frictionalgames.blogspot.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=SItJdkukIAU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i'll let "our guy" speak on the matter

youtube.com/watch?v=J4tbbcWqDyY

I want to fuck Catherine.

Coin flip metaphor was dumb

good story but shit gameplay, practically the definition of "movie game"

Loved it. Consciousness and AI fascinate me.

I enjoyed the existential horror.

It's an interesting story that does nothing with its medium of choice.

Should have been a book instead.

the coin flip thing was stupid but it was pretty cool besides that. could have been scarier though

Amazing story that couldn't be told in any other medium. As a video game though? Pretty shitty.

Fuck yeah, Joseph.

Comfy

Why didn't he just kill himself

bump

Months after I've beaten this game, I still keep thinking about it.

One of the best damn atmospheres I've ever fucking experienced. Period. Very few games come close. Story was also fucking amazing. I love these futuristic/scifi type of stories that actually have real scifi in it as opposed to beating set in the future with more powerful weapons and shit. Gameplay and graphics were decent but the game was really held above through atmosphere and story.

We won't have another game like it for some time.

Amazing story, decent game, great fucking visual and audio design. Absolutely loved it. I will preorder anything that Frictional will release next time, they fucking deserve it.

If you read the terminals and pay attention you realise that there wasn't a single one unnamed character or body. There's a clear backstory that works perfectly.

You can still nitpick on some things, but I just don't want to. Some may find Simon dull and, while he somewhat is, people often forget that humans are not perfect and often do and say stupid shit in stressful situations. You can tell that Simon was in a complete denial on the concept of mind transferring.
He felt genuine to me, and I liked their banter with Kat a lot.

Also the fact that SOMA went mostly under the radar but critics and normies praised the balls of some other certain game that features lots of dialogs between man and woman and lots of walking is beyond my understanding. The game isn't even that scary.

a `ittle company known for scary games absolutely nails the whole "narrative driven game" walking simulator without even trying while every other indie studio trips over themselves and fails horribly. i hope frictional makes another similar game.

Loved the idea, but the story was pretty confusing and random. Also it should have used more horror moments, that's why people got the game and they were pretty disappointed

Great story I thought, one of the few games that actually attempts to talk about high brow shit and isn't shallow as fuck about it.

Gameplay was average but the story and atmosphere was enough to keep me engaged. I know Sup Forums has a problem with walking sims or "movie games" but so long as they're not the only thing being made I think there's plenty of room for a short 5 to 10 hour game that's plot heavy and gameplay light.

I don't have any citations but I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to get out of the comfort zone and do a non-horror next time.
Walking simulator? Maybe, maybe not, but they proven to be great storytellers and worldbuilders and are yet to disappoint. I'm hyped.

I like it but stopped halfway through because of this really annoying part of figuring on how to get to theta from delta

Story "games" belong in

>Also it should have used more horror moments
I thought the pacing was nearly perfect, it never felt dull to me, but the game truly clicked with me.

The part where you have to navigate in the Abyss using those fucking lights was one of the best sequences in horror games I ever played.

You should check their blog out, some good reads on game design and inner processes in studio
frictionalgames.blogspot.com/

I played it pretty disjointed because even though it's short, I had to play in chunks because my gf loves watching me play vidya, especially horror, but we've both been too busy since Halloween with uni to sit down long enough to finish it

Were about 2/3 through and so far it's been really great. I normally can't stand walking sims because there's almost never enough worthwhile storytelling, writing, or atmosphere to carry the game through its lack of meaningful gameplay. But SOMA seems to have done just that. I really hope it doesn't fuck up the final stretch though, or I'll feel like I wasted my money. Frictional hasn't let me down yet though and I'm enjoying what I have played a lot.

Arguably the only good walking simulator, 10/10 atmosphere and visual design. It's too bad I can't really think of a way for them to revisit the setting without it all feeling a bit forced, though I do vaguely remember that the promotional stuff they did was going to be made into a full movie which would be pretty cool.

Simon was a pretty mediocre protog, even though him being in denial was sort of the point of the whole thing, I still feel like they could have handled it better.

yeah, that's why simon didn't understand it

>start video even though I don't care about this game
>"43 minutes haha yea right"
>end up sitting through the entire video without even pausing it

ty user I fell in love with this man

what a time to be a newfag

Best game they've ever made.

I thought the story was excellent. I rarely get affect by plot in games but the ending got to me.

It was a really good VN

Not that user but I just started watching his stuff because a friend recommended his Inside critique, and proceeded to waste an entire day watching all his Soulsborne videos too. Good channel, more frequent than Matosis. We live in a golden age of video essays.

>barely 50 videos uploaded and less than 20 reviews

well fuck me and my expectations

The endings should have been mutually exclusive instead of sticking the "good" one behind the credits and it should have been totally random rather than some sort of karma system. I know that nowadays there's really no such thing as a "secret" in a videogame unless it's incredibly obscure and both endings would be on youtube within a day of launch, but it would have been cool as hell to have two friends go in blind and come out the other side with totally different experiences.

>that last fucking line then fade to black into titles
so fucking good.

One of the few games where I wanted the gameplay to fuck off.

Honestly, I usually look down at walking simulators but this is one of the very rare occasions where I just wanted everything else surrounding the game. It'd work beautifully as a nice mini-series or movie.

But, I'm also putting firewatch on my top 10 for this year list, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

youtube.com/watch?v=SItJdkukIAU

This guy made a rather good summary of the story, recommended after you have beaten the game, I found myself missing a lot of shit.

I almost want to agree, some of the enemies were just sort of annoying to work around once you figured them out. I actually gave it a playthrough with a mod that made enemies non-aggressive outside of scripted sequences so I could search for secrets, and it still held up well in terms of atmosphere.

Firewatch would have been really great if it was more open but the map design was just a network of hallways. After the first few days I didn't even need the map or compass, just walk down this hallway until you get to the intersection, turn R/L, repeat.

Story was good though fuck the "disappointing ending" faggots

The only enemies that felt redundant to me were those blind things that worked similar to Akers.

Disco ball dude on the ship > Akers > japanese guy near the end > everything else.

I'm glad Soma is short . It's not the type of game i think could have gone for ten plus hours. The five hours the game takes to complete is a nice time frame.

That, for me, was the main problem. Sure, scary monster is scary at first, but then it becomes tedious. The writing, the story and the atmosphere would have been a lot better without the constant monsters. It felt like they were added in because the developers thought "oh shit, we need gameplay to keep people intrigued". Stil, it's fucking great.

Nah, I enjoyed the hallway style to it, but that's because I felt like I was getting to know the place better. Plus, it fits in with the whole "life is pretty mundane and you've gottta face up to that fact" vibe the game had. Incidentally, I always assume anyone who complains about the "lacklustre" ending completely missed the point of the game. Not saying you can't not enjoy it, but goddamn does it feel like that great point was wasted on some people.

I still haven't finished it because the diving suit enemy spooked me too much.

I just felt like it was a game about orienteering where you don't really need to do very much orienteering

I can see that, but for me it fit the theme a lot more. Or perhaps I'm just reading too much into it and your dead on the money of poor design.

Some of the sequences around the monsters were incredible and their design is fantastic, I think the game would have suffered overall from cutting them. I'd agree that they weren't well thought-out in terms of gameplay, though, a lot of the nonscripted encounters wore thin really fast.