13 years and still no offline vana'diel game. For what purpose?

13 years and still no offline vana'diel game. For what purpose?

Other urls found in this thread:

playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml
exhentai.org/g/258598/6b59689b5e/
exhentai.org/g/341906/c606c8fe08/
youtube.com/watch?v=B07XrxUuqaE&feature=youtu.be&t=91
youtube.com/watch?v=LrejacQVb3A
youtube.com/watch?v=0NmKpnPlMXc
youtube.com/watch?v=cMFiQvWVyUg
youtube.com/watch?v=De2yLOOs4pE
youtube.com/watch?v=D0cTIGn0hmA
youtube.com/watch?v=0g-oHVdmH0k
youtube.com/watch?v=alTXxxxXnFE
youtube.com/watch?v=TYHsoCTRxy4
youtu.be/qQ-E_mZca9M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FFXI pays SE's bills
for what purpose shut down your main income source

also the game is a hellalot of fun

retail is basically offline, you can do everything solo on that game now, in a living breathing world.

Unless you are just too poor to afford $3 a week?

I have always wanted an offline single player version of this game

Nah it's not a matter of price. It's just depressing having played it back in 2005 and seeing what it is now.

It's kind on Jew-y to charge monthly for what is essentially a single player game too

It gets monthly updates, that's what you pay for.

What you posted makes no sense, you want it back as it was where you could do nothing alone but you want an offline version where you can't do anything...?

Both

>I wish it would be as big as it was back in the early 00s
>I wish they'd release it as an offline, single player version OR some kind of spinoff

And honestly I didn't know it still got updates. That's kind of nice. I thought they were just like "here have fun with what it is" and charged $10 a month

Why? You could only ever play with people on your own server, even if it had 10 million players almost all of those were irreverent.

Asura still has around 1.5k english speaking people online at every time of the day, more than enough people to interact with.

Still gets updates, still offers a unique experience in a modern era.

The game still has around 20-30k subscribers worldwide, they ain't gonna make an offline version.

playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

I honestly didn't know there was such a decent player size. I'm basing my knowledge off of essentially nothing, I haven't played in like 8 years.

The problem is I don't really have 100s and 100s of hours to sink into another MMO and it would be kind of nice to revisit the world.
>the towns
>the zones
>the music (this x1000)

Maybe I'll just wait to see what that mobile version is all about

FFXI has changed -alot- over 8 yrs, most content doesnt take "hours and hours" anymore provided you can get some people together and actually do stuff. Gone are the days of

I know the eventual day is coming where the plug is pulled, but it will be a cold day in Hell before I acknowledge that abomination mobile trash as it's successor. Just making a full offline release and don't insult the original fans with mobile trash.

SE would rather it keep "potentinally" print money for them then just pack it all up and toss it into a few month wonder single player JRPG, that might not even sell well just because its so old.

Mithra asses!

If done right it could be cool. I mean on paper it sounds great but realistically it'll probably suck

I can't see it happening for a long ass time, I can see the game easily running another 10 years or more. There are people that simply refuse to leave the game.

>Mithra were replaced with Kawaii UGUUUU~ anime girls that happened to be wearing cat ears
Fucking disgusting desu senpai

This is Springserpent General Mihli Aliapoh of the Imperial Army of Al Zahbi, she has been defending Her Royal Highness Empress Nashmeira II and the Astral Candescence for over 10 years now, say something nice to her.

Same can be said for galkas, and even tarus. Not to mention none of the races have nearly the depth of backstory 11 races had initially

FFXIV > FFXI

>tfw you picked taru so you could first person upskirt mithras

She's cute! CUTE!

This was the main thing that made me dislike xiv when I first got it, they took all of the character from the races and watered them down.

Then I saw it was a wow clone and I hated it fully.

She looks very nice in her hat

>Treasures of Aht Urhgan was more than 10 years ago

Mithra strike me as the type of people to have zero qualms about sexuality
>Mithra brothels everywhere

I think her and the teleportaru would make a cute couple!

>take just about every sense of origin/backstory/character from each race and make them all basically humans with one or two differing feautures
But hey, atleast i can customize them to look as unique and awful looking as i want, or just change races entirely since its all aesthetic now.

Fuck i miss this game

Vana'diel lives through the players, which is why it isn't a bad thing that it is online only

The only way an offline version would really work at this point is SE butchering it, since so much is handled serverside. Even when people aren't in zones, the server is still controlling all the mobs in an area and making things work properly.

It would take a big risk for them to rebuild the game from the ground up as an offline game, and work quests in to give trusts, as opposed to what we currently have going on. Then there's the whole time sink issue for stuff like RME, and topped off with modern SE, and yeah...

