How do we fix the space game genre, Sup Forums?

How do we fix the space game genre, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

visionafar.com/index.php?page=Art
support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/207605005-Skill-Extractors-and-Skill-Injectors
youtube.com/watch?v=15MNyOVzsOQ
zkillboard.com/kill/57467237/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We need multiplayer FTL

there is nothing to fix anymore, it's already dead

>multiplayer

Add something like that picture to the game as a rare random encounter.

To me, a good space game would be the ultimate discovery game. It should be like a season of Star Trek, where you actually see new shit when you explore new space. New aliens, new technology, new planets and nebulae with unique features, new spatial anomalies that do bizarre inexplicable shit. A game that really emphasizes the "frontier" aspect of the final frontier.

It would be a huge undertaking, because for there to be truly interesting discoveries they'd probably have to be hand-crafted as opposed to procedurally generated like so many recent space games do. And there would have to be an enormous fuck ton of events to discover, at least enough to fill 50-100 hours of play time. Maybe with some grand over-arching story, maybe not. Ancient, eldritch horror aliens are a bit overdone but I thought the Shivans from Freespace did it really well, maybe something like that would work.

>being a loner
>not exploring the universe with friends

Well well, I found the gayboy.

4 posts in and already some one mentions freespace. off to a good start.

also, ops pic reminded me of gary tongue.

enjoy visionafar.com/index.php?page=Art

By reserving your copy today!

Jewing aside, does this not look like it's going to be good?

for the good of all PC gaming this game needs to succeed.

break the stagnation

Scamcitizen is one of those games I want to see fail just because the fanbase is so fucking cancerous. Cult of personality and terrified of oprn PVP. Worse than EVE carebears.

>terrified of open PVP

is that a big thing with them?

I fucking love open PVP, even if it means I get my shit slapped from time to time

>mfw flying over to the villain starter zones in DCUO and killing low level edgelords

Lads for the love of god don't buy Elite dangerous or star citizen

Eve online is better and its ftp now

I like EVE but it's pretty boring senpai

All space games have this problem- shit gets repetitive

>Is that a big thing

No. That's Elite Dangerous fanbase. Roberts is also about the PvP

I'm working on a game that's basically summed up as Silent Hunter meets FTL
Hard sci-fi, realistic stealth ship game
This is my first ship that I've done, trying to get better at pixel art
yes I know it looks like a big metal dildo, I'm working on a variant to make it look less dildo-y
My general aesthetic for these ships in general is the bastard spawn of a submarine and a stealth fighter

Multiplayer dogfighting in a Freespace 2-style space combat engine.

I wish there was a single game vaguely like this that wasn't dead.

By playing Eve online

No. For the future of this genre a 13 year old game must die. Why, because no matter how you look at it the game is either boring or too late to get in to. Worse is all of those epic space battles are staged between mutually agreed factions to curve the boredom. If you're not a part of those alliances or in endgame status you won't participate because all your progress will be lost with the destruction of your ship.

oh my god. why do faggots insist on putting EVEO and any space game in the same sentence whenever a space sim conversation comes up? they are so different in game play they cannot be compared. is it because there are so few space games to compare against ?

"player_1: i enjoy ___ space game!
"ULTRA FAGGOT: eve is better!"

please!! stop

There are plenty of space sims/space genre games. It's just autism.

They need to relief their boredom in EVE with new players to gank

Make DCS in space

Also faggots data mining the game would ruin everything.

Looks nice user

I bet you play NMS

>visionafar.com/index.php?page=Art
is it that hard to fucking copypaste a fucking .htaccess?

Shit's already fucking dead and it's nowhere near releasing.

Fucking carebears ruined it's potential, and the dev himself is a supreme kike that hasn't done shit involving video games for like 15 years and cannot be trusted, especially after the star marine debacle.

Dwarf Fortress but in space

World gen creates systems and points of interest (this would work since DF does procedual generation right)
DF level of detail and freedom

Fort mode let's you build a space station and eventually conquer planets/defend against invaders
you could develop infantry weapons but also new space ships all the while caring for nourishment, clothing etc.

Adventure mode would let you explore, join factions, mine, work at a shitty pub at some random station etc.

As long as it's in 3D

>Also about the PvP
>PvP is going to be dead outside of the arena because of carebear sliders
There's no excusing scam citizen. Shit's dead on arrival and it will just end up like Elite where all the PvP paths of gameplay get limited to PvE due to the game having cancerous means for people to hide, like Solo mode allowing you to use the same character in Elite, or the retarded slider in SC.

What cracks me up is people think you'll actually be able to be a pirate in SC. They even think ship boarding is going to be an actual thing, and that walking on ships is anything more than a technology gimmick with no real gameplay ramifications that couldn't just as easily be replaced with a menu in your UI like Elite.

