This game single handedly ruined FPS genre

This game single handedly ruined FPS genre.

No. HALO and then CoD did.
Were games more like HL2, the industry'd be damn great.

but thats not cod4 user

FIRST

what year is it....?

It was literally Halo 3 and CoD4 that killed the FPS genre

Fuck off Examinedlifeofgaming

DAMN IT

but can it wallrun?

What a meme. The FPS genre never got ruined.

You mean cod 2.

How?

Objectively wrong

golden eye, halo and cod killed it.

This is a faggots opinion

Halo was a fantastic fps. Only butthurt non Xbox people botched about it constantly because of its deserved success

man half life 2 really aged like shit graphically. it looked so fucking great in '04. back then it was magic

funny how some games look great in the long run while others end up looking like shit.

Not him but

Halo was a great game but it influenced the industry in a very negative way. You can look at stuff like FF7 for something similar

Cod2 was designed for consoles and ultra-casualised the series
Grenade indicators
90% recoil reduction for controllers
Regenerating health
Showing enemies on the minimal
Slow movement
Massive hitboxes
Low ttk

Kill yourself. I played cod1 for high teams and competed on LAN. Cod2 is utter trash.

also it reduced number of guns you can carry to 2

And added a grenade button that removed the risk / reward of throwing a grenade

Almost nothing has singlehandedly changed anything ever.

The takeaway from HL2 is a mixed bag.

2004-2006 as a whole was a transitional period where a lot went wrong, and it became evident as 2007 rolled around.

>anything killed anything

Every consider that it was just a different way of approching the genre?

pandering to casuals ruined everything, we need to make FPS/TPS great again

fuck a needle, here's a sword, body pierce with this
livin amok never givin a fuck
gimme the keys im drunk
and ive driven a truck
but i smoke dope in the cab
i'd stab you with the sharpest knife i can grab
come back the next week and reopen your scab (YEAH!)

that dude is a fag

whats wrong with him

he looks like an overgrown 12 year old

Dota single handedly killed RTS

I would say this but WaW & Blops 1 and 2 are among some of my favorite shooters

>calls others a faggot
>loves taking cocks into ass
oh the ironing

>linear as fuck in the wrong way
>scripted events are made to relax the player in between combat sessions
>i guess ill just fap until barney stops talking and drops me my crowbar
>"""physics""" puzzles because they didnt have anything else to show off and put them by force in a game they didnt belong
>story telling through boring bland npcs put in the most annoying spots of the game
>mute faggot protagonist that has no impact in the story development in the slightest
>fun weapons have scarse ammo and you spend most of time with that gay pistol and smg
>literally ONE level worth remembering for few reasons(Ravenholm)
>sells like hot cakes
>but hey at least headshots work and it didnt cost 60$ iirc

People to this day keep sucking gaben cock because of this game and r/pcmr and sales

If you werent all meme spouting faggots this game would have gotten half the attention Metro and Stalker did get

>>>/2007/
>>>/reddit/

HL2 Pros:
- Good physics
- Decent visuals
- Put focus on extreme "modability"
- Fun weapons
- Decent AI
- Gman

HL2 Cons:
- Shit story
- Shit characters
- Pandered to underachieving high school nerds
- Shit level design
- Shit music
- Tedious physics puzzles (fun the first time, when the physics in HL2 were novel. Not so much anymore)

The game is 6/10, only staying above 4/10 because of the impact its engine had on gaming, and the overall technical aspect of it. Alone it's a piece of shit tech demo, with one of the most bland stories to date.

I'd honestly rather replay Nekopara for the story than HL2.

No response

>it looked so fucking great in '04.
Doom 3 and Far Cry looked much more impressive.

CoD 4 was great. Don't blame IW because everyone else poorly attempted to recreate their success.

IT WAS MEANT TO BE A BENCHMARK NOT AN IDEAL TO STRIVE TOWARDS!

valve-drones will defend the 10/10 score people give it though

i would say halo is more responsible honestly. popularized weapon limits, slower, languid movement speed, regenerating health.

