ITT: We discuss how Steam and Valve went to absolute shit

ITT: We discuss how Steam and Valve went to absolute shit.

Easy: Paid mods.

They went from a game developer to being Amazon.

There's your /thread.

haha look at that doggo

Every single game they make is trying to some weird bullshit item shop.

They did it with TF2, tried it with portal 2 (and failed), did it with dota 2 and now csgo.

I don't even fucking want Left 4 Dead 3 anymore, because I know it's going to be full of that bullshit.

the FUCK did you say?

This man and his company saved... SAVED PC gaming.

Don't you dare bad mouth this man and his corporation.

it was long before that

Can this be a doge thread instead?

Post more shiba inu

Steam has been shit for years, this is nothing new.

Probably started with all that greenlight and early access garbage. Zero quality control because quality doesn't matter, only quantity of games sold.

They went from gaming enthousiasts to moneygrubbing jews.

I forgot Portal2 store.

It was worse than paid mods.

I will second this Steam has save PC from console fags.

Although I do agree greenlight is pure garbage... too many shitty indie and rpgmaker games

Nah steam is still pretty good

I miss flash sales

>They went from gaming enthousiasts
They never were, you idiot. Gabe was in a high position at Microsoft before leaving to start Valve. It's always been a business with the focus primarily on money before games.
From the get go Valve was about acquiring game companies who were primarily responsible for making their games, while using legal clout to attempt to shown down competition.
Steam was released initially as a DRM service to lock people into their system if they wanted to legally play HL2.

It's always been about the money. The difference is that you were likely too young to be playing video games at the time Valve started to become a force on the market. They were always "moneygrubbing jews".

>Zero quality control because quality doesn't matter, only quantity of games sold.
Is this your first capitalism rodeo?

steam turns pc into console tbvh

I don't understand this argument. Why would you ever want Valve to select which games go on Steam. You certainly don't use Steam to browse for new games, right? That'd be terribly inefficient

Valve realized they could get money off of hats and skins and shit and won't make games anymore, especially if they can't think of a good way to implement those microtransactions. So there will never be a Half-life 3 or Portal 3, and it's not likely there will be a Left 4 Dead 3.

if anything, Steam is better than before, because you can get refunds. Greenlight, early access, and lack of "quality control" are not bad things. Steam is just a store, it's up to the consumers to not make retarded purchases.

>terribly inefficient
It didn't use to be.

Now of course with thousands of indieshit shovelware games polluting the list..

They focus purely on making money rather than games

left 4 dead was the turning point

You used to worship Gaben. Look back your roots.

Valve's strategy in a nutshell: monetize everything

oh but don't forget to never police anything so scammers and gamblers can take over your service

>left 4 dead 2 was the turning point
fixed

so can someone give me some examples on why steam is "shit".

Why would you valve to police things even more? Don't be an idiot and you won't get scammed. That is the best and most natural system imaginable.

Because I don't like it

oh nice

Nah man,m clicking on random games in a list is always going to be incredibly inefficient compared to any other method
At least now I can buy those 12 good indie games out of the 1000 shit ones and put them in my library for convenience, and I literally never see or get bothered by the shovelware ones

>le steam is bad meme

kys niggers, if you don't like indisiht or weebshit don't buy it, fucking crybaby faggots

when was steam not shit? Valve died when they stopped making games

What I dislike:
>all this mobile authenticator shit making trading/market a hassle
>paid mods
>Steam Workshop's lack of features
>poor voice chat quality

What I like:
>finally complies with EU regulations and offers refunds
>the occasional gem out of Greenlight
>infinitely better and less shady than Origin and uPlay
>customer review system that can't easily be manipulated by the publisher

They realized they can make more money with less work by selling people cosmetics.

Then they realized they could even let the community do that for them.

Easy money easy life. I don't blame them at all.

Steam didn't save PC gaming, it monopolized it.

Fuck you faggot, post cute doggos

>Pic related

>Cosmetics over quality
>Steam Trading
>Steam Badges/Trading Cards
>Billion Dollar Company without any real Support Centre

What happens to my games if steam goes down?

Should I report this guy?
Reason: old forced meme

You play in offline mode.

But what about my achievements

Steam Greenlight is good. Games like Unepic and
Bunny Must Die never had a oportunity before Greenlight.

>but look at all of those shit games! There is no quality control!
There shit AAA titles either, some of them unplayble at the relase. Just don't buy them and donw vote.

>Easy money easy life. I don't blame them at all.
This. They are very smart. If I could, I would do the same. In fact, everyone would do the same

You get them after steam comes back, have you never used it?

meme thread

>Introducing the Glove Case, featuring 17 community-designed weapon finishes. Unlike previous cases, the possible Special Items in the Glove Case are 24 all-new gloves.

/thread