At least the Nexon version is being forced to comply with SE mandates, to the point that they haven't even shown it off anymore since. Matsui already stated there won't be things like Gacha Relics, so that's something to be glad about.

Tanaka is the one to blame for that, since he approved it and tried to give the fans what they wanted, which was XI-2 with HD graphics

In the long run? Most likely, but XIV has a ways to go before it can really claim that. HW hurt the player's trust, and 3.1 started a mass exodus of players due to how the expansion was offering even less than the base game.

I don't recall an MMO having the first real expansion causing people to quit the game, unless we want to classify ARR as an expansion. It took XI four expansions before people were getting tired of it, which is also ironic since WotG was where the limitations really kicked in and they began to reuse entire zones with tweaks

>being there for one of the first ever level 5 besieged on NA times

tfw all the children in windurst are a result of this man or a lot of mithra on taru /ss/

>HW hurt the player's trust, and 3.1 started a mass exodus of players
if anything, it only brought in more players. there were virtually no ARR threads on Sup Forums except for patch days until HW came out now there's one every day.

>you will never get to play FFXI because it has a subscription

source?
>mfw 3 level 5s in a row at 1AM on a worknight
>mfw stay up to defend the capital anyway

Fuck could you imagine if the HUES and Russians were allowed in
>Gil plz
>Gil plz
>HUEHUEHUE I REPORT YOU

exhentai.org/g/258598/6b59689b5e/

bonus:
exhentai.org/g/341906/c606c8fe08/

I don't get why SE didn't just port FFXI to the PS4 and update the graphics so that way there was no need to make FFXIV?

WoW is is able to update their graphics and EQ so XI should have no problem.

Najelith is better Waifu

That's because mods said the ARR threads were a general, and forced everyone over to /vg/, which is one of the worst generals now on the entire site, as it is blatant circlejerking.

It's so bad that actual gameplay discussion is drowned out over the regulars in that thread, and there has been a few cases where /vg/'s paste eating janitors have deleted gameplay posts due to the /vg/ people marking them as off-topic discussion

But besides that, 3.1 shown the team was still going to stick to the same formula that they've created, only down to two dungeons per patch, and the official forums started to flare up since that point about demanding change. It doesn't help that all the new content like Diadem is dead upon arrival, since Yoshi and team can't really make long content. The only exception thus far is PotD and Aquapolis, where it can be lowmanned / soloed, and allows gil generation.

They have private servers, for those that want to experience a game in a period where it was meant for multiple people, instead of the near solo experience most of those servers will offer

The MMO mentality that drives XIV is that people want to be top of the line. The carrot on MMOs is fresh for those that can chase them, but they become stale by the time newer players jump on.

Nobody wants to jump into a 14 year old MMO and feel forever inferior to people like Konvict and his 6 alts, when they can play the latest game on the market and be decked out in raid gear and feel special within a month of work, you know?

I remember when there was this really slutty mithra on my server 10 years back, she was always at it with some guy or other. Always standing around naked with them.

They found out it was actually a guy and the whole server of 4-5 thousand people knew about it and was being posted on all the xi forums as a huge deal, was the biggest drama anybody had ever seen. S-he and most of the guys she was with quit over the next week.

Games have changed so much, the innocence!

Because the entire plan on XIV was to replace 11 with the "better" MMO, but they flopped so hard initially they failed on all fronts with that, now its just "that game" that hey know deserves better but theyd rather just keep it as is til it dies from old age. Atleast they dropped PS2/360 support finally

>wanting the literal meme general over this tsundere qt3.14

>that one server sluts nudes that get passed around

all /vg/ mmo threads are the worst, it's not exclusive to xiv. tera general had literal pedos sharing CP at one point.

the XIV devs seem to be taking more and more feedback as of late which is a good thing. stormblood looks very promising and will be addressing the things people were against in heavensward.

XI still brings money to SE?

I remember being bros with a Mithra from England. She was actually a girl and we went fishing all the time. Had another bro from Canada. I had more fun screwing around, chatting in my LS than actually playing. Never even hit 75, got to like 47 I think. Getting the artifact weapon on my RDM was the coolest shit
Kitfisto and Alecxander you guys made the entire game for me

youtube.com/watch?v=B07XrxUuqaE&feature=youtu.be&t=91
post you're favorite cutscenes
why was toau so good
why is the jewish mithra so cute

>That time when Taj released the list of all the major gilbuyers

the salt mines were plentiful for weeks with that.

