Hey Sup Forums. I've been on an Ocarina of Time kick lately, and I've been reading a little bit about how it was made...

Hey Sup Forums. I've been on an Ocarina of Time kick lately, and I've been reading a little bit about how it was made. Yoshiaki Koizumi was one of the game's directors and yet he was only 30 when it came out. He was actually the third staff member to join its development in its very earliest days, after character designer Jin Ikeda and co-director Toru Osawa, who would help design the Z-targeting system along with Koizumi. He didn't even play his first video game, Super Mario Bros, until he was 21 years old. Impressive, ain't it?

Anyways I feel like dumping some OOT beta shit once again. I haven't done this in like a year, I think. Rev up them nostalgia goggles as we look at the game that could've been, though the game we got was excellent.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bt6lAG3QlSo
youtube.com/watch?v=vu63FPiRo0I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If anyone has any cool scans of magazines from the era talking about Ocarina of Time (or Majora's Mask), feel free to post, that's some cool shit.

Oot is definitely a personal favourite, although I like MM just a bit more. The music in these games is perfect, I listen to their soundtracks every now and then. Also learned how to play Song of Healing on piano

Heh, I like how the sky wasn't even implemented in this one yet.
That was always my favorite picture. Gives off that eerie vibe that only Ocarina of Time gave me.

i'd give a nut to play that early version of zelda 64. it's so cool looking

I think this is the first time I've ever had a co-dumper
I felt the same way when I used to look at these pictures on Zelda's Secret Ocarina

I really like the sky here. Reminds me of how Super Mario 64 had some pretty cool skyboxes. Nintendo doesn't put any effort into that anymore.

This beta shit is really creepy. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the backgrounds and character models feels so uncanny and weird.

youtube.com/watch?v=bt6lAG3QlSo

I've wanted to explore that forest for nearly half my life. Sure it looks like a background but look at that's a full fledged foggy forest right there.
Solid example of low quality graphics making what would usually be lame look mysterious and exciting
Sure that castle town layout is standard in a lot of fantasy games nowadays but there's something about that particular one that's always made me feel something I don't know how to describe
Didn't she end up having an official name despite only having a beta model in the debug rom?
Also, I've always just assumed she was in Kakariko, but now it looks more like Lake Hylia

I know creepypastas are considered incredibly lame, but since it's relevant, I'd recommend you check out If You See Her, Turn Off The Game. It gave me a similar feeling as the one you're describing about this beta content. I used to be a little creeped out looking at the beta content on ZSO.

I've got some magazine scans

I believe her name is Aria. Her model has been found.

Series of expressions.

I have all but one of those pictures saved to my computer.

What does Link see around the corner?

Whoa, I don't have that picture of Castle Town on the right. That's really nice.

>same freedom of movement as Mario in Mario 64. How Nintendo intend to differentiate the two games is yet to be specified
It's so weird to hear them speculate about OoT, like it's an unknown thing

>They thought Ocarina of Time would come out for the 64DD in March 1998

Should I play the 3D version or the one on wii u? Never finished oot in my life

>He didn't even play his first video game, Super Mario Bros, until he was 21 years old. Impressive, ain't it?
It sort of explains why the game is so heavy handed with its tutorial text. Hey link press A to read signs Hey link equip items by going into the menu Hey link let me tell you the weakness of every enemy you see

These screenshots sure remind me of Quest 64 though.

The N64 is the ultimate "What could have been?"
I personally prefer the original version of Ocarina of Time for its superior lighting and atmosphere. Most people would probably tell you to play Ocarina of Time 3D instead. They added more hotkeys and made the infamous Water Temple a bit less annoying (though I actually liked the old equipment system a little more since all of the gear Link actually wears was grouped together, which was cool). If you decide to play Majora's Mask after, though, definitely play the original version.

>The N64 is the ultimate "What could have been?"
I meant the N64DD. At least it was eventually released.

This file is named Room 120 because this room can be found in the Debug ROM as Map 120!

Also Room 120.
>the old builds of OOT are probably lost forever

Many of Nintendo's N64 games had their camera programming contracted out to a separate company called SRD, OoT was one of those games and you can even find the SRD initials in the test maps they made still on the debug rom.
Not really that rare of a fact, it was in an Iwata Asks. But I find Nintendo development interesting, especially how they rarely did everything in-house.

most of what you are going to post i've probably seen a SHIT TON of times back in the day. zelda 64 was pretty damn well documented with those pics being everywhere. i don't think i've seen something i haven't yet

That music really does get me nostalgic for the Clinton era.

Not only that, the debug crash screen in Ocarina of Time, which can be accessed with a controller input code in a retail copy of the game, says "'creator:zelda@srd44"

Would you say you missed Gaming in the Clinton Years?

