I'm a huge RTS fan and there are no good RTSs in years

I'm a huge RTS fan and there are no good RTSs in years.
Could someone recommend a game like Empire Earth 1 to me? I'm a huge fan and after Age of Mythology and AoE 3 it's my favorite RTS game.

Problem is, the game has a lot of flaws and it's unbalanced... Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

wz2100.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

rts is dead because of how many fucking rts games were made in the past that flooded the market

They became as generic as 2d platformers

I love RTS games but I gotta admit this guy is right. Everyone always complains about the death of the genre, but there were so fucking many RTS games that flooded the market between 1995 and 2007 that it being dead for a decade really doesn't matter. It's not like graphics are important in RTS games anyways. Plus we are still getting regular RTT releases like Men of War too.

I have yet to even play half of the RTS games in existence. I have a shit ton of stuff from the years past that I missed. I honestly don't care if it's dead for a while, at least I can catch up now. It was kinda like the extreme sports era from 1999-2003 where every second game was some skateboarding/snowboarding/motocross game. They were fantastic but man they saturated the market so hard they killed it.

Yeah, what those two anons above said. Too many titles in a short time, very little innovation,

Also balancefags who sperged out and shitted on any game that wasn't Starcraft or AoE2 killed any desire to innovate and instead it all became the same thing with no fun allowed because muh balance muh esports.

brings up a good point, what kind of innovation that you personally havent seen before would you introduce to reinvigorate the genre?

Hard to say. I'd say that RTS just reached their peak too early and at this point anything you add would be a gimmick or just QOL improvements.

Mayber there just isn't room for growth and that's what really "killed" the genre.

Balancefags killed any drive for innovation because they called anything that wasn't Starcraft/AoE2 a gimmick game and had huge autistic fits whenever fun was present in their games. Balancefags killed the genre by stiffling innovation and not buying new games and instead just playing Starcraft/AoE2 for the millionth time.

I want an RTS that really focus's on scouting and exploration. Have fuckhuge maps where the enemy is ages away and you need to send out multiple scouting parties and that moment when you first come into contact with the enemy would be like like first contact with aliens, it would be a holy shit moment where you quickly scramble your forces (if you had even built any at that point) to get to the meeting point. It could be like 2 hours into the match. I want a real slow paced game where it truly feels like you are just a tribe living alone with no knowledge of anything outside your hunting grounds.

I forgot to mention that the early game would be heavily economicly focused and almost like a city builder but in a tribal setting. Hunting would also be more in depth and you'd have to sent out hunting parties into the nearby woods to catch wild beasts which would be way more difficult to do that in AoE.

I like to go back and replay the old RTS games. They are just as fun today as when I played them when they were new. One of my favorites is Warzone 2100. They released the source code a few years ago so it's free to play.

wz2100.net/

If you're looking for a modern RTS that's actually active and pretty fucking great, check out Wargame: Red Dragon. It's nothing like EE or AoE, though, and nothing like any other RTS. It's a more "realistic" game, sort of to RTS what ARMA is to FPS. It's still very accessible, though, and a lot of fun with friends.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but it's one of the few good RTS games made in the last few years.

Thrawns revenge mod for Star Wars: Empire at war.

Your second paragraph reminds me of Sins of a Solar Empire on bigger maps.

Play Planetary Annihilation, user! It totally saved the genre! :^)

What your describing is a 4x strategy game. RTS didn't go away, they evolved into series like Wargame and Company of Heros that aknowledge that players wanted game play centered around tactics and a higher density of action. Base builder RTS are dead because Macro was killing the genre.

I have this in my library and played it fgor like 15mins

why should I go back to playing it

I will have to try it then.

In addition to what I said before, I forgot to mention that since first contact with an enemy tribe would be so far away and would likely be your scout encountering an enemy scout or a forward mining/logging camp. You'd have to deal with logistics and supply lines to be able to have any force projection.

In too many RTS games you can just build a blob and send it straight to the other side of the map. There has to be mechanics to stop this because in real life men will get tired, horses will get tired, vehicles need fuel. Once they are at their destination they need food. I know Rise of Nations did this a bit with provinces and your units needing a supply unit and taking stat debuffs when outside of your territory, this could be expanded greatly (Codename Panzers also did this with you needing supply trucks nearby your tanks and vehicles when moving them over a distance). So lets say your expeditionary force must be accompanied by food caravans that have runners or men on horseback traveling between your granary (think Stronghold) and your caravans continuously stocking it up and transferring food between the granary and caravans, so troops can be feed, but that leaves less food in the granary for civilians and they have to work harder (you can also change the rations just like in Stronghold).

This would prevent you just building up a blob and sending a huge mob to crush the enemy base the moment you found it. Exploring the map should be just as hard in game as it was for real life explorers. Your scouts should get diseases, die of starvation, succumb to exhaustion, be hunted by local wildlife. It should be a game itself just to survive in the wilderness, and your base should really feel like a sanctuary from it all. So finding an enemy tribe in the wilderness makes that tough terrain traversal even harder.

Wargame is one of those games where I want to be good at it SOOO badly, but I suck. How do I git good?

go back and play RTS games that you enjoy.
Shit i go back to my ps2 and play WC2 from time to time.

Read more guides written by good players, for one. They'll all have different opinions on what works, but they'll all have useful information. There's no quick formula that will carry you to a higher level of play, like a good build order will in a traditional RTS. You just have to play more and experiment with different tactics and deck compositions.

I want 4X with micro level stuff in it too. I haven't actually played to much 4X since it's mostly turn based and I prefer real time, but I did play a lot of Grand Strategy and real time tactics.

The insane micro of Men of War mixed with the macro of grand strat would be my ultimate strategy game but I think most anons would be put off by how stressful it would be to play.

Still, look at my post about logistics I want an RTS where logistics and exploration matter in the micro sense, not just the macro.

I haven't played Distant Worlds, but it may be what your looking for- Stellaris also comes to mind although its kind of an example of a game that tries to do too many things and isn't deep in any one aspect. Personally, I enjoy a really refined experience focused on strategy alone. When Dawn of War came out it blew my mind that strategy games didn't need to have workers, and going back and playing AoE2 HD made me realize how little I cared for macro.

I just put both on my wishlist, though I actually like it when games get deep into many aspects at once. Though some people complain it makes them too complicated, I enjoy it.

Dawn of War is also great, I love the game but it's so easy to kill a base and have recovery being near impossible. It was one of the things that made me want my logistics exploration. Your base shouldn't be a huge blob, but towns spread apart, if one gets fucked, you have backups.

I always loved makeing backup villages and towns in games when I can but in DoW as much as I love it for the combat and rushing, in the base building department unless you are building on defeated enemies territory it's too easy to whip a team completely by destroying their home leaving no second chances.

Play Starcraft/Brood War, Red Alert 2, and Dawn of War if you havent already.

The worst thing about Empire Earth is also the best thing about Empire Earth
the game spans the whole of human history
so instead of playing a real RTS game you and your opponent both spend 8 hours teching to the last age before you fight

If you like games that are deep, don't fucking get Stellaris, it's the Europa Universalis 4 of space 4X
It's so bad that it's not even really 4X, more like 2X