CoD4 started the catalyst of yearly CoD games, with mega sales causing every other publisher out there to "try to beat CoD" instead of just making decent games.

15 Year remake project called City17 when?

I miss CoD1 rifle only servers.

what is this from?

>Halo was a fantastic fps
>That level design
>half of the weapons in the game feel like shit to use

it was okay mostly for the MP but overrated as fuck

>Halo was a fantastic fps
user halo was a shit fps.
2 different types of enemies, 3 different guns. 3rd person driving segments.

that game was boring as fuck, so much that it was a chore to complete.
I did like the halo in the skybox though

Pic
>Jazzpunk trailer

>man of steel

As long as it's better than than FakeFactory

The valve engine was amazing at the time but they have literally sat on the same engine for 15 years now so I think that ended up being a major negative for them. Valve hasn't brought anything new to the gaming industry in 15 years. All remakes, copies, clones

How many good FPS single players campaigns were released between HL1 and HL2? iD went for MP focus, Rainbow Six isnt really FPS, Soldier of Fortune was extremely generic, Delta Force/Operation Flashpoint had a MP focus as did Tribes 2, Medal of Honor and its endless successors quickly degrades to same few WW2 battles, BF1942 had no proper campaign, No one lives forever didnt succeed due to its quality as FPS, Red Faction 1 was ambitious but mediocre and 2 just awful, Doom 3 and Unreal 2 focused on graphics over quality, C&C Renegade killed Westwood. Consoles had Halo and Perfect Dark.

The few releases that had great campaigns are FEAR (came out two months after HL2) and Far Cry 1. Tron 2.0 too. But for six years, the genre was very stagnant.

What that Nvidia logo is doing that? Wasn't that the times when Valve and Id said to buy Radeon because they're better?

what did he mean by this

>all of your points are factually wrong

Cool, nice argument that has no foundation. Really got the ticker ticking.

You're wrong. Halo was the next logical step in FPS after Goldeneye and it's successors, Deus Ex and Half Life.
It was Call of Duty, really, that ruined console FPS.

How the fuck did HL2 ruin the genre when current shooters are nothing like that game at all

Just because CoD4 was your favorite doesn't mean it was 'the last good CoD' or whatever. Call of Duty was an annual franchise from it's inception, and was already shirty with CoD2. CoD3 was okay, a decent attempt at recapturing the original, and 4 was good only because of the novelty. Looking back, it took all of the casual mechanics from CoD2 and expanded them.

Nothing killed FPS. Good games still come out. Some franchises went to shit but that's how it goes.

HL1 ruined it way before that. It was the originator of the FPS that may as well have been a fucking rail shooter.

Fuck the entire HL series up the ass.

>Halo was the next logical step in FPS after Goldeneye and it's successors, Deus Ex and Half Life
...boring, empty game with tons of handholding, and terrible gunplay?

HL1 ruined jack shit.

Not boring, not empty, 'handholding' is quite a vague criticism, and the gunplay is good. Halo is probably one of the most consistent packages that includes a lot of different gameplay aspects. Various vehicles, weapons, enemies, added in with a great sci fi story. Halo has always been underrated by pc/playstationfags

Oh man. I liked jack shit.

>Not boring, not empty
I don't think we played the same game then.
How many games are there with the name "Halo", or "Halo CE"?

>gunplay is good
yeah, emptying an entire magazine of your peashooters to off a single enemy is sooo damn satisfying indeed.

>great scifi story
mediocre as fuck. Shows you've not watched or read a single scifi story before Gaylo.

>Halo has always been underrated by pc/playstationfags
GEE, I WONDER FUCKING WHY?

>m-muh gaylo!
>never trust M$ bros! T-they're a soulless corporation!

Shut the fuck up you fat nerd. Halo is one of the most competent console shooters in existence, and the very first to be so. If halo is so bad, then how come a 'halo killer' never happened? Because Halo is good at what Halo does. You should just kill yourself for being such a knuckle dragging fat cunt

>xbaby gets triggered
SONY ALWAYS WINS

>Shut the fuck up you fat nerd.
Look who's talking.