We have a challenge for Eidos. In Tomb Raider III, create a storyline in which Lara gets breast cancer. Imagine the drama of a vulnerable Lara Croft, still persisting in her worldly adventures despite her illness. It needs fleshing out, no pun intended, but we guarantee the gaming world would be shocked, stunned, and moved at the effort to make Lara's character more meaningful. We love Lara, but it's about time the industry had a big shock for a change.

What's in the chest, kids?

We all know this one by now, it's even available in gif form, but humor me for a bit.

A Dried Shroom.

>Ocarina of Time
>Heavy handed with its tutorial

nigger Ocarina of Time has one of the best tutorials ever created

>Actually playing the game immediately after the opening cutscenes
>Open but nonthreatening first area that allows the player to come to grips with the 3D movement and controls
>Fenced off area with the signs tells you how to master the targeting system and side to side movement
>If you know what to do you're in the first dungeon in 5 minutes flat, making replays a breeze

Compare to twilight princess, where you're doing 3 hours of forced tutorials and cutscenes before you're in the forest temple

yeah sure the fucking owl is annoying, but he only shows up maybe 5 times in the entire 20 hour adventure. If you're upset the game tells you how to play it, you must be underage and played it much later after release. Ocarina of Time was one of the very first 3D adventure games of its size and scope.

Surprise!

>Artist concept
>They thought Disks meant discs

I mostly agree with this, but I think you should've been able to skip Navi telling you to climb vines, or at least it should've just been an C-Up prompt. Same with opening doors.

Another one of my favorite beta screenshots.

There's always something really intriguing about OoT's development, I would've loved to see how shit would've been different had they gone with what they wanted originally and to see why and how OoT became what it is.

Related to the big dead dodongo in the cavern?

Fuck this "select around" captcha

Fire Keese look something like this in the final game, don't they?

This is why I just use the Legacy captcha at this point, some new captchas may be instant but I just find the typing in the letters easier.

>one of the best tutorials ever created
Far from it. I think they were self concious of the controls. They're fine. They don't require a dozen signs polluting the village. The job of teaching the player controls should have been done with buttom prompts than text after text. They basically copy and pasted the manual into the game. That's nowhere near "the best!"

But for real, every single item you get it tells you to go into the item screen. Every single one. It's far from perfect! They obviously did not have their mind in quite the right place. There's a lack of common sense present in the game's player training.

Cool frog.

the art style of these beta pictures matches well with Zelda 1/2 and link to the past.

I've got an old Fado

This reminds me of Jabu Jabu's Belly somehow.

Sorry for the pause, made myself a 3AM snack. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Low angle camera makes everything look bigger, and then the areas themselves look expansive and empty. With very little detail and a ton of fog in the distance, it makes everything look imposing. And mysterious.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why the final game had pre-rendered backgrounds for Hyrule Castle and such.

god damn this is cool but also spooky

This was in one of the scans posted earlier, but I don't give a damn

>Clinton era.
You could've had that era back :^) sorry, I know these political memes are the lowest but I couldn't resist

I've also got the fountain hidden in the deep grotto in Zora's Domain :^)

>5th gen

we have to go back ;_;

Imagine how rad it would be if OoT looked all high contrast like this but MM looked just as it is.

Hey, third time that picture has made this thread.

Wasn't that supposed to be apart of some cut Wood Temple?

Still bothers me that they fucked with MM3D's lighting. They did it to Ocarina of Time too, but Majora's Mask is best known for its atmosphere if not its unique gameplay.
I have a great Wood Temple picture, it's coming later.

Next we're getting into some slightly newer stuff.

>Still bothers me that they fucked with MM3D's lighting.
oh here we go
>muh colorful stairs

Sure, it's picky, but you don't just do that kind of stuff to a game whose atmosphere is often touted as a major point of success among its fans.

Some more Aria

MM3D had better atmosphere.

>The land of Hyrule is filled with good and bad characters
>all the pictures are of very similar looking NPCs

Maybe they forgot to revise the baby dodongo design? Or maybe they just grew attached to the original dodongo design and paid tribute to it via the baby dodongo enemy.

If there's one thing that definitely improved throughout development, it's the appearance of the houses.

>mfw I was right about it being lake hylia

Those seem like fucking nightmares for people who're claustrophobic.

I read earlier that Navi had to be a ball of light since they weren't able to have a little cute girl flying around on the N64 (though I imagine they could've pulled it off it were a sprite)
>we'll never see the waifu navi could've been

what the fuck are you talking about

Someone else already posted this, but I like it so much I'm posting it again.

Great thread. I used to have such a longing to play the beta when I was a kid.

Anyone seen Links Awakening 64? It kind of uses that older/weird graphical style we see in these screenshots. Hopefully the mod will actually be released and actually be fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=vu63FPiRo0I

Yeah, I've seen that.
>Hopefully the mod will actually be released
Maybe. Remember all that shit surrounding Zeth and that damn Ura project? This guy seems to have a much better head on his shoulders.

I saw some trailer of it or something
The textureslook so out of place most of the time