally must be underage then snes got games until like 1998

Pixelshit looks 100 times better than these shitty ""realistic"" graphics that every one is trying to achieve. I wish the industry would either bring back pixelshit or go for more stylized graphics instead of generic brown realism #11152.

>That doesn't mean I shit on newer game like the rest of you idiots
Why the fuck would this be inherently positive? Newer games deserve to be shit on, especially AAA trash

Born in 1998 isn't underage though

If you honestly believe that a new generation can't appreciate anything made before their time, you're well on your way to being the crotchety old man who yells at children over their picket fence

My first FPS was Halo back in 2001, 15 years ago. These days the only singleplayer FPSes I play are random Doom WADs and Build games like Duke3D/Blood. Anyone who actually gives a shit about video games will appreciate classics if they bother to play them.

That's because you are to young to ever have to of bought trash games. You got lucky and were born when all the good games are known.

There are old games that really didn't age too well. On the other hand there are classics that will probably always hold up well. I'm gonna show my kids Donkey Kong Country and Majoras Mask.

>Born in 1998 isn't underage though
>tfw when you were 18 in 1998.

Nice meme, what you refer to as trash is mostly mediocre games that even at their worst are just janky and messy not anywhere near "unplayable". Complete garbage was not very common, certainly not more common than it is nowadays when literally anyone can make and publish a game

>complete garbage wasn't common

Stop lying faggot

Name 5 unplayable games for the SNES

Bisexuals are disgusting

rude

>mfw "video game hipsters" pretend to like old games they never played to impress other stupid hipsters