Its still a modest sum for a game they can run on the company toaster with some 5~ people team

>Kitfisto and Alecxander
Was this Diabolos? Those names sound familiar.

>you will never give naja a backrub so you don't have to pay interest on all the shekels you owe her
why even live

Iroha best waifu

diabolos best server.

Post your /playtime

>M-master

Yeah actually it was, back in like 04-06

Why is the camera work in FFXI cutscenes so good? Honestly It adds so much and it's always done super well

youtube.com/watch?v=LrejacQVb3A

It's what happens when you have good directors and have a budget to play with on a cheaper engine, one of the best parts of 11 was seeing how much CS' improved from each expansion, going from basic emotes to full cinematics

that besieged music brings back some crazy memories, jesus
youtube.com/watch?v=0NmKpnPlMXc

this song always brings back memories for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=cMFiQvWVyUg

I miss the community, you knew most of the people on your server. The LS drama was epic too, the big shells would be on good terms with some linkshells and be enemies with others.

The drama was fucking hilarious. Two people from your shell would claim and hold Tiamat or whatever and the enemy linkshells would all try MPK them with random mobs. Linkshell leaders would IM you and get you ingame and literally go save these 2 claimers. You would be running like fuck to get there before the other shell could wipe them, if you did it the salt was otherworldly.

>"gaiters ^_^"
>"fuck you"

youtube.com/watch?v=De2yLOOs4pE

>XI OST thread now.

why did playing FFXI require you to be a NEET to get anything done in the endgame

But user that's too stressful and leaves smaller shittier shells out of the fun! Everyone should be able to play every bit of content on equal level to everyone else, so we'll just make everything raids and remove any real competitive scene aside from bragging rights.

I got my tizona while working 35 hours a week

Because back then, MMOs were tailored toward MMO players.

>tfw you never played XI in its prime
Is it worth bothering to grab a sub for a month or two to play it as psuedo-single player game or should I just move on

>Why did a game made for the NEET crowd require you to be a NEET?

though they did ease off on it a bit over the games life but still it was very much about time management, you set goals, and did them in a timely manner. Some would call it a job, i just thought of it as a hobby since you hopefully did it in your off-time.

Now if you were leveling a shitty job that wasnt liked in parties and couldnt get shit done on its own? Yeah, XI was probably pretty harsh when i came to accomplishing shit

The game had a solid soundtrack throughout the years, really was surprising tbqh.

youtube.com/watch?v=D0cTIGn0hmA

Pisses me off they never released an OST for the unreleased tracks from the last leg of XI. If there is one thing everyone can agree on is that the music is just awesome and is better than XIV's ost in some parts.

No.

You'd be better off playing FFXIV. XI's exploration and world only were cool as a supplement to the meat of the game, which no longer exists.

Musics probably the one aspect XI never fell in, even the sub-par mini expansion songs, all 4~5 of them were solid enough

youtube.com/watch?v=0g-oHVdmH0k

>linkshell camping Sandworm
>has a 6! hour window
>can pop at any time in those 6 hours, in any of 6 huge zones
>if you don't claim in 1 hour of it spawning it despawns and nobody gets it
>4 other linkshells all camping it too
Devs were bastards..

sup

The story is fantastic and worth playing through. But the MMO aspects are dead.

You'd probably need 3 months or so.
One to level/gear up, 2 to do the story missions.

You forgot the part where you would sometimes want it in a different zone than what it spawned in, forcing you or another LS just out of spite to despawn it on purpose

All for mostly shitty drops, WoTG was such a mess

I don't know. A lot of my fun came from just being in an online world. This was back in like 03 and it was one of my first real experiences playing with other people online. A lot of my play time came from chatting with people, exploring, and just admiring everything. Now it's just rush rush rush to the endgame because that's where "the real game starts." It seems like FF11 was very much a product of it's time

Kek. I'll never forget the time my brother happened to be walking by and just grabbed lizzy from a group of campers. He was like level 8 and died

someone explain FFXI combat to me like I'm a retarded person

from what I see, it's just a bunch of people standing still waiting for things to happen. it feels oddly paced like it's not a turn based game but it plays like a sluggish menu system MUD.

It's a turn-based menu game meant to emulate classic FFs. Your auto-attacks charge TP, which you use for Weaponskills which are the equivalent of Limit Breaks. In the meantime, you can use your huge assortment of other abilities. Once you have Weaponskills ready, you can chain them together in all manner of ways.

