Fun

I want top hear from the autistic retards here (not all of you, but there are some truly retarded people in here) why a game can't be great simply by being fun.

We all know of pic related, but what's scary is that there are people who actually believe this.

To me, that's like saying a meal can't be delicious if it tastes good, it doesn't make any sense.

We all enjoy video games because we're having fun playing them, so why can't "it's fun" just be a good enough reason to justify it being great?

Sure, fun is subjective but if a lot of people find something fun that should tell something.

As long as the game isn't narrative-riven, all I care about is "is the game fun to play or not?".

Fun is not indicative of quality by any means

Look at recent Bethesda openworld products. People go nuts over them and find them incredibly fun, but they're fucking awful in terms of their quality. I'm not going to call Fallout 4 a good game because tons of people find it fun, they're just enjoying a bad game.

Fun is a derivative from other things.
If you are unable to desribe what things cause "fun" to happen you're most likely a retard with piss poor communication skills.

>Fun is not indicative of quality by any means

In the end we are all playing video games to get our fill for the fun-o-meter. If a game manages to meet that criteria, the game is great. End of story.

You are the guy who spouts that a 8 dollar steak can't be great because next door they serve a 200 dollar steak, despite everyone around you telling you it tastes fantastic, right?

>food analogy

you're a fucking moron

here's your you

No, it's actually a perfect analogy.

Presentation is a big deal regarding food, but for a lot of people it being yummy is all that counts. Same with games, presentation can be important, but to a lot of people it simply being fun is enough.

There nothing wrong with that second comment.

Being immersed and being entertained with something are two different experiences.

You could be immersed in something that's totally depressing or something that provokes serious thought, for example.

>provokes thought
Ah so not video games then

I think the issue is more that saying "this is fun" doesn't produce any sort of meaningful discussion.

What makes it fun? *Why* is it fun?

The word "fun" doesn't describe anything about the game. It says "I enjoyed the game" without explaining why. You should say why and how a game is fun, rather than just saying that its fun.

Unless the person is a mouth-breathing retard he will be able to explain why.

Like for me with GTA5,the game is fun for me because while I don't care much for the story I've probably spent 50 hours just creating chaos and getting chased by the cops to see how far they will go to arrest or kill me. The fun for me in that game comes from the adrenaline rush of getting chased.

>meaningful discussion
>Sup Forums

If you disagree with someone on Sup Forums, they'll just reply to you with ad hominems and strawmen with green text.

There have been times when that was not the case

And those are entirely subjective views that people may or may not share. Yet "fun" at the time was used as an objective quality of the game to argue why it is better than some other game some other user likes (even though it's clearly unfun or less fun).

Nowadays we have "shit taste" instead, so it's probably okay to like games for being fun again.

Sure, but most of the time they either stop replying or go through the Big Book of Logical Fallacies™

A game can be great while not being fun. Games are a medium and can be art, product, any form of cultural category. It's just like with films. I'd wager that Holy Mountain or Stalker are generally just better pieces of cinema than Age of Ultron or Big Trouble in Little China, even though the latter are undeniably more "fun". Just because Shrek is a fucking box office killer and widely regarded as a personal savior doesn't make his films better than fucking Citizen Kane or Shawshank either. In personal conversation, and when discussing personal taste, fun is one of the most important factors. If you try to discuss something objectively, fun loses all meaning, though, because it's almost impossible to quantify. I had great, great fun with Kholat or the Path, which are fucking walking sims that bored my friends to tears. I know a guy who thinks SWTOR is the most fun in the world. This doesn't change anything about the objectively observable factors of the games, though, that inform discussions about their general quality. Some people will have fun with cookie clicker or Revolution 60, which doesn't make them greater games than Papers, Please or Dark Souls, which are described as "not much fun" by plenty of people.
Fun is seperate from "quality gameplay that feels pretty great" because I agree that gameplay is the most important thing about any game. Why else would it be a game? If it's all about the story, they should write a book, if it's all about the presentation, make a movie.

fun is not quantifiable so autists sperg out when unable to incorporate it into their autismal mindset

I don't quite understand your point

>A game can be great while not being fun.
>I agree that gameplay is the most important thing about any game.