If it ever actually comes out.

but it was already saved by mass effect

may I suggest you make it look more like this?

Have agree with some of the others here, Eve is a great game. One of the few proper mmo's. Huge scope, massive possibilities, driven by the players. But yes, not for everyone. Just like with most proper mmo's. Most people won't want to spend the time to get the satisfying rewards.

I was playing around with this
Was thinking of making this a variant

I don't think you can really fix space games, because space in itself is really fucking boring. It's trillions kilometers of nothing at all and occasional big rock or a ball of fire.
There's an always vivid dream of space exploration, but that predicates on a fantasy that there actually is something to find, so you'd need to put a lot of work into designing unique and interesting planets, better yet full of interesting races, but at out current technological level we have too many options to have it and too little manpower to do it. Parkan did it twenty years ago nice, but back then all you had to do was make a landing screen and a Doom-like base to walk around and it was already at the cutting edge of technology; Parkan 2 in comparison came out just about ten years ago and was panned for having too small planetary surfaces for the technology available. And as shown to us by NMS, you can't rely on AI to make an interesting and unique planets because they come out the same.
Second option is to focus on space battles. In that case what I think is the most important is to have proper scale. Make a massive battle with thousands ships, asteroid, dreadnouts the size of moons and debris from the destroyed ones. Put the player in a small one-person fighter and let him go nuts in that crazy war, have equally small ships to dogfight, have medium-sized ones to circle around picking at weaker part, make destroying dreadnouts something like Lando's attack on Death star, when you fly through an opening slightly bigger than your ship and have to burst through it evading metal constructions to hit some core.
Perfect space game would combine both of these, but to make one you'll need a massive crew full of talented and hard-working people.

try leaving high-sec you fucking pussy

I'm honestly fine with FTL

Daily reminder that EVE is only as boring as you

It's still boring, nerd :^)

There are still lots of other people who play, you don't have to white knight your favorite MMO here

It's still boring as fuck in low/null-sec. You literally can't do anything interesting without a large group of people at your back or you'll just get fucked and lose a large chunk of progress unless you sperg the fuck out and have several times your ship's worth sitting around at all times. There's fucking nothing worth doing alone anyway.

it has cool customisation and a pretty solid combat system

it needs a free roam mode though to be a good space game

except hacking relic sites and making mad dosh, or waiting at data/relic sites for other explorers and tackling them

did you even get that far before giving up?

Yeah, the spreadsheets get really fucking crazy there, you can even see irregular numbers.

how do ships like these work?

so you've never played

Hollowed out asteroids.

I bet you think spending hours in front of a warp gate waiting to gank 1-2 people is 'fun' too.

I don't do that, I actually do the solo stuff you were just claiming doesn't exist

I've been a "neut" for 3 years now, never depended on anyone

Sure ya do, user. Sure ya do.

>E-Eve's fun I swear
>Just do this one time consuming thing over and over for 3 years like an autist

Even Elite has more to do, and that's saying a lot.

>I do this
>no you don't

ok

Not that guy but Eve gave me the most exciting experiences I've ever gotten in a video game
Literally no other game has given me adrenaline rushes like that

Because it's as asinine as claiming you're a pirate in Elite.

>everyone: EVE's alright but we find it kind of boring
>you: no it's not, shut up, you don't know what you're talking about, my own enjoyment of it obviously has to match yours, you are WRONG

You are silly.

>EVE is boring
>have you tried this?
>that doesn't exist
>yes it does in fact it's the method I choose to play it
>no you don't and stop forcing your version of fun on me

you people are fucking retarded

Yeah, the only problem is that almost always requires a large group and planned events. It's like people that claim shit like ArmA is fun, but it isn't because 99% of it's servers are just roleplaying faggots playing a different game on the same engine, and the only way to have any remote fun is to join an autism group, but then that group only plays against dumb, helpless AI anyway.

this post reeks of someone who only watches big battles when they pop up on reddit

you are trying to speak with authority to people who actually play the game and it's ridiculously wrong

>Screw around in null-sec on your own
>Get promptly shit on by bored people on teamspeak
Wew.

The groups are so large for a reason. Eve shills are almost as bad as Scam Citizen cultists.

>what is a covert-op cloak

case and point, stop trying

>lose progression
You dont lose skills on death anymore. And ships are cheap as fuck and if you join a low sec corp they will straight up supply you with free ships for you go go blow yourself up in

>that doesn't exist

Nobody but you said that. This fabrication was introduced to the discussion by the one person here trying to defend EVE.

If your game is so amazing and exciting, why are you shitposting here instead of playing it?