>Halo is one of the most competent console shooters in existence,
BWAHAHAHA!!!
>and the very first to be so
OK, fun's over kids. Sleep time for (You).

>emptying an entire magazine of your peashooters to off a single enemy
You don't get Halo. Bullets against flesh, plasma against shields. You get two weapon slots, use them.

>thinking a sonygger has the mental capacity for that

>FPS games
anyone know of a few events/places that would make a food FPS? thinking of the falklands or korean war

>muh deep gameplay!
>you only carry 2 guns at any point
>and your armor / HP regenerates.
>and game auto-aims for you.
PINNACLE.
OF.
VIDYA.

Project Reality is getting the Falklands.

>year of our lord two thousand and sixteen
>people still think it's cool to hate Halo

No, consoles ruined FPS.

trip back on REDS

Halo 1 is objectively a bad game

Your HP doesn't regen in CE and shield only goes that far - a fuel rod gun blast will take all of it and some HP.

Halo didn't have health regen and what is considered an okay speed for an FPS? Like how many MPH

I think the the beta version had a more interesting setting and better atmosphere.

Well, it sold incredibly well so clearly ~objectively~ it's a very good game.

yeah, that's so much better and different, isn't it?
funny how even that minor upside didn't stick to the series nor genre.

I'm pretty sure it is just sonyggers and kids too young to have played halo

>that's so much better and different, isn't it
It actually is, yes. The game is quite hard on Legendary.

>the game is actually kinda hard on hardest difficulty setting
Welp.

>claims halo ruined FPS with health regen
>admits it didn't have health regen and only adapted it AFTER health regen became popular, unrelated to halo
Are you getting to a point?

actually at release I liked HL2's look way more than Doom 3 and most people seemed to agree. I even remember reading gaming site articles about this, and people on forums saying they liked HL2's graphics more than Doom 3's. there was just way more variety of environments, the engine could also handle far bigger and more open areas, and everything wasn't dark as shit. now though I do think Doom 3 looks better whereas I think HL2 looks terrible.

It's hard to believe, but there's quite a lot of games that aren't. Like, oh, HL2?

>Halo was the next logical step in FPS after Goldeneye
cover based shooting? because thats the entirety of Halo on anything but easy mode

You should realise by his overall post quality that the answer is no, he is not.

It was a pretty generic FPS on PC when it released and during development. It was successful because they ported a PC FPS to console which blew console fags minds out of the water. I think Halo 2 was the last hurrah then they went full retard with it and made it worse than it was because it left PC roots.

>unrelated to halo
HALO 2 is unrelated to HALO?
Funny how it came out over a year before the first CoD game to ever use regen-HP shit, and how the biggest FPS names of the following 4 years (D3, HL2, FC1, FEAR, Q4, BF...) did NOT use regenerating health, no matter that they came out years after OG Halo.

>Halo CE
>half the weapons feel like shit to use

U wot m8

Outside of the AR everything else was perfectly viable and fun even on Legendary

And even the AR was great vs flood

I actually only played it on PC. I expected a pretty bad game since Sup Forums at that time hated it pretty much unanimously. I picked Legendary and got my ass handed to me pretty hard by a first pack of Elites. Then I got better and finished the game. It was pretty damn fun, and it definitely is not generic, with the emphasis on big open maps (which often results in them looking bland and awful) and dealing with large clusters of enemies using whatever tools you can find.

Half-Life 1 did actually.

HL2 didn't change a thing in the FPS genre but HL1 was what caused the 90s style of FPS to be replaced by broing story driven linear shooters.

>haha ur a fag
>now let me swear my self to a company that gives no shits about me a take microsoft cock

No Man's Sky sold really well. What's your point again?

>they scrapped this ad turned it into a more generic sci fy shooter
we need to destroy valv*

Thank you for reminding me that I need to replay HL2, user.

Halo was on PC, auspie