Hey Sup Forums. This is my first time posting on this board...

Hey Sup Forums. This is my first time posting on this board. I come to you because one of my friends got me this game for my birthday and ranted and raved about how great it is. Is it that good? And I have never even heard of these witcher games. I'm more of a casual video game player. Is it necessary to play the first and second witcher first so I don't get confused, or can this game still be fun for me if I just jump in? The last rpj type game I've played was oblivion I think..

yup

Thanks for your help. I think now I know why I don't come to this board haha

My friends are casuals and they didn't play the previous and they love it. It's a pretty polished game that tends to suck you in to the world, you could play on the hardest mode and enjoy yourself if you don't mine dying a few times to learn.

A lot of people enjoy it without playing the previous games, it gets a bit confusing considering you're meant to know and recognize characters you've obviously never seen before but it's a minor thing compared to the overall game.

>And I have never even heard of these witcher games
Uh huh.
Rule #1: Play the original first. No buts.
Rule #2: Unless you're mega casual ADHD, you read the BOOKS first as well.

You can skip TW2 altogether. It sucks.

It really is that good.
It's not really "necessary" to play the previous two games, because I think you get a very brief recap of them in the last one. Or maybe it was a separate video on youtube before the game was released or something like that.
But you really should play the first two games too, because they're just as good.

You will be all lost with the lore and characters if you start with anything but the first game, as even that was a direct sequel to multi-part novel series. It'd be pretty much the same as watching SW: Force Awakens without seeing at least the original trilogy first.
>inb4 "I don't care of the story"
then you will not care of this game.

Play Witcher 1 EE with Rise of the White Wolf mod.
Now play Witcher 2 EE
And now play Witcher 3 and the two expansion packs.
They're going for peanuts on GoG.

The game is great if you're not a bitter uptight contrarian Dark Souls fan.

The story is decent, gameplay is typical open world style, and the graphics... man, the graphics are really great if you have the proper machine. The game is engaging and addictive as fuck, and hella comfy.

Playing the previous games is absolutely NOT necessary. What you can do is read some of Andrej Sapkowski's stories which the games are based on.

Dive straight into W3, you won't be dissapointed - there's treasure to find, items to craft, people to meet, some rather memorable and well thought out questlines and a whole lot to explore. Don't listen to the Dark Souls cry babbies.

Get out while you can user Sup Forums is full of shit people

>all these people telling him to buy the two games he doesn't own, expecting him, a casual, to pick up the series with some boring ass games

Just play Witcher 3 you'll be fine don't listen to these literal neckbeards

This

I'm pretty sure you're just autistic...

>caring about the story and characters, the key elements in any ROLE playing game, is "autism"
Just kys, kid.

>Unless you're mega casual ADHD, you read the BOOKS first as well.

lmao jesus fucking christ

>lmao
gb2/leddit, fag.

if you weren't such a pathetic sperglord, I wouldnt need to laugh at you.

I'd recommend playing the second, although it isn't completely necessary. The first you should probably avoid unless you're very dedicated to the series.

I personally really enjoyed Witcher I and II and would heartily recommend it, although I know many on Sup Forums disagree.

This is terrible advice, the first was not a good game even by the standards of the time.

i just said this in another thread. I played the first 2 but i didnt remember shit form the first 2 games by the time I got to the 3rd. So I'm gonna say no it doesnt matter.

Fuck off. TW1 is the only good game in the goddamn series. Unless you have literally never held a fucking mouse in your hand, the game's literally very accessible to even complete newbies.

TW2 literally ruined everything, opting for that shitty, modern "cinematic" experience, and attracting annoying AssCreed & DeS fags.

>the first was not a good game even by the standards of the time.
How do you know? You weren't even born back then!

The first game has some horrible pacing and the small budget shows, the second one is clunky as hell and has some really fucking stupid design decisions.
They're both fantastic games though, flawed but still great. Witcher 2 has fantastic writing and characters and Witcher 1 has great atmosphere.
The third one combines what's great about both games and ditches the bad stuff. But adds some other bad stuff instead, like Ubisoft open world, some bad writing here and there and other stuff.
Still the best of the series and probably the best rpg since gothic 2

TW1 is better than TW2. It doesn't rush you along and the environments and atmosphere was just much better. You want to explore every thing. In TW2, it seems like CDPR tried to make it a cinematic experience, the gameplay wasn't as smooth. I don't know about anyone else but I also preferred the combat in TW1 more. It felt very fluid and the different stances were nice to use.

Everything about this post is false, W1 was okay game. one of those games that is just completely unplayable without gamefags complete walk through to hold you hand
W2 was better in all aspects albeit a bit short

I liked the first game, played it all the way up to the final chapter. Skipped 2 and just started 3.

It's not really that confusing plus the glossary has everything you need to fill in the blanks.

Also protip: in every single Witcher game the sidequests are better than the main quest

I don't agree one bit. I played both back to back in early 2013, having bought them from previous Christmas sales, and the jump from 1 to 2 was painful to say the least. While replaying TW1 has been a pure joy, I really had to push myself to even finish #2 once. I later did give it another shot, thinking I might've "played it wrong", but nope- it's still clunky as fuck game, with tons of modern consolitis cancer design choices, and completely butchered characters.

>TW1
>one of those games that is just completely unplayable without gamefags complete walk through to hold you hand
What kind of 12 year old are you?
Seriously, I had no problems playing TW1 all on my own, and I'd barely played any CRPGs before that. Do you seriously need someone to tell you the consequences of your choices at all times? You seriously don't have any curiosity and will for adventure in you?