Checkmate evetheists

eve shitters and paid trolls ruin another thread: the thread

>Covert-Op cloak
And then? Fuck out of here with this load of bullshit. Now I'm starting to question if you've even played the game.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT POTENTIAL NEW SPACE GAME IDEAS, NOT EVE, AN ALREADY EXISTING GAME

FUCK OFF WITH EVE ALREADY

>You literally can't do anything interesting without a large group of people at your back
>There's fucking nothing worth doing alone anyway.

>Sure ya do, user. Sure ya do.

you can vigorously choose to dislike EVE all you want but claiming that there isn't anything to do is wrong

What do you mean "and then"? You're accusing me of not playing EVE when I am correcting you every time you are wrong about something, stop falling back to damage control

>To me, a good space game would be the ultimate discovery game. It should be like a season of Star Trek, where you actually see new shit when you explore new space. New aliens, new technology, new planets and nebulae with unique features, new spatial anomalies that do bizarre inexplicable shit. A game that really emphasizes the "frontier" aspect of the final frontier.
They tried that during the 90s, but then when games were damn cheap to make, they could only make the plot of one episode into each game, like Star Trek - A Final Unity.
An entire season by today's AAA standards is too big of an effort. Not viable.

>interesting
>worth doing

These are opinions, you colossal fucking idiot.

Fuck off already.

i'm checking out a game called halcyon 6, it's pixel art but it looks fairly interesting

>Makes up bullshit
>Proving people wrong
Please tell me tales about being a bounty hunter or pirate in Elite too, while you're at it. Stop shilling your shit game, no one in the thread believes you or even cares. Eve is boring as fuck, that's why it's losing all it's players and had to go F2P.

>Game with the most interactivity you can have outside second life
>"I dont want to interact with people"-v
Theres no point trying to get people here to play eve because it isnt their sort of game.

>I-I bet you don't even play!
>sure I've never done those things before but I know for a fact they aren't interesting!

>Anomalies that do bizzare inexplicable shit.
Endless space kind has that feel, I really like reading the description of technologies/unique anomalies.

remake x-wing and tie fighter with modern graphics

cheap joystick

VR support

best selling games of the 2010s, killer app for VR

its not rocket science people

OK A. I don't play Elite Dangerous, B. Exploring null solo in a covert-op cloaked ship is a very common thing, claiming i am making it up is laughable C. If you ever played you would know this

Seriously you look like a fucking idiot

Hey guis. Let's go play Runescape in spite of all these evefags.

>people mentioning EvE
Oh boy because nothing says 'good space game' than having a totally P2W game

You can't fool me into paying for members that easily Jagex

>EVE
>P2W

you know you can't buy skills right? And if you don't have skills you can't fly expensive ships?

>except hacking relic sites and making mad dosh, or waiting at data/relic sites for other explorers and tackling them
Both of these things require literally MONTHS of sub waiting just to do them

Thats why no one plays eve, its skill system is fucking terrible and nothing but a scam to waste peoples time

>Exploring
>Eve
Now I know 100% you're full of shit.

>you know you can't buy skills right?
Are you actually fucking retarded

support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/207605005-Skill-Extractors-and-Skill-Injectors

Genre is fine.

kid seriously, why are you still trying, we both know you don't know a single thing of what you're talking about

youtube.com/watch?v=15MNyOVzsOQ

EvE isn't p2w unless the only way you think you're going to play the game is roaming for 1v1's and even then if you have yourself a t3 you'll still get raped by a roaming pirate corp.

What the fuck are you smoking

You can buy ISK and Skills in game, that is the very definition of P2W

I just want FTL 2

I just want a new Freelancer! It is so much to ask?

You have a very unusual idea of the term 'exploration'. Not surprising. Eve shills will take whatever they can get, I suppose.

>P2W doesn't apply because only people who play by themselves pay! bullshit
EvE is P2W and there is absolutely nothing you or anyone else can make up to save face on this.

>most interactivity
>the whole social module was scrapped because nullbabies whined and crashed jita
EVE has the same interaction as any sandbox MMO did. It is not revolutionary, it is not special, it is the fucking same, and if you played one sandbox you played them all, as they all try to pander to the same shitheads and have pretty much the same community.
Stop with the shilling already.

It's not P2W because you can't guarantee a win. It's simply pay to be a shmuck.

Not off the early access builds I've played.

>you'll still get raped by a roaming pirate corp.
And what about when that roaming pirate corp are all players who multibox while buying plex and skill injectors?

Because thats nearly all of them, thats why CCP can sustain such an expensive game on such a shitty small number of players.

Everyone knows EvE is P2W. CCP knows it better than anyone, its their whole business model.

I personally would really wish for something like KSP. But actually good and well designed.

>money and in-game skills make you a better eve player
tell it to this guy
zkillboard.com/kill/57467237/