It didn't, though. I knew a guy that was a manager at Best Buy who ran his own endgame LSs to work the game in his favor, AND he had a wife that enjoyed the game as well. I still think you're a prick, Mijj, but Tyg wasn't too bad as your foil

And I knew plenty of others that worked jobs and did stuff like gyms and all that, all while doing endgame at a competitive level back in the day. Outside of HNMLS and Sky / Sea, the bulk of XI's endgame had time lockouts of 72 hours, making it impossible to poopsock.

That's incorrect, since spark gear is free ilvl 117, and good enough to beat any storyline content outside of SoA and the tail-end of RoV, where people will gladly help you finish it

Last time I played, it took about 2 hours in Escha to go from 30-99 just fighting with trusts

You know how in other MMOs your DPS is entirely independent from other DPS are doing?

In FFXI it is all about coordinating the skills of melee and Magic Numbers.

>be on white mage, running to the camp and be using the heralds gaiters your linkshell gave you to run faster
>"We really need help guys, quick!"
>get there just as your paladin is at low HP, the red mage he is with is out of MP and the other shell is getting ready to steal claim when they die
>throw a max potency Cure5 to put paladin to full HP and use devotion on red mage to get his mp back up
>everyones hearts racing, other shell BTFO
>feel like a complete and utter badass, saved the day
>everyone saying how awesome you are in shell chat

I feel sorry for people who didn't get to play XI at it's prime. Was fucking insanely awesome, moments like that made it all worth while.

Tank must build hate(enmity), anyone using magic, job abilities or weapon skills raises hate. It's not hard to spam skills and magic but you would probably die. It is a slower time of combat, but it allows people time to type and chat to each other.

youtube.com/watch?v=alTXxxxXnFE

Magic nukers*

youtube.com/watch?v=TYHsoCTRxy4

Shit glad I never leveled whm.
>be blm
>stun too slow to claim
>heals too shitty with /blm
>needed for those 2k-3k nukes
>so end up spending the time camping hnm shit talking other people in /tell
>blm in other hnmls chatty as fuck to
>cast maybe a spell or two a minute
>all this time for gossip and drama talks amongst others

Only thing I really had to worry about was hitting the magic bursts and not drawing hate mid fight.

>finally getting high enough to power level people in the dunes
Never felt more like a bad ass motherfucker, as a RDM no less

>leveling RDM in crawlers nest
>trying to form a party
>some dipshit "we can start, RDM heal!"
>I don't think that's a great idea
>keep looking
>nah RDM you heal now
>pulls a crawler, which links about 6 more
>entire party wipes
>really don't want to de level, warp and nope the fuck out of there
>"wtf RDM you said you could be healer, what happened?!"

Another interesting story for me anyway
>somehow get invited to party with 4 JPN players
>speak entirely through auto translate
>bring me to some weird tomb/desert area outside of Bastok I've never been to before (it wasn't the dunes)
>during the mid summer festival event
>killing scarab beetles while this song plays in the background and fireworks are going off
>youtu.be/qQ-E_mZca9M
Pretty fucking nice

I feel what they need to do is make a handheld spinoff/remake once the player base finally dies off in a couple of years time or so.

you engage a mob to start melee auto-attacks and pick things from a menu or just macro the actions. for magic casting you don't need to engage, and ranged attacks don't count, that's a separate action that can be macro'd. so even for a ranger you could engage in melee, and also shoot your ranged weapon like a special action.

it is mostly standing still to be fair. in ffxi combat, it was an early console mmo, you had time to type battle plans, mid-battle. to do a special combo, one person does a weapon skill, which is like 5 whole seconds of animation, then a pause of a few seconds, then the second person follows up with a combo weapon skill, then mages can end the combo with a magic spell "burst". its very deliberate, it anyone else throws out a random weapon skill it will destroy the chance of a combo and you have to wait to set it up all over again. also the bandwidth / input delay is so bad you can't really do action-y stuff anyway. (something like a lv99 dnc these days is pretty fast, and most everyone can spam weapon skill combos on their own without any coordination)

with auto attack rounds, cooldowns, and action delays, it does play like any other real time RPG that emulates turn-based in the same way.

It never got shut down. It was just made PC-only for obvious reasons.

When fights go smoothly the combat can be pretty dull but man is it tight to lowman stuff or to just have that one TP move at the worst time that wipes your tank and chaos ensues

>being in one of those shells that couldnt tank a CB

sacrificial line for Proto-ultima was funny at times

JP had some of the most creative leveling spots.

>use campsitarus to avoid the congestion of main camps
>lots of alternative spots from 1~60 or so
>level sync comes out
>now everyone just wants to get in line for bird parties either at 30, or when AU starts up

Level Sync was a mistake