That's all of Sup Forums bro. But none the less he isn't wrong. Saying it's fun, funny, cute, w/e is flimsy reasoning, as others may not get the appeal the same way you do. For instance, I like CK2, and I could say it's just fun, and some Joe who has never played it before can pick it up and get bored in ten mins. So instead of saying it's fun, I could give reasons as to why it's fun, like how I can play each one of my rulers differently, run a kingdom that spans all of Europe, If someone hate me I can ruin them in a hundred different ways, and just because I can, I can fuck some random dude's wife and daughter behind his back. But even mentioning all this some people just won't find CK2 fun, and that's 100% fine, as what I see as fun can be completely different from what they see as fun.

>If someone hate me I can ruin them in a hundred different ways, and just because I can, I can fuck some random dude's wife and daughter behind his back.

you can do that in CK2? brb downloading the game

You can't be this autistic....

Oh no. They are talking about something stupid I said years ago... again.

;__;

If the measure of what makes a game good or bad shall only be reflected in how many people did or did not enjoy the game, then the reliability of this metric is lessened. In essence, there would not be a way for you to use this measure before a sufficient amount of people had thrown their fun verdict in. This is a problem, and there are many problems, corruption, egoism, dishonesty, which can distort the measure further.

Thus we made aesthetics and ideals, pseudo—objective imperfect standards to judge games by, things philosophers have thought long and hard about, trying to unravel what beauty and enjoyment stems from. This is whence taste came, and where you can have badwrongfun so easily. It is plagued by many of the same problems, but to a lesser extent, and why you may disagree with the standards, you cannot disagree that they are far more reliable, since almost everyone can simply pick up the rulebook themselves and figure that shit out, without having to rely on other people to judge for them.

>so why can't "it's fun" just be a good enough reason to justify it being great?
Because it means nothing. All you're saying is that the game is great because you experience positive feelings while playing it which while true is useless information when you are discussing the game with someone. If you say a game is fun the idea is to explain what makes it fun instead of stopping there. Otherwise you might as well say "this game is great because I like it"

I've lost count of how many times I've fapped to CK2. Most of the time I have a boner just from shopping for wives.

You can even pretend the bastard isn't even yours, and if you want to have more fun, fuck your son's wife and daughter.

Fuck off it means something, because fun is not created from void. Now how about you read the post above you for an actual reason to how this works.

>strawman
>green text
>disagree
god you're a faggot

You sound like an arrogant hipster

>because fun is not created from void
It can be if you bring friends and alcohol

>something stupid
What, did you write the drivel that OP posted in the text field?
Fun guy was right. He's always been right.

lmao ayy throwback to today, i remember reading that

Yeah "something" is a good way to put it. It means something incredibly subjective and vague that is pretty useless without further explanation.

/thread

Citizen Kane may be a cinematic masterpiece, but that doesn't help when you fall asleep 10 minutes into it because it's fucking boring.

user you're going full fucking retard holy shit.
>Eat cardboard
>Enjoy it
>"Guys this is totally a gourmet meal!"
That's what you sound like. Your enjoyment of a product says nothing about it's relative quality in a spectrum of comparative products, you can have endless fun with a piece of paper, but a piece of paper will never be a good video game.

Because you can have fun doing absolutely nothing with friend(s).

Being fun is not hard to attain.

Being fun is/should be the congratulations you participated trophy.

Aesthetics is unrelated to fun tho

That's dumb.

Participation is binary: either you participate or you don't.
Fun is not binary or even measurable. It's completely subjective from person to person.

Having fun is to easy to achieve. To claim something is good because it is fun is to say living is great because I breath.

Strawman analogy with a hint of ad hominem

Your analogies are not good.

>To claim a game is good because it is fun is to say living is great because I breath.
Then why are so many games not fun?

>To claim something is good because it is fun is to say living is great because I breath.
But living IS great because I breathe, without my life this world would simply cease to exist.
If that can't be considered "great" than nothing even qualifies for the word.

I had fun playing Big Rigs. I guess that makes it a good game then.

>Strawman analogy
That's not a thing, stop making shit up sperg.

Dying isn't great. Dying from asphyxiation.

Now your posts are just completely unintelligible.