What's the best metroidvania and why is it SotN?

what's the best metroidvania and why is it SotN?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L2l7ZC8i1Ck
youtube.com/watch?v=3NSDcpoj4TU
youtube.com/watch?v=1-eYXUvJifY
the-mig-page.wifeo.com/castlevania-the-lecarde-chronicles-2013.php
youtube.com/watch?v=cENqIz_x5jU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Was harmony of despair really only on consoles? I wanna play it right now

It's the worst because that image has filters
Worst castlemania too

fixed the lighting

The best Castlevania is COTM

none because classicvanias are superior

>Best METROIDvania thread
>chooses SOTN over Super Metroid

vaporwave filter?

yes

That looks good. There's a rom hack for FFVI Advance that desaturates the colors so they don't look so washed-out. Do any other games have similar rom hacks? Too bad there isn't some universal rom hack that can do that for all GBA games.

sotn has more content, more bosses, rpg elements, superb OST, excelent artwork, etc etc

Also this (pic) is best Classicvania.

Any new metroidvanias that are good?

Because "metroidvania" basically means "game that's like Symphony of the Night." As in, it's the reason the term isn't just "Metroid-like."

metriodVANIA

Owlboy.

My biggest gripe with Castlevania IV is that it feels to easy compared to Rondo or Bloodlines

damn, multiplayer on that game was fun as fuck.
>hey there!
>rats!
>oopsie~
>oopsie~
>oopsie~

Most classicvanias are kinda easy, the problem with CV4 isn't difficulty imo, is that it feels... slow, there is more emphasis on traps than fighting enemies.

I love Bloodlines. May be shorter than SC4, but the level design, bosses, and music make it incredible.

It was the series debut for composer Michiru Yamane, who went on to compose for many more Castlevania games. Here's my favorite track from Bloodlines.

youtube.com/watch?v=L2l7ZC8i1Ck

or you could use mgba to set how much you want to desaturate the game, i forgot what settings i put that other pic too.

To be fair SoTN > Super Metroid.

Prime > SoTN, though.

this game looks pretty but it's too slow for me

I actually really like Sotn, but i do think super metroid is better overall. It has better level design, map, upgrades, and it has a stronger since of atmosphere. Symphony of the night has better combat obviously and i really like the music and rpg aspect but i think the level design could be a whole lot better.

youtube.com/watch?v=3NSDcpoj4TU

PoR was a good sequel for that, too bad for that artwork

Try Pharaoh Rebirth on Steam. It's about the length of a GBA Castlevania game, about as fun, and currently only five dollars.

HYDRO STORM!!!

HYDRO STORM!!!

I played a good one recently.

Momodora RUtM

Should I buy Momodora 3 on steam?

>Overall
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror

>Metroid
Zero Mission

looks like a combination of various SNES games like castlevania, aladdin, tiny toons. I'll check it up, thanks

WHAT!? IT CANNOT BE! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!

is ori actually comparable quality-wise with the metroid and castlevania games we all love

axiom verge sadly was way below

Ori is better than Axiom Verge.
ESA is also better than Axiom Verge.

>Most classicvanias are kinda easy
The only easy ones were SQ and Super 4 tho. And DC overcompensates for them both.

Metroidvania is a valid genre in my opinion. It adds a heavy RPG foundation to Metroid that changes the experience from a core Metroid game. The problem is that Metroidvania should be the sub genre and Metroid-likes are a real fucking thing like Axiom Verge, but for some reason people still want to call games like that a Metroidvania even though there are no RPG elements to speak of.

What's the point? Shaders emulate the GBA display already.

I know what you mean, dude
Bloodlines is fucking great
youtube.com/watch?v=1-eYXUvJifY

Has anyone played Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 1 or 2? Are they any good?

Also, how do y'all feel about Bloodstained so far?

is dark souls 1 a 3D metroidvania?

reee someone reply to me.

Seriously famalams if you haven't play Momodora RUtM.

>Bonus items for not getting hit at all by bosses
>mfw

I've been oplaying through 1.
It's good but it has some flaws. The music is hit and miss, it's mostly arrangements and a handful of orginal songs. some arrnagments have odd issues like overly loud midi horns in vampire killer. and the music looping is bad. the sound effects only play from the left speaker. Some areas feel a bit amature-ish. it has double jump, air-dash and ground sliding in a classic-vania game. they feel kind of pointless but you need them for like one or two levels.

Give it a try though, it's a free game and you ain't getting a new classicvania from konami anytime soon.

I actually discovered that the other day. I have yet to download or play it. I'm always paranoid about fan games having viruses or something.

the-mig-page.wifeo.com/castlevania-the-lecarde-chronicles-2013.php

I think Darksiders is a better example, even if it was based on Zelda. Then you inevitably have to ask the question: what separates Zelda games from Metroidvanias?

I think the biggest difference is that Zelda games typically try to minimize backtracking. You can usually do everything there is to do in a dungeon after you find the key item(s) in that dungeon. Then you never have to return. There are exceptions to this (like the gold skulltullas in OoT's dungeons), but it's true for the most part. There's also the way the dungeons are all connected to one hub (the overworld map). There is backtracking of sorts in the hub as you gain new items from the dungeons.

Metroidvanias typically have you backtrack through almost every area at least once. There's also no emphasis on "dungeons" or having one central hub that connects to all the other areas (with exceptions, of course).

the guy who churns out momodora games is an annoying twink faggot on twitter

technically iga mentioned had zelda more on his mind than metroid when developing sotn.

Ori was great.

Is correct that ESA is great as well. Don't let its low resolution fool you.

you will never get them speed shoes now user

Why the fuck don't they remaster this shit and put it on the new consoles god damn.

>remaster
what, how, why?

>sotn has [...] rpg elements,
Oh great so when I hit things, little numbers show up. And if I hit enough things other numbers will go up. These RPG elements are truly inspiring.

While I absolutely adore Bloodlines, recently I played Rondo and god damn, it's pretty fucking good. But still, Bloodlines is great. While I like the improvement on the controls in CVIV, I much prefer Bloodlines' art style and music.

youtube.com/watch?v=cENqIz_x5jU

What I think of all the ones I've played.
And yeah I completed/100%ed everything here (or 1000%ed, as some Castlevania games go by for some reason)

Pivotal-
>SotN -- 10/10
>Super Metroid -- 10/10

GBA-
>C.Harmony of Dissonance -- 6/10
>C.Aria of Sorrow -- 7/10

DS-
>C.Dawn of Sorrow -- 7/10
>C.Portrait of Ruin -- 8/10
>C.Order of Ecclesia -- 7/10

Other-
>Shadow Complex -- 9.5/10
>Axiom Verge -- 6.8/10
>Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- 6/10
>Castle in the Darkness -- 8/10

Shadow Complex is the best Metroidvania I've played since Super and SotN. It is just superb in design, which is really shocking to me considering I wasn't expecting much from it. It is also my favorite game from the Xbox 360.
I want to try Ori at some point. I heard there was no boss battles, which made me worried it might be another "art" game or some shit. I'll get to it eventually though.

momo 3 is super cheap and super short. pretty fun for the price

>someone else on this board has actually played Castle in the Darkness